Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I look at Reed and I see a guy destined to go full Panda on us too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In case anyone wasn't sure, the Padres are still run by a bunch of braindead imbeciles.

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/801157050793213952

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Maybe the Astros are stealing all their draft information from the Padres or something.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

In case anyone wasn't sure, the Padres are still run by a bunch of braindead imbeciles.

I love completely generic unis

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bawfuls posted:

Those are the most boring unis possible.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Those are the most generic jerseys I've ever seen. All that dramatic buildup just for a white/navy home and grey/navy away.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They showed those brown unis at first and I was like "final they figured it out". Then they show the most generic two tone jerseys possible. Someone fire Padres marketing team.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Padres of uniforms

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I feel bad for the poor intern who got told to edit this video together and make it look ~exciting~

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm intrigued by the Yanks possibly signing Mike Napoli instead of going big on EE or buying on a potential "year too late" scenario with Beltran.

I think a three year deal gets the job done, dude still rakes

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Castro to Minnesota, 3/24.5.

I'm pretty sure this isn't how rebuilding works.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Reports are out of potential CBA strife.

I can't imagine they won't get it done. I mean, what kind of third-rate bush league would come off a terrific season where the longest-suffering franchise finally won the big one in a series everyone was watching, look poised to enjoy a major surge in popularity across the continent, and piss it all away on a meaningless work stoppage? That sort of thing seems like it would tank the league's public image and reduce revenue for decades to come, not to mention cause animosity with the union that would result in more, and worse, work stoppages in the future. No major league would be ridiculous enough to actually do that, right?

Right?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

St. Dogbert posted:

I can't imagine they won't get it done. I mean, what kind of third-rate bush league would come off a terrific season where the longest-suffering franchise finally won the big one in a series everyone was watching, look poised to enjoy a major surge in popularity across the continent, and piss it all away on a meaningless work stoppage? That sort of thing seems like it would tank the league's public image and reduce revenue for decades to come, not to mention cause animosity with the union that would result in more, and worse, work stoppages in the future. No major league would be ridiculous enough to actually do that, right?

Right?

2016 has been an unpredictable year, I now totally expect a backbreaking work stoppage

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bravesword posted:

Castro to Minnesota, 3/24.5.

I'm pretty sure this isn't how rebuilding works.

Yeah, it would be way better for them to sign a terrible catcher that can't manage a staff or help young pitchers out at all.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

St. Dogbert posted:

Right?

Would you like to bet, man?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

St. Dogbert posted:

Right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%9695_NHL_lockout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%9605_NHL_lockout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%9613_NHL_lockout

You can question whether the NHL isn't a third-rate bush league.

e: I think Bettman may be less liked than Roger Goodell.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

mentholmoose posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%9695_NHL_lockout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%9605_NHL_lockout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%9613_NHL_lockout

You can question whether the NHL isn't a third-rate bush league.

e: I think Bettman may be less liked than Roger Goodell.

That is what I had in mind, yes.

By 2030, MLB off-season chat will be dominated by arguments over whether the league should make the pitchers smaller.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

I hope the new CBA requires the Padres to only play on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Carlosologist posted:

2016 has been an unpredictable year, I now totally expect a backbreaking work stoppage

Trump wants to smash unions and the league is ready to take out the strongest one in the country.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Hi I'm here to talk about can't miss minor league prospects that were hugged to great effect

code:
 G   PA   AB   R   H  2B 3B  HR RBI SB CS  BB  SO   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS
134  614  555 11O 178  53  5  43 116  7  3  48 134 .321 .381 .667 1.O47
Man wasn't Brandon Wood great in 2005? What a shame that he ended up being worth -3.7 WAR in parts of 6 MLB seasons and washed out in 2014 after some bad AAA and Independent ball.

code:
G   PA   AB   R   H  2B 3B  HR RBI SB CS  BB  SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
137  597  541  94 166  38  O  39 12O  4  3  48 123 .3O7 .363 .593 .957
Here's MLB bound prospect Brian Dopirak crushing the Midwest League at age 20... and out of baseball by 2011 without even a cup of coffee in the majors.

code:
45  194  164  44  67  14  3  17  53  2  1  21  31 .4O9 .495 .841 1.336
And here we have the first 2 months of Jake Fox blowing up AAA in early 2009 before he was called up for 82 games of -0.2 WAR contribution. This one's actually still playing baseball, hasn't been in an MLB game since 2011 but has bounced around between AA, AAA, Independent ball and the Mexican and Korean legaues. He slashed .264/.329/.494 for the Phillies AA affiliate and seems to be the definition of roster filler.

Will Torres end up like them? Maybe, maybe not. But nobody in Chicago is going to 'what might have been' Torres even if he becomes the next Mike Trout because of what 2016 will mean to the Cubs and the city forever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a lot of information here in this thread, here's an interesting fact: the Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

Hi I'm here to talk about can't miss minor league prospects that were hugged to great effect

code:
134  614  555 11O 178  53  5  43 116  7  3  48 134 .321 .381 .667 1.O47
Man wasn't Brandon Wood great in 2005? What a shame that he ended up being worth -3.7 WAR in parts of 6 MLB seasons and washed out in 2014 after some bad AAA and Independent ball.

code:
G   PA   AB   R   H  2B 3B  HR RBI SB CS  BB  SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
137  597  541  94 166  38  O  39 12O  4  3  48 123 .3O7 .363 .593 .957
Here's MLB bound prospect Brian Dopirak crushing the Midwest League at age 20... and out of baseball by 2011 without even a cup of coffee in the majors.

code:
45  194  164  44  67  14  3  17  53  2  1  21  31 .4O9 .495 .841 1.336
And here we have the first 2 months of Jake Fox blowing up AAA in early 2009 before he was called up for 82 games of -0.2 WAR contribution. This one's actually still playing baseball, hasn't been in an MLB game since 2011 but has bounced around between AA, AAA, Independent ball and the Mexican and Korean legaues. He slashed .264/.329/.494 for the Phillies AA affiliate and seems to be the definition of roster filler.

Will Torres end up like them? Maybe, maybe not. But nobody in Chicago is going to 'what might have been' Torres even if he becomes the next Mike Trout because of what 2016 will mean to the Cubs and the city forever.

This post doesn't have enough All Star Brian "The Hair" LaHair

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh we're gonna go down the sure-fire prospect road?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Thread needs fewer "guys who just turned out to be bad" and more Brien Taylor

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh we're gonna go down the sure-fire prospect road?

Montero is so bad that Yankees fans are bummed about it even though they traded him while he was good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Something we all agree on: Vin Scully is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLv4hrdJkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9a8Yrp-H5M
(Vin's citation starts at 28:30)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The main issue holding the CBA is apparently implementing an international draft. The players have put their foot down and said absolutely not, so much so that they were apparently offered getting rid of the QO entirely as compensation, and they still turned it down.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The international draft is bad for anyone who's not a team owner trying to save money. A good position by the union.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good, that whole concept is garbage

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

we will give up something that affects ten people. you give up something that affects 300. thanks

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Remember when like the whole Angels farm system was untouchable and the best of the bunch turned out to be like Erick Aybar and Howie Kendrick

Trade all the prospects even if it "glues a mm to one side of the coin" or whatever

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

St. Dogbert posted:

Right?

It's all the Cubs fault, obviously.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Klaw is saying that the CBA stuff is the owners putting out garbage to the media to try and get leverage, so basically just ignore it

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

Remember when like the whole Angels farm system was untouchable and the best of the bunch turned out to be like Erick Aybar and Howie Kendrick

Trade all the prospects even if it "glues a mm to one side of the coin" or whatever

Kendrick and Aybar were all star caliber middle infielders for a decade. Not fair that Adenhart died and Wood might as well have. A huge portion of that 2007~ group made it to the majors, Willits, Bourjos, Sean Rodriguez, Mathis, Conger.

I remember an article written about the Angels top 25 prospects from like 2006 and how like 20 of them either turned into major leaguers or were traded for major leaguers, which is a huge rate.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone else watch the Fastball doc on Netflix? It's pretty bland but it's baseball, so I'll watch Goose Gossage talk about the Law of the Jungle and Walter Johnson's 83.2 MPH heater.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone else watch the Fastball doc on Netflix? It's pretty bland but it's baseball, so I'll watch Goose Gossage talk about the Law of the Jungle and Walter Johnson's 83.2 MPH heater.

I watched it a few months back, I really enjoyed learning about how inhuman Nolan Ryan was.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Good Dog posted:

Kendrick and Aybar were all star caliber middle infielders for a decade. Not fair that Adenhart died and Wood might as well have. A huge portion of that 2007~ group made it to the majors, Willits, Bourjos, Sean Rodriguez, Mathis, Conger.

I remember an article written about the Angels top 25 prospects from like 2006 and how like 20 of them either turned into major leaguers or were traded for major leaguers, which is a huge rate.

Amount of Angels titles won in that timespan:

(trade all the fuckin prospects flags fly forever)

And Kendrick and Aybar have 2 career ASGs combined and two seasons each over 4 WAR. They were solidly above average but not amazing.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 23, 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

Amount of Angels titles won in that timespan:

(trade all the fuckin prospects flags fly forever)

And Kendrick and Aybar have 2 career ASGs combined and two seasons each over 4 WAR. They were solidly above average but not amazing.

If only the Angels hadn't hoarded all those prospects they were sitting on the last 5 years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

"That fastball totally rises at the end, man. I don't care what all the smartass nerds say"-- Bryce Harper

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The best part of Fastball was Bob Gibson's seamlessly straight-faced bullshit about not throwing at dudes intercut with a bunch of hitters talking about what a mean son of a bitch he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bad boy in the boy band posted:

"That fastball totally rises at the end, man. I don't care what all the smartass nerds say"-- Bryce Harper

Make Baseball Dumb Again

• Locked thread