Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most of the solutions for VR window management on the horizon look pretty poor. OpenVR's API natively supports overlays. There's stuff that already exists that takes advantage of those features but UI wise they're really rough, it's designed to render out specific windows to selected co-ordinates in your VR environment, you do that with a keyboard. Pretty limited.

If only you could interact with and reposition the windows in VR while the SteamVR menu is up, it could be a real neat solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Well I'd say V (awful name btw, how do you google that?) has lots of potential. The actual tech seems promising, it's just the UI that's crap.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
"V" may not be easily googleable but it's kinda neat and catchy.

Just spent a couple hours in Earth VR. Really incredible experience, even navigating with spacebar and head gestures. I found my way home via railway lines from London. Looking at places you've actually been to or inhabited with the zoomed-out perspective of VR is just something else, you get sense of the landscape and geography you're in, as physical landscape rather than a patchwork of memories or pictures, in a way I've rarely experienced before. Perhaps if you fly aircraft or something it'll be more familiar. It can be really intense looking at places you grew up or have strong memories of kind of exhibited with that detatched POV.

Also, just realised, the new thin CV1 interface I'm supposed to be receiving in the next week or so might expand FOV a bit too far. Maybe I'm wearing it wrong but if you really push the headset onto your face so the foam's quite compressed, you can actually see the edges of the screen at the top and out the corner of your eyes.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 19, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Perhaps if you fly aircraft or something it'll be more familiar. It can be really intense looking at places you grew up or have strong memories of kind of exhibited with that detatched POV.

I've done some flight training in the past, and used Google Earth to position myself in the air at approach to a couple of the airstrips I visited. I wish this tool had been available when I was training, it is amazing how much it feels like the real thing and would be fantastic for figuring out exactly what a destination would look like as you are approaching.

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the human scale even when you are zoomed out? I assume it's a comfort thing, but I'd love to be able to sit a thousand feet above a city but have it still feel real size rather than like a toyset.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Senor Tron posted:

I've done some flight training in the past, and used Google Earth to position myself in the air at approach to a couple of the airstrips I visited. I wish this tool had been available when I was training, it is amazing how much it feels like the real thing and would be fantastic for figuring out exactly what a destination would look like as you are approaching.

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the human scale even when you are zoomed out? I assume it's a comfort thing, but I'd love to be able to sit a thousand feet above a city but have it still feel real size rather than like a toyset.

What is human scale, does it just mean that your head tracks barely at all?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Human scale is a toggle in the options, it lets you walk around in room scale VR as if you were stood on the street. Problem is some buildings are off scale slightly so one bog standard English terrace house will appear normal while the shops over the road have 5'6” tall floors.

This changes as higher res assets are streamed in.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

Anyone running Windows 10 and a Rift should check out V which just went into Open Beta!

If you have any questions or need some help getting things to work, just let me know.

Just tried this in Elite. Looks good and could be useful but like the other guy said the interface is awkward/impossible, also after a while the cursor would move but clicking elements did nothing and I couldn't figure out how close the window so I had to just kill it.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Anyone had any luck with this chap's work (it's psvr on pc without any tricks or gimmicks apparently):

https://github.com/gusmanb/PSVRFramework/releases

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I got to try out the Pixel Daydream/View last night, some guys were passing it around.

Holy poo poo it really does run hot, almost too hot to touch. Doesn't make a difference while you're using it though.

Head tracking is incredibly smooth. Way better than cardboard on my 5x, felt like I was using the Vive minus the positional tracking. Optics were super clear, etc.

No actual games though. Still waiting for that shoe to drop. The Harry Potter thing was interesting but seated interactive VR is kind of boring. Seated passive VR seems more like the early winner here

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Have another chimp in VR because nobody watched Lawnmower Man

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Don't doxx me

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Well it tracks at the amount you would expect your head to in that real situation, and more importantly the IPD is adjusted. As you get closer to human scale the distance between your eyes scales down. It's good for ensuring there is always a good level of stereoscopic 3D, and walking around cities like Godzilla is fun, but it would also be very fun to have the option of keeping the human scale IPD at long distances.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Just tried this in Elite. Looks good and could be useful but like the other guy said the interface is awkward/impossible, also after a while the cursor would move but clicking elements did nothing and I couldn't figure out how close the window so I had to just kill it.

Yea I agree on the Readme/FAQ/Userguide thing. I am working on that but for now the interface stuff (outside of getting a number bar on the V keyboard) is sort of what it is until we get some of these other bugs squashed (mainly that Input Blocking for Elite passing from V to Elite and the other way as well.. That can be bad.

For now, you need to use a Gamepad to fully use V as the Keyboard is mainly useful for typing (including numbers, just make sure Elite/Your VR Game window, Has focus in windows and you haven't clicked outside of it). (you can also use your Xbox gamepad plugged into the PC without batteries fwiw)

To back out of V completely, just keep hitting B on the gamepad until its all closed out. Or if you want to keep the window up, just hit a bumper which pins it in place and gets you right back to the game.

Popup windows do work in some form (though we are still working on that) they open on the desktop so to input your popup info, you have to take the headset off and look at your screens. We are working on making that better and inside VR instead.

Like said above about the input blocking, don't be warping to a star or flying in a station/above a moon and use V, you will probably crash as your control inputs are blocked until you back out or pin a window.

Remember V is not a part of the game you are playing which is why input blocking has to be a thing for all games, and why making all sorts of other app implementations a bit tricky at the moment. V literally is piggy backing on the Oculus compositor to inject into your VR view with the lowest performance impact but a usable VR positioning and rendering ability that is pretty amazing when you take into account how it all works. Sure any single game could do the same thing, but this works in almost any game using the Oculus Runtime and just needs the prerequsite of the Xbox Gamepad that all CV1's came with, and for now, a little keyboard input for the keyboard numbers (really no idea why that bug slipped by so long, guess we just got used to using the Physical keyboard for input as it is much faster and we are good at typing blind).

It is very early beta so all of these issues and complaints are valid and consistent across all testers including myself. So they will be fixed and V will get much better.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

EdEddnEddy posted:

It is very early beta so all of these issues and complaints are valid and consistent across all testers including myself. So they will be fixed and V will get much better.

Please for the love of anything you consider holy switch to a name that I can actually tell people about. I don't even know if it's supposed to be "Vee" or "Five" and neither are searchable.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Zero VGS posted:

You don't really zoom out in Google Earth, you grow in size instead. If you were to be at a couple of thousand feet up as a normal size human you loose most sense of stereoscopy (much like looking out from a plane mountains and buildings don't have that much scale. When you are a giant instead, mountains have much more visible size but the effect is that it looks like toys or that you are Godzilla. That's super awesome and everything, but he specifically wants to recreate the feeling of being a pilot in a plane which it won't do.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Please for the love of anything you consider holy switch to a name that I can actually tell people about. I don't even know if it's supposed to be "Vee" or "Five" and neither are searchable.

Not my call, but if you search HelloV (It is Pronounced Vee) it is the first thing to come up.

Why V? Haven't a clue. V was originally sort of a VR marketplace like Weve 2 years ago, but now is this VR dashboard so.. I dono. I'll talk to the CEO.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Not my call, but if you search HelloV (It is Pronounced Vee) it is the first thing to come up.

Why V? Haven't a clue. V was originally sort of a VR marketplace like Weve 2 years ago, but now is this VR dashboard so.. I dono. I'll talk to the CEO.

Wait, is it HelloV or V? HelloV is a lot better, like a ton better. Not descriptive, but at least possible to talk about and search for. I missed if that's what you called it at some point, sorry

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Onward should be retitled "Get PTSD in your home!"

loving hell, I had some really intense firefights.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If anyone's been thinking about buying, apparently the Vive is going to be $100 off for Black Friday (from HTC and all major retailers). It wouldn't surprise me if the Rift gets something similar, as well.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Seconded, please. I was trying to provide feedback in the earlier betas after it straight up stopped working on my low-end setup, but it was hard enough finding V on the start menu let alone searching for the Facebook page etc. Nice prog when it works though!

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I tried V this weekend and unfortunately had to remove it almost instantly. :(

I love the idea of it, but as someone who exclusively uses Lastpass for storing passwords, it's effectively impossible to log into any of the services. Is there some easier way to log in without requiring the physical typing of passwords?

The actual software is beautiful, and didn't affect performance in the slightest, but the usability definitely could use some work. Even aside from my password issues, I couldn't really figure out how to use stuff in-app, and taking my headset off and on repeatedly in order to look things up is not the best way to get me excited.

Lastly, couldn't get the "tap-tap" to work at all, and sometimes the UI would just appear/disappear all on its own. Are you using the mic to detect the taps? Does my mouth-breathing sound too much like a tap?

All in all, though, good effort. I love the concept and I can't wait to see it further improved.

Pryce fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 21, 2016

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
http://blog.vive.com/us/2016/11/black-friday-2016/

Looks like HTC's putting the vive on sale for black friday/cyber monday. $100 off

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

I dono. I'll talk to the CEO.

Please ask him/her to add webcam output as an option, it'd be super great to point cameras on my keyboard/dog/self/burrito and keep an eye on them while I'm in-game. I'd use that way more than the other doohickeys it supports currently.

Edit: Or integration with OBS could let them do most of the heavy lifting for you..

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 21, 2016

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

for now, a little keyboard input for the keyboard numbers (really no idea why that bug slipped by so long, guess we just got used to using the Physical keyboard for input as it is much faster and we are good at typing blind).

Just to be clear, the issue I had was there was no way whatsoever to get a number in the address bar of the browser. Other keyboard buttons worked, but nothing happened when I pressed a number. For text inputs in web pages numbers were working. This was a real big issue for me, as I was trying to stream my own content into the game, so the first thing I wanted to try was a local IP address with a port number. I had to set up a web page on my local box on the default http port just to forward me onto a specific port on another IP on my local network by typing localhost.

I'd suggest the on-screen keyboard should also have a numbers/symbols mode. Maybe it's there and I couldn't work out how to switch to it, but I tried all the buttons on my controller and nothing seemed to do it.

Again, echoing there should be direct support for local content. OBS is even open source so you could probably rip out what they do to grab window content from arbitrary programs, then you don't need to support a whole load of file formats or devices. You could even get around stuff like that guy's password issue since he could just use his primary browser.

Another suggestion while I'm at it - allow the window's aspect ratio to be changed. The portrait browser window is not ideal for viewing widescreen content, which apart from the obvious video, most websites are optimised for these days.

While my experience was an intensely frustrating hour or two I do like the concept, and it's not far off usable.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

BabelFish posted:

http://blog.vive.com/us/2016/11/black-friday-2016/

Looks like HTC's putting the vive on sale for black friday/cyber monday. $100 off

If you want to try VR this is by far and away the cheapest way to do touch controls and roomscale when the sale kicks off.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pryce posted:

I tried V this weekend and unfortunately had to remove it almost instantly. :(

I love the idea of it, but as someone who exclusively uses Lastpass for storing passwords, it's effectively impossible to log into any of the services. Is there some easier way to log in without requiring the physical typing of passwords?

The actual software is beautiful, and didn't affect performance in the slightest, but the usability definitely could use some work. Even aside from my password issues, I couldn't really figure out how to use stuff in-app, and taking my headset off and on repeatedly in order to look things up is not the best way to get me excited.

Lastly, couldn't get the "tap-tap" to work at all, and sometimes the UI would just appear/disappear all on its own. Are you using the mic to detect the taps? Does my mouth-breathing sound too much like a tap?

All in all, though, good effort. I love the concept and I can't wait to see it further improved.

I think I saw something that said ASW was messing with the tapping somehow, so I don't think it works at the moment

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xxmQH1Rp4

I look forward to Homeless Wizard Fight Club very much

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

..btt posted:

Just to be clear, the issue I had was there was no way whatsoever to get a number in the address bar of the browser. Other keyboard buttons worked, but nothing happened when I pressed a number. For text inputs in web pages numbers were working. This was a real big issue for me, as I was trying to stream my own content into the game, so the first thing I wanted to try was a local IP address with a port number. I had to set up a web page on my local box on the default http port just to forward me onto a specific port on another IP on my local network by typing localhost.

I'd suggest the on-screen keyboard should also have a numbers/symbols mode. Maybe it's there and I couldn't work out how to switch to it, but I tried all the buttons on my controller and nothing seemed to do it.

Again, echoing there should be direct support for local content. OBS is even open source so you could probably rip out what they do to grab window content from arbitrary programs, then you don't need to support a whole load of file formats or devices. You could even get around stuff like that guy's password issue since he could just use his primary browser.

Another suggestion while I'm at it - allow the window's aspect ratio to be changed. The portrait browser window is not ideal for viewing widescreen content, which apart from the obvious video, most websites are optimised for these days.

While my experience was an intensely frustrating hour or two I do like the concept, and it's not far off usable.

Ok I am going to have to take a look at this myself to see what's going on. I have gone to a lot of numbered URL's in the past with V so something may be off if you can't type in a Number using your Physical keyboard in the URL bar.. Grr.

Fix one bug, 3 more pop up. The onscreen keyboard should have been fixed a few versions back but seems to have reverted in some way so yea, that is to be fixed as well. (might be related).

And the Local Content would be fantastic, however currently V is just a Chromium web browser shoved inside VR. Once we have this dialed in the goal is to make it easy to add "plugins" of sort through a SDK that can be for anything like local apps, certain game specific functions, etc. Right now polishing the current WebApp design and adding support for Vive/Touch/etc and polishing the UI as well as allowing the ability to adjust the size and shape of the window would be a good thing to focus on currently.

I have heard some promise of people using VLC to stream footage to a local page you can connect too to watch video or probably view webcam footage you are capturing. Also others have used things like gotomypc or other web based remote desktop function to see their desktop and such. Its pretty neat some of the workarounds some of the users have found. Though getting a webcam passthrough might move up the list as there have been quite a few people that want to keep an eye on their cats.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

EdEddnEddy posted:

And the Local Content would be fantastic, however currently V is just a Chromium web browser shoved inside VR. Once we have this dialed in the goal is to make it easy to add "plugins" of sort through a SDK that can be for anything like local apps, certain game specific functions, etc. Right now polishing the current WebApp design and adding support for Vive/Touch/etc and polishing the UI as well as allowing the ability to adjust the size and shape of the window would be a good thing to focus on currently.
And therein lies the problem. It should have been built for window capture from the ground up, loving around with an baked-in web browser just means now you're stuck making compromises elsewhere to pay for that decision.

That may sound hyperbolic, but I assure you it's not meant to be. Focusing on your current design means that if someone comes along with something that does window capture before/better than V, you'd better have an answer ready. Right now it's the only game in town on the Oculus side. The moment that changes and someone manages to port over OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal to the Oculus SDK or something, V loses a ton of relevance.

I wanted to like V, but holy poo poo it's so incredibly infuriating to try and do anything with. You call those workarounds neat, I call them symptomatic of larger issues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
http://news.xbox.com/2016/11/22/xbox-one-game-streaming-coming-windows-10-pcs-oculus-rift/

On December 12th, you can play xbox games on your Rift.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Aren't you going to be able to play xbox games on your PC soon anyway? Then you can just play them on your PC in your Rift instead of this Rube Goldberg machine

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not all Xbox games. One can assume that nearly all first/second party games will probably work on PC. There's no guarantee that third party games will.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Isn't this what everyone mocked with that early video of the woman playing Forza with a Rift looking around a VR living room?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Isn't this what everyone mocked with that early video of the woman playing Forza with a Rift looking around a VR living room?
You can tell they really took it to heart, now you're playing Xbox games in a virtual water temple

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

homeless snail posted:

You can tell they really took it to heart, now you're playing Xbox games in a virtual water temple

Or in the set from Total Recall

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
While it's not as good a deal as a straight $100 off, Oculus is offering $100 Oculus Home credit with the purchase of a Rift between Nov 24th - 28th if purchased at Best Buy or the Microsoft Store.

http://www.roadtovr.com/black-fridaycyber-monday-deal-best-buy-offers-100-oculus-store-credit/

edit: and Amazon

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 23, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Are there any XBone exclusives actually worth playing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

El Grillo posted:

Are there any XBone exclusives actually worth playing?

If you had an xbone, you'd probably already know. If you don't have one, there's no point in getting one.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This Tuesday Oculus will be announcing/listing 50+ (!) Touch launch titles
https://www.oculus.com/blog/bring-vr-home-for-the-holidays/

Also I don't remember seeing it posted here, but Quill will also be free when it's released.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/17/oculus-is-giving-away-its-mesmerizing-vr-painting-tool-quill/

edit: that $100 Home credit also applies to Amazon purchases.

edit 2: Should probably clarify it's not gonna be 50 new games, but includes games already out on Steam, and games that will be getting Touch support on Dec 6th.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 23, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If you had an xbone, you'd probably already know. If you don't have one, there's no point in getting one.
Oh loving lol, for some reason I'd assumed this was their next step in Windows/Xbox integration, i.e. you could play Xbox games on your PC and use Rift. But then the bigger story would've obviously been the final PC/Xbox platform integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty excited for I Expect You to Die. I don't know if it will be any good anymore, but the demo months ago was pretty cool.