Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, literally everyone figures out the Kamehameha super quickly. Master Roshi's the only guy who had trouble with it, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, Buu, Cell (well, he's cheating), ect all pull it out without much effort.

Kamehameha isn't even a real technique. Its just a generic Ki blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
^^^ I believe the whole deal is that it brings out any dormant power in you. It made more sense in Dragonball than it did in Z when everyone was going all-out.

Blockhouse posted:

to be fair both yamcha and krillin learn it off screen and tien probably learned it from shen

Krillin actually learned it mid-fight vs Chiaotzu. He does a tiny little puffball one to see if he even can, then pulls out the real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iIy27LUOFk

He does this in the manga too I believe.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 22, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That whole tournament is about the Kamehameha. Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien of all people use it for the first time there, I think Goku uses it to fly through the air for the first time there, and Tien shows off his one weird trick to outright cancel the Kamehameha that became the basis for the scrubbiest Z-Soul in Xenoverse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

That whole tournament is about the Kamehameha. Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien of all people use it for the first time there, I think Goku uses it to fly through the air for the first time there, and Tien shows off his one weird trick to outright cancel the Kamehameha that became the basis for the scrubbiest Z-Soul in Xenoverse.

Just imagine if someone had actually taught Cell that technique.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

Then Gohan would finish him with the Masenko instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Then Gohan would finish him with the Masenko instead.

But Piccolo is alive so he can't support Gohan in spirit. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Theoretically he should know it at least exists, since Dr. Gero had begun spying on Goku and co. already at the 22nd World Tournament IIRC. Toriyama probably forgot about it though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He probably just scratched his head and figured the technique worked by yelling really loud.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reinanigans posted:

I understand that DB was kind of the first of its kind, but I wish "big beam" or "big blast" wasn't the default response for everyone. It's cool that Piccolo makes a corkscrew beam, Yamcha has his little guided bomb, Krillin has the destructo disc, Vegetto had his lightsaber, etc. More unique applications of attacks would be cool. I liked what Black did with the scythe, even if it was a little :metal101: try-hard fanfictiony.

I'm glad Trunks also got spirit sword 'cause all of his other moves were basically beams or blasts, despite being the only fighter who uses a weapon.

A lot of this is because of what inspired the Kamehameha

Namely Ultraman and his beam finishers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmT5W4sujlw

Lots of big beam finishers

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Oh god, some of those costumes are giving me Power Rangers flashbacks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

Oh god, some of those costumes are giving me Power Rangers flashbacks.

They should.

Ultraman is the daddy of all modern Japanese live action super hero work. Everything that has come since can be tied directly to it, either from inspiration, wanting to compete with it, or both. The fact that it was made in 1966 also points to its influence over Anime. Godzilla is the granddaddy of them all, of course, as Ultraman and Godzilla were both made by the same special effects master, Eiji Tsuburaya.

To say that it was also a huge inspiration for Toriyama is a bit of an understatement. Even ignoring some of the obvious beams that were obviously inspired by Ultraman, Bulma's Capsule technology is directly based on a gadget UltraSeven used a fair amount in his series, and ChiChi's helmet is based on UltraSeven's head design, including his boomerang blade crest the EyeSlugger. She even got his forehead beam.

And of course Dr. Slump is chock full of references, up to and including the fact that Arale likes to cosplay as Ultraman to save the day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man DB Super is nailing it. everything has owned lately.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I thought the Kamehameha was a big deal because it magnified the user's ki output or something, which is why Goku using it while using the Kaioken vs Vegeta was really strong. He was stacking multipliers

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

New Leaf posted:

^^^ I believe the whole deal is that it brings out any dormant power in you. It made more sense in Dragonball than it did in Z when everyone was going all-out.

going by raditz, it just acts as an amplifier or charges you up or something like that. he was surprised when goku's power level spiked as he fired off his kamehameha and none of the freeza squad knew you could do that kind of thing either. so it's kinda like the special beam cannon but it trades some power for not taking 12 years to fire off. the real answer is just that it's what the protag uses that makes it special; it's not like the kamehameha has a better track record than other techniques or anything

also to be fair to roshi, he invented the kamehameha before ki blasts and flying and poo poo was really a thing outside of piccolo/kami, he didn't have someone to demonstrate it for him

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
The Kamehameha has to be inferior to the Galick Gun though. Kaioken x3 Goku is kicking Vegeta's rear end, but the kaioken x3 kamehameha was losing to the Galick Gun. It's only when Goku goes kaioken x4 that he is able to win the beam struggle.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Goku was pretty worn down at that point. 3 multiplied by "tired as gently caress" ki is probably pretty mediocre.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku was way weaker than vegeta and on his last legs at that point, so yea his laser beams were weaker than vegeta's laser beams

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I still think it's funny that Vegeta would have totally won if he had just floated back down and kicked Goku in the dick until death after the beam struggle. Vegeta still had a lot left in the tank while Goku was half dead and Krillen and Gohan were scrubs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Spiritus Nox posted:

I still think it's funny that Vegeta would have totally won if he had just floated back down and kicked Goku in the dick until death after the beam struggle. Vegeta still had a lot left in the tank while Goku was half dead and Krillen and Gohan were scrubs.

Why should Vegeta, THE PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS, get down to the level of a LOW-CLASS WRETCH like KAKAROTT

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The beams are not different in strength, they are a projection of pure ki energy and are as strong as their users, not more, not less. Imagine a bunch of fists being pounded every second into the face of the enemy at full strength while the charge it, to be released as a single long-range attack once they spot an opening in the enemy. It's not that Galick gun as stronger than Kamehameha, it was that Vegeta was stronger than Goku. Until he used Kaioken to make himself stronger.

Final Flash and Special Beam Canon are powerful because they required so much charging and even Cell wasn't ready for tanking a blow composed of all of Vegeta's rage from both his fists.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mordaedil posted:

The beams are not different in strength, they are a projection of pure ki energy and are as strong as their users, not more, not less. Imagine a bunch of fists being pounded every second into the face of the enemy at full strength while the charge it, to be released as a single long-range attack once they spot an opening in the enemy. It's not that Galick gun as stronger than Kamehameha, it was that Vegeta was stronger than Goku. Until he used Kaioken to make himself stronger.

Final Flash and Special Beam Canon are powerful because they required so much charging and even Cell wasn't ready for tanking a blow composed of all of Vegeta's rage from both his fists.

Special Beam Cannon in particular is extra deadly because it's extremely focused. Recall how it pierced a perfect, tiny hole in the Very Powerful Barrier around Champa & Beerus's arena. It's all of Piccolo's ludicrous power, concentrated into a tiny bullet that is spinning like a drill.

It does call into question why it takes Interstellar Warrior Prodigy / God Kinda Piccolo 2 minutes to charge it up, where Krillin can crap out a Kienzan capable of slicing off hunks of Frieza in like a second, though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

deadly_pudding posted:

It does call into question why it takes Interstellar Warrior Prodigy / God Kinda Piccolo 2 minutes to charge it up, where Krillin can crap out a Kienzan capable of slicing off hunks of Frieza in like a second, though.

Toriyama doesn't actually care about stuff like that, is your answer.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The same way you can spend hours honing and sharpening a knife blade to razor sharpness, or go out into a shale quarry and find a piece sharp enough to cut your finger off.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yea, especially since Goku was regaining stamina while Vegeta was looking for the moon and the fake moon was the reason why Gohan and Krillin went back anyway. He might have had less chance against a Solar Flare + Spirit Bomb though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
It's not like the Distructo Disk ever hits anyway.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The next arc of Super should end with Krillin finally killing a villain with it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's not like the Distructo Disk ever hits anyway.

The only time it works is when it not even Krillin using the move.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

The same way you can spend hours honing and sharpening a knife blade to razor sharpness, or go out into a shale quarry and find a piece sharp enough to cut your finger off.

It's basically two different routes of achieving the same thing, Krillin probably got inspired by the Special Beam Cannon. Piccolo seems to be able to put more energy into the attack at the expense of agility, also it's probably a faster blast. Really, the answer is "Toriyama thought it was cooler this way". Techniques in DBZ are just different poses with the eventual exceptions (Buu's chocolate ray, Genkidama, Kikoho).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rirse posted:

The only time it works is when it not even Krillin using the move.

Like who?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Like who?

Frieza cuts himself to pieces with it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Frieza cuts himself to pieces with it.

I don't think that count as "working"

But hey, for as useless as the move is for Krillin, at least he can say he never cut himself in half with it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vegeta uses it successfully.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Vegeta uses it successfully.

As much as people joke about the Abridged "Destructo Disk! "...The gently caress?!" bit, I do think that sort of thing is part of why the fight with Vegeta is so awesome. The way he just keeps getting back up after every pummeling and setback, and the notion that he's copying his opponents' techniques on the fly to try and adapt to the poo poo that keeps getting thrown at him even as he gets weaker and weaker, really helps cement Vegeta as a genius on Goku's level when it comes to fighting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It is unfortunate that Vegeta never learned Advanced Geometry.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

Special Beam Cannon in particular is extra deadly because it's extremely focused. Recall how it pierced a perfect, tiny hole in the Very Powerful Barrier around Champa & Beerus's arena. It's all of Piccolo's ludicrous power, concentrated into a tiny bullet that is spinning like a drill.

We've seen Piccolo use the beam without charging it, but it might be safe to assume that without charging it, it doesn't quite have the penetration power he needs from it.

He looked at his opponent and decided "yup, my drill needs to be set to 11 instead of 1." That is probably also why he needed that much time to deal with Raditz too. Presumably he developed the technique with the intent of using it with no charge to kill Goku, but Raditz was just that much harder to overcome the defenses of.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
special beam cannon and frieza's death beam are the best dragonball moves other than perhaps buu's ability to turn people into food which owns pretty hard.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

eonwe posted:

special beam cannon and frieza's death beam are the best dragonball moves other than perhaps buu's ability to turn people into food which owns pretty hard.

:yeah:

I like Special Beam Cannon, I think, aside from the fact that it's stylish as all gently caress, because there's just so much fanfare for it. It takes forever to charge up, Piccolo's body is doing all this gross stuff with his veins, there's lightning shooting out of the energy ball the whole time, and even if it misses Piccolo still blows up a fuckin mountain.

I'm fond of Galick Gun for similar reasons. You get the bitchin purple ki aura, that gets all spiky and lightning-y because Vegeta is loving LIVID pretty much any time he's using it, hand he does that thing with his hands that kind of implies he's just dumping his entire fury on you(r planet) like a giant bucket of hate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, I don't know what the Super spoiler policy is so I'm just going to spoiler this stuff from the most recent episode

When Gohan went to see Trunks off he arrived with Piccolo and was panting. Is this implying that Gohan is maybe training with Piccolo? Like, maybe Trunks came from the future where Gohan had died and maybe it caused Gohan to realize he should train. Also, I really wish Piccolo could get some kind of god ki buff, that would be baller. I think if anything the Namekians are the closest to the Kais , so I don't see why it should be out of the question that they could use the god ki stuff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

:yeah:

I like Special Beam Cannon, I think, aside from the fact that it's stylish as all gently caress, because there's just so much fanfare for it. It takes forever to charge up, Piccolo's body is doing all this gross stuff with his veins, there's lightning shooting out of the energy ball the whole time, and even if it misses Piccolo still blows up a fuckin mountain.

I'm fond of Galick Gun for similar reasons. You get the bitchin purple ki aura, that gets all spiky and lightning-y because Vegeta is loving LIVID pretty much any time he's using it, hand he does that thing with his hands that kind of implies he's just dumping his entire fury on you(r planet) like a giant bucket of hate.

definitely. Galick Gun is cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

eonwe posted:

When Gohan went to see Trunks off he arrived with Piccolo and was panting. Is this implying that Gohan is maybe training with Piccolo? Like, maybe Trunks came from the future where Gohan had died and maybe it caused Gohan to realize he should train. Also, I really wish Piccolo could get some kind of god ki buff, that would be baller. I think if anything the Namekians are the closest to the Kais , so I don't see why it should be out of the question that they could use the god ki stuff.

Gohan just gets exhausted from flight easily, says the pessimist in me

• Locked thread