Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Never had a problem with cables (SS, Razer, Logitech) till I got an EC-1a, which is weird because everyone seems to think Zowie's cables are one of the better ones around. The cable is folded and twist-tied in the box (as opposed to a neat coil) so it forms a 'Z' shape which tends to make the cable bump into the keyboard, and when it does it acts as a spring because its make of a pretty elastic rubbery material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah, I saw that but was too tired to comprehend what exactly it was for. I've personally never noticed anything that would warrant that, and I've only had a desk where the mouse cord just hangs off the edge inches away for a year.

Yeah, I didn't have any problems with mouse cords until recently. I started playing fps games more seriously and went lower sensitivity, like a 12" 360, and constantly moving my mouse longer distances and back and forth was a lot harder without the bungee, it would get tangled etc.

For other stuff it doesn't make as much of a difference for sure, but it's still looks cleaner from a cable management perspective and it feels marginally better now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Put some 0.6mm "performance" mouseskates on my 502 and it feels very nearly as good as the stock Zowie EC series mousefeet, which I consider to be the best gliding ones.

They were like 89 cents on ebay with free month long shipping from china. Not sure how that company makes a profit.

If the 502 wasn't heavy as dogshit it would probably feel actually better than Zowie with these but the weight causes it to stick a bit going from a standstill to movement.

you could always mod the g502 to be lighter by cutting out the magnets and metal part of the scrollwheel (which is apparently 10g by itself???)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 20, 2016

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Put some 0.6mm "performance" mouseskates on my 502 and it feels very nearly as good as the stock Zowie EC series mousefeet, which I consider to be the best gliding ones.

They were like 89 cents on ebay with free month long shipping from china. Not sure how that company makes a profit.

If the 502 wasn't heavy as dogshit it would probably feel actually better than Zowie with these but the weight causes it to stick a bit going from a standstill to movement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...uff-from-china/

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Debating on the Logitech G403 wired vs wireless. I've never played games on a wireless mouse and I'm a little hesitant. I play mostly Quake/FPS games and would love to go wireless to ditch the wire snag feel. I'll be using this with a Zowie PTFX mouse pad. Anyone use it wireless and can comment? Does it weigh too much? I currently use the G400 but it's dying.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
Personally, I use a Razer Deathadder. I like it because it gives you 1:1 input (No acceleration by default), and gives you some pretty good tools for setting it up just the way you like. Aside from that, they run for about 60- 70 dollars (depending on where you look) which is pretty decent for a gaming mouse.

Generally speaking though, I'd say go with whatever mouse offers the features you want - but make sure it feels good in your hand. For me the shape of the deathadder is perfect.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thinking about going from G502 to a G900. Should be a significant weight reduction, right?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ufarn posted:

Thinking about going from G502 to a G900. Should be a significant weight reduction, right?

It's very noticeable yes. I much prefer the 900 over the 502 even just using the thing wired, going wireless helps a little bit more as well and removes any issues with cord drag. Though other than for really fast stuff like FPSs I don't really find the cord a big deal to leave on anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's very noticeable yes. I much prefer the 900 over the 502 even just using the thing wired, going wireless helps a little bit more as well and removes any issues with cord drag. Though other than for really fast stuff like FPSs I don't really find the cord a big deal to leave on anyway.
Do you notice a discernible difference in latency using it cordless in FPS? I want to play some Overwatch with it and was hoping to go all-wireless.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the g900 is supposedly 1.2ms slower in wireless. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=194#post464832635

personally I find it no different in everyday use

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's virtually the same as using a wired mouse and is really good with the best sensor.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah what those guys said, there's no perceivable difference going into wireless mode and I've played quite a lot of Overwatch with it. Also never seen it stutter or have any communication issues ever so it's been 100% reliable for me.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a logitech m510 to pair with my steam link for couch comfy computing. Think Firewatch and Obsidian RPGs, not anything twitchy. Are there any huge objections to it? I've never had a wireless mouse or keyboard before, and I'm just hoping to achieve "fine" as a level of quality, but I'd prefer not to throw lots of small amounts of money at this if a very slightly larger amount of money will satisfy.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is that shape going to be comfortable? That's the main thing. I had one like that and couldn't stand it for long gaming sessions. What's your hand size? Have you used one that shape before?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Best Buy has Logitech Gaming accessories 50% off with the code "PCGAMEDEAL" for the next 24 hours.

If your looking for a Logitech mouse some nice deals here. Seems like it 50% regular price not sale price though.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Also applies without the code for their sale later this week if you need more time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

axelord posted:

Best Buy has Logitech Gaming accessories 50% off with the code "PCGAMEDEAL" for the next 24 hours.

If your looking for a Logitech mouse some nice deals here. Seems like it 50% regular price not sale price though.

Also, I still have a slightly used G502 for sale, i didn't like the feel.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
What's the go-to mouse that has a switchable scroll wheel?

I've gone through two older model G502s, but both had problems when the wheel was locked. It's noticeable in games with inventory that's selected by scroll wheel: sometimes, the game wouldn't detect the scroll, and I would need to scroll again. It's a minor annoyance, but I'd like a mouse that doesn't have that problem that I can still switch to freescroll.

E: I should add that the problem was way worse before a firmware update. It used to occasionally scroll the wrong way. Now, it just skips sometimes.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 22, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I've never used a Logitech mouse that didn't do that, I'm pretty sure it's just a design flaw with their wheels. Had other company's mice do the same things too.

The reverse scrolling thing was some sort software bug though, obviously. Used to have to fix it by playing with some Windows settings.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Wish they had the G402 on that sale.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Anyone use the Logitech G440 mouse pad? I'm thinking of using that as a replacement for my FUNC pad.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Anyone use the Logitech G440 mouse pad? I'm thinking of using that as a replacement for my FUNC pad.

Yes, I did use it, and I've also used a func pad, if you have any specific questions. It's closer in texture to the rough side of the funcpad rather than the smooth side, but mice slid more smoothly over the G440 compared to the rough side of the func, maybe difference in materials used. The G440 surface is quite a bit more wear resistant than the ol' func surface 1030. After 2 years, the surface felt brand new. However, it's a classic mousepad construction; hard surface with a soft rubber backing so after ~2 years it started peeling a tiny bit. It still works fine though, the peeling didn't affect the function.

Lolcano Eruption fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 22, 2016

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Yes, I did use it, and I've also used a func pad, if you have any specific questions. It's closer in texture to the rough side of the funcpad rather than the smooth side, but mice slid more smoothly over the G440 compared to the rough side of the func, maybe difference in materials used. The G440 surface is quite a bit more wear resistant than the ol' func surface 1030. After 2 years, the surface felt brand new. However, it's a classic mousepad construction; hard surface with a soft rubber backing so after ~2 years it started peeling a tiny bit. It still works fine though, the peeling didn't affect the function.

Thanks, what do you use now and why the change?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The scroll wheel in my MX Master is acting up. It still works just not very well and if i spin it quickly to scroll fast it just doesn't move at all. Is there any easy way to deal with this?

edit: it seems to have fixed itself whatever was happening

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 23, 2016

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Thanks, what do you use now and why the change?

I use an old Icemat now. A lot of recent mice had trouble tracking on frosted glass mousepads , I suppose since it was not as common as it was back in the early 2000s so it wasn't tested for. But now my current mouse tracks on it just fine so I swapped back.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
What's the consensus on a mouse with 3-4 side buttons? I want them to be as muscle-memory compliant as a controller's buttons.

I'd like one as ergonomic/comfortable as Logitech usually is (I have a Zelotes with 6 thumb buttons, but they're numkeys 4-9 and it's not particularly comfortable).

I usually play FPS and twitchy stuff with mouse, and want to have two different grenades, push-to-talk, and whatever else at my thumb. What's my best option?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Jose posted:

The scroll wheel in my MX Master is acting up. It still works just not very well and if i spin it quickly to scroll fast it just doesn't move at all. Is there any easy way to deal with this?

edit: it seems to have fixed itself whatever was happening

What OS are you on, and what version of Logitech Options?

Once in a blue moon my wheel will get in a whacky state, I just unplug and replug the dongle and it starts working fine.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

What's the consensus on a mouse with 3-4 side buttons? I want them to be as muscle-memory compliant as a controller's buttons.

I'd like one as ergonomic/comfortable as Logitech usually is (I have a Zelotes with 6 thumb buttons, but they're numkeys 4-9 and it's not particularly comfortable).

I usually play FPS and twitchy stuff with mouse, and want to have two different grenades, push-to-talk, and whatever else at my thumb. What's my best option?

Can't find what the weight of the Zelotes is. If you're okay with a heavy mouse then G502 gives you a ton of buttons, 3 on the side, 2 next to the LMB, and the mouse wheel tilt left/right as well. All are remappable to whatever you want.

Less weighty is the G900 which has 2 thumb buttons, but you can have off-side buttons if you want, and also has wheel tilt left/right for extra functions.

Not sure what is the lightest mouse to have more than 2 thumb buttons though.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
The G602 is on sale for like 45 bux; anybody have experience with that? The G502 looks like a total sumbitch to get hold of.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kefkafloyd posted:

What OS are you on, and what version of Logitech Options?

Once in a blue moon my wheel will get in a whacky state, I just unplug and replug the dongle and it starts working fine.

windows 10 and idk about options. I was charging it though and once it hit fully charged it seemed to stop acting up

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Is there something out there similar to the old Logitech G9X?

I got one years ago when they came out (09 I think?) and it's finally dying... Well a few of the buttons anyway, and the scroll wheel is pretty gummed up at this point, despite my attempts to clean it. I was just going to go buy another one, but I can't find them for less than like $275, which I didn't pay anywhere near that amount the first time.

CYBER BOMBS
Feb 22, 2011

The G602 is on sale for like 45 bux; anybody have experience with that? The G502 looks like a total sumbitch to get hold of.

I used to have a G500 until the LMB broke literally 2 days after the 3yr warranty ended, been using a G602 for 2yrs now for gaming and general use and its pretty great. The extra thumb buttons are really handy for sticking alt weapons/reload/camera controls on in games.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

The G602 is my favorite mouse, having used almost every high-end mouse released by Logitech for the last several years. The battery life is insane, it's very comfortable to use (for me) and I have had zero issues with the wireless (using performance mode) playing games like Quake Live, Titanfall, DOOM etc. The only thing I don't like about it is how it looks, but ultimately that isn't high on my list of super important things I want in a mouse compared to everything else it offers.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Analog posted:

The G602 is my favorite mouse, having used almost every high-end mouse released by Logitech for the last several years. The battery life is insane, it's very comfortable to use (for me) and I have had zero issues with the wireless (using performance mode) playing games like Quake Live, Titanfall, DOOM etc. The only thing I don't like about it is how it looks, but ultimately that isn't high on my list of super important things I want in a mouse compared to everything else it offers.

Seconded, I love this mouse. The 6 side buttons get a lot of use for gaming for me. Well worth the purchase and feels incredibly solid. Got it after my metal button sidewinder died a few years back.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
Ended up with a G502. A little small compared to the last mouse I had, but the last one was like two fat bears taped together to make another fatter mega-bear.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ended up with a G502. A little small compared to the last mouse I had, but the last one was like two fat bears taped together to make another fatter mega-bear.

Sounds like you were using a Mionix Naos.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
No, the fatter mega-bear is the Func.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sounds like you were using a Mionix Naos.

I love my Naos, but it's time to replace it. Is there something out there that's a similiar size/shape, but is maybe one of those cool hybrid corded/wireless mice?

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

For anyone interested, the G900 is showing up at $74.99 on Amazon (US) as of right now. No idea how long it will last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Double Punctuation posted:

What's the go-to mouse that has a switchable scroll wheel?

I've gone through two older model G502s, but both had problems when the wheel was locked. It's noticeable in games with inventory that's selected by scroll wheel: sometimes, the game wouldn't detect the scroll, and I would need to scroll again. It's a minor annoyance, but I'd like a mouse that doesn't have that problem that I can still switch to freescroll.

E: I should add that the problem was way worse before a firmware update. It used to occasionally scroll the wrong way. Now, it just skips sometimes.

The reason you're getting this is because most modern mice use an optical sensor for their wheels instead of a mechanical switch, the clicks are added for feedback and have nothing to do with the actual mousewheelup function so they often go out of sync; it sucks. Incidentally this could also be the cause of the guy with the MX Master problems, could be a dirty sensor, if you feel like taking the mouse apart.

edit: I see now that you are having a different problem so never mind, that's what I get for skimming.