Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
lol, the shield ult actually stacks... i had 500 HP as symmetra from a combination of the shields and some torb armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

How does the shield interact with supers? Like does tracers super stick to the barrier?

Also can sombra hack the generator?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I really like how symmetra stacks with torbjorn now. 150 health and those regenning shields to protect from chip damage wasting your armor packs is really fab.

In an earlier game we had a 300 health pool mekless dva running around successfully pistoling everything.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

After playing with it for a few games the shield generator is real nice, the moving shield thing is hot garbage.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hadn't played Sym on the PC before and thought for a second that they changed her right click too but naw the PS4 just can't do all the effects on the energy ball. drat that thing looks amazing.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Even not playing her, the one change she could have done with was being able to hold onto a charged alt shot. (store it, think super smash samus) you can already cancel an in progress shot be reolading or shielding someone.

It'd hive her a nice "oh poo poo" offensive option.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
HOw does the moving shield work? Does it slowly move back and forth or what

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It flies out in the direction you cast it at the about the same speed as the characters move. It breaks if the little turret in the center collides with something, but the rest will phase through objects.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Chiming in to say: Blizzard needs to hop on Terry Crews offering himself up to voice Doomfist. God drat, this would rock.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I just wish the shield could knock people around like some Urien shenanigans.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
extremely the wrong thread

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

extremely the wrong thread

I know Overwatch has arena games now, but this isn't fake wrestling!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Hah, in the current PTR build, Sombra can hack through barriers such as Reinhardt and Winston's.

It's unclear if this is intentional, but :getin: either way

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Changes I'd make to the new shield

Lower the cooldown to 6s
Don't start the cooldown until the shield is destroyed
Allow the player to hold it in place by holding down E
Allow the shield to move and push players around, allow players to stand on it.

Vastly increases it's utility as a defensive, offensive and even mobility option. It'd go from kinda meh to legitimately one of the best abilities in the game, plus I find the idea of an entire team surfing a Photon Shield up and beyond choke points hilarious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That would actually be far too strong. And redundant with Rein, the whole point of Sym's barrier is that it moves. That's what makes it interesting.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Runefaust posted:

Chiming in to say: Blizzard needs to hop on Terry Crews offering himself up to voice Doomfist. God drat, this would rock.

Wait, what.

WHAT?!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'd really like to see people get pushed around if they make contact with Sym's barrier "core", but that's about it. It's a really neat ability on its own, but it's too early to tell if it needs more changes right now.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Wait, what.

WHAT?!

Terry Crews posted in the Overwatch Reddit about wanting to voice Doomfist (He plays Overwatch, and he has been keeping up with all the Doomfist propaganda splattered through the game). Dude would be amazing and Blizzard would be fools to miss out on the opportunity.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

novaSphere posted:

Hah, in the current PTR build, Sombra can hack through barriers such as Reinhardt and Winston's.

I can't imagine this is intentional because it would basically completely gently caress Reinhardt to a pretty ridiculous degree.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

That would actually be far too strong. And redundant with Rein, the whole point of Sym's barrier is that it moves. That's what makes it interesting.

Interesting =! Good. Plus popping Rein's shield is pretty easy, there's tons of damage being thrown around and my experience is that Dva is better at absorbing incoming damage now. Being unable to control the barrier limits it's utility honestly, it's almost exclusively useful for rushing a choke or blocking a Dva ult (when timed and spaced really well). Otherwise it's very meh, kind of on par with Sombra hacking players.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I can't imagine this is intentional because it would basically completely gently caress Reinhardt to a pretty ridiculous degree.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a bug relating to Symmetra's barriers and LoS, but a man can dream. Sombra's basic hacking skill could use a little something extra, honestly.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Interesting =! Good. Plus popping Rein's shield is pretty easy, there's tons of damage being thrown around and my experience is that Dva is better at absorbing incoming damage now. Being unable to control the barrier limits it's utility honestly, it's almost exclusively useful for rushing a choke or blocking a Dva ult (when timed and spaced really well). Otherwise it's very meh, kind of on par with Sombra hacking players.

Since you brought up Rein too - it's hilarious walking into a point with a Rein shield up then when his shield breaks firing off a secondary shield, or even vice versa.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Changes I'd make to the new shield

Lower the cooldown to 6s
Don't start the cooldown until the shield is destroyed
Allow the player to hold it in place by holding down E
Allow the shield to move and push players around, allow players to stand on it.

Vastly increases it's utility as a defensive, offensive and even mobility option. It'd go from kinda meh to legitimately one of the best abilities in the game, plus I find the idea of an entire team surfing a Photon Shield up and beyond choke points hilarious.

I think flying elevator bastion would get old pretty quickly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FaustianQ posted:

Interesting =! Good.
In terms of power, but I'm not talking purely "how strong is this" I'm talking about how good it is from a game design perspective and how fun it is to use. Having another barrier which basically functions like Rein's most of the time, except it's oval(and making another character also focused around a barrier) would basically be super lame. It's just one part of her kit, not the central facet of her character.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

novaSphere posted:

Sombra's basic hacking skill could use a little something extra, honestly.

I've found her hacking skill to be ok, its just her DPS is so spotty. She needs to get a hack off and then be able to kill someone in an honourabru 1v1 no-powers destination-only duel.

10dmg instead of 8 per shot would give her Soldier76's DPS at close-range with none of the 76 benefits at least.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Runefaust posted:

Since you brought up Rein too - it's hilarious walking into a point with a Rein shield up then when his shield breaks firing off a secondary shield, or even vice versa.

It's better to do this the other way around, since the shield moves in a set direction and allows you to bust the choke quicker, while retaining Reins overall stronger shield for the point.

IronicDongz posted:

In terms of power, but I'm not talking purely "how strong is this" I'm talking about how good it is from a game design perspective and how fun it is to use. Having another barrier which basically functions like Rein's most of the time, except it's oval(and making another character also focused around a barrier) would basically be super lame. It's just one part of her kit, not the central facet of her character.

Except it wouldn't function like Reins at all. For one it's weaker by at least half, two once used it's going to move in a set direction, making countering it laughably easy if you attempt to use it like Reins shield. Rein and Winstons shields are vastly superior in their ability to respond to a dynamic fight. Instead being able to hold it in place just increases it's utility as a defensive tool, otherwise it's an initiator on a kit almost exclusively centered around being defensive, and a very narrow use one at that.

I mean don't get me wrong I love the idea but it's current implementation leaves something to be desired - maybe instead of a full hold you can merely slow it down - and it feels like what potential it does have is locked behind cooperative teammates and a high skill threshold for little gain.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

I've found her hacking skill to be ok, its just her DPS is so spotty. She needs to get a hack off and then be able to kill someone in an honourabru 1v1 no-powers destination-only duel.

10dmg instead of 8 per shot would give her Soldier76's DPS at close-range with none of the 76 benefits at least.

I think Sombra's skills should be buffed before her gun is, but that's the support player in me talking. She needs more teamfight utility outside of her Ult, and right now hacking players feels a little too situational for the opportunity cost.

If you're gonna buff her gun, I'd rather see the CoF tightened up before she straight-up does more damage.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

It's better to do this the other way around, since the shield moves in a set direction and allows you to bust the choke quicker, while retaining Reins overall stronger shield for the point.

Most definitely - I played a game tonight in which me and the Reinhardt tried this. I used shield, we all went in, once the shield went out of range he popped his up. Then, when his broke, I shielded again. Anubis B point was hilarious to take so quickly. With coordination, and specially in the hands of some pro teams - I think (and hope) Symmetra makes an offense showing. Edit forgot the most hilarious part - once his Rein's shield broke and I followed it up with mine, our Rein was then swinging away while following my shield into the enemy. It was so goddamn hilarious to see - it was like watching a Rein use a shield and attack at the same time.

Also, adding this in - While we pushed up, we had a Genji constantly try to flank us. I was placing turrets all along our back side as / to our sides we moved forward, and he was getting FRUSTRATED as his flanking attempts were disrupted.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 23, 2016

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Everyone's yapping about how the new E shield is just a worse Reinhardt for team play, but nobody's talking about how it lets Symmetra bum rush people solo with her melty gun.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does the Symmetra shield gen get refunded/destroyed after a point is capped?

Also, for offense, is there a way to destroy it so you can move it?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Does the Symmetra shield gen get refunded/destroyed after a point is capped?

Also, for offense, is there a way to destroy it so you can move it?

It disappears when the point changes, just like the teleporter does.

The only other way to make it go away if the enemy doesn't attack it is to switch heroes and then switch back.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

novaSphere posted:

:stonk:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just wish the shield could knock people around like some Urien shenanigans.

Overwatch needs more pit-style fatalities and Symmetra's new shield is a golden opportunity.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Really know how to pick 'em, mom

*Nothing to see here*

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 23, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

what?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What am I missing?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

That's not me dunking all over a team on Nepal as Pharah.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Rein is dating Ana. Should have posted in meimei thread jeez y'all don't even ship

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pyzza Rouge posted:

Rein is dating Ana. Should have posted in meimei thread jeez y'all don't even ship

How is that joke communicated in the vid? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Dammit youtube. I have to find a better video editor, hold on. You'll smirk slightly when you see the actual video, I promise. Give me another hour to upload the darn thing again

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 23, 2016