Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
imma liberal i love diversity in institutions that don't affect me, also it can't be economic or political diversity smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

temple posted:

Please be nice to white people.

"Well my family didn't own slaves"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

temple posted:

Agreed. Hopefully you learned that idea in kindergarten and then as you grew and met other non-white people you applied the same ideas to them too! Then were able to refine your idea into "please be nice to people."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"Well my family didn't own slaves"

Same friend. Though that is a surprisingly common thread for 99.9% of people in the US. You know who did own slaves? The same people who are currently owning the rest of us.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Okay but gently caress neo Confederates

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

temple posted:

It IS good to be nice to people, no matter what the color of their skin.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

I have several friends who went to elite east coast prep schools + ivy leagues and their grieving process is continuing unabated, they are apparently working through their pain by sharing guardian/slate thinkpieces about how Hillary Did Nothing Wrong

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I think it's more accurate to say "the oppressors have traditionally been white" than to say "whites traditionally are the oppressors". Whites in general have a lot of privileges that were granted to them on the basis of their skin color, but most of them are incidental, or specifically designed to control them into acting against their own best interest. I think "oppressor" is a term that should really be reserved for those with a modicum of actual political power, and that has not generally applied to the majority of white people.

Ehh, perhaps the language is too strong, but even if the majority of American whites aren't members of the capitalist class, the majority of American whites have enjoyed the benefits of subsidy at the expense of minorities in one way or another.

gently caress this. How do I get involved? I live in south Texas and I legit just want to start making the world a less lovely place with my own two hands. (No I will not kill my are self)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Serf posted:

Speaking as someone from a southern state, the sooner Democrats drop the gun control issue the better. I know way too many people who refused to vote for Clinton on the basis that "she wants to take our guns". Absolutely hated Trump and didn't vote for him, but also refused to vote for Democrats as well. Gun control is a losing issue for losers. There's a reason why the Blue Dog Democrats were able to hold on for as long as they did.

I live in an area that votes nearly 90% for Democrats and still I know very few people who are passionate supporters of gun control beyond basic stuff like universal background checks, all of the passion is on the pro-gun side.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Heaven Spacey posted:

Ehh, perhaps the language is too strong, but even if the majority of American whites aren't members of the capitalist class, the majority of American whites have enjoyed the benefits of subsidy at the expense of minorities in one way or another.

Yes, historical benefits of racism still linger today. So therefore?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LinYutang posted:

I have several friends who went to elite east coast prep schools + ivy leagues and their grieving process is continuing unabated, they are apparently working through their pain by sharing guardian/slate thinkpieces about how Hillary Did Nothing Wrong

:same:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It is in our best interest to insure that the victory for our cause is also in the best interest of the groups they belong to and arise from, because then they'll be a lot less inclined to continue being neo confederates and a lot less able to attract new recruits.

gently caress them, but not in a way that we gently caress ourselves if it all possible.

temple posted:

The hottest of takes, but you may have me confused with someone else. I don't actually advocate being nice to anyone, only against being stupid and horrible.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How much of the Democratic death-grip on the issue of gun-control comes from the affluent, white end of the party being scared of poor POC.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Yes, historical benefits of racism still linger today. So therefore?

therefore gently caress bernie bros!!!!!!!! :saddowns:

Serf
May 5, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

I live in an area that votes nearly 90% for Democrats and still I know very few people who are passionate supporters of gun control beyond basic stuff like universal background checks, all of the passion is on the pro-gun side.

After we let Sandy Hook happen with little more than a collective "meh" from the government, we should've realized that battle was lost. Just drop it entirely. No need to go all-in on being pro-gun (but lol if you aren't already arming up), but just leave it at supporting the second amendment and focus on issues that aren't losers.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GlyphGryph posted:

It is in our best interest to insure that the victory for our cause is also in the best interest of the groups they belong to and arise from, because then they'll be a lot less inclined to continue being neo confederates and a lot less able to attract new recruits.

gently caress them, but not in a way that we gently caress ourselves if it all possible.

Yeah I'm all for the rising tide to lift all boats, and working to make sure it actually catches everyone. But I think we're going to have drag people kicking and screaming and just hope they realize they were helped. Like I hope they realize that their candidate's administration didn't help them when it probably fails to.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Heaven Spacey posted:

therefore gently caress bernie bros!!!!!!!! :saddowns:

haha. I'm pretty sure that's what all the current Hillary supporters will draw from 2016.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

How much of the Democratic death-grip on the issue of gun-control comes from the affluent, white end of the party being scared of poor POC.

Well that was the genesis of Gun Control in America, so I'd say 100%.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Of course they have, and it needs to be addressed. This does not actually make them the oppressors, though, it just makes the oppressors not-stupid.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think it's 100%
I'm active in a community that is minority-majority and they definitely care about guns.

If it was up to me, I'd shift the bulk of the debate to suicide and accident prevention.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think it's 100%
I'm active in a community that is minority-majority and they definitely care about guns.

If it was up to me, I'd shift the bulk of the debate to suicide and accident prevention.

And enforcing current federal law that makes straw purchasing/selling illegal, and that no one even cares about investigating for some reason.

quote:

In June of 2000, ATF published a study of 1,530 firearms trafficking investigations conducted during the period July 1996 – December 1998. That study, Following the Gun: Enforcing Federal Laws Against Firearm Traffickers,6 found that straw purchasing was the most common channel of illegal gun trafficking, accounting for almost one-half (46%) of all investigations, and associated with nearly 26,000 illegally trafficked firearms.7

Noted bloodlust driven gun-advocate is the only politician in recent memory who has even mentioned this as an issue. Goddamn the democrats are poo poo.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An email last night provided further detail on the upcoming meetings in Tennessee:

quote:

Dear GHF,

We will be holding debrief sessions soon to discuss this past election cycle - two in each Grand Division. These meetings will include a public debrief of the election, as well as discussion on how to move forward in the coming months. Dates are below. Please continue to follow us for updates regarding addresses.

Monday, November 28th - Memphis
Steamfitters Local 614
3746 Jackson Ave.
Memphis, TN 38108
7pm-9pm

Tuesday, November 29th - Jackson
Jackson Northside Lions Club
2998 North Highland Ave.
Jackson, TN 38305
In front of Northside High School
6pm-8pm

Wednesday, November 30th - Cookeville
Putnam County Democratic Party Headquarters
111 N. Cedar Ave.
Cookeville, TN 38501
6pm-8pm

Wednesday, December 7th - Morristown
Hamblen County Democratic Party Headquarters
402 S. Cumberland St.
Morristown, TN 37814
6pm-8pm (EST)

Thursday, December 8th - Sweetwater
Sweetwater City Hall
203 Monroe St.
Sweetwater, TN 37874
6pm-8pm (EST)

Friday, December 9th - Nashville
TBD
6pm-8pm

Thanks for all you do,
Mary Mancini
Chair, Tennessee Democratic Party

Tennessee is one of the states where Republicans have a supermajority in 33 of the state legislatures. With a total population of ~6.45 million, ~2.45 million voted in the presidential election out of the ~3.97 million registered voters (and ~3.31 million out of those being considered active). TN is also a state that contributed towards the Hillary for Victory fund, but has seen hardly anything of that used towards our own downticket races.

It will be interesting to see how these meetings unfold, because the state democratic party has had some difficulty in regaining any semblance of power in local politics outside of Nashville and Memphis. Frankly, I don't know how the party elections will shape up next month, but I really feel like there needs to be some serious changes made.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Nov 23, 2016

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Reminder that Bernie is probably the loudest voice pushing back against the DAPL, which is a big environmental justice issue that is significantly framed by minority demographics.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah I'm all for the rising tide to lift all boats, and working to make sure it actually catches everyone. But I think we're going to have drag people kicking and screaming and just hope they realize they were helped. Like I hope they realize that their candidate's administration didn't help them when it probably fails to.

"The rising tide that lifts all boats" is a supply side economics tautology. It doesn't even make loving sense on the surface, because all boats are level with the water regardless of the tide. The problem is how many people have lovely boats, or no boat at all.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"The rising tide that lifts all boats" is a supply side economics tautology. It doesn't even make loving sense on the surface, because all boats are level with the water regardless of the tide. The problem is how many people have lovely boats, or no boat at all.

Okay then a better turn of phrase. I think we're going to have to help them before we can get them to vote o be helped.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

we can all look back on Clinton's genuine, passionate support of the protesters. truly inspiring and full of substance

https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/797849471816265728

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

hillary clinton stands on the right side of systematic minority injustice unless it inconveniences oil workers

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

temple posted:

Hmm I've been trying this for 34 years and it got us Donny Trump, I think it's time for a new approach.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I got some waterwings with a hole that I have to keep plugged with a piece of chewing gum, thank god this tide is coming in.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Serf posted:

Speaking as someone from a southern state, the sooner Democrats drop the gun control issue the better. I know way too many people who refused to vote for Clinton on the basis that "she wants to take our guns". Absolutely hated Trump and didn't vote for him, but also refused to vote for Democrats as well. Gun control is a losing issue for losers. There's a reason why the Blue Dog Democrats were able to hold on for as long as they did.

I think this election that just gave neo-nazis a win is going to make a large number of Democrats rethink gun control.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

Hmm I've been trying this for 34 years and it got us Donny Trump, I think it's time for a new approach.

This is an interesting reading and I'd be fascinated to know the reasoning behind it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

And enforcing current federal law that makes straw purchasing/selling illegal, and that no one even cares about investigating for some reason.

Noted bloodlust driven gun-advocate is the only politician in recent memory who has even mentioned this as an issue. Goddamn the democrats are poo poo.

hey remember a few years ago when the Department of Justice knowingly allowed straw purchasers for Mexican cartels to buy a poo poo ton of guns in the US and then forgot to do anything after that point

that was pretty loving brilliant

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
You guys are doing it again!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

I think this election that just gave neo-nazis a win is going to make a large number of Democrats rethink gun control.

I was always the anti-gun person in my family. Now I'm brushing up on my target shooting because holy poo poo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Serf posted:

gun control is still a very important issue imo even if it's not popular

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

First magic genie lamp I find, y'all's guns are GONE.

I agree there are probably other political priorities to focus on, though.

loquacius posted:

e: new topic, say that the Internet's current long-shot obsession actually comes to pass and it's proven that the election was hacked by Russia and the real results favor Hillary. What does that mean for the Democratic Party going forward? Do we shake off the nightmare of the past few weeks and pretend they never happened, or do we retain the lessons we learned from our soul-searching and strive to Get Better even though we're not doomed to suffer under a dictatorial buffoon for four years?

In the unlikely event that Hillary somehow gets put into the Presidency after all either because Russian shenanigans are proven and/or the Electoral College does a thing, and the even more unlikely event that we survive the resulting civil war, I think there's absolutely a danger that we (as in the larger Democratic coalition who are all in this together) get complacent in our relief at dodging the apocalypse through no fault of our own. And also a danger that the lesson we learn is gently caress THE MIDWEST ANYWAY.

I do think that recounts/vote audits are a good idea (both as a matter of routine course and in this specific instance as things start to look more and more fishy). Not because the election will (or should) be overturned, and certainly not to absolve Clinton of her campaign fuckups, but so that we can determine what happened and how to prevent it happening again, since there's at least a theoretical chance that there will be elections again in 2018 and 2020.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

gun control is still a very important issue imo even if it's not popular

Agreed, the police have access to too many of them and have too little accountability to be trusted with them. Though I don't see that as an issue anyone is willing to support.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Also the fact that when we had gun laws that were stronger they seemed to be mostly used at those fighting for either social justice or economic justice.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm torn because vote recounts provide that 1% hope that I can wake up from this dream but at the same time jesus christ it makes you look bad and whiny

Sore/Loserman 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm happy for any effort to resist Trump's presidency, but yeah I'll let other people fight the recount battle.

• Locked thread