Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

December 1 cannot come soon enough, then the thread will complain about the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

some asari have penises

discuss

h*cking NOICE!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

AriadneThread posted:

i checked in to see if anything new came out and holy christ what is happening in this thread

mass effect

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

rear end effect

NOICE

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zzulu posted:

mass effect

Yeah things are at about the same level they always are with this franchise.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
A new thread cycle is born. And the discussion of alien loving is always on the bottom. :v:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I am excited for the story-drama free multiplayer. Where I can turbomurder Kett and whatever other alien antagonists turn up with extreme prejudice.
I wonder what elements of the gameplay will change. For all the drama over ME3's story, the gameplay is really strong, and beyond all the technical improvements a new engine will bring, I don't know what they will/need to change about the core gameplay.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What's happening Dec 1st?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope vangaurds can jetpack into the sky then charge

sky-charging is the new meta

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Eastbound Spider posted:

My good friend have you heard of the rpg sensation of the century?

It's called E.Y.E:DIVINE CYBERMANCY

I haven't but I own it maybe ill start it up this weekend.

Also I wonder if new ME will have new classes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Suplex Liberace posted:

Also I wonder if new ME will have new classes.

New ME will have no classes. It's a tech/biotic/shooty free-for-all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i shall take the role of gunwizard

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

What's happening Dec 1st?

Video Game Awards featuring the gameplay reveal for ME:A

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Moola posted:

I wanna jetpack into the sky, then pull the person to me, then charge them in the face in mid-air.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Moola posted:

Codependent Poster posted:

I wanna jetpack into the sky, then pull the person to me, then charge them in the face in mid-air.

So basically Saints Row 4. I'm down.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zzulu posted:

So they give birth out of giant alien penises?? Or do they have buttbabies

these are critical questions

They probably reproduce by budding and the Asari spawn pop out the backs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A thought occurred to me the other day: Salarian males are the result of unfertilized eggs, right? So, ladies, imagine if every time you had a period, you instead dropped out a baby boy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Maybe they don't have penises but, like, biological turkey basters that slither out of their cooter like they smuggled an elephant up there and extract their mate's essence by sending that squirmy little cooter trunk up the cooter (or butt) of their fellow asari?

I think that's a legit theory. And if they ever drop their wallet or keys on the ground instead of bending over they just gotta squat a little bit and their cooter trunk can pick it up off the ground and put it back into their pocket.

really makes you think.

Welcome Back, Cooter

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've been playing the Mass Effect trilogy with the gimmick of rolling a dice for pretty much every decision, from what mission to do next, who to take on missions and plot decisions. It's been pretty good at making me do things I would normally never do. The dice are pretty loving blood-thirsty though, not only did it decide that Wrex should die in ME1 it also prevented me from buying life-saving Normandy upgrades in ME2, killed Samara to take Morinth, Mordin died in the vents and Zaeed died as squad leader.

I need to get back to that playthrough, stopped playing a little before finishing Tuchanka in ME3 to play other games a few months back.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

They probably reproduce by budding and the Asari spawn pop out the backs.

I hate you so much right now.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Chomp8645 posted:

This isn't why. I mean it may have contributed, but it should be obvious why so many people went with Soldier.

"Hmm... so this is a game where I am a member of the military who goes on special missions. Like a solider?"

"Hmm... I have my choice of three backgrounds. All three of them describe how I joined the military. I guess I'm a... soldier?"

"Hmm... I have my choice of three psychological profiles. All three of them describe a key moment in my military career... LIKE A SOLDIER????"

They railroaded people into that choice.

"Hmm... obviously the best party is both sexy alien ladies. What do I need for a balanced party? oh I know, male soldier".

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Unless my memory is faulty, you could use your companion's skills as your own in ME1, so Soldier was a pretty safe bet. Then you could take along the tech and biotic peeps and puppet them, while also being a war god.

They stopped that in 2, but did give me slow motion as a consolation prize. Dang that poo poo was OP.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

The armor is its own dialogue wheel option that pops up at the same point that the Paragon/Renegade speech checks do. I think besides convincing Saren to kill himself, it's the highest persuasion check in the game.

I'm not sure. I think the most difficult check was on Feros, the guy who takes hostages. I think you need the full 12 points in either one, as opposed to Wrex and Saren where I think you only need 10. I don't think you can do the guy on Feros without starting a new game plus.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Lt. Danger posted:

Witcher 3 is good but I think I like Witcher 2 better.

Really? Why?

For my money each Witcher game is better than the last. 2 probably has sharper and better-balanced mechanics than 3 but I found 3's story and characters a lot more compelling on the whole. (Also, for my money, 2 probably treats women the worst)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Never played a Witcher game, can I start with #3?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hedrigall posted:

I did and it's fine.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Really? Why?

For my money each Witcher game is better than the last. 2 probably has sharper and better-balanced mechanics than 3 but I found 3's story and characters a lot more compelling on the whole. (Also, for my money, 2 probably treats women the worst)

2 would have a lot better pacing if you literally can't help yourself and must visit every unexplored icon on the map. I'm with you in enjoying 3 more otherwise. I used to think that Witcher 3 not being a 'true' open-world game was a weakness, now I think of it as a mission and quest focused game that happens to mostly take place on the same map and it's a strength.

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not sure. I think the most difficult check was on Feros, the guy who takes hostages. I think you need the full 12 points in either one, as opposed to Wrex and Saren where I think you only need 10. I don't think you can do the guy on Feros without starting a new game plus.

You can if you go to Noveria first.

Also I just did my first completionist play through of ME1 and I can't believe people have been asking for the Mako back for 10 years :barf: Driving up cliffs for minerals is way, way worse than any horse racing, shard collecting nonsense from recent open-world games.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah it does a good job of bringing you up to speed and you'll get an interview bit where you'll get asked what happened to various characters from previous games. You probably won't know who they are but it's best to just answer that they are alive so that they appear in this game too.

In Mass Effect talk, in 1 I tended to play as either a vanguard or an infiltrator so that I could have the best team of Kaidan and Wrex / Garrus with me to balance out the talents.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

hampig posted:

2 would have a lot better pacing if you literally can't help yourself and must visit every unexplored icon on the map. I'm with you in enjoying 3 more otherwise. I used to think that Witcher 3 not being a 'true' open-world game was a weakness, now I think of it as a mission and quest focused game that happens to mostly take place on the same map and it's a strength.

I can't help myself, and I liked visiting all the ?s on the map except for the ones in the waters of Skellige. Because, holy gently caress, sirens is to Witcher 3 as wraiths is to Pillars of Eternity.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

hampig posted:

You can if you go to Noveria first.

Also I just did my first completionist play through of ME1 and I can't believe people have been asking for the Mako back for 10 years :barf: Driving up cliffs for minerals is way, way worse than any horse racing, shard collecting nonsense from recent open-world games.

90% of the time you shouldn't need to cliff-climb, there should be a path somewhere. Unfortunately the Mako lets you drive directly at any of the icons and eventually get there, so most people don't do that

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

I can't help myself, and I liked visiting all the ?s on the map except for the ones in the waters of Skellige. Because, holy gently caress, sirens is to Witcher 3 as wraiths is to Pillars of Eternity.

Hah those are the exact ones I was thinking of.

DarkHorse posted:

90% of the time you shouldn't need to cliff-climb, there should be a path somewhere. Unfortunately the Mako lets you drive directly at any of the icons and eventually get there, so most people don't do that

Sure, but the broader point is that the whole mineral-collecting, Mako driving exercise is thoroughly unrewarding, pace-killing tedium that is at least as bad as the worst offenders from open-world games.

hampig fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 24, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The appeal of the MAKO wasn't so much exploration as running over Geth.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If you really think about it Ciri is obviously a Vanguard and with her abilities maybe Ryder will find her on an uncharted world while exploring and....

hang on, I'm off to write Mass Effect / Witcher 3 fanfiction, it's gonna be so good guys :buddy:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Trast posted:

The appeal of the MAKO wasn't so much exploration as running over Geth.

I guess I can see that though especially during the mission sequences.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
running over geth is an amateur move

true pros punt them a mile away with the Mako's front bumper

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
:heysexy:

modedit: there were some creepy fanfic pics of a pregnant tali here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Somebody ban that dude.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well that's just awful and gross in every way

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Turns out the reapers were right all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009