Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

rabidsquid posted:

I've never had anyone use Raise offensively on me in Arena :confused:

I don't think the AI is capable of targeting opponents with Raise... but you can certainly do it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Got my second Locke on the half-price.

That's neat, but I really want Garland...

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
The worst is seeing a 1.5 ratio opponent in arena, resetting the game to avoid crashing, then coming back and having them replaced with a 1.18 ratio. Or holding your orbs and waiting for the next opponent refresh, only to have the next set be even crappier ratio wise.

I'm hugging the 2-3k mark so there IS incentive for me to try for the most optimal path, but ugh, it's such a pain in the rear end and so blatantly gumi/alim Grindy micro management bullshit. Think I'm just going to say gently caress it and fight whomever whenever. So not worth stressing out over.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't think I've ever seen higher than a 1.2 ratio in the arena.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
With Thanksgiving coming up, I wish they would edit some units to have a Thanksgiving Theme. Bedile in a pilgrim outfit and hat please, thanks. :lol:

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Just cleared out a bunch of inactives. Got an okay COD. Not great but....okay.

Sorry I'm not a white whale goons but if you want some COD human killing you got it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Armitage posted:

With Thanksgiving coming up, I wish they would edit some units to have a Thanksgiving Theme. Bedile in a pilgrim outfit and hat please, thanks. :lol:

Soon as they dress Fina up in a sexy Pocahontas outfit, the internet would scream about unjust cultural appropriation.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I don't think I've ever seen higher than a 1.2 ratio in the arena.

It's gotten way rarer since the first week, and is still really random. Sometimes I can pick and choose from multiple 1.5s. Other times, <1.2. It's basically a system that rewards checking in frequently, which is pretty drat obnoxious, but I guess par for the gumi/alim experience.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Shark Tower posted:

The worst is seeing a 1.5 ratio opponent in arena, resetting the game to avoid crashing, then coming back and having them replaced with a 1.18 ratio. Or holding your orbs and waiting for the next opponent refresh, only to have the next set be even crappier ratio wise.

I'm hugging the 2-3k mark so there IS incentive for me to try for the most optimal path, but ugh, it's such a pain in the rear end and so blatantly gumi/alim Grindy micro management bullshit. Think I'm just going to say gently caress it and fight whomever whenever. So not worth stressing out over.

lmao are you really trying to blame your sperging over arena on Gumi

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Yes.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

counterpoint:

it's arena

who gives a poo poo

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

AegisP posted:

Supposedly complaints from the people injecting about being banned started as soon as the announcement went up, so it seems like they've begun cracking down. But yea, those Gengi Glove ones are hilariously blatant.

please link or quote the tears

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

getting a good arena ratio on opponents is literally the only thing i give a poo poo about in arena because all i care about is arena medals

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

please link or quote the tears

I was just browsing one of the good riddance subreddit threads thanking Gumi for cracking down on the injectors, and people in there were relaying quotes and impressions of the cheater forums (I wasn't even aware they had their own community).

Speaking of the subreddit though, there's an AMA going on with a former Gumi employee. Lot of interesting behind the scenes information on how everything works. Seems like from his description, SQEX has a lot more direct input on Global. FF7 was supposedly to be planned for the end of this year, at least for the JP version, but it might still be up in the air.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5e9o9l/good_riddance/ it's a 500+ post thread but full of beauty

e: includes screenshot of a 2x CoD 3x Lightning arena player that brought many their first losses

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
aaaand another random crash on Arena, costing me another streak
This was literally starting the game up 6 minutes ago.

If its a memory leak thats causing that, jeez how bad is it

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ I managed to hit my 100 streak yesterday and haven't hit arena crashes on an iPhone 6S, though the game is closed/restarted often throughout the day which helps too. The auto-loss thing is likely them taking a lesson form Brave Frontier, since for a long time people could and would force close the game to avoid losses.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Just wait until she's getting +150% limit break. It's called Endless because the ride never stops!

Your Maxwell + buddy Maxwell = 65 hit elemental chain that can and will fill LB gauges when hitting multiple targets. Also everyone else can easily chain for maximum damage because Endless lasts about 10x as long as a move like chainsaw.

Anyone who also manages to get units like Orlandu can just make it even more ridiculous by adding in more holy damage and holy weakness.

Shoenin posted:

How are they even doing this?

are they changing the game's code directly or something?

Yes.

Basically you indict info that tells the server "hey when I killed X a chest appeared and contained [whatever the gently caress you want from the database]." As long as it exists in the game files you can get it.

Gumi's always monitored and banned for that poo poo though. Someone having a Genji Glove on before Gilgamesh is available is on par with the people who'd have multiple Maxwells with the dev-only subtype and unreleased unreleased or unique spheres equipped. There are plenty of games that have built in serverside systems to send alerts any time something from a restricted list drops where/when it shouldn't, or other things that shouldn't be possible happen. Not sure if Gumi has any systems setup like that but if they do then it's comically easy to ban people who inject stuff they shouldn't have.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Since it seems Full Break is The More The Merrier for next event/banner I've put Vaan up for a friend unit, six free slots: 760,951,475

A single whale 6* easily outdamages my make nuker team unleashing their LBs in a chain so you shouldn't need the help of him but maybe someone does :arghfist:

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I have CoD, Exdeath, and Bartz available as a friend companion. I'm guessing Exdeath will be the most useful? Doubt he's going to see anything other than the inside of Earth Shrine when you opt to take him though, lol.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

MrLonghair posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5e9o9l/good_riddance/ it's a 500+ post thread but full of beauty

e: includes screenshot of a 2x CoD 3x Lightning arena player that brought many their first losses

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Dude really wanted his Burst Shots.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
What the hell are Crests and Jeweled/EXP Keys?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Shoenin posted:

If you know the answer to that question you are a very bad boy.

happyalloy
Mar 18, 2009
As a player who is unlikely to ever macro in this game, I find myself torn on which to use my Trust Moogles on: Dual Wield or Dual Cast. Which of the two would be more useful; or, rather, which of the two makes it more likely that I can handle tougher content? For reference, my A team right now is Cecil, Refia, CoD, Agrias, Arc, and soon ExDeath (when his 6-star hits). I also have Maxwell, Chizuru, Kefka, Rydia, and WoL on the bench. Thanks!

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

happyalloy posted:

As a player who is unlikely to ever macro in this game, I find myself torn on which to use my Trust Moogles on: Dual Wield or Dual Cast. Which of the two would be more useful; or, rather, which of the two makes it more likely that I can handle tougher content? For reference, my A team right now is Cecil, Refia, CoD, Agrias, Arc, and soon ExDeath (when his 6-star hits). I also have Maxwell, Chizuru, Kefka, Rydia, and WoL on the bench. Thanks!

Dual Wield no contest. Chiz is going to be a beast with DW at 6*.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Typically Dualwield. You do have Refia, though, and Dualcast on Refia on a fight like Maxwell needs to be seen to be believed.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

happyalloy posted:

If you want to stay F2P my advice is to go for DualCast. Refia or Cecil or another Mage later on, hell even a MAG CoD can benefit from it.

If you want to pull some stuff and see yourself with a solid physical attacker in the near future go for DualWield.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shoenin posted:

Inexplicable items like that are traditionally dummied out dev tools or future content that hasn't been released yet, usually.

Or maybe the injector just got 25 tubes of toothpaste.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

aaaand another random crash on Arena, costing me another streak
This was literally starting the game up 6 minutes ago.

If its a memory leak thats causing that, jeez how bad is it

What are you even playing on, man?

AegisP posted:

I was just browsing one of the good riddance subreddit threads thanking Gumi for cracking down on the injectors, and people in there were relaying quotes and impressions of the cheater forums (I wasn't even aware they had their own community).

Speaking of the subreddit though, there's an AMA going on with a former Gumi employee. Lot of interesting behind the scenes information on how everything works. Seems like from his description, SQEX has a lot more direct input on Global. FF7 was supposedly to be planned for the end of this year, at least for the JP version, but it might still be up in the air.

Squeenix doesn't want us to have Japan-level rewards?

Looking forward to Squall. I'm gonna whale for Squall.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Squeenix doesn't want us to have Japan-level rewards?

I'd offer, instead, that Squeenix doesn't want to pad out our time with lovely Type-0 and FF13 banners featuring characters that nobody in the US really actually likes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shoenin posted:

Things that are not actually releases in the global version and haven't been mentioned in any way, shape, or form IIRC.

happyalloy posted:

Dual wield, no question about it. If I ever get a Zidane (or by some miracle, gilgamesh) I'm dumping my moogles in to them pretty much immediately since I'm sitting around 75-80% worth of trust right now and dual wield is an absolute must-have for top tier units that don't have it natively.

KataraniSword posted:

I'd offer, instead, that Squeenix doesn't want to pad out our time with lovely Type-0 and FF13 banners featuring characters that nobody in the US really actually likes.

Both are true. It's no secret that Japan is the most lucrative mobile market on the planet in terms of revenue per user. Part of the reason they shower users with freebies is because the ROI is just that much better and there's no shortage of options for anime mobile games there. :japan:

And yeah, nobody gives a poo poo about Type-0, though FF13's other banner is probably still going to be decently popular, but not on the level that FF7 is going to be when it comes out eventually.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stumped on what to use a few summon tix on. For BF I could really use Tillith, but that's it (well Elza but I don't factor in chances at Rainbows). Dark Destroyers I could really use CoD (and DKC, but yeah, Rainbow) and already have Garland. The upcoming one I already have Butz and Exdeath so could only use Gilgamesh. Leaning towards trying to get CoD since its only a 3* and I have Refia to heal for now. Really though I just awakened Butz to 5 so I have a pretty decent backlog of units to level with 6* Ex and him coming up.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
it's raining karma

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Somebody once told me metal gods can show up at the 8 NRG event. Guess it's the kind of stranger my parents warned me for when I was a little kid.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
gently caress off, stupid game, I run 200% karma gain all the time and the one time I need to pick a lesser boost you give me metal gods. You're garbage and I hate you and I'm glad this event will be over and I'll bitch about Gilgamesh instead.

edit: on the flip side my Cecil has 6.2k health now and auto-boosts below 50% HP.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 23, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MohShuvuu posted:

it's raining karma

I got 2-1-3 for metal gods yesterday but only a 200% bonus. drat you people getting BF characters from these dumb banners. :argh:

Only had a solo metal god so far today in the dozen or so runs I've had. Sitting around 60k karma and need around 70k or so total to grab the trust moogle and the other stuff I want to collect from the event, like all the 6* materials and one or both demonic materia, for arena use or whatever. Need those Gigantaurs and evolution items though for the 3 Exdeaths I need to get evolved (and two need to be leveled from 4* still).

e: Complaining works, got a 3 metal god group 2 runs after this post. Another 9k karma collected. :toot:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 24, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

with maxwell/seria/elza i get 12k from the triple metal god which i got again today. hp 15% is left and i dunno about that one honestly. magic is too but fuuuuck that, i'd rather tm grind with that energy

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
I am currently in a race to see if I can get the moogle as well - about 23/35 toward it as of this post.....can he do it folks?!?!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Im still trying to do the Limit burst for Maxwell

Prolly not gonna happen, but w/e I got the fucker with the res thingy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Debating doing an 11 pull on the next event just to get an Exdeath.

I've traditionally have had a very strong mage team but with Exdeaths 6* coming I could easily pull him and be set for a while. On the other hand I could probably get him with a half pull too.

So many choices

• Locked thread