Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have a fuckton of files that I want to sort. All of their filenames are thankfully correct, but now I want to dump them into separate folders. Is there anything I can use to scan a folder for a certain string in filenames and then move all of the hits to another folder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's probably something better, but if this is a one-time thing, you can probably get it done with FreeCommander. It's a little complicated, but you can basically create a search, use the search to create a list of files throughout a hierarchy, then perform actions on them more or less as though they were one big selection. Depending on your fuckton and whether this is a one-off task, it might be easier to do this manually than learn a dedicated sorting tool. Disclaimer: I have only done this with fairly small filesets, couple hundred or so.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

doctorfrog posted:

There's probably something better, but if this is a one-time thing, you can probably get it done with FreeCommander. It's a little complicated, but you can basically create a search, use the search to create a list of files throughout a hierarchy, then perform actions on them more or less as though they were one big selection. Depending on your fuckton and whether this is a one-off task, it might be easier to do this manually than learn a dedicated sorting tool. Disclaimer: I have only done this with fairly small filesets, couple hundred or so.

I have to sort threw a few thousand of them and I might need to do it many times as-needed. I can't imagine a dedicated sorting tool being too complicated for this kind of thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DropIt looks ok to completely automate it for the future.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flipperwaldt posted:

DropIt looks ok to completely automate it for the future.

I don't necessarily want to automate it, but this works pretty much how I want it to. Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's the go to for 1-3 user VPN software these days?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Win10 updated last night and appeared to change at least something with regards to how the file explorer behaves, because now I can longer quite use Clover in the same fashion as I used to; basically I used to be able to just click on a taskbar pinned instance of Clover without having to bother with the explorer itself. Clover will still work but I have to launch it by going to explorer directly, and in fact launching Clover directly causes it to hang somehow.

I think it's been a while since Clover actually updated so what I'm wondering is whether there has been any sort of better, or at least something more reliably maintained/updated, tabbed file explorer solution implemented by anyone else at this point?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Xyplorer free edition - or get directory opus for a dollar from humble bundle if that offer is still on.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the default system font in Windows 10?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the default system font in Windows 10?

Segoe. (pedantically: Segoe UI, version 5.53, in various weights and sizes) Changing the system font requires registry hacks.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm actually trying to get a win7 installation to match the fonts and colors of 10.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm actually trying to get a win7 installation to match the fonts and colors of 10.

Oh. Yeah, they changed that font a bit since 7. As for colors I don't know if that's really doable with the way Aero works (unless you use a skin app).

Why not just use Windows 10?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can do a pretty close to full visual conversion with the right assets, if that's what you want.

http://mare-m.deviantart.com/art/Windows-10-Theme-for-Windows-7-500491733
http://sagorpirbd.deviantart.com/art/Windows-10-Themes-for-Win-7-Final-489257538

Read fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 23, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

dont be mean to me posted:

Oh. Yeah, they changed that font a bit since 7. As for colors I don't know if that's really doable with the way Aero works (unless you use a skin app).

Why not just use Windows 10?

Work computer

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gently caress windows storage spaces

motherfuck windows storage spaces

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does windows storage spaces have a mother?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Nate RFB posted:

Win10 updated last night and appeared to change at least something with regards to how the file explorer behaves, because now I can longer quite use Clover in the same fashion as I used to; basically I used to be able to just click on a taskbar pinned instance of Clover without having to bother with the explorer itself. Clover will still work but I have to launch it by going to explorer directly, and in fact launching Clover directly causes it to hang somehow.

I think it's been a while since Clover actually updated so what I'm wondering is whether there has been any sort of better, or at least something more reliably maintained/updated, tabbed file explorer solution implemented by anyone else at this point?

Listary is really good but may not be what you want?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The Lord Bude posted:

ReFS?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been using SnagIt for years; but the version I'm using is so far out of date at this point.

I'm debating paying for the upgrade; but before I do - is there a better option?
I really just want custom assigned hotkeys for different screen capture options, the ability to do minor edits on the picture after, and a smooth, unobtrusive interface (one of my qualms with SnagIt these days).

Anything better? I'm contemplating giving GreenShot a whirl; but their site isnt exactly inspirring confidence

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Walked posted:

I've been using SnagIt for years; but the version I'm using is so far out of date at this point.

I'm debating paying for the upgrade; but before I do - is there a better option?
I really just want custom assigned hotkeys for different screen capture options, the ability to do minor edits on the picture after, and a smooth, unobtrusive interface (one of my qualms with SnagIt these days).

Anything better? I'm contemplating giving GreenShot a whirl; but their site isnt exactly inspirring confidence

Give ShareX a go.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes, but no father.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
On Windows 10, whenever I press Windows + L to lock my computer and come back to it, my mouse stops having acceleration.

Normal:

After locking the PC and logging back into my account:

Happens reliably. I'm not unchecking that box.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What sort of monster actually turns on mouse acceleration?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
What kind of monster calls mouse acceleration enhanced precision?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

What sort of monster actually turns on mouse acceleration?
It's apparently on by default since Windows 7, so... that's a lot of monsters.

At least it's not the option where the mouse slows down over buttons, which I used to think was handy... maybe that was more of a nubbin thing.

RE: the actual issue, possibly a driver thing? I don't really have any tips.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

On Windows 10, whenever I press Windows + L to lock my computer and come back to it, my mouse stops having acceleration.

Do you have another computer with a user that is connected to the same Microsoft account? If so, enable it on both of them (or disable sync).

If not, perhaps you have some mouse software overriding your settings - you can check if that's the case by reviewing the startup processes in Task Manager. Bear in mind that simply disabling the software might result in a loss of specialized mouse functionality, so reconfiguring it is a better option if you can.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Read posted:

Do you have another computer with a user that is connected to the same Microsoft account? If so, enable it on both of them (or disable sync).

If not, perhaps you have some mouse software overriding your settings - you can check if that's the case by reviewing the startup processes in Task Manager. Bear in mind that simply disabling the software might result in a loss of specialized mouse functionality, so reconfiguring it is a better option if you can.

Well, I had sync settings off, but after I ended all the razer bullshit tasks it stopped happening. Thanks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

uvar posted:

It's apparently on by default since Windows 7, so... that's a lot of monsters.

Mouse acceleration has been on by default since at least Windows 95/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is it possible to set up Windows by imaging for home users like you would do in an enterprise environment? I know there is a program out there that will auto download necessary programs after a fresh install but I want to make my own image with the apps I want to deploy, even better if I can somehow store it on my NAS and install over the network like I would do with PCs at my old job. Seems like the way Windows 10 burns in the licensing it should be possible, I dunno probably always was.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Outlook 2010 on Exchange question about categories

Alice creates a calendar entry and gives it the red category 'TPS Report'

She is sharing her calendar with Bob - full details
Bob also has a similar category defined.

When Bob views the entry on Alice's calendar view, he can see the red 'TPS Report' category
When Bob views the entry on his own calendar view, there is no category assigned to this entry

Is that working as intended and if so, is there any workaround?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If I have a VM which no one remembers the local username and password to, and it's not on a domain, what's the 2016 approach to cracking the password and getting in there?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Apologies because I know this has been answered somewhere: Can I migrate my OS and all the files on my small 256GB SSD to a new 500GB SSD? I trust SA (a mistake) more than random googling where everyone wants me to pay $39.99 for their software.

-Corsair 200r Case
-W10 64-bit OS
-i7-6700k Skylake CPU
-Asus 1070 GPU
-16GB G.Skill Trident RAM
-Asus Z170 MOBO
-Corsair CX750W PSU

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 30, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Macrium Reflect Free is now your only friend.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches
Microsoft's update of Windows 10's photo viewer is one step forward and one back for me and I need an alternative.

Is there any alternative photo viewer which both lets one scroll prev/next with the mouse wheel, and if one opens an image from a search, scroll through the prev/next search results instead of the source folder of the open image?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I have a VM which no one remembers the local username and password to, and it's not on a domain, what's the 2016 approach to cracking the password and getting in there?

You might be able to mount the virtual hard drive in another version of Windows or in Linux, and then follow this: http://www.winability.com/how-to-erase-windows-login-password/

Now obviously if you do this, you will lose any data that was encrypted using the built in Windows encryption.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm still confused. Do I format the new SSD? Do I then create a clone of my old/current SSD onto the new SSD using this program?

edit: I'm just cloning my current SSD to the new one, then gonna set my bios to boot from the new SSD and hope for the best...

Now it says my new 500gb SSD is the same size as my current (250) SSD after the copy? I guess cause I cloned everything over? I can't format it either cause it only allows me to pick 223GB capacity? The gently caress...
http://imgur.com/QWp3OGE

My computer is vibrating. Send help.

I think I got it. Cycled the SSD (which I didn't know was a thing) and secure-erased it or something.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 30, 2016

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Windows 7? This used to be my go-to.

-Boot from any live CD that gives NTFS file access and navigate to system32 folder
-Rename magnify.exe to magnify.exe.old
-Copy cmd.exe to magnify.exe
-Start up the system as normal, use the on-screen magnifier
-SYSTEM-owned cmd runs and you can use net user to change password or create new local admin account

after that delete magnify.exe and replace it with magnify.exe.old

If you truly need to crack the password due to NTFS encryption, you'll need to use a different approach.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Also what is a good, simple, easy to use video trimmer for Windows? I want something as simple as Android apps are, like just open an MP4, select the start time and end time and press crop or whatever, then save. I don't want to install a giant suite of software/codecs if I can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Depends on what you consider easy to use I guess, but ffmpeg is my preferred tool.

code:
ffmpeg -i myMovie.mp4 -ss 00:07:22 -to 01:20:09 -c copy myMovieClip.mp4
Though with these settings, it will be possible in some cases to recover a few seconds of video before the first cut point by manually editing the mp4's editlist. The benefit though is this should always be relatively quick and very accurate cutting.

You can add slowdown but guarantee there is no extra data in the file by removing "-c copy".

Read fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 30, 2016