Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe
New OP-1 for 610 from Amazon.de. Please tell me I don't need it.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CXSJUZS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

If you haven't used one it's pretty great. Perfect little travel scratch pad.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Hi, hello, I am crab avatar and I've recently developed G.A.S., going from a single Volca Sample to this:

within a year. To be fair I've already been into DAW stuff for years on a hobbyist level so it was more about "wow I can touch things and they make noise" vs "wow I can push a cursor around and make noise."

Next up: learning to play my loving piano because it's pure and good

Gear:

Korg Volca Sample
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Volca Beats
Korg Monotron Delay
Korg Monotribe
Yamaha P-35
Yamaha PSS-480 I loving love this it's so good and it was so cheap AAGH
Yamaha PSR-36
Yamaha RX21
Behringer CO-600
Behringer MX1602
Audiotechnica ATH-M50
Arturia BeatStep Pro
Not pictured: the Yamaha REV100 I just nabbed the other day :woop:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Great great so where's your Eurorack

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
i especially like the battery pack on the master keyboard indicating nobody ever plays any of this

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

hug a mexican posted:

i especially like the battery pack on the master keyboard indicating nobody ever plays any of this

It's a piano, not hooked up as a controller for anything else right now. I do occasionally slam random keys on it through the reverb and it sounds magical

Tayter Swift posted:

Great great so where's your Eurorack

Give me six months probably

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I picked up an EHX 45000.

Now my Odyssey is polyphonic.

Also the tempo correction on this thing is sick as hell. With an SQ-1 as clock master and a Volca Sample on drums, I can record drums at one tempo, then turn the tempo down and the pitch wobbles up and down for a bit, but then the recording and the drums from the Sample completely synchronize to the point where there's not even flanging. Amazing. Works no matter how I adjust the tempo knob on the SQ-1. For a while the beat deviates, but then the recording syncs right up.

A+++, would not trade this piece of kit for the world.

Also it has me jonesing for a 4-track recorder to mix down to.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
I'm trying real hard not to buy the OB-6 module but it just sounds so. loving. good. Is there something else out there with a similar sound that's not $2k? I'm not an analog purist so a quality VA synth might be fine (maybe even a VST? but hardware :circlefap:) but holy poo poo is that filter heavenly...

Bolange fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 22, 2016

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Bolange posted:

I'm trying real hard not to buy the OB-6 module but it just sounds so. loving. good. Is there something else out there with a similar sound that's not $2k? I'm not an analog purist so a quality VA synth might be fine (maybe even a VST? but hardware :circlefap:) but holy poo poo is that filter heavenly...

Sub 37 is pretty dope and has a ext in so you can hit the filter with other synths.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If VA's okay, JP-08 might be worth a look as well - my JX-03 never wows me in the moment but it's incredibly usable, and the 08 is the one I would have bought instead if I did it over. Much nicer price for similar functionality, at least.

JP-8080 too but it's very digital, though for the era it's filters sound better than they should... (For what that's worth).

Someone who's spent more time with either may know better but an Odyssey or an SEM probably has a similar thing going on, just in mono.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Sledge (blofeld ish). But at a grand you might as well wait and save.
I've been eyeing polys I could shed for the ob6 module myself but I'll wait for any potential tempest-y trubs to shake out before thinking about it seriously.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Startyde posted:

Sledge (blofeld ish). But at a grand you might as well wait and save.

Gaz Williams (the roadie-looking one off of SonicState) did a half hour vid of the Sledge on his own channel and I didn't think it sounded good at all: really thin and uninspiring, like a bad home-made VST poly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUN48WAehrI

Whereas that OB-6... gently caress me. That's a nice synth.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The KingKorg has an "OB" 12dB/oct filter model and it does an okay-ish Oberheim sound. It's got a unison mode, a mod matrix, and a pretty broad palette of oscillators, too, so it ticks a few boxes. I've seen them go for 600 CAD secondhand.

I found the sound a bit sterile even with the tube at the end, and it has a few problems (oscillator initial phase is poorly randomized, clicky envelopes), but it's a lot cheaper than the OB-6. It does a lot of other stuff as well, like the MS-20 and TB filter models.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Scatterfold posted:

Gaz Williams (the roadie-looking one off of SonicState) did a half hour vid of the Sledge on his own channel and I didn't think it sounded good at all: really thin and uninspiring, like a bad home-made VST poly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUN48WAehrI

Whereas that OB-6... gently caress me. That's a nice synth.

That's... how I felt about the Minilogue

*runs*

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Two days left to decide if I pre-order the Deluge sequencer/synth or not:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/11/23/synthstrom-deluge-workstation-pre-orders-end-nov-25/

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

as a continuum of the point i always want to prove: 'not all modular music is robot farts':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OcGypUWwBw

enjoy :kiss:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

OTO BAM $100 off at Perfect Circuit :v:

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Newwww OP1 updaaaaaate

quote:

new update features:
all new presets
new synth voltage
new sequencer arpeggio
tape loops are now automatically crossfaded
tape effect chop twice as short
tape effect chop now works at tape start/stop position and across loop wrap

in the FM radio press green encoder to autotune
endless sequencer extended to 128 steps
tremolo LFO updated with extra waveforms
PO sync mode added
sync to external MIDI clock now directly drives sequencers
added tempo nudge when running on external tempo

All the clicks are now gone on my samples, gonna play with new sound this long weekend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just saw an ad for an OP-1 on amazon.de for 370 :staredog:

Don't get excited, when I went there it was at 770, and I fully expected it to just be a faulty/fishy ad, but I almost had a heart attack at first glance. I don't even particularly want one, but I would have bought two and flipped one. Bet I'd have broke even.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah it's a scam. They want you to email them and buy it off-Amazon. The gear doesn't exist.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
So these days I've been finding myself using the Electribe 2 as my main jamming keyboard. I love being able to chose a scale and have the pads automatically switch to that scale. Here's a video of me using the 'tribe to play out a mallsoft patch I made in an FL studio synth. I also like some of the sounds I've been able to get out of it as long as I don't have too many things going at once (otherwise I start to get a bit of voice stealing). Moreover its got sync and midi in and out so it plays decently well with other gear. I've also been learning to play keyboard, but I have way more fun jamming on the tribe thanks to the scale mode helping me avoid pressing the wrong keys. I'm not even sure if its worth putting the effort into actual keys since I can just connect gear to the tribe and play it from that.

On a sidenote, my Microbrute has stopped making sounds which sucks. From some cursory googling I did, it seems that the line output of the Microbrute is connected directly to the op-amp that drives the output signal. There's no current limiting resistor or even any RFI filtering. I disconnected the brute from my mixer while both were still on, and I think it might have fried the op-amp. It sucks because aside from that issue its in brand new condition :(

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I nabbed a beta of the latest OP-1 firmware a few months ago and it had some nice features but lacked the new synth engine, Voltage. I've the new official firmware. It's a nice update - I haven't managed to wrap my head around the new sequencer yet but I can't wait to play around more with Voltage. While still far from VA it's just a pinch closer than the flatness of the other synths, and fills in a few holes the others don't cover. The main downside is I've packed as much as I can into this thing and now I've got to do another triage as myself or the community make more presets.

Where else is this plucky little synth going to go?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I came very close to buying a Mother-32 yesterday. I ended up buying a Push 2 instead. Figure it's a little bit more relevant to my needs at the moment (and it was also actually discounted, vs a retail price M32).

Is that plastic kickstand body that Roland insists on building all of its Boutique stuff around as awkward and weak as it looks in the pictures?

It makes sense (somewhat) with the synth modules but I'm about 90% on board with the TR-09/TB-03 until I get to that weird hinge bit. It takes an otherwise sweet looking little piece of kit and makes it look half-baked to my eyes.

Like, I just imagine the drat thing flapping around all the time.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Where else is this plucky little synth going to go?

If the shop I bought the Push at had had one I'd have probably bought it instead. Not that I haven't been planning to get a Push, I just want an Op-1 SO bad.

Soon.....:sigh:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 27, 2016

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Against this thread's advice I picked up an Analog Heat. I am happy I did.

Everything you own will sound better, immediately. Each type of distortion is unique and the envelope follower and various modulation points give it a lot of possibilities. I spent a long time sending fairly simple digital pads from an MS-2000B through it to make amazing warm, moving pads. Stereo is huge. It's actually kind of hard to make it sound bad, which I find is a problem with other distortion units. Afro DJ Mac's Operator/Heat video is a great way to see this in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVndOeg0YLM

Build quality is what you would expect from a ~$750 purchase - the case is metal and heavy. The knob tweaking takes a few seconds to figure out. The screen is loving garbage and I'm really surprised considering what an OP-1 and Push 2 look like these days. It's also hard to see if the Heat isn't propped up to a good angle. Also, Overbridge does NOT work yet, which is frustrating, so no VSTness just yet. I had assumed such a big selling point would be included in a Day 1 release.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Korg Monologue is on sweetwater for $299 preorder...my wife is going to be really upset with me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FXtgaAqX28P8HAQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Photex posted:

Korg Monologue is on sweetwater for $299 preorder...my wife is going to be really upset with me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FXtgaAqX28P8HAQ

I dunno which one I like more- dark blue or gold to coordinate with the silver face on the Minilogue.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
There's an SY77 on my local craigslist for $150. The floppy drive is busted, and "there may be one key that sometimes does not work." Do I go for it, or do I save my money for the local music shop's end-of-business clearance sale?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Floppy drives can be replaced with modern portable memory easily, so that's somewhat a non-issue.

As to a single key not working, I would look past it at that price. For one thing, there's a master transpose (IIRC), so you can just route around that key if it's really an issue.

I would probably buy it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My nephew has an iPhone but not a computer. I'm interested in getting him a keyboard synth with associated software. Is there anything that's built for an iPhone?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

sector_corrector posted:

My nephew has an iPhone but not a computer. I'm interested in getting him a keyboard synth with associated software. Is there anything that's built for an iPhone?

I believe the Novation Launchkey, Arturia MiniLab, or Korg nanoKEY are built for this purpose.

SY77 update: Put out some feelers and it sounds like there's an issue with the screen. Will try to evaluate in person, also looking into replacement screens on eBay.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Uh, is there anything that is actually functional in that piece of poo poo?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Finally broke my eurorack embargo for the E950 from Synthesis Technology. Gotta love those Speak N Spell words thrown in for effect. With a bit of careful word choice you can get some nice industrial hellscape sounds going on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Any keyboard with USB MIDI (basically any recent keyboard controller) should work with iOS using either a camera connection kit/3rd party iOS USB dongle ($12-$30) or a Bluetooth MIDI/USB MIDI adaptor ($50).

There are also wired and Bluetooth keyboard controllers designed to work with iOS. These can be either full sized or portable. I have a Korg NanoKEY Studio that I really like, and it even came with like $40 worth of apps that I already owned.

There are also dedicated MIDI/instrument interfaces that will work with iOS in place of a computer.

On the software side, there are a ton of really high quality music apps out there, many by big names like Arturia, Korg, and Moog. I recommend checking out the iOS Music Production thread, because there really is a lot out there.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've decided that there's more issues with this synth than I care to deal with in the near future.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Any keyboard with USB MIDI (basically any recent keyboard controller) should work with iOS using either a camera connection kit/3rd party iOS USB dongle ($12-$30) or a Bluetooth MIDI/USB MIDI adaptor ($50).

There are also wired and Bluetooth keyboard controllers designed to work with iOS. These can be either full sized or portable. I have a Korg NanoKEY Studio that I really like, and it even came with like $40 worth of apps that I already owned.

There are also dedicated MIDI/instrument interfaces that will work with iOS in place of a computer.

On the software side, there are a ton of really high quality music apps out there, many by big names like Arturia, Korg, and Moog. I recommend checking out the iOS Music Production thread, because there really is a lot out there.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

So Math posted:

I believe the Novation Launchkey, Arturia MiniLab, or Korg nanoKEY are built for this purpose.

SY77 update: Put out some feelers and it sounds like there's an issue with the screen. Will try to evaluate in person, also looking into replacement screens on eBay.

I just got an SY99 a few weeks ago. Typically the screen issues are with the light- in reality you can just shine a light on it and it's fine; it's an LCD for gods sake and it should last forever. Unless you need to play in a dark room.

A bad key could be a dirty contact. The SY77 should use the Yamaha FS keybed which is a drat tank and might have some dust interfering with the contact. I dealt with an EX5 earlier this year with that keybed and it will take a truly incredible amount of abuse without failing. It's serviceable and basically the best case scenario in terms of maintenance.

$150 is not a bad price, but you can probably talk them down with the issues.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm strongly considering a Buchla Music Easel.

Tell me how dumb this is compared to what else I could get for the money.

What I like: portability, the timbres, the sequencing and input method, modularity without the ability to expand/modify, excepting the cool-as-gently caress PCB interface.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I've been in love with the Easel for years and always spend way too much time with a synthfriend's original(!) when he brings it to meets. It's the platonic ideal of more than the sum of its parts when it comes to synths I think.
The BEMI reissue is very good and the early run trubs have been worked out for a while now. There's a couple really great 'expanders' these days for the program card slot. Still can't bring myself to plunk down for one though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got my Volca Kick in, first thing I did was pipe it through a tube overdrive now i'm ready to make some in your face industrial farts :psylon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

ive found this thing in android to mess with and get my head around modular synthesis for beginners called caustic and its pretty cool, the demo song is pretty impressive considering its made on a phone