Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any sports anime that you'd recommend that sounds similar to the kind of show I'm looking for

I liked ping pong but for the most part I've never been terribly excited by sports shows and as a result haven't seen many of them. Glancing down that op, none of those shows sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for, what show in particular do you think would be a good fit for my ask?

Ippo gets really exciting. I binged the whole first season in like a week back when I was younger and had way more free time. It's really addictive and that first season stays fresh all the way through, since there's plenty of variety in the fights and the animation does a fine job at illustrating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any sports anime that you'd recommend that sounds similar to the kind of show I'm looking for

I liked ping pong but for the most part I've never been terribly excited by sports shows and as a result haven't seen many of them. Glancing down that op, none of those shows sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for, what show in particular do you think would be a good fit for my ask?

Sports anime generally have lots and lots of intense episodes where things slow down and everything is super important and emotional, so it immediately sprang to mind when you mentioned the Chimera Ant arc in HxH. Chihayafuru and Haikyu would be good shows to look into.

Yes this!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
As far as anime that make me feel things, currently airing March Comes In Like A Lion is delivering so far, so it may be worth a try.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

ninjewtsu posted:

To get this thread a bit more on topic: what are some good animes that are packed full of really intense emotion? Something along the lines of gundam thunderbolt, the king arc of hunter x hunter, or attack on titan? Like, an anime that hits you in the face with a sledgehammer of raw emotion every episode? I'm not 100% sure how articulate it better than that but something along the lines of the shows I mentioned

Well this is pretty much a polar opposite in terms of genre and content from the examples you posted, but NANA put me through the entire wringer of human emotion.

If you read the manga to see what happens after the show ends, be prepared to be sad forever (mostly because the author got sick, stopped writing it, and will probably never give the series the proper conclusion that you'll be aching for if you make it that far).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

To get this thread a bit more on topic: what are some good animes that are packed full of really intense emotion? Something along the lines of gundam thunderbolt, the king arc of hunter x hunter, or attack on titan? Like, an anime that hits you in the face with a sledgehammer of raw emotion every episode? I'm not 100% sure how articulate it better than that but something along the lines of the shows I mentioned

Watch TTGL if you haven't already, a ton of emotion all over the place in every direction in that one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trawled through some more Hulu shows and found another one I lked, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

It's like a JRPG told from the perspective of the characters being played. Surprisingly intelligent and affecting. Only 12 eps tho.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Grimgar is really good, can confirm

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like a pretty healthy pack of recommendations for me, thanks guys!

I'll try to report back when I watch something

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm going through more of these shows (getting out if I don't like the first episode or even the first few episodes) due to being too sick to go work, and it's funny how quickly I am peacing out of shows in my OCD (and alphebitical) run through Hulu's anime offerings. There's usually a few factors that tell me I'm not going to like a show....

The title song coming in way too early before anything interesting happened in the plot

Junior high students

Correlational relationship between cuteness and quality

Crazy faces due to being embarrased

Anything to do with the apocalypse

Junior high students

EDIT: Also giant swords, extremely badass heroes, and weirdness towards women

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shageletic posted:

The title song coming in way too early before anything interesting happened in the plot

This is a weird one, but then again I'll give extra points to a show that puts the OP immediately at the start so I can skip it so I shouldn't talk.

Shageletic posted:

Crazy faces due to being embarrased

this, on the other hand: what the gently caress?

this is like the best thing anime ever did for the world

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a weird one, but then again I'll give extra points to a show that puts the OP immediately at the start so I can skip it so I shouldn't talk.

this, on the other hand: what the gently caress?

this is like the best thing anime ever did for the world

I didn't say it was rational but comedies depending on people being embarrassed seems to coincide with me rolling my eyes eventually and trying something else. Speaking of that

Durarara!! is pretty good! Weird and interesting with a pretty unique short story structure of a bustling Tokyo neighborhood.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you watched durarara i hope you've already seen/plan on watching baccano next

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nobuyuki Fukumoto probably writes stuff with the most empathy towards other humans of any manga I've read. The guy is just really good at understanding why people do the things they do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Akagi still playing against Washizu? Despite knowing nothing of Mahjong I really liked Akagi.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

if you watched durarara i hope you've already seen/plan on watching baccano next

Sure if it's on Hulu. But gotta go through Durarara first and its sequel series, and I'm also going through Gundam Orphan edition and since I don't have a sick day for excuse, they might take me a while. Thanks for the recommendation though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure baccano is availed subbed for free on youtube. The dub is fantastic though, but I don't know if it's on hulu

I thiiiink the first 2 episodes are available dubbed on the funimation youtube channel too? Not sure though

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Sure if it's on Hulu. But gotta go through Durarara first and its sequel series, and I'm also going through Gundam Orphan edition and since I don't have a sick day for excuse, they might take me a while. Thanks for the recommendation though.

You should be set for a while then. Durarara and its sequel is 60+ episodes just by itself.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

"From the New World" it's quite different, and interesting look at the end result of people with powers and an emotional rollercoaster.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

You should be set for a while then. Durarara and its sequel is 60+ episodes just by itself.

Yeesh, what have I gotten myself into...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Shageletic posted:

An awesome series.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I just finished FMA Brotherhood and looked at the (long) list of stuff everyone here recommended to me and thought the same thing. Brotherhood was really really good though and well worth the time I sank into watching it. I hope that something else on the list hooks me in the same way.

Also, I found out there were Persona 4 and Neptunia shows and watched them both. They were awful and I loved every last awkward minute of them, please tell me there is more stupid fun stuff like this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

Also, I found out there were Persona 4 and Neptunia shows and watched them both. They were awful and I loved every last awkward minute of them, please tell me there is more stupid fun stuff like this.

Go watch Nichijou (if you don't mind subtitles) or Azumanga Daioh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

I just finished FMA Brotherhood and looked at the (long) list of stuff everyone here recommended to me and thought the same thing. Brotherhood was really really good though and well worth the time I sank into watching it. I hope that something else on the list hooks me in the same way.

Watch the first episode or two of Persona 4 Golden, and report back when you realize it's no poo poo, new game+.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any thriller animes maybe like Mayoiga something with horror or just straight up mystery. Like the tv show Lost or Twin Peaks is there any other anime with a cast of characters which is suspenseful/mystery?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ulio posted:

Any thriller animes maybe like Mayoiga something with horror or just straight up mystery. Like the tv show Lost or Twin Peaks is there any other anime with a cast of characters which is suspenseful/mystery?

Higurashi definitely, maybe check out Another and Shiki.
You could try Lain and Boogiepop Phantom though the horror/mystery in those is of a much different kind.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ulio posted:

From The New World/Shin Sekai Yori got mentioned not long ago. Not every episode is like that, and it takes a little while to get there, but the show is incredibly tense and has a hell of a lot of atmosphere, particularly in the second half. A good amount of horror/mystery/suspense, certainly worth checking out.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm neck deep in Shin Sekai Yori show right now. The second half is definitely picking up, but I feel it's fair to emphasize this bit

smenj posted:

it takes a little while to get there

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Monster! It's pretty drat cool

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Higurashi definitely, maybe check out Another and Shiki.
You could try Lain and Boogiepop Phantom though the horror/mystery in those is of a much different kind.

The main-plot episodes of Boogiepop aren't great, but the standalone ones are some amazing examples of hosed-up psychological horror. I really need to sit down and give Lain another go too, because I've seen the first maybe two episodes and found it a shade too slow to enjoy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Monster! It's pretty drat cool

Monster is great! Is there anywhere to watch it legally? Or even a well translated torrent? I ask because I'm pretty sure the copy I'm watching is a broadcast rip with terrible terrible subs.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Cowwan posted:

I'm neck deep in Shin Sekai Yori show right now. The second half is definitely picking up, but I feel it's fair to emphasize this bit

Other thing to note: First half has an A-plot and a B-plot. In the second half the A-plot disappears and never gets resolved, and the B-plot takes over the show. It's a good B-plot, but it barely gets a chance to breathe before the show ends.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Alright, thanks for the heads up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What the heck, there's nothing left hanging in ssy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ulio posted:

I've heard good things about Monster.

I enjoyed Paranoia Agent back in the day.

EDIT: Looks I'm too late with the Monster recom.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cowwan posted:

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

For the record, I have no idea what pavlov is talking about.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Oh yeah, Paranoia Agent! That's the one you want and I can't believe i forgot it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the first half of ghost hound

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mouryo no hako but read the prequel book or manga first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Best slice-of-life that doesn't focus on middle/high schoolers and isn't Shirobako, Nana, or Usagi Drop?