Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Grats on the luxomobile, parents have an a5 and it's rather comfy. Subaru really needs to get rid of the EJ25, it's been a good long run but the FA20 is so much better in every aspect. I regularly get 33-35mpg (note: 70-75mph constant) on the highway and almost 20 in the city without even being cautious. That and they've finally put a 6spd in the WRX makes for a very good delivery platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the current WRX makes the STi completely useless imo unless you're a diehard track rat... and even in that case buy a WRX and use the savings to build it out. Every time I drove my mom's WRX I was wondering why I spent more money for a car that's less fun for everyday driving.

Subaru is printing money and the STi is a low volume car so I guess they don't really give a poo poo, but it's still disappointing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Agreed, I'd also be super upset if they made some STi variant of the FA20-25 maybe, unless they just hopped up the FA20 out back of the factory and slapped it into the new MY STis, which would mean fun bolt-ons!

I really wanted to get an STi over the WRX as having both of some vintage, 05 and 04 respectively, I wanted the extra bits, but on paper more than a few thousand bucks isn't worth the DCCD that I'd never use, way less fuel efficiency, brembos and 20 horsepower.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
Speaking of STi's, I just traded my Z in for a 2015 launch edition. On paper they're not too far apart, and maybe its just me not being used to the turbo yet, but the STi feels so much quicker than the Z ever did. Could also be due to the fact that the Z is an 06 enthusiast with 77k (48k when i bought it) and the STi has 15k.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Buying a used STi? Brave soul :) Love those wheels and the WRB. The only STi color combo imo.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
I never post here, but I had to share this since I'm not much for FB bragging and need to show it off somewhere

brand new '16 Charger Scat Pack. Has the heated/ventilated seat options and a moonroof. Coming from a Fiesta ST and a 2000 Camaro SS shortly before that, I feel like I'm driving a 1%er's car. Its crazy how much cool tech and horsepower is crammed into this car for about 40k. Big V8's have always been my thing, but they've always been 4th gen F-body's that I extensively modified and no matter what, especially with their age, are rattletraps. This car is fast, loud when I want it, and filled with all the creature comforts I never knew I was missing. I'm gushing, but the sound is seriously amazing for a stock vehicle. The first V8 I'm probably going to leave stock exhaust wise. Also, this is probably a travesty, but I love the 8 speed auto. I've had only manuals for the past 13 years, and now that I have a commute with lots of stop and go traffic, I've never been more happy to get into a slushbox. Although this one is no slouch.

We truly live in a golden age of muscle cars. Just hope gas stays cheap!

sativa dreams fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 20, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sativa dreams posted:

I never post here, but I had to share this since I'm not much for FB bragging and need to show it off somewhere

brand new '16 Charger Scat Pack. Has the heated/ventilated seat options and a moonroof. Coming from a Fiesta ST and a 2000 Camaro SS shortly before that, I feel like I'm driving a 1%er's car. Its crazy how much cool tech and horsepower is crammed into this car for about 40k. Big V8's have always been my thing, but they've always been 4th gen F-body's that I extensively modified and no matter what, especially with their age, are rattletraps. This car is fast, loud when I want it, and filled with all the creature comforts I never knew I was missing. I'm gushing, but the sound is seriously amazing for a stock vehicle. The first V8 I'm probably going to leave stock exhaust wise. Also, this is probably a travesty, but I love the 8 speed auto. I've had only manuals for the past 13 years, and now that I have a commute with lots of stop and go traffic, I've never been more happy to get into a slushbox. Although this one is no slouch.

That's awesome, and agreed about the golden age. Now go do a burnout and post it here :D

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

sativa dreams posted:

You look like you're trying to drop so more Scat in the driveway.

(Great choice of car, wish I had one.)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Finally got the wheels I wanted. No more ridiculous poking out minilites. Also shined him up and drove him 200 miles on the highway to a wedding and back. No hiccups. No problems. Good shakedown after finishing restoration recently. Can't wait until spring rolls back around and I can put a bunch more miles on him.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

N is for Nipples posted:

I can't shake the feeling that somehow, I've made a horrible mistake.
But good loving lord, this mistake feels real good. :getin:

Dude I am not really a pickup truck guy but this is the poo poo. I didn't realize there was a configuration like that and I want one now.

Fun fact: after a bit of googling I have learned that your truck, a Tundra and a Panzer IV are all ~19' in length.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

c355n4 posted:

Finally got the wheels I wanted. No more ridiculous poking out minilites. Also shined him up and drove him 200 miles on the highway to a wedding and back. No hiccups. No problems. Good shakedown after finishing restoration recently. Can't wait until spring rolls back around and I can put a bunch more miles on him.

That's outstanding :monocle:

Well done!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

c355n4 posted:

:wow: I love this!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks, I'll be replacing all the wheel studs over the winter. I snapped one when I overtorqued that sucker. ~38 ft/lb seriously?!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

c355n4 posted:

Wow, hello there old timer. You look remarkably good for your age!

That can't have been cheap to pick up. Also exterior hinges look so good.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wow, hello there old timer. You look remarkably good for your age!

That can't have been cheap to pick up. Also exterior hinges look so good.

The hinges were replaced during the restoration with modern equivalents. I still have the original brass ones kicking around somewhere for posterity. They're saggy as gently caress though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Now that's a restoration. The colour is amazing... :allears:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

c355n4 posted:

The hinges were replaced during the restoration with modern equivalents. I still have the original brass ones kicking around somewhere for posterity. They're saggy as gently caress though.

That's awesome, amazing work. :swoon:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

funkatron3000 posted:

Picked up a 2005 V8 4Runner w\ the tow package. My first non-tiny car daily driver, loving it so far. Got it so I can do more towing and hauling without begging to borrow other people's trucks.

I used to have on 07 with the V6 and it was a great vehicle.

Hope you don't have to do the starter on that V8! :buddy:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

c355n4 posted:

It's only four images, but it is so satisfying

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm pretty much going to gut the entire interior of mine over the winter and go over it with a fine tooth comb, I think the alarm on mine went off when we brought it to McTinkerson's place and we couldn't figure out what the hell caused it. Are these things known for pinching a wiring harness or something?

From way back, but the alarm part is all in the "CPU" in the left kick panel. You could take it out entirely except it's also the flashers. I think you can get away with unplugging the top plug. Bottom one is flashers.
My '90 GXL has the alarm, and it went off once when I replaced the CPU (trying to get some of the other functions to work - lighted keyholes and ignition cylinder, for example), then the CPU failed completely. Again. on't care enough to find out why. Everything else works, and I have an aftermarket alarm with keyless.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

From way back, but the alarm part is all in the "CPU" in the left kick panel. You could take it out entirely except it's also the flashers. I think you can get away with unplugging the top plug. Bottom one is flashers.
My '90 GXL has the alarm, and it went off once when I replaced the CPU (trying to get some of the other functions to work - lighted keyholes and ignition cylinder, for example), then the CPU failed completely. Again. on't care enough to find out why. Everything else works, and I have an aftermarket alarm with keyless.

That smells like a recap job to me, the RX7 probably had the same Rubycom/Nichicom capacitors that ate poo poo in my Civic earlier this year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I originally thought pinched wire harness but I'm leaning more towards McTinkerson's bad soldering theory now. All the interior electrics are laughably bad and will randomly kick in and out depending on the temperature and whether you've hit a bump or something but the engine ECU has been rock solid and I was expecting 90% of my problems to be on the fuel injection side of things.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mazda bought some cheap solder or something and the engine ECU came from Nippondenso or some random supplier because it would explain the night and day difference. I know in atleast the Bosch side of Jetronic stuff that wasn't uncommon.

And yeah this stupid thing is infected me now. I full on love that loving engine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gonna need some more pics of that Mini.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I originally thought pinched wire harness but I'm leaning more towards McTinkerson's bad soldering theory now. All the interior electrics are laughably bad and will randomly kick in and out depending on the temperature and whether you've hit a bump or something but the engine ECU has been rock solid and I was expecting 90% of my problems to be on the fuel injection side of things.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mazda bought some cheap solder or something and the engine ECU came from Nippondenso or some random supplier because it would explain the night and day difference. I know in atleast the Bosch side of Jetronic stuff that wasn't uncommon.

And yeah this stupid thing is infected me now. I full on love that loving engine.

On my Civic ECU it was that the high-quality Nichicom/Rubycom electrolytic capacitors had aged out at about 24 years old, then they dripped goo onto the board and melted through the traces. It wouldn't surprise me if being placed close to the heater ducts makes the caps in the signal/alarm ECU get worse faster.

I threw some new high-quality caps at it and bridged the damaged traces, and it's good as new.

Even if you do find bad solder joints, I bet it's because of leaking capacitors. That said, almost all of the NA Miatas sold in Canada have bad DRL modules from cold solder joints so there is some precedent for someone in the Hiroshima supply chain loving up hard at their soldering station design.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The RoHS lead-free solder thing took quite a while to sort out, and operating wave soldering machines is an art unlike most.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slidebite posted:

I used to have on 07 with the V6 and it was a great vehicle.

Hope you don't have to do the starter on that V8! :buddy:
It's really not that bad, just annoying compared to the average starter r&r.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

sativa dreams posted:

Tire Rack Specials:

Looks goofy but driving around yesterday on the wet streets was less harrowing.

LessThanThree
May 2, 2005

'till infinity
Ridiculously nice day for almost December. Got to break in some new tires.

LessThanThree fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 26, 2016

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wow, I thought there's no way those are the stock wheels, but then I thought there's no way someone would buy them separately so I had to look it up and yeah Nissan sells it that way. Looks like a good time though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

angryrobots posted:

It's really not that bad, just annoying compared to the average starter r&r.

Really? That looks more than annoying compared to an average starter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

On an SUV of all things, why?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slidebite posted:

Really? That looks more than annoying compared to an average starter.

I said it's annoying. I'm also not a pro mechanic and did it in an afternoon on my Tundra. You don't even have to drain the coolant, I mean as intake r&r goes it's very straightforward.

I was very underwhelmed by the difficulty, after all the whining I read about it online.

1500quidporsche posted:

On an SUV of all things, why?
I'm guessing packaging. The engine was used across platforms.

It also seems to be a decent location for longevity, I mean living beside an exhaust header isn't ideal. Mine lasted over 200k and was just the solenoid getting flaky.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 26, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You gotta do the one with inverted torx while being paid flat-rate for the real feels.

V8 starters are best like testicles, dangling low for easy access.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

You gotta do the one with inverted torx while being paid flat-rate for the real feels.

V8 starters are best like testicles, dangling low for easy access.

It's not that bad inside the V, just give it a try you might not mind it. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
yeah uh had the V alright. I'm good. Once you go flatrate you never go back.

If you think the V is better may I show you to the N* v8. Its also below the intake, but features an awesome delco starter.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

yeah uh had the V alright. I'm good. Once you go flatrate you never go back.

If you think the V is better may I show you to the N* v8. Its also below the intake, but features an awesome delco starter.

Which means it's poo poo. Has a rubber intake to the throttle which always rips.
Still not as bad as the Ford's with the three starter bolts. One burried in a channel full of rust. Which is like the Cummins with the stupid e torx trash.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
:regd08: Allright, let's go: What's the worst starter you've ever wrenched on?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IIRC some Audi (because of COURSE it's Audi) race cars have the starter inside the transmission, inline with the input shaft.

I think that one's gonna be hard to beat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Personally done? 4g69 (Mitsubishi Eclipse/Galant motor) hands down. The factory service manual states you can remove it without taking off the exhaust manifold. The experience of doing it twice and just simple physics says otherwise. Add in a trip to the eye doctor the first time and a hell of a cold the second time to get the shittiest time I've ever had replacing a starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Saturn SL1, but mostly because half of the bellhousing (or block, I don't remember which it bolted to) threads came out with the bolts. To make things worse I was doing this in my mom's garage shortly after the divorce, so I had fuckall for tools and limited budget with which to acquire them. I think my dad was out of town too at the time so i don't think I had access to his garage either. Somehow ended up buying a bolt of the same thread and ground half of it off to make a ghetto as hell thread chaser, but it worked and cleaned out a shitload of shavings. Starter torqued down and never came off again before that shitbox got donated, so it must've worked.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 27, 2016