Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

theblackw0lf posted:

Amway is now running our education department

(I'm partly joking. The DeVos family runs Amway but I don't think Betsy is that involved)

https://twitter.com/jenniferjjacobs/status/801484474877931520

Lmao I was expecting the only pyramid scheme to be Carson getting appointed somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

They're not going to do jack poo poo with student loans, huh

Except of course give kids student loans from their high school educations

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

disjoe posted:

Anything they do with it would be awful so its better that they don't touch it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

disjoe posted:

They are withdrawing the Federal Government as a guarantor of Federal Student loans. Effectively raising interest rates by about 2%. It hasn't been made clear if this applies to all student loans or only newly issued ones.

There was also vague talk about working with congress to reduce the burden on people who were paying student loans for more than 20 years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

disjoe posted:

Except of course give kids student loans from their high school educations

The "vouchers" for k-12 private schools will be loans.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wouldn't be so quick to say " they're not going to.." cause so far he's creating the Bad News Bears if political appointments

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Young Freud posted:

That's what they mean by "exploring the solar system by the end of the century". Trump's leaving that for 80 years for other Presidents.

I did say a while back that we're headed for the Expanse future, not the Culture future.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Hollismason posted:

We are not build space arks , we are not exploring more, we are just going to die as a species.

If its any consolation, the Congressional interests in human spaceflight are all still in office and more powerful than ever (and on all the appropriations committees importantly). They'll probably preserve at least their big budget programs, and a few of them have a real hard-on for Europa. I don't know what else could be counted on, but I'm pretty sure that exploration will continue to get funded just due to the entrenched GOP interests and power in that area who have been just ignoring proposed cuts to that area for the last few years. Probably no big plans or steps forward though, and we're going to have to be picking up the pieces of this for a long time. (The legacy of W's policy for human spaceflight was such a disaster that we had just been getting out of too) :smith:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Okan170 posted:

If its any consolation, the Congressional interests in human spaceflight are all still in office and more powerful than ever (and on all the appropriations committees importantly). They'll probably preserve at least their big budget programs, and a few of them have a real hard-on for Europa. I don't know what else could be counted on, but I'm pretty sure that exploration will continue to get funded just due to the entrenched GOP interests and power in that area who have been just ignoring proposed cuts to that area for the last few years. Probably no big plans or steps forward though, and we're going to have to be picking up the pieces of this for a long time. (The legacy of W's policy for human spaceflight was such a disaster that we had just been getting out of too) :smith:

All these worlds are Trump's, except Europa. Attempt no landing there.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Trump is going to gently caress the climate over so he can make a loving Snowpiercer train for him and his cronies (and a buncha bug eating slaves)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Back when Bloomberg appointed that Cathie Black as Chancellor of NY Schools, NY Daily News got a hold of the emails from that 3-month poo poo show:

quote:

The emails show that in the days after Bloomberg appointed Black as chancellor in November 2010, city officials quickly mobilized to drum up support for the former media exec, who had no experience in education and needed a special waiver from the state to qualify for the job.

The would-be chancellor also floated some names for the list. “Would we want ivanka trump? Think she would do,” Black wrote Lasher on Nov. 18, 2010. “I would skip,” came Lasher’s terse response.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Okan170 posted:

Congress has been trying the past few years to end funding to some of the long running lunar and Mars exploration probes (Oppy, LRO, and a few others) and not funding a replacement. The only reason congress likes a Europa lander is because it would require the SLS, which gives a fuckton of money and jobs to their states. They're not interested in the science (for the most part).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Welp, RIP Public Schools

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are withdrawing the Federal Government as a guarantor of Federal Student loans. Effectively raising interest rates by about 2%. It hasn't been made clear if this applies to all student loans or only newly issued ones.

:pwn: won't this just crash the entire industry? Who does this benefit?

e: I'm a loving moron, but I'm keeping my dumbass obvious question here for posterity

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Spaced God posted:

Congress has been trying the past few years to end funding to some of the long running lunar and Mars exploration probes (Oppy, LRO, and a few others) and not funding a replacement. The only reason congress likes a Europa lander is because it would require the SLS, which gives a fuckton of money and jobs to their states. They're not interested in the science (for the most part).

Exactly, but at least its something.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Okan170 posted:

Something that doesn't matter and won't provide any tangible benefit to us before we're wiped out.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

disjoe posted:

:pwn: won't this just crash the entire industry? Who does this benefit?

e: I'm a loving moron, but I'm keeping my dumbass obvious question here for posterity

It benefits creditors, like almost everything else that's lovely about our society.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Huh

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/801488932747837440

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's....a little weird

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Huzanko posted:

It benefits creditors, like almost everything else that's lovely about our society.

Yeah and later the industry will crash as students default and no one is paying the bills.

Then suddenly it's impossible to afford college without your family having a bunch of cash up front.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Okan170 posted:

"Yo, we tried to launch the SLS to go to Europa for the first time out of Kennedy but we couldn't"
Why?
"well earth sciences has no funding so we couldn't accurately measure the cat 6 hurricane about to hit us.
Also the sea level rose and claimed most of the complex.
But we still have a rocket that was built in the great state of Alabama and Georgia and Florida and.... "

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

poo poo is hosed but it can be helped in 2020. You guys are acting like Trump is now our eternal dictator.

No one is acting that way, but unrealistic optimism doesn't help get anything done. The problem here is that we moved the ball a few yards forward when we had it, but Republicans are planning to take the ball, leave the stadium, drive twenty miles in the wrong direction, encase it in concrete, and then bury it a hundred feet down. Republicans don't buy into the incrementalist philosophy that a lot of Democrats do and they aren't loving around when it comes to the level of regressive policy that they intend to pass. This isn't going to be the Republican version of Obama's first two years. The Republicans will pass their agenda and nothing short of a decade long permanent Democratic majority is going to undo the damage.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Democracy being saved from Trump by Jill loving Stein would be the best thing ever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

readingatwork posted:

Democracy being saved from Trump by Jill loving Stein would be the best thing ever.
Every time I think 2016 can't get any more ridiculous...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

If there's somehow enough evidence to say something hosed happened in those states, what then? Do they just throw out the known hosed votes or do a do over vote?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This recount poo poo has me on edge and I don't even know why.

I'm more worried about conclusive proof of election fraud/foreign involvement after Trump is already sworn in than this recount stuff in all honesty. I don't even know where we'd go from there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

This is a loving senseless world.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This recount poo poo has me on edge and I don't even know why.

Because if it were proved that Russia had hacked American voting machines to throw the presidency to their pet candidate, this would be an international incident on the level of 9/11 - an attack by a foreign power at the heart of US democracy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spaced God posted:

If there's somehow enough evidence to say something hosed happened in those states, what then? Do they just throw out the known hosed votes or do a do over vote?

Even if voter fraud gave Trump the election, there is basically no way the media or Republicans would let anyone stop him.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't see how that's such a big deal. The recount probably won't go anywhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

disjoe posted:

Yeah and later the industry will crash as students default and no one is paying the bills.

Then suddenly it's impossible to afford college without your family having a bunch of cash up front.

If the Student Loan industry is destined to collapse from a catastrophic delinquency rate and all debtors being unable to pay off the loan for their entire lives, then it is actually a smart move for the federal government and tax payers to back out of being a guarantor.

That won't happen though and the end result is higher interest rates for borrowers and student loans just dragging on for 6-10 extra years of payments for most people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spaced God posted:

A do over vote would be hilarious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spaced God posted:

The official vote count will reflect the most accurate total of valid votes. If this changes who the state's electors are supposed to vote for, nobody knows what would happen. And we're not likely to find out because it's very unlikely Stein will get the money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Even better, Betsy DeVos is Erik Prince's (crazy founder of Blackwater or whatever it is called now) sister

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ahahahahaha maybe she feels remorse for blithely announcing that Trump would be preferable to Clinton now that it's actually happening and environmentalism is burning down around her ears.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Spaced God posted:

My understanding is that the popular vote is intended primarily to guide the elector college, but they're not bound by it. So in the event of a misvote, that's really just 'electors do what you want'.

Aka total chaos and a constitutional crisis.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

No one is acting that way, but unrealistic optimism doesn't help get anything done. The problem here is that we moved the ball a few yards forward when we had it, but Republicans are planning to take the ball, leave the stadium, drive twenty miles in the wrong direction, encase it in concrete, and then bury it a hundred feet down. Republicans don't buy into the incrementalist philosophy that a lot of Democrats do and they aren't loving around when it comes to the level of regressive policy that they intend to pass. This isn't going to be the Republican version of Obama's first two years. The Republicans will pass their agenda and nothing short of a decade long permanent Democratic majority is going to undo the damage.

nothing new under the sun, etc, etc

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/797788764647157760

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

Because if it were proved that Russia had hacked American voting machines to throw the presidency to their pet candidate, this would be an international incident on the level of 9/11 - an attack by a foreign power at the heart of US democracy.

pretty much

but since it pretty much didn't happen, and most of the substance of it is Alex Jones level poo poo, you should probably be more concerned that this is right-Democrats re-coalescing around their new rallying cause of a Cold War drumbeat

gon be a real fun decade when Gingrich wants HUAC back and the Clintonites want a Cuban Missile Crisis

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

disjoe posted:

It's almost like, that's exactly their plan! The elites don't want you to be educated; that's what "school choice" is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

"Evil will always win, because good is dumb."

Also, incrementalists are fans of it because it means giving enough to seem enlightened and progressive but not giving enough so that it affects your balance sheets; that's why the DNC loves it - they love some Wall St. dick in their mouth.

• Locked thread