Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I started an Emperor game as Montezuma and walked all over Greece and Norway. I now have 6 superfluous builders due to my guys enslaving all those troops. Wonder if I should have kept one barely alive so I could farm more builders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Alright...so having played this game for a few weeks now is there a general consensus on who the biggest pain in the rear end to play against is? Because boy howdy do I loving hate Teddy "Six-foot-tall penis with a mustache" Roosevelt.

Every single time I play as a good expansionist civ I seem to get him as one of my nearby neighbors and yeah gently caress him.

Qin Shi Huang never fails to be a total cock in every game he's in for me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

biscuits and crazy posted:

Dude loves having wonders and he gets pissy when I build my second.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wacky Delly posted:

Dude loves having wonders and he gets pissy when I build my second.

"Why should you care about building wonders when you could be looking at how awesome I am instead? :smuggo:"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

What I am getting from this thread is that while diplomacy can use some polish, the writers nailed it when it comes to the leader interactions themselves.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only one who doesn't really get mad at me somehow is Hardrada. The guy just loves me killing barbarians and so we're best friends :3:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The only one who doesn't really get mad at me somehow is Hardrada. The guy just loves me killing barbarians and so we're best friends :3:

He doesn't get pissed at me (at least not from diplomacy BS) because every time I start with him on the map he's my next door neighbor and I've already decided to knock out my nearest neighbor for an early-game boost. Kinda hard to be pissed at me for not living up to an agenda when he's dead.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Harald was my friend who was also a schizophrenic psychopath last game I played. At multiple points during the game he would, as my closest neighbor, declare random surprise wars - probably because I kept a small but very technologically advanced army and he thought he could take me with his backwards but very manpower heavy garbage. (typical Civ VI AI behavior of course)

Immediately after every war he would bug the poo poo out of me for declarations of friendship and in general our relationship was extremely positive.

"I'm sorry for that war, CAN WE BE FRIENDS?" :byodood:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

Harald was my friend who was also a schizophrenic psychopath last game I played. At multiple points during the game he would, as my closest neighbor, declare random surprise wars - probably because I kept a small but very technologically advanced army and he thought he could take me with his backwards but very manpower heavy garbage. (typical Civ VI AI behavior of course)

Immediately after every war he would bug the poo poo out of me for declarations of friendship and in general our relationship was extremely positive.

Seems like perfectly rational viking behavior.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

This has nothing to do with anything, but the Japanese theme music (Lullaby of Itsuki) has a very distinctive melody that is duplicated in the opening of the song The Shadow of Your Smile, which was my dad's favorite song. Every few minutes in game, a few notes play and it's like - hey Dad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Il4gNHiaa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSbEvglOSQ

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
In my second full game, as Cleo, I was stuck on a big continent with only Hojo. He liked me from the get go since I was aiming for a cultural victory. After riding out early issues (his second agenda was populous), we were BFFs for the rest of the game, which is the only I never saw conflict except for barbarians.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dervyn posted:

In my second full game, as Cleo, I was stuck on a big continent with only Hojo. He liked me from the get go since I was aiming for a cultural victory. After riding out early issues (his second agenda was populous), we were BFFs for the rest of the game, which is the only I never saw conflict except for barbarians.

If there were a way to play with just me, city-states, and barbarians, I would play it.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Ice Fist posted:

He also perceives entire navies from land locked civilizations. Just nod and say yes.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Every few turns Gorgo was yelling at me about something. I presume my military score.

Goodbye.

Now that I am an egregious warmonger she is very polite. Also I have built an airplane and she likes that too.

Goodbye.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

biscuits and crazy posted:

Getting pissed at you for building wonders first? What does he think he is, a human player?!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Finally played a game all the way through to the end and the late game kinda sucks. It was just grinding rounds of managing city production and trade routes, while the surviving AI's constantly shuffled enormous armies around on my borders but never actually started anything. Think I'll start loading some mods up at the weekend.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

Finally played a game all the way through to the end and the late game kinda sucks. It was just grinding rounds of managing city production and trade routes, while the surviving AI's constantly shuffled enormous armies around on my borders but never actually started anything. Think I'll start loading some mods up at the weekend.

I almost always restart once I get to the mid-game because I find the medieval and renaissance eras boring as gently caress. I finally soldiered through and played a game through to a science victory and the amount of stuff the game suddenly throws at you at the end is kind of over whelming. They definitely need to prune some of that poo poo and instead add some more to the mid-game. Or maybe science/culture just snowballs at the end? I don't know.

Is there any kind of accepted strategy when it comes to using gold to purchase things? I'm never sure if I should be saving up for a rainy day, or spending it every opportunity I get. Like is it a waste to spend it on units instead of buildings? I find once it's obvious I'm going to win a game, I just stop spending money all together, and can end up with like tens of thousands of gold. It feels like maybe the best use of gold would be to purchase a couple of buildings in each new city to get it up and running sooner?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DEO3 posted:

I almost always restart once I get to the mid-game because I find the medieval and renaissance eras boring as gently caress. I finally soldiered through and played a game through to a science victory and the amount of stuff the game suddenly throws at you at the end is kind of over whelming. They definitely need to prune some of that poo poo and instead add some more to the mid-game. Or maybe science/culture just snowballs at the end? I don't know.

Is there any kind of accepted strategy when it comes to using gold to purchase things? I'm never sure if I should be saving up for a rainy day, or spending it every opportunity I get. Like is it a waste to spend it on units instead of buildings? I find once it's obvious I'm going to win a game, I just stop spending money all together, and can end up with like tens of thousands of gold. It feels like maybe the best use of gold would be to purchase a couple of buildings in each new city to get it up and running sooner?

I think it's worth buying units with 1) builders and 2) emergencies. Most units don't make your civilization better, they just make it better-defended and more expensive.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Well, I just finished a game that had an annoying ending. I was merrily dominating the world, but didn't check a deal closely enough and ended up in a defensive pact with Egypt, who shortly afterwards became the last civ standing. It turns out there's no way to break that pact; you can't negotiate an early ending and I couldn't trespass onto her land because the same deal also gave us open borders.
From the civilopedia I found out that Defensive Pacts last 30 turns, but I couldn't find anywhere that listed active deals to see many turns ago it had been signed and I didn't spot anything about it in the rumours section of the diplomacy screen. As a last resort I tried launching a nuke at Cleo's capital and to my surprise not only did the game allow it, there were no consequences whatsoever. It didn't put us at war and it didn't end the pact.

It was a little fun bombing Egyptian cities off the map with nukes that Cleo couldn't intercept (because we weren't at war) but it was an aggravating delay to a conquest victory having to wait out the deal timer.

I don't know if that's something exploitable in multiplayer, but I guess watch out for pacts with anyone who has a nuclear arsenal?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Ripper Swarm posted:

Well, I just finished a game that had an annoying ending. I was merrily dominating the world, but didn't check a deal closely enough and ended up in a defensive pact with Egypt, who shortly afterwards became the last civ standing. It turns out there's no way to break that pact; you can't negotiate an early ending and I couldn't trespass onto her land because the same deal also gave us open borders.
From the civilopedia I found out that Defensive Pacts last 30 turns, but I couldn't find anywhere that listed active deals to see many turns ago it had been signed and I didn't spot anything about it in the rumours section of the diplomacy screen. As a last resort I tried launching a nuke at Cleo's capital and to my surprise not only did the game allow it, there were no consequences whatsoever. It didn't put us at war and it didn't end the pact.

It was a little fun bombing Egyptian cities off the map with nukes that Cleo couldn't intercept (because we weren't at war) but it was an aggravating delay to a conquest victory having to wait out the deal timer.

I don't know if that's something exploitable in multiplayer, but I guess watch out for pacts with anyone who has a nuclear arsenal?

Imagine if there was some sort of diplomatic system in the game to punish breaking alliances and being other belligerent actions.

Also I have never seen the AI defend themselves against nukes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh, you need plastics to build oil wells in the water. It's right on the same screen

It's crazy that the game lacks a tooltip for it though. Sometimes you can't build an improvement and I can't work out why - let me hover over the icon and it will say "THIS NEEDS HILLS" or whatever.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 23, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I received a -6 to my relationship with Saladin for proliferating my nuclear arsenal into his cities. Conversely, I had a friendly +6 with Gorge due to my aeroplane.

I did see more upgraded units and less random wardecs than before which is a step in the right direction. Although my sampling size is 1 game since I am not going to play until the next patch.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Taear posted:

It's crazy that the game lacks a tooltip for it though. Sometimes you can't build an improvement and I can't work out why - let me hover over the icon and it will say "THIS NEEDS HILLS" or whatever.

If you mouse over the oil icon, it will say "requires plastics". I think you also might get that tooltip by hovering over the "build oil well" button.

Oct 28, 2003

Decrepus posted:

Every few turns Gorgo was yelling at me about something. I presume my military score.

Goodbye.

Now that I am an egregious warmonger she is very polite. Also I have built an airplane and she likes that too.

Goodbye.

I need a mod that adds "You'll pay for this in time." as a response. I don't care if it does nothing, I miss it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Civilization VI: Goodbye

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Just got my deity win on a standard, inland sea map. Hilariously, every single Civ spawned on the right half of the map, with the left half occupied only by city states. I had the luck of being the western most Civ on he north shore, so I quickly settled to block expansion westward by the AI, and I was free to settle a massive empire they simply couldn't compete with.

A little disappointed it was that easy, and that a glitch aided my success.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 23, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JVNO posted:

Just got my deity win on a standard, inland sea map. Hilariously, every single Civ spawned on the right half of the map, with the left half occupied only by city states. I had the luck of being the western most Civ on he north shore, so I quickly settled to block expansion westward by the AI, and I was free to settle a massive empire they simply couldn't compete with.

A little disappointed it was that easy, and that a glitch aided by success.

I love the inland sea map. Always seems like I get the most space from everybody else so that I can build some. It's also the only one where I've seen the Great Barrier Reef.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
After having played a while, I really dislike builders. It's just way too fuckin' micromanage-y to have to be constantly queueing them up, especially without a production queue.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trivia posted:

After having played a while, I really dislike builders. It's just way too fuckin' micromanage-y to have to be constantly queueing them up, especially without a production queue.

I buy them far more often than I build them.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Trivia posted:

Agreed. There's just too many little stupid things you have to do that only serve as a distraction while you are fighting a war. Especially when you are taking cities. I'm supposed to manage the improvements and repair tiles instead of having automated workers do it? gently caress that.

Goodbye.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Why can't builders build roads? Even if they were slower at it than traders, it would be nice to have some control over that.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I like builders and most other things in this game. Except for the 'AI did something we didn't expect' - crash.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

prefect posted:

Why can't builders build roads? Even if they were slower at it than traders, it would be nice to have some control over that.

I've never found it all that difficult to build roads with traders, especially since you generally want to send a trader out from any new city to give it a boost when it's founded. In the early game, you're never going to be expending charges from 2 or 3 builders to create a road instead of improving terrain and by mid game you'll usually have at least 10 traders and plenty of roads.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chalks posted:

I've never found it all that difficult to build roads with traders, especially since you generally want to send a trader out from any new city to give it a boost when it's founded. In the early game, you're never going to be expending charges from 2 or 3 builders to create a road instead of improving terrain and by mid game you'll usually have at least 10 traders and plenty of roads.

Traders are so damned slow, and I don't think better roads make them any faster.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

prefect posted:

Traders are so damned slow, and I don't think better roads make them any faster.

The only time I've really been irritated by movement speed is when I've literally forgotten to build a road prior to wanting to move stuff in that direction then had to wait for the trader. Generally as long as I remember to boost the city with a trader, by the time there's much reason to be moving things in that direction there's at least most of a road. I guess perhaps if you want to move a builder over to the new city you'd be moving it there before the trader had built the road - but it's not like having to spend that builder and the one after it constructing the road would speed this up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DEO3 posted:

Remember to invest in your empire. Building's are investments. Basically buy anything that will make your empire better. You want to build a new city? Buy the settler, buy the granary and the Monument and maybe a builder and trader for the new city. Buy district buildings especially for industrial districts. Buy the first tiers of Commerical/science districts.

Only buy military units if you are planning an aggressive time scale to use them. i.e. if you are planning to attack someone, buy units ASAP until you get the number/type you are comfortable attacking with. The sooner you attack the better, this is particularly important for early game rushes, you want to get to the city before walls get built. If you are fighting an ongoing war, and walls do get built, buy catapaults immediately. Or get a peace treaty. The sooner a war ends, the better off you are.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

Military Engineers can build roads.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
In some game a while ago I got a "naturalist" that was supposed to do something something nature park whatever. I couldn't figure out how to use him and just parked him somewhere, hoping he's become useful eventually. Then I won the game and that was that. In my latest game toward the end I noticed that Spain also had one of those guys sitting around doing nothing, so now I'm wondering what that unit is supposed to do? The Civopedia is incredibly unhelpful.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

botany posted:

In some game a while ago I got a "naturalist" that was supposed to do something something nature park whatever. I couldn't figure out how to use him and just parked him somewhere, hoping he's become useful eventually. Then I won the game and that was that. In my latest game toward the end I noticed that Spain also had one of those guys sitting around doing nothing, so now I'm wondering what that unit is supposed to do? The Civopedia is incredibly unhelpful.

Pretty sure they make National Parks and you buy them with faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You know what's dumb? National parks have to be in a vertical diamond shape, so you can't parkify the Pantanal. I don't know why they'd do that.