Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Does the Dishonored: Definitive Version have all the DLC included as well?

It's sad that names for this type of thing are so bad you have to ask that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

DrManiac posted:

It's sad that names for this type of thing are so bad you have to ask that.

It's really quite confusing seriously.

Like these days, Deluxe editions are just cosmetic stuff. Look at Battlefront or Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2.

Remastered games call themselves different thigns all the time: Deathnative edition, definitive edition, warmaster edition, remastered edition.

Even current gen stuff gets re-released as a GOTY edition or Complete edition.

Sometimes Gold Edition is with the DLC stuff, like For Honor or South Park Stick of Truth.

Dark Souls 3 Deluxe Edition actually does have the season pass.

Then COD IW calls their Legacy edition for the MWR edition, or Digital Deluxe for MWR and season pass.

But in the end, we need to remember, it's never worth buying any other edition. Grab the standard edition on release/sale, buy the season pass after it's gone on sale, or it's proven that the DLC is worth it (Like the witcher 3)

If you look for the word Edition, there are 288 matches for PS4 alone.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Ineffiable posted:

It's really quite confusing seriously.

Like these days, Deluxe editions are just cosmetic stuff. Look at Battlefront or Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2.

Remastered games call themselves different thigns all the time: Deathnative edition, definitive edition, warmaster edition, remastered edition.

Even current gen stuff gets re-released as a GOTY edition or Complete edition.

Sometimes Gold Edition is with the DLC stuff, like For Honor or South Park Stick of Truth.

Dark Souls 3 Deluxe Edition actually does have the season pass.

Then COD IW calls their Legacy edition for the MWR edition, or Digital Deluxe for MWR and season pass.

But in the end, we need to remember, it's never worth buying any other edition. Grab the standard edition on release/sale, buy the season pass after it's gone on sale, or it's proven that the DLC is worth it (Like the witcher 3)

If you look for the word Edition, there are 288 matches for PS4 alone.

The Just Cause 3 XL edition has all DLC and is currently on sale. The Season Pass is not on sale and thereby more expensive.

Lesson: Don't buy until everything is released.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's the difference between the Witcher 3 and Witcher 3 Complete?

I've got a small kid so the base version will last me half a year, wondering how the quality is overall?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Those of you asking which AC game to buy, to drive the point even further home, AC Syndicate just got PS Pro support via a patch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The correct answer is none of them

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The correct answer is none of them

quoting for truth

also pretty surprised how good the ps4 version of bf1 is

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hadji murad posted:

I've got a small kid so the base version will last me half a year, wondering how the quality is overall?

Witcher 3 is the best RPG made in the past decade, and probably the best WRPG ever made in terms of storytelling, characters, and the scope of its world. Its combat is pretty decent, and it has a lot of elements that make it fun, like hunting monsters requires you to research their weaknesses, and overall the game is just damned incredible.

Play it, love it. I had nothing else t do and played it for basically two straight months and I still couldn't do everything there is to do.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

quoting for truth

also pretty surprised how good the ps4 version of bf1 is

Bf1 is my favorite battlefield so far going back to 1942. It's really, really good and runs great on the Pro :discourse:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Neptunia will do nothing but irritate you. You will have the same reaction as I had:

Start of the game: the gently caress am I looking at, what is happening, why did I buy this
Two hours in: Oh! I get it, it's kind of like satire, everything is about the games industry and games culture and...okay, cool, I get it.
three hours in: And y'know, the gameplay isn't even terrible either, I kind of like...
Ten hours in: This is the stupidest loving thing I have ever subjected myself to. Why am I playing this? How long have I been playing this why did I spend so much time
Twelve hours in: *at this point the disc has been thrown into the laundry basket and the box is burning in a coffee can.*

It's stupid, and it's so middlingly fun that there's no gameplay incentive to play. You would be wasting any amount of money you spend on it.

how the hell did you get 12 hours into a game you very clearly hated

like, that game is pretty upfront about being anime as hell

Also, if you're mentioning a disc, you either really really hated V2 somehow, or you played the PS3-era IF Neps, which are, at best, mediocre (Victory) and, at worst, an abysmal experience beyond any measurable scope (Neptunia 1)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Captain Yossarian posted:

Bf1 is my favorite battlefield so far going back to 1942. It's really, really good and runs great on the Pro :discourse:

ran it on both the pro and my launch PS4

runs great

also its the best bf i've played since Vietnam

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Takoluka posted:

how the hell did you get 12 hours into a game you very clearly hated

like, that game is pretty upfront about being anime as hell

Also, if you're mentioning a disc, you either really really hated V2 somehow, or you played the PS3-era IF Neps, which are, at best, mediocre (Victory) and, at worst, an abysmal experience beyond any measurable scope (Neptunia 1)
At this point the next extremely anime game should be called Sunk Cost Fallacy: Hyper Fates Z Crisis Story

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

lol the trailer for Darksiders HD on the store is literally just the pre-rendered intro sequence and shows you nothing of how the game looks, bets are on 15 fps like the PS4 port of 2.

I was thinking about getting it then read that it's 30fps. how the gently caress is a generation-old port called the "definitive" edition when it can't loving run at 60fps.

Same thing for Dishonored, which I'd rather play on my PC. How does it still run at just 30fps, jesus bethsesda please ask the DOOM guys how to get your games running adequately.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was thinking about getting it then read that it's 30fps. how the gently caress is a generation-old port called the "definitive" edition when it can't loving run at 60fps.

Same thing for Dishonored, which I'd rather play on my PC. How does it still run at just 30fps, jesus bethsesda please ask the DOOM guys how to get your games running adequately.

it's definitive because it has all of the dlc, including preorder dlc you couldnt otherwise get anymore. ive never really thought of 60 fps as definitive, at any point, in my entire life.

edit: dishonored that is. i have no idea whats in darksiders and dont care if its not got a perfect refresh rate

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

At this point the next extremely anime game should be called Sunk Cost Fallacy: Hyper Fates Z Crisis Story

Actually I feel this way lately about any long RPG I play. 'Am I still playing this because I actually care about the plot and characters and want to see a resolution or am I playing it because I've spent 20 hours on it expecting it to get better but now it's a tedious grind and I'm afraid to admit I wasted 20 hours.'

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You should play better rpgs

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Or just better games in general, yeah.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Witcher 3 is the best RPG made in the past decade, and probably the best WRPG ever made in terms of storytelling, characters, and the scope of its world. Its combat is pretty decent, and it has a lot of elements that make it fun, like hunting monsters requires you to research their weaknesses, and overall the game is just damned incredible.

Play it, love it. I had nothing else t do and played it for basically two straight months and I still couldn't do everything there is to do.

To add to this to address the DLC, which the Complete edition includes, it is some of the best DLC released for any game, period. Blood and Wine in particular is 20-30 hours long and better than the vast majority of standalone RPGs by itself. So while the main game will give you enough to play for a good while, the DLC is absolutely worth it and that price for the complete edition is a steal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

jesus bethsesda please ask the DOOM guys how to get your games running adequately.

My main wish in life is that Bethesda use the devs they currently hire as part of id to make an engine for their games.

When you see Doom or Wolfenstein running on PS4 and then look at Fallout 4/ Skyrim Remastered it's absolutely pathetic

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My main wish in life is that Bethesda use the devs they currently hire as part of id to make an engine for their games.

When you see Doom or Wolfenstein running on PS4 and then look at Fallout 4/ Skyrim Remastered it's absolutely pathetic

Open world is hard but beth is still too buggy for a pass.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one of my friends who is an ~INDUSTRY INSIDER~ told me that a lot of bad legacy engines remain in use for way too long because it's very hard for the people making the games to actually convince the people in accounting that it's necessary. which is how you end up with these half measure upgrades like beth has been doing, or the ridiculous situation where altering assets in Destiny took so long

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

one of my friends who is an ~INDUSTRY INSIDER~ told me that a lot of bad legacy engines remain in use for way too long because it's very hard for the people making the games to actually convince the people in accounting that it's necessary. which is how you end up with these half measure upgrades like beth has been doing, or the ridiculous situation where altering assets in Destiny took so long

The project managers should easily be able to do a post mortem on the game dev cycle to show the inefficiencies created, though, so it's not all on the finance teams. If they had the numbers to support it it shouldn't be that hard of an argument to make.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Getsuya posted:

Actually I feel this way lately about any long RPG I play. 'Am I still playing this because I actually care about the plot and characters and want to see a resolution or am I playing it because I've spent 20 hours on it expecting it to get better but now it's a tedious grind and I'm afraid to admit I wasted 20 hours.'

That's me with Witcher 3.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

housefly posted:

The project managers should easily be able to do a post mortem on the game dev cycle to show the inefficiencies created, though, so it's not all on the finance teams. If they had the numbers to support it it shouldn't be that hard of an argument to make.

Lol, if only this was how business decisions were actually made.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

1redflag posted:

Lol, if only this was how business decisions were actually made.

Probably like

It costs money? Does it make us more money?

No? Stick with what we have then. Meanwhile I'm gonna run the numbers on how well we can nickel and dime random loot crates.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Wolfsheim posted:

I was considering getting Star Wars Battlefronts because $10 for shallow nostalgic pew pew seems about right...then I realized that's the base game and the million things they added later are either in individual $15 map packs or the still-full-priced season pass :laffo:

So is it not even worth the $9.99? I was wondering if anyone even plays it anymore myself.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm not sure about player count as I only play with a friend, and that hasn't happened in months.

The game is cool for 10 bucks. Just beware that there's no real single player content. Some maps are more balanced than others. Always use the pistol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

makes sense given how tough Dishonored 2 has it on PC and just barely manages 30fps on consoles---it's running on a heavily modified legacy engine. Imagine Dishonored running on the poo poo id games and Machinegames uses. Sure it might take a little bit of a hit graphically but DOOM looked fantastic all the same.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Wanna jump on Mad Max and Sniper Elite 3, with Shadows of Mordor possibly added. Goon approved?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

knows a black guy posted:

Wanna jump on Mad Max and Sniper Elite 3, with Shadows of Mordor possibly added. Goon approved?
For $10 Sniper Elite III Ultimate is pretty great. Just make sure to turn the frequency of slow-mo kills all the way up and don't worry too much about always making headshots.

The game makes a huge deal about using land mines to cover your rear end but on mid-level difficulty or lower it's rarely something to worry about. Also, the ghost function where you can take loud potshots and relocate is really easy (and fun) to exploit if you're even the slightest bit patient.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

hadji murad posted:

The complete version is absolutely worth it. The base game is my favorite RPG I've ever played and the DLC, especially Blood & Wine is great and deep enough to be its own game.

The writing in Witcher 3 is so good and the missions feel like such a natural extension of the story that it's hard to go back to the normal fetch quest nonsense.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

knows a black guy posted:

Shadow of Mordor is pretty great, takes aspects of rear end Creed and Batman and wraps them in an amazing orc power-structure/nemesis system that really sells the game. Set a dude on fire and cut his head off? He might come back with a huge scar around his neck and now he can't be backstabbed or hit with arrows, but he's afraid of fire! It's a brilliant mechanic and I hope they can make it work in other games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordor is super easy as is and you'll end up missing the good stuff with the nemesis system. I think I died a total of 10 times in the whole game and a lot of that wasn't to actual orcs I could turn into my nemesis

Try this:
http://kotaku.com/think-shadow-of-mordor-is-too-easy-try-these-out-1653394248

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Are those US Black Friday promos likely to be the same ones that make it over to the UK?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
This is a weird question but can I use multiple sources to pay for an item? I have 10.96$ in credit and I'd like to buy FFXV when it comes out so can I combine the credit with another funding source to buy it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dodoman posted:

This is a weird question but can I use multiple sources to pay for an item? I have 10.96$ in credit and I'd like to buy FFXV when it comes out so can I combine the credit with another funding source to buy it?

If you don't have enough in your wallet, it'll use your credit card or whatever else funding you have to top off your wallet.

So yeah it'll pull 49.03 from your credit card after it uses the credit first.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet, thanks for the quick response.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mad Max was good, but you might want to space out your play through if you also get Mordor, since they have similar combat systems.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Mordor is super easy as is and you'll end up missing the good stuff with the nemesis system. I think I died a total of 10 times in the whole game and a lot of that wasn't to actual orcs I could turn into my nemesis

Try this:
http://kotaku.com/think-shadow-of-mordor-is-too-easy-try-these-out-1653394248

By contrast, I had to abandon the game because it felt you couldn't die even once without the orc that killed you turning into an unstoppable blender that effectively turned that whole region into a no-go zone, and after dying enough times to create enough superorcs all over the map there was just no way out but starting from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That sucks :( When I got to the end where you're supposed to face off against your Nemesis, mine was just some random orc I met maybe once so it kinda lessened the effect.

Spoiler?

• Locked thread