Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Anyone in the Seattle area have a dead NES they'd like to sell me? I think I want to be That Guy and stuff my RetroPie setup inside one.

[I refuse to sacrifice a working NES for this]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fremry posted:

I have an NES that needed a new 72 pin connector. So I bought one, switched it out, the NES immediately worked on the first attempt to turn it on, but after that, it doesn't work. Any idea what could be wrong? It's just baffling because it's not like it continued to stop working. It actually worked and then just stopped working.

Do not push the cartridge down like you are used to. For whatever reason, when you replace the 72 pin connector, the NES will no longer boot if you push the cart down. So just leave the cart in the "up" position. I am betting this is what it is (you just got lucky that it worked when you pushed it down the first time was all).

It is one of the reasons I decided against replacing the 72 pin connector. Just snipping the 10NES chip solved every single boot problem I ever had. Anyway, I hope I am right and solved your problem. Let me know.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I want to open up a SNES, I need a special screwdriver bit, right? I saw some on eBay, but I saw two sizes - 3.8mm and 4.5mm. Which one do I need? Both?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Xenomrph posted:

If I want to open up a SNES, I need a special screwdriver bit, right? I saw some on eBay, but I saw two sizes - 3.8mm and 4.5mm. Which one do I need? Both?

Old carts ( NES ) need 3.8mm, you need 4.5mm for SNES hardware.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Old carts ( NES ) need 3.8mm, you need 4.5mm for SNES hardware.

Fantastic, thanks for the help! :cheers:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Booourns posted:

The Genesis port of Marble Madness has some... special sounding music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g46qhEjGs&index=5&list=PLFSHdeZ6gP02vqagBwcVstrjMKA7Fv6aZ

There are two ports: the one you posted, which was made by EA and is actually okay aside from the music, and a Japanese Mega Drive version by Tengen that's practically arcade perfect.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend gaming shelves/bookcase? Ones that'll fit DVD cases to Sega Genesis clamshells. Everything I find on amazon looks really flimsy and I want something that will last and is moveable.

Edit: And if it has brackets to secure to the wall, they need to be at least 8 inches long. The dumbfucks who put in the baseboard heating didn't follow my directions and put it in the area I reserved for a bookcase, so I have to put it in front of it.

I have two of these, and they get the job done. They're mostly full of DVDs now, but when I used them for game storage they fit everything (except for upright U.S. Saturn cases, though I stack those horizontally anyway). They're not super-sturdy, and I wouldn't move them when they're full, but they're compact and the doors keep out sunlight, pets, the devil, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...torage+cabinets

One caution: you can't get the shelf configuration in the sample photo because the middle shelf is fixed in place. That aside, it's a decent cabinet if you have a small library.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Improbable Lobster posted:

You're still pressing the button though! He is physically pressing the button down! There are ways to note that are less dumb!

No, there aren't. Watch for Rolling Rocks only takes .5 A-Presses, because you can "spend" an A-press on a previous star in the 120 Star ABC, then hold the button down and not release it until after WFRR is complete. You press A once if you're just doing WFRR by itself, but if you're doing any other star first that used an A press, then you get 2 stars for only one A-press, so WFRR is completed in less than one A-Press.

You dense motherfucker.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

d0s posted:

did you say anything about registering specifically to use the market, or immediately start posting in the market? they really hate that and for good reason as people buy/sell high value stuff there and there have been lots of problems with scammers before.

edit: I think they go so far as to see what forums you immediately start browsing because they are super paranoid

edit2:

I didn't post, browsed various forums including the market. There's a thread in there implying that new posters cannot post to the market at all anyway until 100s of posts.

I also emailed that address conforming I'm real, have some aes games, etc.

Whatever, I'll get by, just seems dumb.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Wizgot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap Super Famicom games? My friend is in Japan and said he would pick something up for me.

Go Go Ackman! series, I remember them being pretty cheap.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wizgot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap Super Famicom games? My friend is in Japan and said he would pick something up for me.

Battle Pinball
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Sugoi Hebereke
Hashire Hebereke
Parodius Da!
Yossy Island
Cho Aniki Bakuretsu Rantouhen/Rantouden
Pop'n TwinBeee
TwinBee Rainbow Bell Adventure
Kirby Bowl/Kirby's Dream Course

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Add Hagane to the list. The NA version is stupid expensive, but the SFC is cheap as hell.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

DoctorWhat posted:

No, there aren't. Watch for Rolling Rocks only takes .5 A-Presses, because you can "spend" an A-press on a previous star in the 120 Star ABC, then hold the button down and not release it until after WFRR is complete. You press A once if you're just doing WFRR by itself, but if you're doing any other star first that used an A press, then you get 2 stars for only one A-press, so WFRR is completed in less than one A-Press.

You dense motherfucker.

Holding down the button is pressing it you idiot. Letting go is completely irrelevant to whether or not a button has been pressed.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Add Hagane to the list. The NA version is stupid expensive, but the SFC is cheap as hell.

yeah and it's the exact same game in both too, when the $800 popped into my paypal account when I sold my US copy I couldn't stop laughing. I got it for something like $20 at a gamestop in the early 00s. like just file down the little region protect blocks in your SNES man holy poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

d0s posted:

yeah and it's the exact same game in both too, when the $800 popped into my paypal account when I sold my US copy I couldn't stop laughing. I got it for something like $20 at a gamestop in the early 00s. like just file down the little region protect blocks in your SNES man holy poo poo

Coincidentally that's exactly why I was asking about what screwdriver to get for the SNES, so I can do exactly that. :v:
I wanted Kirby's Dream Course, but gently caress paying eBay prices for a US copy. I got a Japanese copy for like $4 shipped.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

:psyduck: Why is this so much? Was it one of those Blockbuster exclusives or something?

To anyone who managed to get one, how is the NES Classic thingy? Video/sound quality, pallette, scaling, input lag, emulation accuracy?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ofecks posted:

:psyduck: Why is this so much? Was it one of those Blockbuster exclusives or something?

To anyone who managed to get one, how is the NES Classic thingy? Video/sound quality, pallette, scaling, input lag, emulation accuracy?

So funny story, people claim it was a Blockbuster exclusive, but no one has put out conclusive evidence. Everyone references the same dumb youtube video about it and just ran with it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

As far as terrible ports I love? Gonna have to go with Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

As far as terrible ports I love? Gonna have to go with Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis.

It had blood though!

*shakes fist at Nintendo*

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ofecks posted:

Much better than the average clone system but still has small issues (some pixel movement during certain horizontal-scrolling screens, one of the sound channels is a little off for some games) and one big issue (it's impossible to buy).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The MLiG guys had a breakdown of the NES Classic and confirm the issues with it in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxek9ZD3Njw

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Why are you nerds debating button presses and half presses? Out of the loop here

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Discount Viscount posted:

Battle Pinball
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Sugoi Hebereke
Hashire Hebereke
Parodius Da!
Yossy Island
Pop'n TwinBeee

Also check for Battle Tycoon, a decent fighting game with a pretty complex single-player mode.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The MLiG guys had a breakdown of the NES Classic and confirm the issues with it in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxek9ZD3Njw

More like MLG amirite?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

the wizards beard posted:

Why are you nerds debating button presses and half presses? Out of the loop here

Someone posted a thing referencing the half a press video and apparently people get really angry about tool assisted speedrun terminology.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

More like MLG amirite?

N-no... Not at all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
God drat I am terrible at X-COM: UFO Defense. I even have it set to easy mode.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Star Man posted:

Easy isn't quite easy. It's more or less gives you more turns to die.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Code Jockey posted:

Anyone in the Seattle area have a dead NES they'd like to sell me? I think I want to be That Guy and stuff my RetroPie setup inside one.

[I refuse to sacrifice a working NES for this]

I have a spare NES with no mainboard if you want it. I'm in Portland, so shipping shouldn't be too much. I can get some pictures once I get back home this weekend.

Kid Fenris posted:

I have two of these, and they get the job done. They're mostly full of DVDs now, but when I used them for game storage they fit everything (except for upright U.S. Saturn cases, though I stack those horizontally anyway). They're not super-sturdy, and I wouldn't move them when they're full, but they're compact and the doors keep out sunlight, pets, the devil, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...torage+cabinets

Yeah, Atlantic shelves are pretty sturdy; I picked up these for UGC and DVD case storage:
https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Dra...tic+media+shelf
https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-384...=atlantic+shelf

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Holding down the button is pressing it you idiot. Letting go is completely irrelevant to whether or not a button has been pressed.

Okay you have two stars to collect.

In one, you have to press the A button to jump, once.

In another, you don't need to jump, but you have to be holding the A button down in order to perform those weird little kicks.

How many times do you have to press A to collect both stars in succession?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Coincidentally that's exactly why I was asking about what screwdriver to get for the SNES, so I can do exactly that. :v:
I wanted Kirby's Dream Course, but gently caress paying eBay prices for a US copy. I got a Japanese copy for like $4 shipped.

I didn't even open mine, just grabbed em with pliers through the slot and twisted em off, it's really soft plastic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Somewhat relevant considering what it was mostly used for: The Wii Homebrew Channel has been open-sourced to celebrate the Wii's 10th birthday.

This source code release has the "security" that was intended to keep scammers from selling it stripped out (so you can run it on Dolphin... if you want... for some weird reason) and adds an aspect ratio fix when run on the Wii U. Which is, you know, nice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

On the PC version, a bug meant that there is only easy mode unless you played the entire game without saving and reloading.

Basic advice I can give. Use fire teams instead of sending people off by themselves. Make sure you use the buttons that reserve movement points for overwatch (that's the wargaming term for shooting out of your turn). For human structures, you can always make your own door if you're concerned about entrances. If you see Chryssalids, get people back to the ship and hit that abort mission button. :v:

More technical advice: fire everyone with a bravery less than thirty because they're going to get your team killed. Build an alien containment unit ASAP and fill it up since you need to capture some particular ranked aliens to unlock very useful things. Don't shoot up the equipment in downed spacecraft; at the very least you can sell the entertainment units to fund your team. Never sell Elerium. If you really want to scam the system, build another base quickly and then transfer all your scientists and engineers between the bases on the last day of the month; you lose two days of work this way but you don't have to pay anyone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

For some bizarre reason, there's been a "speedrun" category started in which you get through Mario64 while pressing A as few times as possible. Some people took that to an absolutely ridiculous extreme and extensively documented all kinds of weird bugs in the game, which normally would be a cute oddity but do have elaborate applications to save an A press, or half an A press. That one cave-like Mario64 level has an elaborate, several hours long way to complete it in half an A press (as in you are already holding A when you enter the level, and let go at some point in the level).

The absolutely insane level of documentation put together regarding the semantics of what half an A press means and the nuances of the bugs and exploits used in the objective has turned it into something of a running gag online (the people in this thread are mock-taking it seriously and fake getting angry towards dissenters about it. At least I hope they are...)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

For some bizarre reason, there's been a "speedrun" category started in which you get through Mario64 while pressing A as few times as possible. Some people took that to an absolutely ridiculous extreme and extensively documented all kinds of weird bugs in the game, which normally would be a cute oddity but do have elaborate applications to save an A press, or half an A press. That one cave-like Mario64 level has an elaborate, several hours long way to complete it in half an A press (as in you are already holding A when you enter the level, and let go at some point in the level).

The absolutely insane level of documentation put together regarding the semantics of what half an A press means and the nuances of the bugs and exploits used in the objective has turned it into something of a running gag online (the people in this thread are mock-taking it seriously and fake getting angry towards dissenters about it. At least I hope they are...)

You could've explained it faster if you'd gently feathered the Shift and Enter keys instead of hammering on them like some loving touch-typing tutorial amateur :rolleyes:.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

To clarify, you don't let go of A during HMC WFRR. You keep A held until you have to let go to press it again, which may be dozens of stars later in the route.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

But guys, an A press is an A press. You can't say it's only a half!

But first, we need to talk about parallel universes

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Discount Viscount posted:

Battle Pinball
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Sugoi Hebereke
Hashire Hebereke
Parodius Da!
Yossy Island
Pop'n TwinBeee
Tetris Battle Gaiden is incredible. It is VS Tetris with Magical Drop like powers based on what character you pick.

Also look for:
Battle Jockey - Mario Kart horse racing - 5 player
Battle Cross - Super Sprint meets Bomberman - 5 player
Gundam Wing: Endless Duel - Dont worry about being a Gundam fan, it is one of the best fighters on the console and usually very cheap.
Godzilla - Kaijuu Daikessen - The good Godzilla SNES game
Super Bomberman 5 - 4 player with Roos
Super Puyo Puyo 2 - 4 player

fastbilly1 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 23, 2016

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was recently in Japan and didn't find any retro game stores with prices lower than ebay. I went into Super Potato and a basement store in Akhiabara. Did I just not look hard enough? Why would you buy in these stores over finding a copy on ebay with free shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay you have two stars to collect.

In one, you have to press the A button to jump, once.

In another, you don't need to jump, but you have to be holding the A button down in order to perform those weird little kicks.

How many times do you have to press A to collect both stars in succession?

If you can hold down the button after pressing it once for the first star then it's one press.

If you have to press and hold the button a second time then it's two.

• Locked thread