Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

And for people who are playing the game for the first time as tens if not hundreds of thousands surely will with this generation of Pokemon, that's fine. For everybody else, a button to tell the game to scuttle along a bit faster would be nice.
No. Sit down, relax, and enjoy the adventure. Lose yourself in the experience. Read every single god drat piece of tutorial text, because you are a young child on their first ever Pokemon adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Another one of those things where I'm bitching about Planet Coaster, but it applied to Rollercoaster Tycoon:

I hate when I make a coaster that's too fearful / nauseous / whatever, because there's generally nothing in place to tell me why the hell it is. I've been playing the games since the first RCT, and I still don't know half as much as I'd wish about coaster construction. The extent of my advanced coaster-building knowledge is knowing that you should bank your curves if you're going too fast. Otherwise, I'm purestrain guessing if the thing will be good. PC gives heatmaps to help in this respect, but it's still talking a language I don't really get.

I don't entirely blame the game because my brother played the same as much as I did and he's a friggin savant at making coasters (he also loves rollercoasters and I get urpy on some of the rids from the in-game camera), but man, I can't wait for RCT8 or PC6 where there's some super-advanced AI that can look at my coaster and point at certain parts and say "no, you idiot, do this and it won't make your guests literally die!" to me.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Space T Rex posted:

I spent so long trying to catch a beldum that kept calling for help that he eventually killed himself by running out of moves and struggling to death. in hindsight I should have been alternating which beldum to keep at low health so that couldnt happen but still. Jesus christ gamefreak why.

Apparently it's great for shiny hunter and ev trainers. It fuckin sucks garbage balls for everyone else, especially anyone trying to catch a goddamn pokemon that keeps calling reinforcements

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Apparently it's great for shiny hunter and ev trainers. It fuckin sucks garbage balls for everyone else, especially anyone trying to catch a goddamn pokemon that keeps calling reinforcements

All they need to do to fix this is patch it so that you CAN throw pokeballs when theres more than one pokemon. Hell have the ally smack the ball away 30% of the time I don't care. Just give me the option!!

E: they wont, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Slime posted:

New players will hit the skip button and then bitch up a storm when they don't know how to play.

It's 100% their fault if they do that. If the developers make the game default to "no, I don't know how to play/I want to do the tutorial" and people have to physically switch over to "yes I already know" and select it, I have no sympathy for them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Space T Rex posted:

I spent so long trying to catch a beldum that kept calling for help that he eventually killed himself by running out of moves and struggling to death. in hindsight I should have been alternating which beldum to keep at low health so that couldnt happen but still. Jesus christ gamefreak why.

(In previous generations - don't know if they changed it for Gen. 7) Beldum is as hard to catch as most legendaries - actually harder, because it only knows a recoil move. Very annoying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's 100% their fault if they do that. If the developers make the game default to "no, I don't know how to play/I want to do the tutorial" and people have to physically switch over to "yes I already know" and select it, I have no sympathy for them.

Yeah there really is a limit for how much you can or should stupid-proof something. I think bloodborne actually does not prevent you in any way from getting your starting weapons, walking over to the shop, and selling them immediately. Which effectively screws you over five minutes into the game because you can't do almost anything without a weapon.

If I was coding the game I'd probably put in a check to keep you from selling your last weapon just to prevent accidents, but if anyone does that on purpose and then complains about it then they deserve every bad thing that happens to them

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

StandardVC10 posted:

(In previous generations - don't know if they changed it for Gen. 7) Beldum is as hard to catch as most legendaries - actually harder, because it only knows a recoil move. Very annoying.

I was using a ghost type so he wasnt even taking recoil. he actually struggled to death, after running out of Take downs. Gamefreak seriously must not have even play tested how dumb it is to catch pokemon now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Space T Rex posted:

I was using a ghost type so he wasnt even taking recoil. he actually struggled to death, after running out of Take downs. Gamefreak seriously must not have even play tested how dumb it is to catch pokemon now.

Pokemon's entire "end game" is walking back and forth along a route of your choice until a single egg of varying size hatches, flying across the world to a specific NPC who tells you vaguely whether its stats are bad, okay, good or really good but even that doesn't tell you the exact number, and then repeating this process forever until you have a team of whatever pokemon you want to competitive battle with never use because all the actual competitive battlers have really dumb strategies that make battles entirely uninteresting and rage quit the moment you use a pokemon you like.

What I'm saying is, it's all downhill from the "catching this dude sucks" phase of things.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

For all its faults, the weirdest thing about Lords of the Fallen is that you get the best weapon in the game, My Axe, right near the beginning after maybe an hour or two of play. The only meaningful change you can make to any of the weapons is socketing runes, and for the entire remainder of the game you're coming across various weapons that are all directly inferior in one way or another. Even the secret weapons which you can unlock by completing certain optional objectives during boss fights are usually just useless gimmicks and you're better off sticking with the axe.

Open to debate which games qualify but Dead Space/Ninja Gaiden/RE:4+ pissed me off because you're better off continuously upgrading your starting weapon, or a weapon you find in the first few areas, than waiting to find something super powerful or something that fits your play style.

e: Destiny, at the point I stopped playing (after the first DLC) qualified, because they'd stopped making high impact assault rifles, so in MP other than Iron Banner where levelling didn't matter people started using the assault rifle you start the game with because it had decent impact.

RNG has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Pokemon's entire "end game" is walking back and forth along a route of your choice until a single egg of varying size hatches, flying across the world to a specific NPC who tells you vaguely whether its stats are bad, okay, good or really good but even that doesn't tell you the exact number, and then repeating this process forever until you have a team of whatever pokemon you want to competitive battle with never use because all the actual competitive battlers have really dumb strategies that make battles entirely uninteresting and rage quit the moment you use a pokemon you like.

What I'm saying is, it's all downhill from the "catching this dude sucks" phase of things.

A friend of mine almost went down that path once. I don't get why anyone would put that much effort into a child's videogame.

My thing dragging the game down is that I'm still not quite sure my character is a boy. I wanted him to be a boy, I named him a non-gender neutral name, but he doesn't look very boyish.

Also that every starter looks dumb.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Did you look at Rowlet, the green owl? Or did you just not realize he was a starter? There are 3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Space T Rex posted:

Did you look at Rowlet, the green owl? Or did you just not realize he was a starter? There are 3.

It's the least dumb of them :colbert: me and Kaepora are gonna go far though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RNG posted:

Open to debate which games qualify but Dead Space/Ninja Gaiden/RE:4+ pissed me off because you're better off continuously upgrading your starting weapon, or a weapon you find in the first few areas, than waiting to find something super powerful or something that fits your play style.

e: Destiny, at the point I stopped playing (after the first DLC) qualified, because they'd stopped making high impact assault rifles, so in MP other than Iron Banner where levelling didn't matter people started using the assault rifle you start the game with because it had decent impact.

Dead Space even gave you an achievement for beating the game using only the the starting weapon, so at the very least that was an intentional design decision.

Maybe not intentional but I did like how in Silent Hill: Homecoming the starting dagger was the most powerful weapon in the game because it had the highest attack speed which meant you could either stunlock an enemy or chip away at their health much faster and more easily than making slower attacks with a more powerful weapon.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

After a quick skim it looks like I'm not the only one here to complain about calling for help in the new Pokemon?

Here's a fun little fact about that system: there's a bunch of pokemon who can only appear when specific pokemon call for help. And there's still no guarantee that the pokemon called will actually be the right one, if they show up at all. So if you want to catch Pikachu, for example, you go to a specific place, find a specific pokemon, make it call for help, and hope a Pikachu shows up. Sure, horde battles weren't much fun but poo poo, anything's better than this.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Timer Balls are your friend. Quick Balls too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Slime posted:

New players will hit the skip button and then bitch up a storm when they don't know how to play.

There's an easy fix to this problem:

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

Timer Balls are your friend. Quick Balls too.

I used both and about 20+ ultra balls. Beldum is that stupid yes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dordreff posted:

Here's a fun little fact about that system: there's a bunch of pokemon who can only appear when specific pokemon call for help. And there's still no guarantee that the pokemon called will actually be the right one, if they show up at all. So if you want to catch Pikachu, for example, you go to a specific place, find a specific pokemon, make it call for help, and hope a Pikachu shows up. Sure, horde battles weren't much fun but poo poo, anything's better than this.
I just evolved the Pichu I caught in the first patch of grass in the game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Another one of those things where I'm bitching about Planet Coaster, but it applied to Rollercoaster Tycoon:

I hate when I make a coaster that's too fearful / nauseous / whatever, because there's generally nothing in place to tell me why the hell it is. I've been playing the games since the first RCT, and I still don't know half as much as I'd wish about coaster construction. The extent of my advanced coaster-building knowledge is knowing that you should bank your curves if you're going too fast. Otherwise, I'm purestrain guessing if the thing will be good. PC gives heatmaps to help in this respect, but it's still talking a language I don't really get.

I don't entirely blame the game because my brother played the same as much as I did and he's a friggin savant at making coasters (he also loves rollercoasters and I get urpy on some of the rids from the in-game camera), but man, I can't wait for RCT8 or PC6 where there's some super-advanced AI that can look at my coaster and point at certain parts and say "no, you idiot, do this and it won't make your guests literally die!" to me.

It seems sim games as a genre have this problem of not really explaining what they're about. They're just used to opaque mechanics.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

It's the least dumb of them :colbert: me and Kaepora are gonna go far though.

yeah, popplio is the best of them, cutest too. she even high fived me, why doesn't brionne do that

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I cannot accept that Game Freak can't come up with a creative way to skip tutorials, especially when Camelot managed to do so with the otherwise incredibly cliche Golden Sun games over ten years ago. All it takes is a few yes / no questions, with increasingly humorous attempts to get you to watch said tutorial, before finally throwing up its hands and saying "fine! If that's how you're going to be, then let's move on! :qq:"

And hey, that game also loved to talk! And talk. And talk. And talk.

Golden Sun posted:

Flint is now your pal, whether you like it or not!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

StandardVC10 posted:

In Platinum it's an outbreak Pokemon (meaning it doesn't even appear 95% of the time) and it's in an area with a sandstorm (your Pokemon will take damage every turn if it's not a certain type). I was so glad I still had the single Beldum you are given in Emerald when I found that out. You would almost be tempted to use your Master Ball...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I cannot accept that Game Freak can't come up with a creative way to skip tutorials, especially when Camelot managed to do so with the otherwise incredibly cliche Golden Sun games over ten years ago. All it takes is a few yes / no questions, with increasingly humorous attempts to get you to watch said tutorial, before finally throwing up its hands and saying "fine! If that's how you're going to be, then let's move on! :qq:"

And hey, that game also loved to talk! And talk. And talk. And talk.

I'd say 'hide skipping the tutorial behind saying no to an obvious question twice', because at least one Pokemon game has hidden a good gag behind doing just that, but if we consider Arin Hansen our test case (fair enough, since he needs tutorials, would totally skip them has a good chunk gaming history documented) he'd have skipped multiple tutorials hidden through that system unintentionally.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mierenneuker posted:

In Platinum it's an outbreak Pokemon (meaning it doesn't even appear 95% of the time) and it's in an area with a sandstorm (your Pokemon will take damage every turn if it's not a certain type). I was so glad I still had the single Beldum you are given in Emerald when I found that out. You would almost be tempted to use your Master Ball...

Beldum is the best use of a masterball. Legendaries suck and are lame unless you're one of those nerds who actually use theirs in a fight. A metagross is so awesome, it's worth it to see a cool pokeball sprite every time. There is no pokemon cooler than the giant angry psychic metal crabtank.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've always been fine with tutorials because no matter how long you've been playing games, or how many games in a given series you've played or beaten, there is always a chance that some mechanic will have subtly changed, or new ones added, that make you go "Oh, that's new. Thanks for telling me :)"

Edit: There's also always the chance that a mechanic is just hard to control, so some basic challenges to get you started help you learn the angles/techniques to use to wrestle with a bad control scheme in an otherwise good game.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Nov 22, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not really dragging it down so much, but there's a side quest in Deus Ex: Human Revolution that feels like it was written as a tutorial, fully completed, and then moved at the last minute to the middle of the game. Just before you leave Hengsha Malik asks you to help her investigate a murder that got covered up, and you're basically told what to do at every step. It's even got one of the conversation puzzles in it, but unlike the others in the game it's really obvious what the correct answers are. The only exception is that right at the end there's a terminal you have to hack, and it's by far the most difficult hacking in the game so far that wasn't completely optional, and there doesn't seem to be any way around it. You can't complete the quest if you don't do it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Not really dragging it down so much, but there's a side quest in Deus Ex: Human Revolution that feels like it was written as a tutorial, fully completed, and then moved at the last minute to the middle of the game. Just before you leave Hengsha Malik asks you to help her investigate a murder that got covered up, and you're basically told what to do at every step. It's even got one of the conversation puzzles in it, but unlike the others in the game it's really obvious what the correct answers are. The only exception is that right at the end there's a terminal you have to hack, and it's by far the most difficult hacking in the game so far that wasn't completely optional, and there doesn't seem to be any way around it. You can't complete the quest if you don't do it.

A similar thing happens in Red Dead Redemption when you get to Mexico, which is a good 4-5 hours into the game (depending on how much side stuff you did.) You run into an old gunslinger who "teaches" you to shoot, which is just weird because even forgetting the hours you've put into the game John was supposed to be a seasoned outlaw already.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mankind Divided has a tutorial at a gun-range that can occurs hours into the game if you do all the side-quests first. Some rear end Creed games let you do side-missions before they introduce the mechanic midway-through. Dark Souls had a good non-intrusive tutorial but it never tells you about how armour weight affects your speed or how the lock-on mechanic can be innefective in combat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Mankind Divided has a tutorial at a gun-range that can occurs hours into the game if you do all the side-quests first. Some rear end Creed games let you do side-missions before they introduce the mechanic midway-through. Dark Souls had a good non-intrusive tutorial but it never tells you about how armour weight affects your speed or how the lock-on mechanic can be innefective in combat.

Because you loving up until you try to do it differently is the Dark Souls method of tutorial

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Saints Row 4 has a really late-game quest introducing you to the Dubstep Gun where it's brought out for the first time and there are loads of setup lines leading up to the punchline of it blasting out weaponised dubstep in a 50s suburb.

Except it was in a trailer and everyone loved it so they presumably then decided to give you it at the start :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Saints Row 4 has a really late-game quest introducing you to the Dubstep Gun where it's brought out for the first time and there are loads of setup lines leading up to the punchline of it blasting out weaponised dubstep in a 50s suburb.

Except it was in a trailer and everyone loved it so they presumably then decided to give you it at the start :v:

I'd hate it if I had to wait until the endgame to use the dubstep gun. It would've been a thing dragging the game down massively

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

RNG posted:

Every time I play RE4 I refuse to spend a cent until I can get my hands on the Red9, Official Best Handgun of the RE Franchise. Although the first shotgun you get is definitely the best of the 3.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

The only exception is that right at the end there's a terminal you have to hack, and it's by far the most difficult hacking in the game so far that wasn't completely optional, and there doesn't seem to be any way around it. You can't complete the quest if you don't do it.
No big deal, that's what auto-hack devices are for. Oh, you mean you didn't buy that piece of DLC? :byewhore: Another point in the Director's Cut's favor.

More seriously, I don't remember if the hack itself is particularly challenging (most aren't if you hoard programs to spam), but due to the goofy way HR handles hacking upgrades, you need to invest points in a generic and lame hacking skill to be able to even attempt to hack increasingly higher level devices. The sidequest ends in a level 3 hack for no real reason, IIRC, and just roadblocks you if you don't know it's coming.

Edit: According to the wiki you can just kill the dude to complete the quest, albeit without getting the full reward. Also the panel actually has a code assigned to it 1080, even though it's not listed anywhere in the game. The wiki also mentions messing around with props in order to break line of sight with guards, on the off-chance you meant that was the difficult part.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Nov 22, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The terminal does have a code, but I don't remember where you get it from (or even if you can legitimately obtain it).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Games without an autosave feature, especially 2016. I accidentally flicked my pokemon moon cartridge out of my 3ds because I was carrying a ton of crap in my pocket, and now I have to sit through all the unskippable cutscenes and tutorial sections again :( Just give me my cat and let me grind back up to where I was.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm annoyed with a mission in Planet Coaster. The gimmick is that you start with no buildable rides; you have to rely on two existing rides for enough money to research anything else. The last part of the mission wants a huge (10k) month-long profit (not earning, profit) for rides. No problem, just research everything and you'll get that easy, right?

Planet Coaster doesn't work like the other RCT games. You don't research everything, you research specific rides. Once you've researched all the rides the level lets you research, that's it. So imagine my surprise when I've got at least one of every thrill/family ride you can build (and no coasters!), and I'm not even getting close to the 10k-for-a-month I need. So you have to double (or triple!) up on the same rides to make the money, but that increases the ride upkeep costs as you do it and each new ride is less interesting because there's already been two or three of that ride, and ugh.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Nov 23, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Operations in Battlefield 1, the emplaced weapons don't respawn nor can they be repaired when destroyed meaning once they're gone they're gone permanently. Its especially frustrating when you got a sky nerd who will immediately fly to destroy the AA turrets, and generally you're limited to 1 or 2 vehicles so if teammates took the slot for actual tanks you can't spawn an anti air truck. At that point you're going to have to small arms the planes and for whatever reason even if a guy is topping the scoreboard and constantly slaughtering groups of your teammates your teammates just wont be assed to try and shoot him down.

Air vehicles in every online shooter is the loving worst.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Leal posted:

Operations in Battlefield 1, the emplaced weapons don't respawn nor can they be repaired when destroyed meaning once they're gone they're gone permanently. Its especially frustrating when you got a sky nerd who will immediately fly to destroy the AA turrets, and generally you're limited to 1 or 2 vehicles so if teammates took the slot for actual tanks you can't spawn an anti air truck. At that point you're going to have to small arms the planes and for whatever reason even if a guy is topping the scoreboard and constantly slaughtering groups of your teammates your teammates just wont be assed to try and shoot him down.
Air vehicles in every online shooter is the loving worst.

Air vehicles dominating battlefield games has been a staple since at least Battlefield 2. 1942 is the only one that ever got it right by having flak turrets everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

I'm annoyed with a mission in Planet Coaster. The gimmick is that you start with no buildable rides; you have to rely on two existing rides for enough money to research anything else. The last part of the mission wants a huge (10k) month-long profit (not earning, profit) for rides. No problem, just research everything and you'll get that easy, right?

Planet Coaster doesn't work like the other RCT games. You don't research everything, you research specific rides. Once you've researched all the rides the level lets you research, that's it. So imagine my surprise when I've got at least one of every thrill/family ride you can build (and no coasters!), and I'm not even getting close to the 10k-for-a-month I need. So you have to double (or triple!) up on the same rides to make the money, but that increases the ride upkeep costs as you do it and each new ride is less interesting because there's already been two or three of that ride, and ugh.

This sounds like an intentional (and really good) method of teaching the player about the benefits and drawbacks of making multiples of a ride. In future missions you will be armed with this knowledge. You really seem to be struggling with this game but keep trying, I know you can do it!