Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zore posted:

I mean, a lot of this was also true of Zygarde along with a ton of other circumstantial evidence and we saw how that turned out.

... why did they call the Super-Moves Z moves anyways?

My guess is that Pokemon Z was in the works but something happened in development and things got rolled into the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Butterfree can learn Thief, by the way. And Compound Eyes is its only ability. So if anyone else cares about getting a Thick Club or whatever, that's a good and easy way to do it.

It's actually the only CompoundEyes user in the game, so it's more or less your only way to do it until pokebank.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Dr. Stab posted:

My guess is that Pokemon Z was in the works but something happened in development and things got rolled into the next game.

It seems like a possibility, between Z moves and Zygrade getting a role

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Clarste posted:

I have like a rainbow one, and the Pokedex calls it the "East Sea" form. Which implies to me it's regions within Alola, not the international Region.

That name actually refers to the east coast of Sinnoh, where blue Shellos/Gastrodon were found. The red Shellos/Gastrodon found on the west side of Sinnoh's mountain range are, naturally, West Sea Form. I'd assumed the forms were version-specific, are they East Sea Form in both Sun and Moon?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

EclecticTastes posted:

That name actually refers to the east coast of Sinnoh, where blue Shellos/Gastrodon were found. The red Shellos/Gastrodon found on the west side of Sinnoh's mountain range are, naturally, West Sea Form. I'd assumed the forms were version-specific, are they East Sea Form in both Sun and Moon?

I have Moon, if that helps.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

EclecticTastes posted:

Wait, are you saying the only shellos in the game are blue shellos?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is it possible to get anything interesting from Wonder Trade? Experts say no.

I got an Ultra Beast when trading back someone's garbage pokemon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

Wait, are you saying the only shellos in the game are blue shellos?

:same:

Pink Gastrodon is a cutie and I'm sad if I can't have it on my team. My friend who has Sun apparently also got a blue one so it seems that's all we get :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't know what the deal with Gastrodon is other then it's cry sounds like some kind of cartoon ladybug thing and it makes me wanna squeeze it.

E: I don't even know what I just typed.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Wait, what if they're planning for Gen 8 to be like Johto/Kanto, where you're in another island region (based on Polynesia or something) that's close enough to Alola that when you beat the local league, Professor Kukui shows up and is like "Hey, we just finished our Pokemon League that incorporates the Island Challenge, you should try to beat it." And Gastrodon shows up in that one, but only the pink one.

Say what you want about Game Freak, but they sure do know how to inspire wild speculation.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Looker is back!!!

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Got me a Honedge.:toot: Hopefully he'll handle the Battle Tree better than the rest of my regular team

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Is the TM trick the fastest way to raise friendship?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Man, so there's this dude in the Festival Plaza who I registered VIP because of his glorious garish outfit I can't buy pieces of in Moon. Pink shirt, pink bag, pink pants, and these searing yellow aviator shades that burn retinas like the sun. This is the second day in a row where he's offered the default shoes and it's supremely hosed up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

slev posted:

feed that fucker some rainbow beanzzz

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Khanstant posted:

Friendship and Refresh Affection are two completely different things.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Khanstant posted:

That raises affection, not friendship.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quick question: is it ever possible to buy the Team Skull outfit in like, the post game?
I need that outfit, man.
I need it.

e: I just got to Po town, and I am digging this place. The music is cool, the constant storms are cool, it's full of these dorky losers, it's great.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 23, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Hmm, I'm thinking that a Salazzle set of flamethrower (or fireblast I guess but I heavily distrust inaccurate moves), sludge wave, toxic, and taunt may be workable. Fire and Poison cover a lot of bases and toxic is for anything else. Taunt is specifically to screw over Chansey/Blissey ( I assume they're still incredibly overused, been a long time since I played any competitive pokemon though) since it would render them easy setup-bait for any number of pokemon if done on the switch in and since toxic would not work very well.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Quick question: is it ever possible to buy the Team Skull outfit in like, the post game?
I need that outfit, man.
I need it.

I've seen the shirt in Festival Plaza but I dunno about the rest of it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Does anyone know what triggers eggs to hatch on Isle Avue? Like is it still steps or just time?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

slev posted:

what tm trick?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Alright. Two questions. When breeding genderless pokemon aka metagross will they keep the pokeball they were in? And can somebody powersave me up some moon balls in the future because single apricorn ball thing gamefreak has going on is some hot horseshit.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mazerunner posted:

what tm trick?

Supposedly, TMs give happiness now, so you can farm it up by teaching a Pokemon two alternating TMs over and over. I don't know if it's confirmed, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blaziken386 posted:

I need that outfit, man.
I need it.

e: I just got to Po town, and I am digging this place. The music is cool, the constant storms are cool, it's full of these dorky losers, it's great.

You can buy the Skull Tank after the credits roll.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

AlphaKretin posted:

Supposedly, TMs give happiness now, so you can farm it up by teaching a Pokemon two alternating TMs over and over. I don't know if it's confirmed, though.

If it works, the increases from it even with a Soothe Bell, are extremely low to make the whole process slow and boring, so you would honestly probably better off increasing friendship through the normal methods.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

as funny as the thing earlier was I have to say that calling for help is about my least favorite mechanic right now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yoooo, why is my Mimikyu not spawning? Is he day/night dependent?

e: It spawned :toot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Yoooo, why is my Mimikyu not spawning? Is he day/night dependent?

Nope, just rare

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

What is the max level of your festival thing, and is there a cap on VIPs? I tried to register someone earlier but it said it failed, so I removed someone else and tried again, but got the same message.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Friendship and Refresh Affection are two completely different things.

:O

What the heck, why? I thought that was the whole point of that pokemon amie system to begin with lol. So, really, it's back to a hidden variable affected mostly by walking, violence, and a tiny handful of bag fillers?

The affection system seems like such a better way to mechanically represent happiness and loyalty. Like, you get to see them be happy and do little animal things to show their feelings.

Does that mean you can have a pokemon with max affection but 0 friendship so it has a strong Frustration? Just a very affectionate, unhappy pokemon. Except that it's unhappiness isn't shown or even apparent unless you talk to an arbitrary NPC in each game, want to use one of these moves nobody uses, or suddenly when your togepi evolves or whatever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Spider Covets posted:

What is the max level of your festival thing, and is there a cap on VIPs? I tried to register someone earlier but it said it failed, so I removed someone else and tried again, but got the same message.
Max level is like 100 I think, it's something absurdly high, and I believe the cap on VIPs is 50.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The little "doink" noise Mimikyu makes when it's disguise falls is just so cute to me, I dunno why.

Unrelated note + 3rd island spoilers: The general state of Po Town, the fact that all the grunts are basically homeless, and the constant storminess makes me feel genuinely bad about fighting the Team Skull Grunts. I just want to wrap them in blankets and feed them cookies, darnit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa, speaking of Togepi. Just noticed the line changed to part fairy. Is Fairy/Flying better or worse than Normal/Flying? I lost my old one but I really liked how Serene Grace made so many of the secondary effect moves really strong.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, speaking of Togepi. Just noticed the line changed to part fairy. Is Fairy/Flying better or worse than Normal/Flying? I lost my old one but I really liked how Serene Grace made so many of the secondary effect moves really strong.

fairy is one of the best types in the game, and normal has nothing weak to it

you figure it out

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Khanstant posted:

It's been Fairy/Flying since last gen, but I like its new typing a lot! It makes it an anti-dragon flinch tank! Serene Grace is still its best ability since it still gets STAB Air Slash.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

The little "doink" noise Mimikyu makes when it's disguise falls is just so cute to me, I dunno why.

Unrelated note + 3rd island spoilers: The general state of Po Town, the fact that all the grunts are basically homeless, and the constant storminess makes me feel genuinely bad about fighting the Team Skull Grunts. I just want to wrap them in blankets and feed them cookies, darnit.

The whole team is like that actually. Even Guzma and Plumeria are actually poor and have pretty sad backstories. Their desire for money stems from the fact a lot of them literally can't afford basic necessities. Weirdly they're like the anti-team flare, no world domination plans they just want to get through day to day and be acknowledged as worthwhile. The grunts have blatant self esteem issues too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

Togekiss sucks because it's immune to Garchomp and I hate it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

fairy is one of the best types in the game, and normal has nothing weak to it

you figure it out

Yeah but normal is also pretty chill defensively. I'm looking at a thingy now.

Normal/Flying only takes 2x against 3 types. Is immune to 2, and resists 2.

Fairy/Flying has 5 2x weaknesses, but is immune to 2, half from 2, and a quarter from another 2.

I'm assuming that poison and steel aren't common offensive threat types still so almost not worth worrying about, plus immune to dragons is dope and that's why fairy is the best type ok i get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Does Iron Fist boost Crabhammer? Bulbapedia doesn't have it listed as a punch-based move but before this gen no pokemon with Iron Fist could learn it so I figure it's at least worth asking.