Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Where I think you are missing out is that they think this is good

I thought it was really dark coping humor at first and the more I read the less sure I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have some questions about Jews for Jesus. Are they Christians that have adopted Jewish customs or Jews that acknowledge Jesus (or Jeshua ben Joseph) as the Messiah? Or a mix of both? How far up the Jesus tree do they go-is it just that He's the Messiah, that He's also Son of God, or do they go full "Trinity Same-and-Different-substance"? Or is it all an excuse to have two sets of holidays?

Sorry if the questions sound silly, but I had a high school friend that was a JfJ, and at the time I felt like it was trying to have one's cake and eat it too.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Jews For Jesus are basically Jews with pre-millenialist dispensationalist Southern Baptist theology. Yeah they believe in the Trinity and that Jesus was the Messiah, and they support returning all Jews to Israel in order to start the Second Coming of Christ. They're more Christian than Jewish, although they follow traditional Jewish customs like keeping kosher, celebrating Passover, etc.

Now if you run into anyone saying that Christ can only be worshiped correctly through His divine name Yahshua...run. Fast. That's the Sacred Name cult.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
anything interesting about this cult? i like reading about a good cult or two

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
they're sprung from the same origin as the seventh-day adventists. unlike the messianics, they're pretty much all goyim, but they still think that we need to observe all the old testament laws in order to be saved. they also maintain that the original language of the new testament was aramaic, and think that the Latin name of Jesus is a false name derived from Zeus

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

anything interesting about this cult? i like reading about a good cult or two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHvohN5zUA4

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SirPhoebos posted:

I have some questions about Jews for Jesus. Are they Christians that have adopted Jewish customs or Jews that acknowledge Jesus (or Jeshua ben Joseph) as the Messiah? Or a mix of both?
A mix of both. I knew somebody who was a Jew for Jesus who was raised Christian but thought his paternal grandmother was probably Jewish. In any case, by definition of all Jewish groups, deciding that Christ was the Messiah is an absolute do-not-pass-go trip out of Judaism.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

you can follow jewish customs and be christian it's whatever

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

you can follow jewish customs and be christian it's whatever
It's just real weird more like.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Bel_Canto posted:

they're sprung from the same origin as the seventh-day adventists. unlike the messianics, they're pretty much all goyim, but they still think that we need to observe all the old testament laws in order to be saved. they also maintain that the original language of the new testament was aramaic, and think that the Latin name of Jesus is a false name derived from Zeus

Then you get groups like Twelve Tribes or the Roberts Brethren; suffice to say "we call Him Yeshua" is usually a good sign to turn around and walk the other way.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ceciltron posted:

I don't mind, but I'm not a jew

My Jewish friend gets mad at them

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Hoover Dam posted:

Then you get groups like Twelve Tribes or the Roberts Brethren; suffice to say "we call Him Yeshua" is usually a good sign to turn around and walk the other way.

Oh, the garbage eaters? That's just GBS.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Thankfully I discovered Orthodoxy before I went down the path of "maybe I could buy a prayer shawl & learn how to lay tefillin..."

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Moscow Mule posted:

Thankfully I discovered Orthodoxy before I went down the path of "maybe I could buy a prayer shawl & learn how to lay tefillin..."

My interest in Judaism was one of the things that brought me to Catholicism tbh. I've sort of been considering converting to Judaism for most of my life, and then at some point as a college atheist I read some article about how the Catholic mass ritual is adapted from Jewish temple rites. And I thought, maybe there's an offshoot of Judaism that fits me better:
- no cultural appropriation
- religious services arguably more fun
- family will understand
- community likely to accept me
- vastly bigger dating pool
- Jesus is kinda nice I guess
- holidays are already work free
So off to the nearest church I went.

Later I learnt about the various types of Jewish Christians, and I don't mind or anything, but if you're not from a Jewish background there's really no need to double up like that.

pidan fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 23, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Catholicism is 90% cultural appropriation. And it's good.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ceciltron posted:

Or expedient. I live in a nation with a protestant state church, and all our farming exports( which is a lot!) are halal and kosher and have been since the 70s for marketing reasons - and the church condones this because, loosely quoted, it doesnt harm anybody to respect others worship of God.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pidan posted:

Later I learnt about the various types of Jewish Christians, and I don't mind or anything, but if you're not from a Jewish background there's really no need to double up like that.

lol if u dont multiclass

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol if u dont multiclass

If being a christian worshipper of the old gods was good enough for a mighty jarl ca. 1060 it's good enough for me :black101:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol if u dont multiclass

Depends on the edition tbf.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Martin Scorcese finally got to make his passion project, a movie adaptation of Shūsaku Endō's novel about Jesuit missionaries in 17th century Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrgxZLd_gE

Well, I'm hype

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

System Metternich posted:

Martin Scorcese finally got to make his passion project, a movie adaptation of Shūsaku Endō's novel about Jesuit missionaries in 17th century Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrgxZLd_gE

Well, I'm hype

I am so looking forward to seeing this. An actual good Christian movie? And without spoiling anything, if Scorsese kept the same ending the novel has, evangelicals will hate it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I am so looking forward to seeing this. An actual good Christian movie?

Uh The Mission already exists

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the all-english trailer and goofy accents put me off it a bit. on the other hand how does this movie exist at all :pwn:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I want a Canticle For Liebowitz movie.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Uh The Mission already exists

The Mission, Romero, Calvary

uhh I think that might be it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
speaking of movies, many years to tom hanks, medal of freedom winner and Orthodox believer

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Phlegmatist posted:

The Mission, Romero, Calvary

uhh I think that might be it?

There are plenty of good Christian films. The Vatican even has an official list.

Sadly, it appears to be missing Jesus Christ Superstar, but then, nobody is perfect.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Samuel Clemens posted:

There are plenty of good Christian films. The Vatican even has an official list.

Sadly, it appears to be missing Jesus Christ Superstar, but then, nobody is perfect.

It has Metropolis, though.

Jesus Christ Superstar is better on stage, anyway.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuel Clemens posted:

The movie sucked. Though better than godspell

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Paladinus posted:

It has Metropolis, though.

Jesus Christ Superstar is better on stage, anyway.

Yeah the show is amazing, the first movie (don't watch the recent one) wasn't great but man their Judas and Jesus were brilliant singers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Yeah the show is amazing, the first movie (don't watch the recent one) wasn't great but man their Judas and Jesus were brilliant singers.

If by recent you mean the one from 2000, yeah, aesthetically it was really weird to say the least. But it had a great Caiaphas, and also my favourite rendition of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znz_GAqtUvQ

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i goddamn hate musical theater

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Paladinus posted:

If by recent you mean the one from 2000, yeah, aesthetically it was really weird to say the least. But it had a great Caiaphas, and also my favourite rendition of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znz_GAqtUvQ

Holy hell that was that long ago wasn't it.

:agreed: about Caiaphas.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HEY GAL posted:

Repent, heretic. (returns to blasting the soundtrack of ASSASSINS)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HlQja4HrVo

ee: Just to be crystal clear, I do not advocate assassination, nor does ASSASSINS. Far from it.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 23, 2016

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

quote:

Raised in the Russian Orthodox tradition, director Andrei Tarkovsky once told an interviewer, "I consider myself a person of faith, but I do not want to delve into the nuances and problems of my situation, for it is not so straightforward, not so simple, and not so unambiguous."

The most revered Russian filmmaker since Sergei Eisenstein, Tarkovsky offers an unabashedly religious worldview, without which, he wrote, "people cease to feel any need for the beautiful or the spiritual, and consume films like bottles of Coca-Cola."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/julyweb-only/foftarkovsky.html

It is possible that Parajanov also remained a committed christian, despite his sexual peccadilloes. I'm not sure what he believed in the end. I do know that I find the films of both Parajanov and Tarkovsky spiritually fulfilling.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

look at this wrong post here. just look at it. "gypsy" is one of the great works of american art right up there with the best of copland and ellington

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I mean, I'll take Sunday in the Park With George as my choice for transcendent musical theater.

"The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not."

It's a piece that has gotten me through some hard, dark times.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CountFosco posted:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/julyweb-only/foftarkovsky.html

It is possible that Parajanov also remained a committed christian, despite his sexual peccadilloes. I'm not sure what he believed in the end. I do know that I find the films of both Parajanov and Tarkovsky spiritually fulfilling.

I do find it funny that the best adaptation of the Gospels was directed by an avowed atheist.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CountFosco posted:

I mean, I'll take Sunday in the Park With George as my choice for transcendent musical theater.

For me, the one I played over and over was "I'm Still Here", from Follies.

"I've made it through Herbert and J. Edgar Hoover,
Gee, that was fun and a half.
Once you've made it through Herbert and J. Edgar hoover,
Everything else is a laugh."

Why am I not surprised that the Liturgical thread is all about Sondheim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

CountFosco posted:

The first act of SitPwG might actually be perfect. I saw it in my first year of grad school and literally wept for joy at intermission.

• Locked thread