Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep-Goats posted:

Suppose one combatant and two other combatants purposefully lost a battle (and didn't even attempt to disguise it) because losing those battles would result in their next match being against an easier opponent than if they won.

You are facing Krillin who you can easily beat but your next opponent is Vegeta if you win. If you lose then Vegeta has to fight Goku. Sure you are going to face Buu or Goku in the finals but 2nd place is better than 5th.

Its about letting your toughest matches eliminate each other and getting to save your secret moves for the grand finals

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Why is this woman rolling a sex toy on her face?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Haier posted:

INCOMING HAIERESQUE TOPIC!

Girl came over last night. She had this in her backpack. The balls move. She said it was a face massager she bought on Taobao. I laughed and laughed. I said it was advertised as that, but no way it was a real face massager. She got angry and showed me how to use it on her face and shoulders. I had to take a photo. Things happened, and I snuck it into bed and then into her. She got angry and immediately called me an idiot and that it is NOT for that purpose. She got up and washed it with soap and set it next to my dishes, while continuing to call me names for how idiotic I was for thinking it was anything more than a massager.

Am I wrong?

Hahaha! My wife has a similar shaped face massager imagine my drat disappointment when I found what it was really for. I've never tried to stick it up anywhere though.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
Oh that makes sense it would be like if Naruto lost to sakura just sasukei could beat her up.

So koshi sees this blant match fixing and bans them from competing.

this would leave hinata standing around feeling useless. while gara plans his revenge

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dicky mouse posted:

Oh that makes sense it would be like if Naruto lost to sakura just sasukei could beat her up.

So koshi sees this blant match fixing and bans them from competing.

this would leave hinata standing around feeling useless. while gara plans his revenge

exactly, and sasuke never saw his new rasengan because he lost on purpose

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LMBO at the pseudoscience in this. Solar panel? Generating micro currents? I can see how it will work to help massage the lymph fluid out, but LOL at the rest o this mess.

She also said the same thing, and that I should Google it. Oh well. Still probably just opened her eyes about other uses for her space dildo. If only it could also be used for vaping.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

so when do we get a 3 way, or it was a lady boy story?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
that's not cheating that's unfair to ban people for that

they should set up the tournaments better if they don't want people to take advantage of the rules

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKZzGiS5hv0

Freakonomics did a thing on cheating in Sumo wrestling that sounds kind of similar.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dicky mouse posted:

so when do we get a 3 way, or it was a lady boy story?

Be the change you want to see/read

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Andorra posted:

A couple Olympics ago China and two other countries purposefully lost a badminton match (and didn't even attempt to disguise it) because losing those matches would result in their next match being against an easier opponent than if they won, so everyone involved got banned. I've never seen a crowd booing badminton before.

It's pretty funny they didn't think to try to make it convincing. I mean, that's the way it would have worked in China, right? Whenever someone sees someone cheating or otherwise breaking the rules, they just look the other way?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

JaucheCharly posted:

Be the change you want to see/read

I am a fat goon who lives in the arm pitt of California.

I don't think wechat will work.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Dicky mouse posted:

I turned on People Nearby when I was in rural Ontario and there were tons. Give it a go.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dicky mouse posted:

u won't know unless u try

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Strangely, there seems to be a lot of Russians on wechat in SPB even though most of them use whatsapp.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nickmeister posted:

It's pretty funny they didn't think to try to make it convincing. I mean, that's the way it would have worked in China, right? Whenever someone sees someone cheating or otherwise breaking the rules, they just look the other way?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women's_doubles

quote:

The decision was highly debated; some argued that while the teams have not been performing their best effort to win the game at hand, they had been in fact doing their best to win the tournament, and that conserving resources in early matches is a common practice in every competitive sport.

lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...guage-and-food/

quote:

Two young giant-panda twins born in the United States have returned home to China, but are struggling to adapt to the language and food, according to Chinese state media.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo it's like an onion article lol

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's not cheating that's unfair to ban people for that

they should set up the tournaments better if they don't want people to take advantage of the rules

LOL, you would do well inside China.

Think of it like this in basketball terms, you are an A grade team but you intentionally lose your matches during grading for the season so you end up in the B league where you would crush everyone instead of getting 3rd or 4th. You then get caught during grading or during the season because you are so blatant about it.

The Chinese teams were especially bad. Badminton is a very fast sport and even an amateur has a pretty good idea what high level play is and would have spotted it let alone professional referees and other players. It's like faking injuries in soccer to get an advantage, it was the equivalent of falling over and crying about being hurt when no one touched you and the entire team is doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMqmKm6vsd0

Because they are Chinese even after being caught and given a warning they continued to tank the game.

How high level Badminton really plays like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHku52VACf0

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 23, 2016

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Because they are Chinese even after being caught and given a warning they continued to tank the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHku52VACf0

"wow these foreigners are so stupid, we cheated and they only gave us a stupid warning, we are so smart!"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

oohhboy posted:

The Chinese teams were especially bad.

when I lived in Korea, I met a girl who had been on the Chinese olympic badminton team in some capacity (this is before the 2012 olympics). She was like 6'2 and really hot. That's my story, hope you liked it.

Also, Haier, unless it vibrated, I am going to have to go with "face massager" being a legitimate answer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i expected it to be bad but loving lol

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2016-11/22/content_27455778.htm

quote:

A housing loan application submitted by a man in Zhengzhou, Henan province was recently rejected - a not altogether unusual occurence.
However, what sets this man's case apart is the reason his loan was denied: because Wu Jianping has no arms, creditors claimed they could not give him a loan since he was unable to be fingerprinted.

The 25-year-old Wu lost both his arms after receiving a severe electric shock at the age of 5. He manages to write his signature by holding a pen in his mouth. However, he was rejected by several banks when applying for a loan in Zhengzhou on Nov 14 because he could not provide fingerprints.

Bank employees argued that without fingerprint, a mere signature would not be legally binding.

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 23, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

legally binding in china means what exactly?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boiled Water posted:

:captainpop:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Boiled Water posted:

That's the Chinese version of Legally Blonde.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oohhboy posted:

The Chinese teams were especially bad. Badminton is a very fast sport and even an amateur has a pretty good idea what high level play is and would have spotted it let alone professional referees and other players. It's like faking injuries in soccer to get an advantage, it was the equivalent of falling over and crying about being hurt when no one touched you and the entire team is doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMqmKm6vsd0

Goddamn. I don't know what I was expecting for "deliberately losing at badminton" but it wasn't that.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Boiled Water posted:

hosed up feet for the rest of your life

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Chinese badminton players deserved to be banned but the match system was prone to abuse.

that's my gripe with professional team sports like fouling on purpose in basketball or stalling the clock in soccer.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

china is bad, imo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Chinese badminton players deserved to be banned but the match system was prone to abuse.

that's my gripe with professional team sports like fouling on purpose in basketball or stalling the clock in soccer.

Caberham is right the system was prone to abuse, it's just that the teams did it with zero nuance or subtlety. At all. Period.

It would be like instead of stalling in soccer by simply passing the ball around, you went to the corner of the field and made a semi circle around the end line and had one player lay on top of the ball inside the semi circle for 90 minutes

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

"wow these foreigners are so stupid, we cheated and they only gave us a stupid warning, we are so smart!"

also, lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

Caberham is right the system was prone to abuse, it's just that the teams did it with zero nuance or subtlety. At all. Period.

It would be like instead of stalling in soccer by simply passing the ball around, you went to the corner of the field and made a semi circle around the end line and had one player lay on top of the ball inside the semi circle for 90 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9aqY629JY

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
maybe Roger Goodell will suspend Tom Brady next time he just takes a knee to run out the clock

it's abusing a loophole in the rules

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
only one mainlander has been drafted into the nhl and he's currently in the farm league.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

The Korean girls are doing their best to suck, but the Chinese team is just better at being bad. Impressive really.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the problems with all these examples is that teams are tryin to win in the games. You don't dance around in the corner hoping to lose. You'd just let teams score as many goals as they want. Stalling or fouling a bad player or whatever is strategy. Straight up throwing games is pretty reprehensible.

It's like the South Park episode where all the kids playing baseball are actively trying to lose because they hate playing and randy keeps getting arrested

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the soccer example it wouldn't be like stalling it would be like turning around and scoring a goal into your own net, only to have the other team kick off and turn around and score a goal into their own net. Then trying to stall and then score a goal into your own net in the last minute to lose.

That's what South Korea and China were doing, just in badminton, lol

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

This is probably the closest parallel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_AFF_Championship#Controversy

And this is probably the funniest similar story (and is literally what TGA just described): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_qualification)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

This is probably the closest parallel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_AFF_Championship#Controversy

And this is probably the funniest similar story (and is literally what TGA just described): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_qualification)

If you thought "wow I'd love to see highlights of that to some bad music" boy do I have a treat for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njmagm8Gha0

Even then these teams look like they are kind of trying for a little bit

• Locked thread