Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is there any information out there on the team that's working on the FFVII remake? Haven't been following it that closely, but I'm hoping there's at least someone on there that's going to try not to gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tetstuya Nomura directed for several weeks before realizing he'd been assigned to the project.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Motto posted:

Tetstuya Nomura directed for several weeks before realizing he'd been assigned to the project.

Bodes well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Motto posted:

He thinks they should be remaking V instead.

Don't wait for the remake, just play the for the most part endearingly janky and SUPER 1996 original.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cleretic posted:

He thinks they should be remaking V instead.

:agreed:

Then remake 6

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They already remade 5 and 6, so selfish

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This is still an amazing quote

quote:

“As pre-production went along I offered my opinions on what I thought should be done. Mr. Kitase would ask me how the individual elements should be adjusted in fine detail.

“It was very perplexing. Then one day, as I was checking the internal company presentation video it said ‘Director Tetsuya Nomura’ at the end. I called up Mr. Kitase and said, ‘It says that I’m the director for some reason.’ To which he replied, ‘Of course it does.’”

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Nothing says project ownership like not knowing you were assigned the project.

But maybe that's the key with Nomura. Maybe pressure gets to him. Maybe they shouldn't have said anything and let him unknowingly direct the whole thing until it finished and he wouldn't have found out until some fan sent him a screenshot of the credits all "thank you so much, Nomura-san!"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

bloodychill posted:

Nothing says project ownership like not knowing you were assigned the project.

But maybe that's the key with Nomura. Maybe pressure gets to him. Maybe they shouldn't have said anything and let him unknowingly direct the whole thing until it finished and he wouldn't have found out until some fan sent him a screenshot of the credits all "thank you so much, Nomura-san!"

I mean, maybe there could be something to that. Dude's bouncing around between a bunch of different projects and VII is presumably really early production at this point so it might not be an all hands on deck type of situation. Still looks pretty poor though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

How? You've seen that he has deep problems with loss. You've seen that he's starting to come out of his shell with regards to interacting with people. You see that he's starting to form genuine attachments and care for people. And you've seen that Rinoa is the one actively pushing him to engage more with others and is a pretty driving force behind him doing those things.

Just with that alone, it's obvious to see how he'd come crumbling down and basically be reduced to a helpless kid in a way when the thing that was supporting him disappears and he doesn't have the emotional intelligence or maturity to deal with it.

Right up until Rinoa goes into a coma, Squall continues to be pretty dismissive and disinterested in her. He treats her like a nuisance at worst, and neutral at best. When she was dangling for her life off the side of the Garden, right before her coma, the only reason Squall did anything to help her is because his team wouldn't stop nagging him about it. He was basically going "well it sucks she's in danger but I've got bigger problems here".

And then she goes into a coma and suddenly she's all he can think about, and he can't stand to be without her? It just doesn't flow.

Motto posted:

This is still an amazing quote

I'm just amazed he would admit it so nonchalantly. It makes SE look really really bad. Like worse than usual.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 23, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
My very first Final Fantasy was the original, but my second was VI and it's still my favorite.

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFTA2's sales weren't very good for the size of the DS userbase. Tactics Ogre sold over 500k copies vs the 600k or so for FFTA2 and considering the gap between PSP and DS ownership that isn't very good and neither are something SE can justify when it can instead spend a decade pissing away money on FFXV and the tire fire that was FFXIV 1.0.

Even if SE wanted to make more FFT games (or Ogre Battle) they'd probably end up being freemium mobile garbage. Like what Capcom did for Breath of Fire 6. :sigh:

I would absolutely play an Ogre Battle mobile game if it played like main series OB and the F2P system wasn't complete garbage, just because there's really nothing that plays like MotBQ/PoLC anymore and I'll take whatever I can get. I had hope post-LUCT remake that Matsuno and Square might be on good enough terms again for something to happen on that front, but it probably would have happened by now if it were in the cards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Right up until Rinoa goes into a coma, Squall continues to be pretty dismissive and disinterested in her. He treats her like a nuisance at worst, and neutral at best. When she was dangling for her life off the side of the Garden, right before her coma, the only reason Squall did anything to help her is because his team wouldn't stop nagging him about it. He was basically going "well it sucks she's in danger but I've got bigger problems here".

And then she goes into a coma and suddenly she's all he can think about, and he can't stand to be without her? It just doesn't flow.

Eh, that's not really fair.

Squall is someone who intentionally keeps people at a distance because of that exact reason. Basically his entire personality for the first half of the game is "I don't want to be friends with you (because I'm secretly afraid of you leaving me like my sister/father/mother/adoptive mother, even if I don't consciously remember it.)" He's dismissive of Rinoa until the exact moment she leaves him and then he freaks the gently caress out because someone has left him again and he isn't prepared to handle it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, that's not really fair.

Squall is someone who intentionally keeps people at a distance because of that exact reason. Basically his entire personality for the first half of the game is "I don't want to be friends with you (because I'm secretly afraid of you leaving me like my sister/father/mother/adoptive mother, even if I don't consciously remember it.)" He's dismissive of Rinoa until the exact moment she leaves him and then he freaks the gently caress out because someone has left him again and he isn't prepared to handle it.

What I mean is that he wouldn't care if Zell left, or if Irvine left. But he doesn't really show any more attachment to Rinoa than anyone else even though we have a direct feed to his inner thoughts. He couldn't be bothered to go "oh poo poo, Rinoa's in trouble? We have to do something!" The player isn't given a strong impression that he's become deeply attached to Rinoa despite himself. And yet that's what we're expected to believe without any warning.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Yep, exactly this. I wouldn't say any FF game has had a super amazing love story but at least you can see how things go from Point A to Point B. You can see Zidane and Garnet's relationship develop, FFX is drat near all about Tidus and Yuna's relationship development and while it's a bit less obvious, there is some of this for Cloud and Aerith, too.

FFVIII really wanted this big sweeping love story. It even had some cool ideas, like Seifer the very conventional hero and wannabe Sorceress' Knight being a villain while the super unlikely hero Squall ends up being a true Sorceress' Knight. But while it's very subjective, I wouldn't say Squall and Rinoa ever "clicked" in my mind. It was clear from the word go Rinoa wanted him and she relentlessly hammered on his shell (in contrast to Quistis who kinda just gave up) but relationships are a two way street. Like I said earlier, we the audience can look into Squall's head all we want and say "okay he's not such a bad guy." The others around him don't have this luxury. Yet they all treat him like a great leader and they all love him and what exactly has he ever done to earn this adoration?

Rinoa has the single best line in FFVIII as far as I'm concerned and it's relevant here:

Irvine: They'll be fine. I'm sure they can get outta there when the time comes.
Rinoa: You don't know for sure. Squall might say 'but no one has ordered me to escape', and end up staying in there.

Such a ringing endorsement from his #1 fangirl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

What I mean is that he wouldn't care if Zell left, or if Irvine left. But he doesn't really show any more attachment to Rinoa than anyone else even though we have a direct feed to his inner thoughts. He couldn't be bothered to go "oh poo poo, Rinoa's in trouble? We have to do something!" The player isn't given a strong impression that he's become deeply attached to Rinoa despite himself. And yet that's what we're expected to believe without any warning.

I think this is a case where the translation probably doesn't convey it as well. The entire point of that scene is that Squall is constantly thinking about Rinoa but trying to do his best to act like the commander he thinks he's supposed to act like until Zell and the others go "Squall, go frigging rescue her, you doofus." Even in the English version it's pretty blatant he's flustered and thrown off.

He is completely a dick who pretends he doesn't like her to her face until she's gone though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would've thought about Squall much differently if they did replace every ....Whatever with ....Sorry.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I believe this was basically their final exchange before the coma. Squall's inner monologue in parenthesis:
Rinoa: "So that's what you call it. You know Zell said he'll make me one
exactly like it. Who knows, maybe I can become like a lion, too. That'd
be crazy, huh!? I mean, everyone might, y'know, get the wrong idea about
us."

Squall: (If it's so crazy, why do you sound so delighted? Everyone is trying to
get us together. It's so obvious even I can tell.) "You sound like you
want everyone to get the wrong idea."

There's a man who is flattered by the attention and has clearly grown attached! He sounds annoyed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I believe this was their final exchange before the coma. Squall's inner monologue in parenthesis:
Rinoa: "So that's what you call it. You know Zell said he'll make me one
exactly like it. Who knows, maybe I can become like a lion, too. That'd
be crazy, huh!? I mean, everyone might, y'know, get the wrong idea about
us."

Squall: (If it's so crazy, why do you sound so delighted? Everyone is trying to
get us together. It's so obvious even I can tell.) "You sound like you
want everyone to get the wrong idea."

There's a man who is flattered by the attention and has clearly grown attached! He sounds annoyed.

Squall is annoyed because he is explicitly trying to distance himself from people and those people won't let him. His entire characterization in that segment is "I am trying to be cold serious soldier and my dumbass friends won't let me." Like the mere fact he literally abandons his post to go and rescue her is actually supposed to be meaningful because it shows that what his friends are saying actually does have truth to it, it's just he is a big ol' rear end in a top hat who refuses to admit it openly until it's too late.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

It flows just fine. He's actively trying to keep face around that time, trying to be the big leaderman that he was forced against his will to be. He's a soldier forced into a position of leadership, trying to be impartial, even though he really wants to save her, and it tends to show, especially with how he reacts to stuff.

Hell, a running thing is that because of his body language and tendency to clam up when certain things are brought up, that basically everyone in his group (hell, everyone around him even) can read him like an open book. So in that situation, everyone was going to him "there's no need to save face, you can come out and say that you really want to save her".

Honestly, reading the (really good) LP that's going on. Cool Ghost does a great job of pointing out stuff like that right when it happens.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
FF8's problem is that it is kind of a mess of ideas in every way. Just a mess of mechanics, of plot points, of art design... Sometimes it comes together into something fun like with how you can break the game and how the Laguna and Squall stuff works but other times it just ends up bad.

EDIT: Like, it is a game where they had way too many ideas that they wanted to implement, and instead of paring them down and focusing on specific ones that blended well together it looks like they just tried to throw all of them in there even if they didn't really mesh well. Also I feel it is worth mentioning that one of the original core ideas they did have when starting work on the game was the Laguna and Squall stuff, which I feel shows because it is probably one of the better things in the games story.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF8's problem is that it has no underlying structure to make its ideas work, either in gameplay or narrative. There are coherent ideas but the ideas can't work because there's nothing holding them up. It's a house of cards that is absurdly easy to knock over both mechanically and plotwise.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ImpAtom posted:

None of that is really accurate, no.

No, the translation is just bad. There's no 'mystique' there, it just makes poo poo incoherent that is more sensible in the original game.
The "Zack" thing is added to the US version but it's not really a plot hole. The original version just had people assume Zack died in Nibelheim instead of ater.
The Jenova stuff is more understandable but that doesn't change Cloud's own plotline which is entirely about his identity.

Like the Japanese version is genuinely straight-up better except for maybe the Zack thing which was re-added in the International Edition anyway so it's kind of meaningless. This isn't a 'weeb' thing, it's honestly just the fact that the translation is really bad.

Has there ever been, like, a fan re-translation or something? I mean, you'd think there would be since it's such a popular game, right?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

edit: nvm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Has there ever been, like, a fan re-translation or something? I mean, you'd think there would be since it's such a popular game, right?

There has been but it was done by guys who are fond of overly-literal and also kind of inept so they go "Hm, this move is called Climhazzard. The Clim can't stand for Climb, it must be CRIME HAZARD"

It's honestly hard to get a re-translation done of any game that has an English translation at all because for most people "I can read it" is good enough. That means the people who tend to get attracted to it are the ones who are kind of bad at it because they're more focused on "It's PHANTOM BEASTS, not ESPERS" and not actually translating.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Not without resorting to hilariously stilted over-literal translations or adding your super cool original character, I don't think so.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What if it was retranslated but there was a rule that proper nouns couldn't be changed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CuddlyZombie posted:

What if it was retranslated but there was a rule that proper nouns couldn't be changed.

y-burn

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Even then you're running into stiff literal translations and someone would probably get stabbed in the inevitable "is the default name Aeris or Aerith" fight.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

thats no worse than Ochu

In fact it sounds like a pokemon-style "punny" name

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ImpAtom posted:

Even then you're running into stiff literal translations and someone would probably get stabbed in the inevitable "is the default name Aeris or Aerith" fight.

Is the messed of translation of 7 better than stiff literal translations, though? I mean, I feel like at least with a literal translation things might still be a bit more coherent

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

There has been but it was done by guys who are fond of overly-literal and also kind of inept so they go "Hm, this move is called Climhazzard. The Clim can't stand for Climb, it must be CRIME HAZARD"
Was that the Iscar Matthias guy or were there somehow two overly literal idiots?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Then they'll just leave half the text untranslated because "this word is untranslatable, to change it would sully it" is still a philosophy in some circles. So you get pages of TL notes instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is the messed of translation of 7 better than stiff literal translations, though? I mean, I feel like at least with a literal translation things might still be a bit more coherent

It depends. An overly stiff literal translation runs into the problem of sounding coherent but not actually conveying intent. Considering the mess FFVII's translation is that is probably still a step up though.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
You would have to get someone/a whole group that is willing to invest time into going into the source material and examining the tone and context of every scene, and focus on capturing that in English, because a literal translation would miss moments where a scene would actually be played for laughs inspite of how the text comes off. Of course this would take a lot of time and effort, and straight up would be on the level of a professional translation gig in terms of workload, and I doubt many fans would have the talent for that, or if they did would be able/willing to invest the time into something like that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVII's translation is coherent. You can come away with a complete grasp of the plot and characters from it.

That's good enough for me. It could have been better but it also could have been way worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII's translation is coherent. You can come away with a complete grasp of the plot and characters from it.

That's good enough for me. It could have been better but it also could have been way worse.

You really can't, no. You're mistaking coming away with *A* personality with coming away with the intended personality. Barrett's like a grade-A example here. Likewise a lot of the humor comes across pretty badly which hurts Aerith and Cloud's interactions a lot. Cait Sith is supposed to have more distinctive speech patterns than he does (which is supposed to play into Reeve/Cait Sith sounding different) which comes across poorly or not at all.

There are a lot of little things which the translation doesn't capture or distorts, ignoring big things like the original PS1 translation doing things like make people think Tseng died.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 23, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You really can't, no. You're mistaking coming away with *A* personality with coming away with the intended personality. Barrett's like a grade-A example here.

Plase elaborate. What is Barret's "intended" personality and how do you know that?

quote:

Likewise a lot of the humor comes across pretty badly which hurts Aerith and Cloud's interactions a lot.

I dunno, most people seem to enjoy Wall Market just fine.

quote:

Cait Sith is supposed to have more distinctive speech patterns than he does (which is supposed to play into Reeve/Cait Sith sounding different) which comes across poorly or not at all.

Is that why he's Scottish in DOC?

quote:

There are a lot of little things which the translation doesn't capture or distorts, ignoring big things like the original PS1 translation doing things like make people think Tseng died.

A minor error.

Listen, you could easily do way worse. Like, say, if you didn't understand what Meteor was or what the Cetra were or what Jenova was or what Cloud's relationship with Tifa was. And so-on and so-on and so-on.

As long as you understand what is happening and why, it's not as bad as it could have been.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Is that why he's Scottish in DOC?

the explanation is way more obvious than you think :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Plase elaborate. What is Barret's "intended" personality and how do you know that?

For one he isn't supposed to be a foul-mouthed guy who talks like Mr. T, which is by far the thing most people take away from him.

NikkolasKing posted:

As long as you understand what is happening and why, it's not as bad as it could have been.

No it isn't. There is a significant difference between knowing "X did a thing" and why X did a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

For one he isn't supposed to be a foul-mouthed guy who talks like Mr. T, which is by far the thing most people take away from him.

Can't that be chalked up to localization? That isn't a one-off error, it's a consistent characterization all game which must mean it was something they purposefully changed.