Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Say what you will about Green Day but some of my most fun RB times have been singing the close harmonies and playing guitar together in the medleys of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
So here's what might be stupid questions about exports:

I have a PS4. I do not own a PS3 and never have. Harmonix has a post stickied on reddit which says that both RB3 and RB:Blitz are still available to export (here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/5ddpto/export_megathread_bringing_disc_songs_from_past/)

From that post, the RB:Blitz instructions say to buy Blitz (that's easy), but then they also say to go to another page and get the 'Soundtrack' which I'm guessing is just the rights to push those tracks into RB4. That link is here: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/rock-band-blitz-soundtrack/cid=UP8802-CUSA02084_00-RBBLITZPA01EB800

But from that site:

So two questions:
1. What's the deal with this thing not being purchasable? Or is this export free and that's why it says not available for purchase? I don't want to drop $15 on Blitz just to find out it's not actually usable
2. Do I need to have any achievements or something unlocked like you need in RB3 to qualify for it?

Lastly: regarding the RB3 export. Can I just find someone that has a PS3 with a copy of RB3 and have them login to my PSN account from their console and play a song to qualify? I'd like to get these things before they ultimately expire and I miss out like I did on the previous ones :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beelzebozo posted:

Holy poo poo! :eek: I haven't paid any attention to Green Day since about 1992, so I had no idea what you were talking about. But somehow you piqued my curiosity enough to look it up, and wow. That's quite a thing. If anyone else was out on the in-joke, go listen to their song 21 Guns. The chorus is a blatant rip-off of All the Young Dudes and the guitar solo is a blatant rip-off of Everywhere You Look. It's pretty incredible. Laffo, what a poo poo band.

Speaking of The 90s and ripoff songs, you reminded me of how badly I want Elastica's "Connection" in Rock Band because LORD KNOWS THEY'D NEVER GIVE US A WIRE SONG

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-0qIgZjXs

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
There was that (2010) Gang of Four song in RBN, except it was mishandled so poorly it was pulled from sale.

But I should stop before we go down that road again. Instead, let's get drunk on cheap wine.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Beelzebozo posted:

Holy poo poo! :eek: I haven't paid any attention to Green Day since about 1992, so I had no idea what you were talking about. But somehow you piqued my curiosity enough to look it up, and wow. That's quite a thing. If anyone else was out on the in-joke, go listen to their song 21 Guns. The chorus is a blatant rip-off of All the Young Dudes and the guitar solo is a blatant rip-off of Everywhere You Look. It's pretty incredible. Laffo, what a poo poo band.

Hoooly poo poo, musical FedEx arrow. And I loved All the Young Dudes. I wish someone had converted the GH:A cover with the guitar solo to a custom for RB3.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Orange Harrison posted:

Hoooly poo poo, musical FedEx arrow. And I loved All the Young Dudes. I wish someone had converted the GH:A cover with the guitar solo to a custom for RB3.

If anyone is out on the in-joke, there is an arrow hidden in the FedEx logo that, once seen, cannot be unseen.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I hate this song, but, uh, holy poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduIYV78b0c

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Dr Zaius posted:

I hate this song, but, uh, holy poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduIYV78b0c

Why's he so excited about 250xp?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Doesn't even fit the weekly challenge and contribute to his crew. Shameful.

Seriously though, :aaaaa:.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 22, 2016

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Trash Boat posted:

Doesn't even fit the weekly challenge and contribute to his crew. Shameful.

Seriously though, :aaaaa:.

Speaking of which, if anyone would care to join Trash Boat and I on Team Curmudgeon we have one space made recently available by an idler. At this point I think we're most in need of just another crew XP grinder. If you're looking to help push Spotlight scores I don't think we have a strong instrument preference at present.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm never going to hit the 2nd drum fill in Chorus 1A of Still Into You mother FUCKER

Team Normals needs some help this week we are getting crushed

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Moundgarden posted:

I'm never going to hit the 2nd drum fill in Chorus 1A of Still Into You mother FUCKER

Team Normals needs some help this week we are getting crushed

I'm not a drummer, but that song was giving all three (four?) of our dudes fits this week. We barely even gold starred it, which would've been our first white star Spotlight chart yet, if not.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It is one of only two songs I have ever used practice mode for. For some reason I just can't get my dumb arms and legs to do a select few sections of this drat song and apparently it's enough to leave me ~6k shy of gold. I can hit 172k on pro and it requires 178k and change and just :argh:

I even tried turning static fills off to try and cheese my way through the parts I can't hit and nope that didn't help. This and Miracle Man have been the only ones thus far I haven't been able to gold

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Your next weekly challenge, AKA "Hope all you folks like Green Day!" (and I'm saying that as one of the few peope here who does)

I know it won't happen, but here's hoping we finally get that re-entitling of Blood Sugar Sex Majik within the next couple of days.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Well I don't think anyone in my crew is buying the green day song so we're hosed on spotlight score.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Black and White aren't colours of the rainbow...

How about some RHCP, Deep Purple, Blue Öyster Cult?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Got gold on Still Into You at the last minute, gently caress you song

~Coxy posted:

Black and White aren't colours of the rainbow...

How about some RHCP, Deep Purple, Blue Öyster Cult?

Godzilla is one of my favorite songs to play, I am all about that. Don't have any RHCP or Deep Purple in my library, I should fix that

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sweet Child In Time is a great song.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I can confirm that years later Snow ((Hey Oh)) is still utter unfun bullshit on guitar. I barely got 5 stars and am still ranked 79th overall.

Really not feeling the theme this week. I have 99 songs that fit the criteria but 45 are green day and the bulk of the rest aren't that exciting either.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My PDP adapter not only arrived today, but it arrived in Canada instead of the drop ship location I had to use to get their web form to sell me one. Works great, except for the Xbox light on my ion kit blinking all the time :shrug:

Oh god I'm awful at this amazing game someone hold me

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Dr Zaius posted:

Really not feeling the theme this week. I have 99 songs that fit the criteria but 45 are green day and the bulk of the rest aren't that exciting either.

Yeah. I was sick on the weekend and for most of the time going forward, so I didn't get to play much of the last challenge until the last day, and I still couldn't sing so I just played bass, which I am way way way out of practice on. I was looking forward to doing more for this challenge, but I've only got 29 songs, and hell if I'm buying any Green Day.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Does the Bruno Mars song feel like its calibration is off for anyone else? It looks like I'm missing notes unless I strum really early.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

flakeloaf posted:

My PDP adapter not only arrived today, but it arrived in Canada instead of the drop ship location I had to use to get their web form to sell me one. Works great, except for the Xbox light on my ion kit blinking all the time :shrug:

Oh god I'm awful at this amazing game someone hold me

I opened mine up and used tiny slices of electrical tape to block the surface mounted LEDs. No more blinding green flash while I'm trying to play!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Microsoft store Black Friday deal is rock band 4 + guitar for $40. It isn't rivals, but for anyone who has been waiting to upgrade from 3, it's a solid deal. Link here: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Rock-Band-4-Guitar-Bundle-for-Xbox-One/productID.319985600

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I got 1080xp on a single song and forgot to take a picture. And it'll never happen again because replay penalties. :doh:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I FC'd Jesus of suburbia earlier and the XP bonus must have been something like that. What song did you play?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Child in Time FC on Bass and Brutal Mode FC on vocals.
My Homecoming FC didn't break 1000 because it took two tries :(

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
The PDP adapter is hilariously cheap looking, it doesnt even have a label on the bottom of it.

Anyway whats the current xbox group with free spaces since ill probably be upgrading to Rivals over the weekend.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

cronox2 posted:

The PDP adapter is hilariously cheap looking, it doesnt even have a label on the bottom of it.

Anyway whats the current xbox group with free spaces since ill probably be upgrading to Rivals over the weekend.

Team Curmudgeon has a slot currently.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Really wish there were black friday discounts on DLC.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
So I fired up this game for the first time in months. It seems I've gotten all my missing song entitlements. 2112 I had to manually search for it and click to Install.
Now I'm only missing Don't Stop Believing from my list I made back in October of 2015...did I miss an announcement with that one or that one is still in limbo?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

TrojanNemo posted:

So I fired up this game for the first time in months. It seems I've gotten all my missing song entitlements. 2112 I had to manually search for it and click to Install.
Now I'm only missing Don't Stop Believing from my list I made back in October of 2015...did I miss an announcement with that one or that one is still in limbo?

Don't Stop Believing is among the group of stuff that has been removed from the store because the licensing deal could not be renewed. They have said they will make that stuff available eventually but as the lowest priority. Not surprising since that's content they have to figure out some system to make available to the original buyers while preventing anyone else from buying it, which is a weird situation for both Harmonix and the platform. (EDIT: Unless they solve the problem by signing a new licensing deal.)

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 26, 2016

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

thefncrow posted:

(EDIT: Unless they solve the problem by signing a new licensing deal.)

I remember that's how they got back Give it Away and Spoonman, by licensing them into Rock Band Blitz after the on-disc contract either expired or didn't allow exporting. It was probably during that re-signing of "Spoonman" that they re-licensed "Black Hole Sun" and patched RB3 to make it appear if you exported it.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I know the backstory, it was just a question of whether they had fixed those licensing issues. Guess not.

I know the difficulties they face... but they did say as part of the pitch that we would get all our songs. That's patently false a year later, no? And I guess the whole idea of revising the RBN songs and bring them as DLC or something is just not happening either? Bah.

I did play the game for about an hour today. It is certainly more polished than before. But with all that's missing, it's still a percentage of RB3 for me, without the promise of customs. So eh.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

I can't find a Guitar Hero Live thread and hope there might be a little crossover with fans of Rock Band.
The wife and I recently did the big upgrade of getting an Xbox One and importing all our old DLC to Rock Band 4. It gave me the craving for more rhythm games. I was able to find a copy of Guitar Hero Live for 360 for $25. They were sold out of Xbox One versions. Anyone know if there are any major differences before I open this thing up and it becomes nonreturnable?

Rock Band 4 talk. Rock Band is good. I have missed our late nights of music making 5 days a week.

Blankspot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 27, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I don't remember anyone in the GH thread, or here for that matter, talking about playing the 360 version. It can't be that bad, but I wasn't able to get into the new guitar design and stopped playing after a few days.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's an FMV game. Unless they royally hosed up something in the engine, it should run fine on 360.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

Probably going to open it up then. Thanks Sir Tonk.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Orange Harrison posted:

I got 1080xp on a single song and forgot to take a picture. And it'll never happen again because replay penalties. :doh:

I had to try it. Mismanaged my overdrive in the last portion of the song, otherwise might have bested your score. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
My PDP adapter came, and got new cymbals and a new bass drum practice pad. I feel like a rusted robot that is getting a slow drip of WD40 as I regain any semblance of skill I once had. I'd play customs here and there on RB3 but I never cared how well I did or anything so it would be like an hour every few months to play, kinda wish I had never stopped playing a lot. Happy to be playing again, can't wait for the online multiplayer patch!

*edit Also this week's crews poo poo sucks

*edit2 Does anyone else have trouble discerning between cymbals and pad hits when there is a lot of poo poo going on in a song? My eyes are poo poo but I miss how stuff looked on 3.

Vildiil fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 27, 2016