Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

McNally posted:

Sweet, I got promoted

Don't worry. DFAS will catch it and cut your check to recoup the extra pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Genocide Tendency posted:

Don't worry. DFAS will catch it and cut your check to recoup the extra pay.

But only after six months of overpayment.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

TBeats posted:

But only after six months of overpayment.

Might be an Air Force thing, but does the Army personnel dept randomly demote people because they cant read an enlistment contract and then tell finance that you were over paid for a year and a half?

Because thats a thing.

Also the shirt telling you that its your problem to fix and by the way you need to learn how to control your finances.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Might be an Air Force thing, but does the Army personnel dept randomly demote people because they cant read an enlistment contract and then tell finance that you were over paid for a year and a half?

Because thats a thing.

Also the shirt telling you that its your problem to fix and by the way you need to learn how to control your finances.

You're loving kidding, right? That's, like, the base operation standard. It gets more hosed up from there.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

army thread platinum users should get a little green dick as the icon instead of the grenade imo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We had a SSG in my unit that was married before he joined the Army get hammered by DFAS because they thought he was just scamming them. So he got a nastygram for 13 years worth of BAH/BAS and two deployments worth of family sep pay. His wife had most assuredly not filed for divorce, the computer just randomly decided that day to poo poo the bed.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Because thats a thing.

Never had this but I did have all of my allotments just randomly stop one month. When I went to finance to find out why, they told me that I had to have submitted stop allotment forms myself because that's the only way that could have happened. :psyduck:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is DFAS running on computers yet? Cause saying 'the computer system hosed up' is being too lenient from what I know. Last article I read on it they were even more jacked up and stone age with their literal paperwork calculations than the VA. Like, randomly dropping your allotments was probably them not able to read a hand written SSN properly and applying someone else's request to you, so they hosed you up and the other guy will get dicked over and have his pay cut when they figure it out.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
DFAS can't even figure out how faxes work, I doubt they can understand computers.

p.s. Eat a dick, DFAS. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Thread full of IDRs

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

TBeats posted:

Thread full of IDRs
Is MyPay down for you, too??

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Just helped a guy this morning that hadn't been paid while he was on orders for 45 days. There was a hiccup when the orders started because he got paid for a drill weekend that first week he was on orders. I went in, collected the duty, resubmitted the orders. That was beginning/mid October. A few weeks ago he and I both got emails from the pay center saying he needed to submit some duty certification forms or else they'd collect. Except he still hadn't been paid. He came in today and I called the pay center. She said she couldn't figure out why he hadn't been paid yet. Put me on hold. Finally came back, and nobody at the pay center reinput his orders until yesterday. And people wonder why soldiers wanna get out.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

army thread platinum users should get a little green dick as the icon instead of the grenade imo

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Carteret posted:

:ssh: Some civilian jobs that have nothing to do with the government use military time :ssh:

24 hour clocks are also commonly used in most of the civilized world: http://m.imgur.com/5nTbinL?r

The metric system and clocks are two things the military gets right. I use 24 hour time on all of my clocks but you're still a tool if you actually say 1300 or 1900, etc. in conversations.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 22, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

What always got me were the people that insisting on talking like that even when it wasn't relevant to the situation.

"Alright boss man it's 2 and-

"1400."

"What?"

"It's 1400."

Dude. It's not that serious

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Well in the army you gotta be clear because "be at the company at 3" could easily mean 3am for weapons draw for a 630am ruck march.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The only time I ever did operational work someone gave me an $800 advance without telling me. Then they failed to deduct it from my usual pay so 12 months later I get an e-mail from NZDF HQ demanding $800. I guess I was pretty dumb because I didn't work it out but on the payslip it was divided into a million different factors with acronym names so I just thought that real work paid way better than training.

Also had my Lieutenant call me out of the blue this year and ask me why I was leaving the army. Apparently someone out there can't handle the concept of multiple people in the army having the same name. I'm convinced that all administration for the entire NZDF is carried out on the same communal excel spreadsheet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
At gitmo we had a 60GB spreadsheet task tracker. Every PA unit that came through just added a sheet. It even had full interview transcripts in a cell for "security and tracking" purposes

:negative:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

At gitmo we had a 60GB spreadsheet task tracker. Every PA unit that came through just added a sheet. It even had full interview transcripts in a cell for "security and tracking" purposes

This is amazing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I can't imagine it being possible to load a 60 gb spreadsheet in any reasonable amount of time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We had to leave a computer on all the time. Loading it off of the network share killed all syncing for the day. Accidentally clicking another page ate up, like, the morning.

Our entire network share was only 130GB.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I bet that was the brainchild of a 42 year old E8 in the S3 who had never heard of literally any other way of doing that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

o7 ty 4 your sacrifice

I bet that was run on a lovely old government computer as well?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, dell optiplex whatevers.

I would do my work on a local copy, then copy paste to the appropriate section of the sheet. We weren't allowed cds or usb drives, obviously, but I had a router running dd-wrt as a wired bridge and transfered files that way. S3 gave us network adapter access to put files up on dvids using a crossover cable to the PAO's macbooks. I didn't use any of that poo poo because I was a medic attached to them, but it was a nice workaround.

God almighty if you accidentally hit ctrl+f or ctrl+p. We had ms access and could easily make a database, but :shrug: THAT'S THE WAY IT'S ALWAYS BEEN AND THE SOPs ARE ALREADY WRITTEN

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 22, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Bet it was on NIPR too.

I threw the whole command under the bus when I left my last command because all the sweet Intel lying around on machines that could trivially access the internet.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I can't imagine it being possible to load a 60 gb spreadsheet in any reasonable amount of time.

ive seen people with 100+gb outlook pst files

multiple people

oh hey gotta keep all these server health reports from 6 years ago

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My company had as many Alpha Rosters as there were ops clerks on that same computer. Every dude would get the job, look at the spreadsheet and then make a new and improved version. Rinse/repeat.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah I took over being armorer and did that poo poo with the roster of which gun bit belongs to which person and etc. because that poo poo was a mess. Also redesigned the signout forms since the normal ones have room for like five entries, which I guess was okay in 1970 or whenever but loving sucks nowadays since rifle / optic / laser / light / NVGs / all that other poo poo make each soldier take up 1-2 pages of signout (we didn't do weapon cards for some reason?), so when the whole company draws it's like 250 pages of documentation. Anyway I just shrank the whole thing down so I could fit a squad's worth of crap onto a single page, and I guess that's a really big deal because some colonel yelled at me during a security inspection. I guess it's okay to steal an M4 if you only signed a fake form?? What a jerk. <:mad:>

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I felt really bad for my soldier who got tasked to be an Armorer in my CM company, and that had to be the most basic poo poo. It was like 90% M16s, some M4s, 1 (1) M9 and a couple of SAWs

Being that in a cav/armor/inf company must just be miserable

but of course everything in the Army is miserable all the time forever.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
we had 228 people in our company, everyone was issued M16s, 75% of us were issued M9s in addition, plus your usual smattering of 249s/240s etc.

then we got issued 250 M4s about two months before deployment along with a bunch of NEW 249s/240s/etc., with the assumption that rear d would turn in all the old stuff

they didn't lol

so in the two months of demob or so our armory had upwards of like 1000 weapons

it was not good times

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

we had 228 people in our company, everyone was issued M16s, 75% of us were issued M9s in addition, plus your usual smattering of 249s/240s etc.

then we got issued 250 M4s about two months before deployment along with a bunch of NEW 249s/240s/etc., with the assumption that rear d would turn in all the old stuff

they didn't lol

so in the two months of demob or so our armory had upwards of like 1000 weapons

it was not good times

I sure hope that the M9s were issued to your 240/249 gunners before everyone else but I think it's a safe bet that they weren't issued to the guys that needed them most.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I had a NBC room in korea and one of my 1sg insisted on doing everything by the masks Serial number and got pissed because they were all the same.

Guy was insane so trying to explain lot numbers to him was hard but whatever man

When I was on CQ he used to have me go knock on NCOs doors at like 11pm just to bitch about something to them man it was crazy. I was going to type that I hope he killed himself when he retired but that would be mean so I hope he at least realizes how much of a dick he was for no reason (he doesnt)

suck my dick 1sg DUFFY

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Pesticide20 posted:

I sure hope that the M9s were issued to your 240/249 gunners before everyone else but I think it's a safe bet that they weren't issued to the guys that needed them most.

You know drat well it was like an OML by rank

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Being that in a cav/armor/inf company must just be miserable

but of course everything in the Army is miserable all the time forever.

It wasn't that bad to be honest, I actually kind of volunteered for it. My first deployment sucked rear end in a top hat and we got blown up and shot at a lot so I kind of didn't want to do real infantry poo poo anymore and getting into the company headquarters section was the easiest way to accomplish that. I ended up getting stop-lossed for my second deployment and mostly rode a desk instead of running up and down mountains so I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

It wasn't that bad to be honest, I actually kind of volunteered for it. My first deployment sucked rear end in a top hat and we got blown up and shot at a lot so I kind of didn't want to do real infantry poo poo anymore and getting into the company headquarters section was the easiest way to accomplish that. I ended up getting stop-lossed for my second deployment and mostly rode a desk instead of running up and down mountains so I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

yeah man I can see it if you want to sham out in theater, fair enough. Sorry I was thinking purely garrison! I'm sure it depends on your leadership like everything else too but this guy was pulling like 0400-1900 shifts all the time just for paperwork poo poo and I hated it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I kind of wish that I had made a sterilized copy of the roster I made for my troop so that other dudes could use it. In the year or so that I had the training room, I got rid of most of the hot garbage that previous dudes had made and replaced it all with one really simple, clean Excel file that contained the handful of important spreadsheets and automated a lot of routine bullshit. It was a (very weird) point of pride that I had the best loving spreadsheets in the squadron, but it mainly evolved that way because "training room stuff" is a bulletproof way to get out of motor pool Monday.

e: Not 60GB, though, gently caress that's dumb. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 23, 2016

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Pesticide20 posted:

This is the other nice thing about being a washed up dude from the line manning the arms room, I was able to mostly hook people up with the poo poo they wanted / needed. I was also a little bit of a dicksuck since that was the only way to get anything accomplished with my 1SG but was able to move around equipment so gunners had pistols and headquarters dudes had surplus M16s instead of new M4s or whatever. I loving hated the previous armorer when I was a SAW gunner since it took me four loving months to get replacement parts even though my weapon would jam constantly, so I became the friendly CLP ghost and hooked everyone up with all the supplies they're actually supposed to get instead of hoarding them like a weirdo.

I also ended up doing ammo and there's a fuckton of cool stuff you can order - the Mk 19 has 40mm flechette rounds which are 99% useless in Afghanistan but pretty sick nasty to shoot at the range, you can get belted explosive ammo for the .50-cal, etc. I really liked helping everyone out. :3:

yeah man I can see it if you want to sham out in theater, fair enough. Sorry I was thinking purely garrison! I'm sure it depends on your leadership like everything else too but this guy was pulling like 0400-1900 shifts all the time just for paperwork poo poo and I hated it.

Yeah it had its share of bullshit but like you said every drat thing in the Army does. Probably got loving ulcers from worrying about tracking down all the bajillions of dollars of ~precious equipment~ every inventory, especially on deployment where invariably someone was on leave or a squad leader showed some heart initiative and rearranged all the equipment or whatever, but yeah still preferable to my previous Afghan experiences.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

Engineer unit, just about anybody involved with vehicles and heavy equipment got them.

We had six platoons - 3x line units, 1x A&O (equipment), 1x hq plt, 1x maintenance platoon

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Being in a tank company as a PFC and carrying an M9 around a bunch of infantry SNCOs and officers got you some dirty motherfuckin' looks.

Going by range performances there should be a reg that officers shouldn't be allowed to hold an M9 period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've been out for about 14 months now and I still keep finding old army poo poo laying around, but never anything good or worthwhile. I did find my black silks which are nice but otherwise its just crap like this that I shoved into a box incase i needed it for CIF or a layout or whatever dumb poo poo, you know what I mean.

Anyhow the latest box was like a billion in won coins. some aams and about a thousand mismatched EYE PRO poo poo including the nylon cases

• Locked thread