Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastershakeman posted:

wootles , thanks. I'm sure I wont make the effort but it would be a funny case to see

lol the football school hired a giant biglaw firm for this. They want to play in the championship game really bad it seems

If you find a link to the complaint please share it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 13, 2021

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pook Good Mook posted:

Another job searching related question:

Anyone know people who clerked for a state court of appeals and went to work in a different state after they finished? Put another way, are state court of appeals clerkships seen as good experience by anyone other than local firms?

Anyone have any insight on this question?

I wouldn't be pushy, but I really should e-mail the judge back with a yes/no to an interview request.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

I wouldn't be pushy, but I really should e-mail the judge back with a yes/no to an interview request.

I haven't clerked and don't plan to but I would do some research if you can find any on the judge's former clerks and where they ended up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastershakeman posted:

wootles , thanks. I'm sure I wont make the effort but it would be a funny case to see

lol the football school hired a giant biglaw firm for this. They want to play in the championship game really bad it seems

Judge Kennedy ruled against Fenwick and for the IHSA.
http://deadspin.com/judge-will-deci...dium=socialflow

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If you applied for a clerkship and a judge called to set up an interview you go to the interview. The time to make this decision was back when you applied.

That said, clerkships are neat. If I were hiring someone from out of state, then I would see one as a mark that this person has some ability to write and do legal research and did well in their class etc. if it's out of state there's less value because the former clerk doesn't have inside baseball knowledge of the workings of relevant courts or judges.

Other relevant considerations are the quality of the state bench. I would respect someone who clerked for, e.g., the Colorado Supreme Court because I've heard that's a pretty solid court that has high standards. But other states are different.

Regional knowledge matters way more for trial court clerkships. My friends who did federal district court clerkships have a really good handle on how each federal judge and magistrate in our district approaches certain types of motions. But they have no clue about, say, Montana. Appellate knowledge is different because most attorneys do rarely practice in front of appellate courts that nobody cares about individual judges' peculiarities. Plus you draft pleadings before knowing the panel.

These are my rambly thoughts. Good luck deciphering them.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ulmont posted:

The only comment to the article is pure gold. :lol:

quote:

My buddy Kyle, his dad was a judge, and we were playing touch football in the street when we were six or seven, maybe ten, and my other friend Mike was quarterback and he was like “Go deep, way deep” and Kyle ran for, I dunno, had to be seven or eight seconds, just forever,and I was covering him and by then we were like three houses down and Mike was a good quarterback but no seven- or ten-year old has an arm that good so all of a sudden Mike takes a loving knee, Kyle laughs and says “What the hell Mike” but then quickly says “I’m up 56-49 aren’t I” and the next second Kyle’s dad comes out and he’s like “Gettin dark boys, game’s over!”

I guess what I’m saying is, gently caress Kyle, and gently caress judges who decide football games all willy-nilly like.

Also fast forward twelve years and guess who gives me the harshest DUI available on the books? Fuckin Kyle’s dad. Builds character my rear end, you old racist.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arcturas posted:

If you applied for a clerkship and a judge called to set up an interview you go to the interview. The time to make this decision was back when you applied.

That said, clerkships are neat. If I were hiring someone from out of state, then I would see one as a mark that this person has some ability to write and do legal research and did well in their class etc. if it's out of state there's less value because the former clerk doesn't have inside baseball knowledge of the workings of relevant courts or judges.

Other relevant considerations are the quality of the state bench. I would respect someone who clerked for, e.g., the Colorado Supreme Court because I've heard that's a pretty solid court that has high standards. But other states are different.

Regional knowledge matters way more for trial court clerkships. My friends who did federal district court clerkships have a really good handle on how each federal judge and magistrate in our district approaches certain types of motions. But they have no clue about, say, Montana. Appellate knowledge is different because most attorneys do rarely practice in front of appellate courts that nobody cares about individual judges' peculiarities. Plus you draft pleadings before knowing the panel.

These are my rambly thoughts. Good luck deciphering them.

The screwed up thing is that I never applied for this judge, I applied for a few state Supreme Court judges and I guess this court of appeals judge got my application from some sort of database.

I'll probably still wind up taking the interview though, seems like a clerkship can never really count against you, just some are less valuable than others when it comes to "inside baseball" networking things.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 23, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ulmont posted:

I should have gone. I can't believe the judge actually ruled instead of doing a jurisdictional punt

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Anyone else have clients that you send them an email with a document that has "[Firm] DRAFT" in the header and the email has three itemized questions for the client and the points of the document open for the answers of those questions are bracketed, highlighted and footnoted, then the client doesn't respond to the email, then next week you send them a heads up to check in, and the heads up sends them into a panic and they reply to all of your previous emails with "are these final versions?"?

Or is it just me today?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

I have a friend who went from WA Supreme Court clerkship --> California firm. And conversely, I've been on interview panels for out-of-state clerks. It definitely goes to your qualifications, though it might elicit a couple questions about why you're interested in a job in this state in particular.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

algebra testes posted:

Did anyone's fantasy hopes get dashed by that rigged game in Mexico City :lol:

I sure thought I won when crabtree had that ball going to the ground in the endzone, had it a lot longer than jordy nelson did on Sunday. Stupid football.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

mastershakeman posted:

I should have gone. I can't believe the judge actually ruled instead of doing a jurisdictional punt

It's for the best; otherwise you'll see every bad officiating decision in high school sports wind up in a courtroom

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Anyone do/have done government contract procurement work? Might have an opportunity to get a state govt job gig looking at IT contracts all day, and I'm wondering if I'd be contemplating (more) self harm should I find myself doing such work.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Glambags posted:

Anyone do/have done government contract procurement work? Might have an opportunity to get a state govt job gig looking at IT contracts all day, and I'm wondering if I'd be contemplating (more) self harm should I find myself doing such work.

You can completely turn your brain off.

"Here's our form, the state doesn't let us change anything you asked for, have a nice day."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Glambags posted:

I currently do it. It is fairly boring. Even if you do the procurement appeals side of things, where you do mini-trials. Large parts of your time are spent emailing poo poo back and forth, asking some agency to supply more information, at which, invariably, they fail. But you do get decent experience, which if you're interested in eventually going private, is worth a lot, since procurement appeals are usually done by big companies looking to spend a poo poo ton of money abusing whatever inefficient process your state has.

Still better than billable hours though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Talking to a lawyer about work insomnia today.

"You know how I deal with it? Benadryl and booze. And that's how you should too."

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

CaptainScraps posted:

Is "work insomnia" when you can't sleep in the office?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CaptainScraps posted:

"You know how I deal with it? Benadryl and booze. And that's how you should too."
What kind of bitch uses babby's first sleep aid?

Ambien or nothing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ani posted:

Is "work insomnia" when you can't sleep in the office?

More like "You know you have a hearing, you know everything will be fine, you've done this a thousand times. And yet you can't loving stop thinking about it and it's 4 in the goddamned morning."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

More like "You know you have a hearing, you know everything will be fine, you've done this a thousand times. And yet you can't loving stop thinking about it and it's 4 in the goddamned morning."

sounds like you could use one (1) screaming baby who will wake you up enough that your sleep will be incredibly restful when you're actually able to snooze

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

mastershakeman posted:

sounds like you could use one (1) screaming baby who will wake you up enough that your sleep will be incredibly restful when you're actually able to snooze

Been there when even that doesn't work. Talk to me when you wake up and see the clock every hour throughout the night for months on end.

Sometimes it really doesn't matter how much you should be able to sleep. You just don't sleep, and it can go a very, very long time.

P.S. Sincere kudos on the "one (1)." A thing of beauty.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

gvibes posted:

What kind of bitch uses babby's first sleep aid?

Ambien or nothing.
The Ambien thread is the best/worst thread in TCC.

quote:

I took some on a friday night, and remember coming to, and looking at my watch and saw that it was sunday night. A whole loving day disappeared, and I don't remember a second of it. I had poo poo to do too.

I also noticed that my very expensive carbon fiber road bike was gone. And that made me freak out. I just hoped that I wasn't too hosed up and stupid to not use my lock wherever I left it. I am a fiend for ice cream, so I figured if I took it anywhere, it was to the grocery store. So I drove there and sure enough it was there locked up. I road the bike home, walked back, and drove my car home.

Also, I believe that on the saturday that disappeared from my memory, I had gone to a yard sale, or a swap meet, and bought a repair manual for a 1973 datsun, and a book on the history of poor black children in America. The books were neatly placed on my bed.

Not gonna look at my text messages, if I even left any.

quote:

We are like pretty sure my exes sister wants my d, nut she flu ever wants to ralj while I'm walrusinf. So I say ducked up things. No she is being very sweet and kind and most of the time she is a pardon oval office. She's very attractive but in an emotionally vulnerable place and is girlfriends sister but I think we were meant to be?

quote:

I found 4 or 5 old ambien pills when I was cleaning up my room yesterday and it's been a while so I thought "what the gently caress". So last night after I got home from going out with friends at about midnight I take all five of the pills and chew them up. I remember being really, really high for like 10 minutes then everything after that is black. I just woke up at 11:30am to find that my shirt is covered with dried toothpaste, I have dried toothpaste smeared all over my face and stuck in my beard and apparently I spent almost $50 on Crusader Kings II expansions and portrait packs and MOTHERFUCK GODDAMNIT

Last time I did ambien years ago I ended up going for a 4am drive on the freeway and ultimately drove my car into my closed garage door, so this walrus experience was at least a step up from that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I feel for people unable to ignore their child and their dumbass caseload simply by downing a few glasses of vodka

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Sex
Snuggle
Sleep

Repeat as needed.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

lol

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I take ambien non-abusively and I woke up having sent a perfectly crafted letter and resume to be production manager on a series of indie shorts. I have never done anything film or theater related in my life, ever. I got the job. They were bad.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Just work for your local election office so you have to stay up all night at least once every two years.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

echopapa posted:

Just work for your local election office so you have to stay up all night at least once every two years.

Had six figures on the line in this general election. Backed Hillary like a normal person. Stayed up all night to make a small profit while hating life in general. Repeat every four years from now until the end of time as Trump just makes us all tired of winning

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Notepad on the night stand, and vomit up everything your brain can't stop working through onto paper.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Adar posted:

Had six figures on the line in this general election. Backed Hillary like a normal person. Stayed up all night to make a small profit while hating life in general. Repeat every four years from now until the end of time as Trump just makes us all tired of winning

I was so confident in the election when the early Nevada votes broke the way they did and was thinking it was impossible for her to lose due to the blue wall. my predictit winnings fell apart, just like when Cruz beat Rubio for 2nd in South Carolina despite the Haley endorsement. I'm bad at predictit

to my friends I'm known as super great at guessing this stuff since I called the Sarah Palin vp choice really early but looks like past performance doesn't guarantee future results

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 3, 2016

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I was saying Nevada made the ultimate firewall and it was impossible for her to lose unless Trump found a few million missing white voters specifically in the Midwest for six months, then forgot the unless part of the equation because what could possibly go wrong

on the bright side now we're probably never going to see a cross-party appointment as head of an important state agency ever again

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Adar you didn't lose 6 figures though did you?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No, he dropped out of law school I think

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I did lose six figs on law school unfortunately*

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No I netted like $1500 when all was said and done but selling Hillary and buying Pres.Trump shares wasn't fun

*it was the greatest three years of my life because no class attendance was involved and I lived in a frat house with my girlfriend turned wife, A+ would recommend everything except the followup part

Adar fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 3, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Adar posted:

I couldn't remember if you actually did drop out or not but I took a risk on the joke anyway :negative:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Adar posted:

No I netted like $1500 when all was said and done but selling Hillary and buying Pres.Trump shares wasn't fun

*it was the greatest three years of my life because no class attendance was involved and I lived in a frat house with my girlfriend turned wife, A+ would recommend everything except the followup part

You're an expat living on a godforsaken island betting on our future.

I love you.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I'm not even the Michigan grad furthest away from the mainland ITT

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
So I think I've hit that point where I'm getting pushed out of big law, after finishing my 3rd year (corporate). It pretty much blindsided me - the past year has been the best I've had, but the main partner I work for has been pretty weird to me the last few weeks, culminating in a lovely review and not moving ahead in class year/salary. I'm not fired, but it sounds like that's a year away. Basically I was hired to replace an 8th year associate and, big surprise, I can't, so I'm of not much use/too far behind. I wasn't planning on staying at a law firm forever and I knew this would happen eventually; I was just hoping to wait another year before I moved somewhere else.

So where do I go from here? I'm not knowledgeable enough or non-goony enough to start my own place and get my own clients. I think in-house is the way to go, but where I am (Orange County, CA) there just aren't a ton of opportunities that come up. And per this thread's frequent advice, I've looked for federal/state government jobs but yet to see a legal position in my area.

Further evidence for the OP of this thread: I did everything right - went to a good school after they gave me money, got into biglaw doing what I "wanted" to do - but at the end of the day, this profession will make you hit your limits and then spit you out on the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you have to stay in your area and can't find a law job, go teach high school or something and contribute to society. You'll need at most a year of training classes that you can find plenty of money to pay for in the form of grants/scholarships, and then you can go teach high school civics or something.

edit: Quick googling shows that you could get a job in california teaching school while they pay you to get your teaching certification. So, there's always that as an option. You could go get your Michelle Pfeiffer on in some inner-city LA school.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 4, 2016