Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Adiabatic posted:

I do believe that villifying your opponents just creates more opponents, as relayed with the fat acceptance analogy. Do you agree?

Insofar as labeling all Trump voters as dyed in the wool racists, no. There are definitely people on the other side of the aisle that the Democratic party should reach out to - like cat interceptor said we need to appeal to "Ma and Pa Coalminer" - but at the same time I'm going to take a hardline "we don't negotiate with terrorists" stance with literal white supremacists, fascists, authoritarians and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Geoj posted:

Insofar as labeling all Trump voters as dyed in the wool racists, no. There are definitely people on the other side of the aisle that the Democratic party should reach out to - like cat interceptor said we need to appeal to "Ma and Pa Coalminer" - but at the same time I'm going to take a hardline "we don't negotiate with terrorists" stance with literal white supremacists, fascists, authoritarians and the like.

I agree with all of that. Glad we could see eye-to-eye :)

I gotta run but I'll get back to anybody who takes the effort to reply to me.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

See maybe it's just because most of my friends and family voted for Trump and I don't see that in them, but I think a vast majority of them are willing to engage given a good reason to. Currently what I get from a lot of facebook and a lot of my more liberal friends are ultimatums of the form "believe this way or you're branded as a nazi/bigot/etc." I don't believe 100% of the Democratic party's rhetoric and feel that they're off-base with some issues, but I fear speaking up about them because I'll be branded as a redneck yokel from Virginia that wants police to shoot black people.

With more and more ridiculous poo poo coming out of the weirdo fringe nationalist right comes more and more hatred from the left. It's like a positive feedback loop destined to diverge and I'm very concerned where that's headed.

Geoj posted:

Geoj probably said it better than me, but I'm not talking about people who vote for the "wrong person", I'm talking about people who go out and commit hate crimes. Who say "this person is less than human and those who support them are all traitors" and take that and believe that not only is it a good thing they do, but a moral obligation.
I know that saying saying back "gently caress you" and kicking their head in put's me almost down on their level, but I don't deny them their humanity, I don't attack their supporters or their families or their friends for being traitors, I just don't believe that if they want to start a fight I should try and educate them.
It doesn't matter who they want to start the fight with, If they choose to start a fight for a reason which at it's heart consists of "these people are not human" then I choose to end the fight. I'll happily punch a neo nazi skinhead for their actions and I'll happily punch any politician that supports Nauru if I get the opportunity, whether they're labour or liberal (Australian here, the players are different but the games the same).
Your actions speak louder than words and if those actions destroy the lives of others for the colour of their skin or choice of sexual partners or whatever then you are a loving monster and I will treat you as such. If your actions support a monster because you don't know better then I'll do everything I can to help you understand what you're choosing and why not supporting that monster will make your life and the lives of others better.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

fridge corn posted:

Hersheys tastes like sick

That's the butyric acid, it's literally the flavor of rotten milk and vomit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid posted:

Butyric acid is found in milk, especially goat, sheep and buffalo milk, butter, parmesan cheese, and as a product of anaerobic fermentation (including in the colon and as body odor). It is also found in milk chocolate produced by the Hershey process, or added to imitate the flavour of Hershey's chocolate. Butyric acid is present in, and is the main distinctive smell of, human vomit. It has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste similar to ether.

Ooo, the main smell of vomit, BO, and farts, that's what I want in my candy

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 23, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
oh jesus that was a lot of words and I didn't read most of them. That being said, there are a few ways this went wrong.
- telling everyone they're racists if they don't vote for Clinton (a snore worthy candidate if there ever was one, IMO, just more of the same biz as usual - and that comes from a guy who angrily voted for her, hoping to make the landslide against trump bigger. loving lot of good it did) doesn't work
- putting the most boring establishment politician up against a rabble rousing populist in a time of seriously increased income disparity and hopelessness at the bottom of the pay scale REALLY does not work (especially when she goes up there during a debate and says the economy has recovered - because it has for Wall St, and *average* income)
- facts vs your literal crazy maybe racist drunk uncle at christmas dinner doesn't work, nor do facts and logic work against Trump in a debate. These are, in fact, the same exact argument
- the poor bastards left behind by an increase in factory mechanization and offshoring don't give a gently caress that average income is back where it was before the real estate crash. If you smile at a debate and say average income has recovered, while it may have, 20k+80k averages to the same thing as 50k+50k and one of those cases is going to lose you half the vote
- 30 years of witch hunting tarnishes a candidate and maybe throwing out the other candidate because the party hacks wanted the "seasoned politician" in a populist political atmosphere was a big loving mistake

I had a lot of people who truly belonged in the basket of deplorables on my facebook a year and a half ago. I removed anyone who spewed bigotry, stupidity, conspiracy theories, etc and it seriously cut into the Trump camp on my facebook, but nowhere near eliminated it. After the election I asked for reasons from everyone who was left who voted for him, and though not everyone has responded yet, by far the #1 response was "Clinton is a corrupt self serving establishment politician and we need someone who can clean house in Washington". The message I agree with, what depresses me is that the messenger who has been sent is a cure worse than the disease. If we'd sent Bernie or Evan McMullin I would have been alright with it.

on that note, how are you all doing? I am about to disable my daily driver by swapping the exhaust manifold on it 70 miles from home the day before I have to drive it 200 miles to fly to the other side of the country for thanksgiving! :woop:

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 23, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seminal Flu posted:

So what's the story with literally a fish? There was a big hullabaloo about his visit to the US and big plans with the van. Then he got here, all of a sudden the van plans were scrapped, then he fell out of the forum entirely, when he used to post in an almost viggen-like fashion. Was there some kind of drama? Sure looks like some kind of drama.

He's here, under a different name (thanks to GBS name change thread). Just doesn't post as much.

Why he doesn't post as much isn't something I'm privy to.

The van plans got scrapped because he realized it was just too much to do in too little time, and he (wisely) cut his losses early.

So... put in a few applications today with a large national employment agency.

Less than 5 minutes later, my phone rings. It's that company, asking if I'm still interested. I wanted to laugh and say "take a look at how long ago I submitted the app", but bit my tongue.

Turns out it's a warehouse job for Nissan. :stare: Pay isn't great, but once hired perm, the pay goes up significantly. Fingers crossed.

For now though, got hired today as a driver helper for UPS, starting tomorrow. At least it's a W2 job, and it's 2 months of work.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Here's something hosed up: my dad got a bill for $1.3mil for my mothers 6 week stint in ICU and the three surgeries she had

They forgot to bill it to insurance but still how the gently caress can they justify that number

The first statement is generally before it gets submitted to insurance. I just got a statement from my ER visit last week for about $4000, but it also said "THIS IS NOT A BILL" and said they had not yet billed my insurance. But yeah.... that's nuts.

Serious question... if someone passes while in a hospital, what does the hospital do with the debt? Does it go against the person's estate like other debts? Or does it get written off? I know when my grandmother passed, there was no estate to speak of (all she owned was clothes and bedding), so in her case there were no assets to go after.

kastein posted:

on that note, how are you all doing? I am about to disable my daily driver by swapping the exhaust manifold on it 70 miles from home the day before I have to drive it 200 miles to fly to the other side of the country for thanksgiving! :woop:

Better. Still freaking out about how I'm going to pay rent for December (there's going to be a lot of begging and pleading from family, since I don't have anything of real value to pawn or sell, and my bank closed my bank account), but moral is way up now that I start a new job tomorrow.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 23, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, I was thinking of ordering a Quickjack for working on the cars but I'm wondering, is a temporary 2 post lift like a Danmar MaxJax a completely insane idea for my lovely garage?
http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp

I know it's not ideally wide enough for a nice shop, but the Subaru is about 10" further left than it need be. Am I insane for even considering a removable 2-post lift?

21' wide garage, the 911 in the photo is about 8-10" further right than it should be for maximizing space between cars.

e: To be clear, the Subaru wouldn't even necessarily need to be in the garage when something was on the hoist, more for just overnight.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 23, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

For now though, got hired today as a driver helper for UPS, starting tomorrow. At least it's a W2 job, and it's 2 months of work.

I did the driver helper thing in college. For me, as long as I got on a good route and the driver liked me, I did pretty well.

kastein posted:

Not bad, just trying to get through work until Thursday. A lot of my friends are coming back into town so I'm looking forward to seeing them this weekend.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

slidebite posted:

So, I was thinking of ordering a Quickjack for working on the cars but I'm wondering, is a temporary 2 post lift like a Danmar MaxJax a completely insane idea for my lovely garage?
http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp

I know it's not ideally wide enough for a nice shop, but the Subaru is about 10" further left than it need be. Am I insane for even considering a removable 2-post lift?

21' wide garage, the 911 in the photo is about 8-10" further right than it should be for maximizing space between cars.

e: To be clear, the Subaru wouldn't even necessarily need to be in the garage when something was on the hoist, more for just overnight.

I had MaxJax inside of a single car garage. Looks like you've got all the room in the world.

You'll have to see if you have atleast 4" of reinforced concrete though. Also hope you don't actually hit any of the rebar when drilling the holes. While the MaxJax is technically removable, its not exactly easy, and not particularly good on the default anchors.

I'd go with the Quickjack personally.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the insight. My buddy is an Engineer with LaFarge and they also coincidentally poured my house. He said he'd have records out the rear end for the concrete, depth of pour, PSI, ultimate strength, etc so I am confident if I go down the road of a maxjax with the slab as I'll run it by him first. I'd definitely run a metal detector for rebar before drilling for anchors.

The Quickjack was and might still be my first choice, but my biggest hesitation is if I need to do something major, like dropping the motor in the porch I'm not convinced I'd have enough height. The Maxjax would be ample obviously and more comfortable to be working with and the price really isn't a huge difference.

What are your thoughts with the anchors? Are the standard ones crappy?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Fascists are scum.

AI group project: 1974 Dodge Monaco.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yall have the most respectful political discourse I think I've seen anywhere, way to reinforce my view that AI is good people.

I'm officially done with one of the classes, and the other is a cakewalk. Bout time I got some stress unloaded. loving wind turbine project is done too, hopefully won't ever have a thing like that again until I'm designing something for real.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the insight. My buddy is an Engineer with LaFarge and they also coincidentally poured my house. He said he'd have records out the rear end for the concrete, depth of pour, PSI, ultimate strength, etc so I am confident if I go down the road of a maxjax with the slab as I'll run it by him first. I'd definitely run a metal detector for rebar before drilling for anchors.

The Quickjack was and might still be my first choice, but my biggest hesitation is if I need to do something major, like dropping the motor in the porch I'm not convinced I'd have enough height. The Maxjax would be ample obviously and more comfortable to be working with and the price really isn't a huge difference.

What are your thoughts with the anchors? Are the standard ones crappy?

Hitting rebar isn't the end of the world, you just need to buy an expensive drill bit and spend 20 times as long drilling the hole. I hit rebar once for one of my holes. You'll want to rent a hammer drill.

MaxJax only has two height settings. You'll not be able to get to the higher one with the door open like that. The lower setting is still pretty useful though. Might be enough space to drop a motor. The Quickjack will likely be faster to setup though. Park your car where you want it, put the pads under in the perfect spot, and press the button. MaxJax is a bit more hassle to pull in straight, equally between the posts, and also equally front to back, so that the car is all centered. The MaxJax will work on a 15A, 120V circuit, but you'll want to be careful to not turn it on and off rapidly, otherwise the inrush current will trip a breaker. As useful as the MaxJax was, I wasn't using it for oil changes or anything simple since the setup was a bit of effort. If I just needed to jack up one end of the car, I usually reached for the floor jack and stands first.

The standard anchors are serviceable. You drill the holes, clean the crap out of em, pound the anchors into the holes, then use mounting bolts with washers to set the anchors by pulling them up so that a sleeve on the bottom expands and wedges the anchor in place. They are one time use, you can't "uninstall" and reuse them. They are sensitive to the holes being drilled true, and clean. Sometimes the anchor won't set quite right, and will end up sticking up a bit out of the hole. I've seen reports that frequent removal of the posts can sometimes cause the anchors to loosen a bit. Probably nothing serious, but its still a mechanical device that has a 2000+ pound hunk of metal hanging over you. You don't want any doubts on how its working.

You also need to shim the posts (shims included) to level and square em up. You'd need keep track of what size shims, where, and how many if you were installing/removing the posts. 7 bolts per post if I recall correctly.

I installed mine, and left it installed. I bought a 4'x4'x2" sheet of foam at home depot and wrapped it around the "drivers side" post with bungie cords when I wasn't using it to protect my car door.

Garage journal might have suggestions about alternative anchors that you can use. Most likely something you insert into epoxy in the holes.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CharlesM posted:

AI group project: 1974 Dodge Monaco.

I'm in if we put a "This Machine Kills Fascists" sticker on it a la Woodie Guthrie's guitar.

Seriously fascists are where I draw a loving line. We can disagree on all kinds of political issues and have discourse about it but the instant you do things like question whether or not Jews/black people/whoever are people you are a trash person and a waste of air.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I'm in if we put a "This Machine Kills Fascists" sticker on it a la Woodie Guthrie's guitar.

Seriously fascists are where I draw a loving line. We can disagree on all kinds of political issues and have discourse about it but the instant you do things like question whether or not Jews/black people/whoever are people you are a trash person and a waste of air.

My curiosity was peaked, so I looked up what it would take to make one that says that earlier today. $42 for a full window banner sized sticker ain't bad. Now if only I had something a tad more agressive to put it on. :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

kastein posted:

For the past two days my heart's been acting funny with an irregular beat every so often. Traced it back to the Advair I take for asthma. I'm also out of my blood pressure med (which is a low dose anyway), so I think that's contributing some. Hoping to get my BP med tomorrow and get back to normal.

Right now it's freaky as poo poo, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TRUMP TALK

More than half of my known gay friends voted for Trump, some even campaigned for him. I don't get it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
slidebite, get the quick jack, I want to see if you can use them without horribly dying before I dish out for my own.

Rhyno posted:

TRUMP TALK

More than half of my known gay friends voted for Trump, some even campaigned for him. I don't get it.

He's pure camp.

The problem is that his running mate is also camp, but he prefers to use "concentration" as an adjective to describe it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

TRUMP TALK

Indiana.txt
This machine kills fascists is my favorite woody song.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

clam ache posted:

Indiana.txt
This machine kills fascists is my favorite woody song.

I have friends outside of this state!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

TRUMP TALK

I get why poor people voted Trump. This..... gently caress me, this is just plain outright supid.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I supported Trump lol

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

TRUMP TALK

Install Grindr and see how many profiles you have to swipe through before you come across "white guys only, just my preference!!!!!!!" or some variation thereof. It probably won't be very many. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

zundfolge posted:

Install Grindr and see how many profiles you have to swipe through before you come across "white guys only, just my preference!!!!!!!" or some variation thereof. It probably won't be very many. :v:

How is it racist to not be attracted to other/certain races? It doesn't mean you don't like them as people, or anything else.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I have friends outside of this state!

I just figured Indiana gays were backwards and a smidge white pridey. I mean it describes a big chunk of the state otherwise. But the last time I was there I had a good time. But the closer I got back to the border of Illinois it got worse. Then Illinois which :shrug:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

iwentdoodie posted:

How is it racist to not be attracted to other/certain races? It doesn't mean you don't like them as people, or anything else.

It's not racist in and of itself, your preference is your preference and that's cool, but it's the projection of, "non-whites, don't talk to me, I'm not interested," inside of the short bio on a hookup app that starts getting into weird territory.
Especially since everyone else just wouldn't message or swipe for the people who don't fit their own preferences.

As an aside, writing about sensitive topics like racism and sexism the past few months has really shown me the bad habit I have of writing in the second person while explaining things. Reading it back, it sometimes sounds accusatory, as if I am sat that the person who I am talking to is doing whatever it is that I happen to be talking about.
I really have to try to write in either collective first person or third person to combat that odd quirk of English, where we don't really have a gender neutral, singular, third person pronoun in common parlance. We do definitely have one in the English language, and it is "one", but using it in a sentence makes everyone immediately sound like a condescending tool. Or at least what I imagine a British headmistress of a Catholic school in 1927 sounded like :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Wife flew out tonight to visit family for a couple weeks over the holidays.

Already loving bored.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

iwentdoodie posted:

Wife flew out tonight to visit family for a couple weeks over the holidays.

Already loving bored.

Volunteer at the animal shelter.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Come to Nebraska

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CharlesM posted:

Volunteer at the animal shelter.

Already do that. :( Cry every loving time, but I do it.

So instead I'm loving up my sleep pattern and watching sopranos.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Writing off an entire group of people as unattractive due to the color of their skin is pretty racist. Black, asian, hispanic, caucasian and middle eastern are all humongus blocks of people, all of whom look different. Gorgeous people exist the world over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Writing off an entire group of peopleas unattractive due to the color of their skin is definately kinda racist. Black, asian, hispanic, caucasian and middle eastern are all humongus blocks of people, all of whom look different. Gorgeous people exist the world over.

I notice how you fail to say anything about white people being gorgeous you RACIST.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I notice how you fail to say anything about white people being gorgeous you RACIST.

Caucasian. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Writing off an entire group of people as unattractive due to the color of their skin is pretty racist. Black, asian, hispanic, caucasian and middle eastern are all humongus blocks of people, all of whom look different. Gorgeous people exist the world over.

And some people just aren't attracted, whether because of conditioning or who knows what.

Personally I don't get it, but I do know quite a few people (of multiple races) who just aren't attracted to other races for whatever reason.

My favorite is still a friend of mine telling a guy she won't date light skinned black dudes while dating a white guy. I don't get it, but it is what it is.

Edit: also I will never get caucasian = all white people when it's literally a region that has a ton of different 'races.' Our ancestors were loving dumb.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I kind of wish we'd move away from the term Caucasian as it was invented along with the terms Mongoloid and Negroid as part of a justification for racism. I don't think most people know that though. Anyways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Look, I'm not shaming you for your Asian penis fetish, I'm just calling out your casual racism against white people.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CharlesM posted:

I kind of wish we'd move away from the term Caucasian as it was invented along with the terms Mongoloid and Negroid as part of a justification for racism. I don't think most people know that though. Anyways.

It's even better when you hear supposed enlightened people use the terms and defend them.

Oh, left wing skeptics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CharlesM posted:

Mongoloid

That's a word I havent heard since I was in high school. And here it wasnt used to refer to a race but as an insult that someone had Down's Syndrome aka incredibly stupid. I honestly have never heard it used in reference to a race before. I've also never heard the term Negroid either.

Huh. Well I learnt something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's a word I havent heard since I was in high school. And here it wasnt used to refer to a race but as an insult that someone had Down's Syndrome aka incredibly stupid. I honestly have never heard it used in reference to a race before. I've also never heard the term Negroid either.

Huh. Well I learnt something.

Yeah, the origins are basically phrenology type stuff justifying certain "races" being superior. Down syndrome was called Mongolian idiocy.

Anyways I didn't mean to open a can of worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Well downs people do have hosed up slanty eyes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread