Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In episode 4 of Telltale's Batman, you can tell a little kid who knocked a drone out of the air that he "will always be the kid that saved Batman". It's especially neat as Batman switches off his voice modulator for interactions with the kid, so he doesn't sound threatening. :3:

Actually that reminds me of Crane from Dying Light. He's incredibly short tempered with quest givers and adult NPCs, all but calling them, insufferable wankers to their face, but if he's talking to a kid his voice becomes softer, he drops to one knee while talking to them, and rather than vague "yeah maybe I'll think about possibly doing that" he always promises to do what the kid is asking. It's a small thing but adds an absolute ton to the character's personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

graybook posted:

I did get slightly confused while still thinking in old game mechanic terms. I had a Pokemon that knew Rock Smash. I saw rocks. Inspecting them showed that they could be smashed by an appropriate Pokemon. The inability to smash these rocks, given that I had a Pokemon with Rock Smash on its movelist, did not seem to make sense to me.

Been a while, but I think you also need a specific badge to be able to use that outside of battle.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mazerunner posted:

what

who

this is one of the best improvements to the series ever and is something like everyone has been clamoring for since forever

Pokemon is one of those series that always gets a little bit better with each game for me.

Couldn't delete HM moves in the first game? Well here's a guy that can do that.
Want to relearn moves you deleted without having to raise a brand new pokemon? Well we have a guy for that too.
Want to actually use your tms instead of hoarding them like a goblin? Now you can use them forever.
Want to change your EV's so you can use your pokemon online? Now you can do that too.

Only thing that I find bad about pokemon, is that it's been getting really easy lately. However, some of these Totem pokemon have been just as challenging (or even more so) than gym leaders.
Actually had a pretty drawn out battle with the second totem pokemon who summoned a pokemon that could use heal pulse.
The fourth one I did last night actually got down to the wire - it was good against my starter who is always my strongest, and my bird and bug bus couldn't keep his hp down so we had to stall and wait for his pp to run out, and then I threw diglett at him to lower his speed (which was boosted at the start of the battle) times to make my team faster, was pretty much down to my starter who managed to finish him off with an echo voice while he was charging his solar blade - really looking forward to the next totem battle after that one.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Nov 22, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Heal Pulse was annoying. I didn't let myself leave the area afterwards until I got a Feebas, but I managed it, which leads me to another point. Some folks in the world ask you to catch a pokemon, such as Feebas, and show it to them from your Pokedex, and you get, like, a cash reward for it. This also gets you spending a little more time in an area, likely catching even more things aside from what you were there for in the first place.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Watching the buildings fold and unfold in Total Annihilation.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
Getting rid of HMs in Sun/Moon was such a great thing and I wish they'd done it sooner. Not having to plan your team around making sure you had someone that can learn those moves is fantastic, especially since none of them but maybe Surf was any good.

Another little thing that owns: the computer no longer has withdraw/deposit/organize sub menus because they finally figured out that the touch screen can be used for more practical things than shining badges or mixing muffins or whatever. You can drag and drop pokemon between boxes and your team and it's all very easy and intuitive. I know you can technically changes the default function in Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby to Organize but not right away, and it didn't feel as easy as it does in Sun/Moon.

And you can now usually tell when an NPC is a trainer who will fight you versus someone that spouts fluff text. Avoiding unwanted battles when you're just trying to get to a pokemon centre or whatever is nice.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Applewhite posted:

This but any building animation in any RTS. I really enjoy watching the little animations of robots or whatever putting stuff together.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ShootaBoy posted:

This but any building animation in any RTS. I really enjoy watching the little animations of robots or whatever putting stuff together.

One of the cool things about Civ 6 is your districts or wonders have different building stages. A whole bunch of em. And you can watch it get closer and closer to completion and it's nice. Then, after a wonder gets built, it plays an animation of the whole thing being built from scratch and tells you a Dilbert joke.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Applewhite posted:

The solar power plants folding up when shot at to avoid the solar panels being damaged was one of the coolest little touches in a game full of cool stuff

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Icedude posted:

The solar power plants folding up when shot at to avoid the solar panels being damaged was one of the coolest little touches in a game full of cool stuff

And it also actually worked. It didn't do much, mind you, but damage does get reduced a bit.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm charmed by the way your pilot enters their Titan in Titanfall 2. Nothing like calling it down, doing some grunt work for the four seconds it takes to drop, then running to the drop point just as it lands so you can jump into its arms and become a giant war machine. Bonus points if you call it, entice another Titan with your squishy pilot body, then lead the greedy Titan into the drop zone for a clean kill shot from the heavens.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

scarycave posted:

Want to change your EV's so you can use your pokemon online? Now you can do that too.

They took super training out though, now you have to rely on their lovely Festival Plaza things (which you can only use once a day) and the old "fight hundreds of one specific pokemon" method. So online is once again going to be the exclusive province of crazy Smogon nerds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is Wonder Trade still in?
Does it do anything to help prevent trading a Golduck for another lovely Caterpie?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

dordreff posted:

They took super training out though, now you have to rely on their lovely Festival Plaza things (which you can only use once a day) and the old "fight hundreds of one specific pokemon" method. So online is once again going to be the exclusive province of crazy Smogon nerds.

enh, the bigger loss is the horde events. With pokerus, a power item maybe and another mon that knew sweet scent + had a multihit move (ie. Venasaur w/ earthquake) you could trigger a horde battle and get like 100 evs at once. It was way faster.

Inzombiac posted:

Is Wonder Trade still in?
Does it do anything to help prevent trading a Golduck for another lovely Caterpie?

it's still in

but no that's the whole point of wondertrade. Probably you get poo poo. Maybe you get something nice. Maybe you put in something nice and make someone's day. Probably you put in something crap and should feel bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dordreff posted:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can level up EVs in one of the island things too, can't you?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

enh, the bigger loss is the horde events. With pokerus, a power item maybe and another mon that knew sweet scent + had a multihit move (ie. Venasaur w/ earthquake) you could trigger a horde battle and get like 100 evs at once. It was way faster.

it's still in

but no that's the whole point of wondertrade. Probably you get poo poo. Maybe you get something nice. Maybe you put in something nice and make someone's day. Probably you put in something crap and should feel bad.

For me, getting something good via wondertrade was a nice bonus. I liked just packaging up something decent, like pikachus or starters I'd bred or stuff like that and tossing them up there and hoping some kid somewhere got it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when games recognise when they made a challenge ludicrously hard and therefore make it completely optional. In Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit each area is unlocked by getting at least one card of three (Daytime, clear out 25/100 pests, the other two are for 50/100 and all of them)and one valve (Destroy three fiendish devices at night, a valve for each one) for each Arena level. For unlocking the second area, Wallersey, you need a card from the Back Gardens and a valve from the Churchyard, the next area required a card and valve from the third Arena, etc except the final one. To unlock Tottington Hall, you need 60 cards (Out of ~164 - also obtained doing sidequests and exploring) and you only need a Valve from the Factory and Farm. This is a godsend because you don't have to go near those areas in the day if you don't want to - the Farm is mildly annoying but with the correct route not so bad to get a couple of cards in (Although 3 is difficult) but the Factory is obnoxious. The main objectives that you defend are really far away from each other and the enemy spawns so hard to predict that surviving is hard enough (If you run out of time it tallies what you did get, if an objective is destroyed you get nothing).

Thank god that task is optional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when games recognise when they made a challenge ludicrously hard and therefore make it completely optional. In Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit each area is unlocked by getting at least one card of three (Daytime, clear out 25/100 pests, the other two are for 50/100 and all of them)and one valve (Destroy three fiendish devices at night, a valve for each one) for each Arena level. For unlocking the second area, Wallersey, you need a card from the Back Gardens and a valve from the Churchyard, the next area required a card and valve from the third Arena, etc except the final one. To unlock Tottington Hall, you need 60 cards (Out of ~164 - also obtained doing sidequests and exploring) and you only need a Valve from the Factory and Farm. This is a godsend because you don't have to go near those areas in the day if you don't want to - the Farm is mildly annoying but with the correct route not so bad to get a couple of cards in (Although 3 is difficult) but the Factory is obnoxious. The main objectives that you defend are really far away from each other and the enemy spawns so hard to predict that surviving is hard enough (If you run out of time it tallies what you did get, if an objective is destroyed you get nothing).

Thank god that task is optional.

I'm not gonna lie until I googled it I thought this was one of those Friends-style jokes.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can level up EVs in one of the island things too, can't you?

Apparently one of the Poke-Pelago islands lets you do it, yeah. Though it takes minimum 15 hours per pokemon to get max EVs in one stat.
Super Training was the best, though, not just because it was an easy and clear way for everyone to engage with a specific mechanic, but because it was another way of engaging with your pokemon, and represented training beyond just "go gently caress up some poor animal". More ways of playing with my pokemon pals is always better.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Somebody in the Pokemon thread said that they buffed Macho Brace, so the ol' manual approach with SOS battles might not be that dreadful.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not gonna lie until I googled it I thought this was one of those Friends-style jokes.

BioEnchanted is working hard on getting another avatar change. Shine on you crazy diamond :tipshat:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Nov 22, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just like old games. I'm playing plenty of current ones, sometimes you just want something a little more... unusual. Although I could probably make one up and noone would be any the wiser. Honestly, if MooninBiscuit and SuperGraffiti hadn't visited it in their PS2 Bargain Bin thread, would anyone have believed that Dog's Life existed before my LP?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mazerunner posted:

it's still in

Wonder trading was one of the most fun parts of Y for me. Usually you'd get crap, sure, but sometimes I'd get an almost-perfect product of someone's attempts at breeding, or a Pokemon I woulsn't have been able to get otherwise.

...or a Dugtrio in a Master Ball. I got several of those, and I'm still not certain as to why. Wonderlockes, maybe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I just like old games. I'm playing plenty of current ones, sometimes you just want something a little more... unusual. Although I could probably make one up and noone would be any the wiser. Honestly, if MooninBiscuit and SuperGraffiti hadn't visited it in their PS2 Bargain Bin thread, would anyone have believed that Dog's Life existed before my LP?

Nothing wrong with liking old games, it is just the way you described it totally made me go "Nah, that can't be... that's not..."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cleretic posted:

Wonder trading was one of the most fun parts of Y for me. Usually you'd get crap, sure, but sometimes I'd get an almost-perfect product of someone's attempts at breeding, or a Pokemon I woulsn't have been able to get otherwise.

...or a Dugtrio in a Master Ball. I got several of those, and I'm still not certain as to why. Wonderlockes, maybe?

I just wish you'd get something back from a comparable level. Yeah okay I sent away my level 40 Nidoking but I got back a 35 Rapidash, hooray!
It would help people who play the game later than most (me) from getting something I can't use because I don't have a high enough badge.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm Planet Coaster (basically the newest Rollercoaster Tycoon), you can expand the width of the paths you place. This is not only cool because you can delineate a main path of which thinner paths branch off, there's a mechanical positive for it: the game simulates what happens when too many people are on too thin a path: a logjam where people don't move as fast simply because they can't.

They even animate the awkward shuffle-walk people naturally do when they are in a horde of people that aren't all going the same direction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Yes because I remember it coming out and seeing it on bargin bins :colbert:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Little thing about Dark Souls 3 that was absorbed by osmosis from Bloodborne: In Dark Souls 1 and 2, you can't sprint while you're locked onto something. There's not much reason you'd want to but if you're facing human sized opponents it would be a huge help getting around to their backside. In Bloodborne, and later 3, you can!

You can do this in all the souls games but Dark Souls has it so pressing down the dodge button makes you roll if you're going to the side or backwards (then youll start running if you hold it) where DS2 and DS3 changed rolling to only happen on button release. I don't remember if bloodborne dodged on press or release but for that game press would definitely be the preferable option.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Interesting! I wonder why they changed that, maybe it's more intuitive with the way it is now.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's definitely more intuitive now but it also fucks with your timing going back and forth from DS1, I kept rolling too early or rolling when I meant to sprint, and my boyfriend had the opposite problem of always dodging late because he didn't realize it was on button release so he spent hours trying to figure out how to fix the controller lag lol

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Then, after a wonder gets built, it plays an animation of the whole thing being built from scratch and tells you a Dilbert joke.
It pleases me very much that among the quotes the game reads you when you research a new tech, there's not just one but two quotes from Terry Pratchett. Douglas Adams too, but that's not new.

Also that the quotes are read by Sean Bean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ShootaBoy posted:

Dawn of War, Imperial Techpriests unpacking the Imperial Guard prefab command centers that get airlifted into the FOB.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In RPGs there's usually strictly defined paths to the point where there's only one way from point A to B. Pokémon Sun is no exception. But something it does that I've never seen before is actually joke about it when you're talking to someone at point A and then see them at point B without running into them on the only path between them. "Oh, we must have missed each other somehow."

...The downside is I'm going to be noticing this in games forever now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dawn of War, Imperial Techpriests unpacking the Imperial Guard prefab command centers that get airlifted into the FOB.

Ahh, a challenge worthy of my skill!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

food court bailiff posted:

In RPGs there's usually strictly defined paths to the point where there's only one way from point A to B. Pokémon Sun is no exception. But something it does that I've never seen before is actually joke about it when you're talking to someone at point A and then see them at point B without running into them on the only path between them. "Oh, we must have missed each other somehow."

...The downside is I'm going to be noticing this in games forever now.

In Bethesda games, the NPC will actually walk from point A to B, and true to Bethesda games, sometimes they just don't get there because they stopped to be mauled by a bear or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fallout 3 was great for this because you can trek across the entire wasteland with your dad as he runs along his pre-planned path from the place where you find him to Rivet City. He is completely unable to die because all main-plot-important characters are, so he will just eat rockets, bullets, nukes and sledgehammers to the face all day while you trundle along behind him.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gollom posted:

Another little thing that owns: the computer no longer has withdraw/deposit/organize sub menus because they finally figured out that the touch screen can be used for more practical things than shining badges or mixing muffins or whatever. You can drag and drop pokemon between boxes and your team and it's all very easy and intuitive. I know you can technically changes the default function in Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby to Organize but not right away, and it didn't feel as easy as it does in Sun/Moon.
And it only took them 10 years, "7" games and 4 generations!
Seriously, the Pokemon games are the loving slowest mechanically/UI progressing games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Strife posted:

In Bethesda games, the NPC will actually walk from point A to B, and true to Bethesda games, sometimes they just don't get there because they stopped to be mauled by a bear or something.

I think the most impressive example of that I've seen was in Skyrim. After the first dragon attack, the head of the guard in Whiterun will comment that she'll send additional forces to the small village you passed through to keep it safe. In most other games, that would just be an insignificant aside that both the game and the player would immediately forget about. But here if you follow the head guard outside right afterwards, you'll actually see her walk up to one of her soldiers, tell him to head over to the village, and he will indeed do the whole trek over there and then permanently stay there.

It can be pretty handy, too. I think at one point I had a (probably randomly generated quest) to covertly assassinate a dude, and I happened to run into him in the middle of nowhere on the road between two cities. Easiest kill ever.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

dordreff posted:

Yeah. That's a big set back imo. My starter has become more or less Delphox but water/fairy so it's attack stat is useless and my edgy werewolf is a pure physical attacker/counterer that doesn't need special attack.
The reset bags were a really great thing in X,Y,remakes because you could more or less build a pokemon up the way you want too without having to start from scratch.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Nov 23, 2016

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Strife posted:

I really like that about Elder Scrolls games. The immortal elf rear end in a top hat who was vitally important to your quest chain, disappearing into the horizon, locked in eternal battle with an equally immortal horse. It really makes the fantasy setting feel more magical. Not like bullshit video game tabletop magic where it's just science with the serial numbers filed off, with "wizards" and their peer reviews and academic grants and universities and diagrammes of the magic atom. No. There's just a horse and an elf and they hate each other and you'll never know why and you can't do poo poo about it with all your loving character sheets and mana pools and novelty dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They also set it up so that quest-specific NPCs don't just evaporate once you're done with them, they either get scripted to go somewhere else or get released to the whims of the general AI. I remember once meeting a guy in a field to deliver a stolen horse or something, only after he gave me my reward and rode off with his prize he was immediately attacked by something and knocked to the ground. For some reason he ran away on foot rather than get back on, so I was able to follow him for several minutes across the world, watching respectfully from a distance as he got chased and knocked down by one lion after another. He was unkillable, so as soon as he was downed the animals would lose interest in him, but he'd get up before they wandered out of range and they'd turn right around and knock him down again. I only lost track of him because one of them went after me instead so for all I know he's still out there, still running from the lions. Serves him right for paying me to steal that horse for him.