Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
Sounds like i made 1st, please advise on how not to kill self...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

ARE YOU READY FOR CPO-365 SHIPMATE?!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

Buy goat head t-shirt and stare at every day thinking how it will be you, also become a freemason

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
If nothing goes haywire with my orders I'll be reporting soon to ECS school for CRS 10. Anyone have experience with RIVRON stuff? Should I become a PT nut?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

become a freemason and marry a filipina chick

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
my future sounds so bright :negative:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

I was beaten to the 365, freemason, and foreign wife joke so grats?

I suppose this varies based on command, but when I made first nothing really changed other than being more of a mentor for junior sailors. You still can't affect change of any meaningful kind unless you're an lpo, and even then your chief has to not be in your way.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

Embrace the suck.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Thronde posted:

If nothing goes haywire with my orders I'll be reporting soon to ECS school for CRS 10. Anyone have experience with RIVRON stuff? Should I become a PT nut?

Culture of fitness shipmate. :chiefsay:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Null Integer posted:

Culture of fitness shipmate. :chiefsay:

It's funny you mention that. Since I went FTS, every chief always spouting about that bullshit utterly failed BCA.

What I'm saying is chiefs are fatties.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Null Integer posted:

The most miserable people on the boat during shipyard are the nukes, and it was three times worse for the officers. It wasn't the work alone, it wasn't the conditions alone, it wasn't the culture alone. When you combine the hours, nuclear culture, navy BS, and a toxic command(guaranteed in shipyard) is when it gets to be too much for a lot of people.

This. So much of this. God forbid you're late getting out of shipyard, like we were. 3 months late. Might as well be on deployment at that point.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

Buy goat head t-shirt and stare at every day thinking how it will be you, also become a freemason

Wait I was a Freemason before I joined. Should I actually wear my ring for secret blo-.... hand shakes?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Alternatively, get an MBA or other similar degree

I had a buddy get a project management job with Cisco after the Navy, but he was able to demonstrate pretty clearly why he was an excellent fit for it (it's most of what you mentioned).

I had a recruiter tell me straight out that my experience was great for project management but nobody would hire me unless I got a certification.

e: This was at the height of the recession, mind you.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 22, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Null Integer posted:

The LT isn't wrong, in shipyard you will do tons of "project management" being the supervisor of evolutions and making sure your division deliverables are on track with the shipyard schedule. It's really closer to making sure your poo poo gets done and telling shipyard when it doesn't so they can fix it for you.

The most miserable people on the boat during shipyard are the nukes, and it was three times worse for the officers. It wasn't the work alone, it wasn't the conditions alone, it wasn't the culture alone. When you combine the hours, nuclear culture, navy BS, and a toxic command(guaranteed in shipyard) is when it gets to be too much for a lot of people.

A lot of my nuke officers lived onboard the ship or barge for weeks at a time because it wasn't worth it to try to drive home and drive back if all you were going to have time to do was sleep for a few hours. If they wanted a full night's rest, they wouldn't go home.

[Ask] me about doing a 4 year carrier nuclear reactor refueling

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

I got out when I made 1st and it was the best decision.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Commoners posted:

I got out when I made 1st and it was the best decision.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what's the yards like for non-nukers? We're heading there sometime next year if the ship we replace isn't late. I'm not really worried if it's super lovely because I'm just thinking about how I'll actually get to go home every night for a good few years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

So what's the yards like for non-nukers? We're heading there sometime next year if the ship we replace isn't late. I'm not really worried if it's super lovely because I'm just thinking about how I'll actually get to go home every night for a good few years.

Get real friendly with the needlegun. You're going to strip and paint the same surface forever.

Also, LOL if you think you are going home with any sort of regularity.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hobolicious posted:

This. So much of this. God forbid you're late getting out of shipyard, like we were. 3 months late. Might as well be on deployment at that point.

I slept on the boat for most of our drydock period so I would have time to get in a workout and still get around 7 hours of sleep after chow and showering. It was actually significantly worse than deployment

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

It really depends a lot.

I knew plenty of guys that got skate jobs where they basically sat around all day waiting to go home. I knew just as many that spent all day needlegunning into the night. Absolutely do not volunteer to go on a "cable pull" team. It might be the worst thing.

Pro-tip: Be extra careful of pulling apart ventilation ducting. Asbestos is a real risk. It somehow still gets installed even when its not supposed to be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just wait until you have insurv 6 months after your dry dock.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Howard Phillips posted:

Having Navy Officer, specifically SWO, experience on the resume seems to be a mixed bag as I prepare for civilian land.

Your largest talents are difficult to calculate and plenty enough SWOs suck at learning the most important lessons to take with them that even if employers knew wtf you did, they'd have every right to worry. You are, after all, management potential with no on-hand. All threat with few benefits.

I'm still in, so of course I'm completely insane. But your skills and and experiences are difficult to represent and there are lots of bad lessons you could have learned in addition to good. My expectation is that, unless you were one of the lovely ones, you're going to excel at a variety of tasks because you can organize, lead, and give-a-gently caress about things you don't give a gently caress about--so my recommendation is turn those general traits to specific experiences and accomplishments ASAP by taking the best role you can find, blowing it out of the water while pursuing next level qualification/schooling and killing that simultaneously (because you're 50% coffee by mass) and then having a bitching package in two years. But immediately, you should expect to rate poorly compared to others who just went straight into that job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just wait until you have insurv 6 months after your dry dock.

Thanks for unearthing those memories from the concrete-lined cask.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
A berthing barge would make a pretty nice party boat if you found one cheap and fixed it up right.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

no bones about it posted:

Get real friendly with the needlegun. You're going to strip and paint the same surface forever.

Also, LOL if you think you are going home with any sort of regularity.

KetTarma posted:

It really depends a lot.

I knew plenty of guys that got skate jobs where they basically sat around all day waiting to go home. I knew just as many that spent all day needlegunning into the night. Absolutely do not volunteer to go on a "cable pull" team. It might be the worst thing.

Pro-tip: Be extra careful of pulling apart ventilation ducting. Asbestos is a real risk. It somehow still gets installed even when its not supposed to be.

Sooo stay in security. Got it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

piL posted:

You are, after all, management potential with no on-hand. All threat with few benefits.

As much as they suck being willing to take on an internship while working on an advanced degree or qualifications could be useful, you could demonstrate you have actual interpersonal skills and can work collaboratively with others.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

As much as they suck being willing to take on an internship while working on an advanced degree or qualifications could be useful, you could demonstrate you have actual interpersonal skills and can work collaboratively with others.

This and a 20 can get you a bj from a lot lizard.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Crossdeck (won't happen) or get out of the navy. Otherwise, unless you are one of maybe 30 people on the ship lucky enough to get a skate gig, you are going to hate your life, because your command will be incapable of task management and will be constantly behind and take it out you, of course, because, guess what, they have no consequences for utilizing their infinitely available manpower.

gently caress the shipyards. gently caress insurv, gently caress the Navy.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Crossdeck (won't happen) or get out of the navy. Otherwise, unless you are one of maybe 30 people on the ship lucky enough to get a skate gig, you are going to hate your life, because your command will be incapable of task management and will be constantly behind and take it out you, of course, because, guess what, they have no consequences for utilizing their infinitely available manpower.

gently caress the shipyards. gently caress insurv, gently caress the Navy.

Good thing on being a squadron. No shipyards. Just NAS Fallon. Sure, half the port call is spend on watch and not actually leaving the ship, but.. uhh..

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

There's a lot of nonsense in the Seabees but having no part of Insurv sure sounds a-ok

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Hi, Navy thread, just letting you know that personal data for more than 130,000 US Navy sailors has been hacked. You can thank a Hewlett Packard contractor, and yes, it includes SSNs. Happy Thanksgiving.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Lord Awkward posted:

Hi, Navy thread, just letting you know that personal data for more than 130,000 US Navy sailors has been hacked. You can thank a Hewlett Packard contractor, and yes, it includes SSNs. Happy Thanksgiving.

Who gives a gently caress? After the OPM hack this is just another drop of piss in the bucket.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

So it's Wednesday is what you're saying

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

hogmartin posted:

A berthing barge would make a pretty nice party boat if you found one cheap and fixed it up right.

Having living on berthing barges for weeks here and there I agree. But they have horrible AC, which in Guam is very bad thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So the Chinese got my PII a second time now?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

So the Chinese got my PII a second time now?

That you know of.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

hogmartin posted:

Ours had some type of mold growing in the berthing areas. It was like having a mild cold constantly for the entire time we were there.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We got that in our showers on the ship. Masta Chief said it was an acceptable amount. :confused:

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
We just had poop in the angle irons of our showers. Since all the heads were secured for several months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Anita Dickinme posted:

We got that in our showers on the ship. Masta Chief said it was an acceptable amount. :confused:

Send pictures to your local congressional rep. Congress getting pissed is what prompted the AF to start cleaning up Al Udeid a few months ago, after 15 years of airmen getting sick.

• Locked thread