Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AdrenalinG posted:

767s are actually noticeably slower compared to other widebodies; their flights are much more prone to delays on arrival, because airlines set a standard buffer for their schedules but don't differentiate between equipment. This is particularly noticeable on long-haul. Dreamliners, on the other hand, tend to often have early arrival from their higher cruising altitudes and faster cruise speeds.

I am far too lazy to pull a bunch of flightaware data but I doubt there's a statistically significant effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am far too lazy to pull a bunch of flightaware data but I doubt there's a statistically significant effect.

You might be right. I don't care enough about it to start looking up info, I just know that the 767 has a lower cruising speed. This can add up over a long-haul flight. Maybe 30mins to an hour for a long transpacific flight.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Dang, dude on my flight from OGG-SFO was Plat 1K. That's a hell of a lot of flying.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Noctone posted:

Dang, dude on my flight from OGG-SFO was Plat 1K. That's a hell of a lot of flying.

Premier 1K*. Platinum is below 1K. 100K flown miles is not too crazy. And some of the folks traveling in First/Business are cheating because they get up to 300% qualifying miles for each flown mile on some fares. Must be nice..

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
whoops, yeah premier 1k. brain was a little fried from tortured sleep on the redeye.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Lots of crazy $400-500 r/t USA Europe fares today. Love that AA let me place holds on a few trips to Madrid, Geneva, and Amsterdam.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Lots of crazy $400-500 r/t USA Europe fares today. Love that AA let me place holds on a few trips to Madrid, Geneva, and Amsterdam.

United also matched but messed up on their el cheapo economy fire sale and filed V class fares. The person responsible probably matched Delta's V class fares too literally, not realizing V fare on Delta is their cheapest discount economy bucket, whereas a V fare on United is mid-range. For 1Ks, that means you can use GPUs on them. The fares were pulled earlier. I know some folks who are basically flying business class on these 400-500$ fares.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
It's confusing to me that AA can sell ex-LHR fares (e.g. LHR-LAX) and ex-continent fares (e.g. FCO-PHL-LAX) at the same $400 all-in price (on some dates). Aren't they on the hook for a huge amount of UK APD?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

China Eastern Airlines: Business Class with Chinese Characteristics.

Overall not bad, great hard product and fairly cheap. I'd do it again.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The food is still bad isn't it?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I've got flights coming up, MCO-SAN, SAN-SEA, SEA-MCO. Corp policy changed to allow nonstop flights over flights with stops if at all possible, regardless of price. I should be doing them nonstop on Alaska, correct?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

caberham posted:

The food is still bad isn't it?

Awful. The service is also attentive but very Chinese, so it's not as good as it should be.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Mandalay posted:

Even west coast prices are way lower than usual. Trying to do SEA-MAD next August and its down to $900 from $2K yesterday. Guess I'm booking this today.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mandalay posted:

It's confusing to me that AA can sell ex-LHR fares (e.g. LHR-LAX) and ex-continent fares (e.g. FCO-PHL-LAX) at the same $400 all-in price (on some dates). Aren't they on the hook for a huge amount of UK APD?

Yes. That's why ex-LHR is usually more expensive overall, both as a destination and as an origination.

Cacafuego posted:

I've got flights coming up, MCO-SAN, SAN-SEA, SEA-MCO. Corp policy changed to allow nonstop flights over flights with stops if at all possible, regardless of price. I should be doing them nonstop on Alaska, correct?

Absolutely. Best mileage accrual (100% min. for all fare classes), good chances for confirm upgrades (if you have Gold Guest Upgrades), or complimentary upgrades if you are elite.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

China Eastern Airlines: Business Class with Chinese Characteristics.

Overall not bad, great hard product and fairly cheap. I'd do it again.
I always wanted to try to upgrade to First Class on their 77Ws. I hear they have actual double beds, like Singapore Airlines. But I would not be expecting much from food/drink/service in that regard.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mandalay posted:

Grabbed some of those for a week in Dublin next April. Hell of a deal.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Will I be able to get into the JFK Delta Sky Club with my Amex Plat if I'm flying PE on a Virgin Atlantic flight that codeshares with Delta?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Will I be able to get into the JFK Delta Sky Club with my Amex Plat if I'm flying PE on a Virgin Atlantic flight that codeshares with Delta?

EDIT: Yes, if you can show that you bought it as a DL marketed flight.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 25, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

AdrenalinG posted:

EDIT: Yes, if you can show that you bought it as a DL marketed flight.

Hmmm...Delta does market it, but I bought directly through Virgin. I'll give it a shot.

e: I got in because the agent made an exception, but I feel like I put her out a little and I'm a little :smith: about it

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 25, 2016

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Hmmm...Delta does market it, but I bought directly through Virgin. I'll give it a shot.

e: I got in because the agent made an exception, but I feel like I put her out a little and I'm a little :smith: about it
It's just silly rules. Either way, Delta is making money since they are in a joint venture with Virgin Atlantic, and they do earn some amount from AMEX for each lounge access from credit card holders.

If you bought directly through Virgin you likely were on a Virgin-marketed flight, meaning it was sold under VS flight numbers. Whereas if you bought the same flight from Delta, it would have been sold under DL flight numbers as a codeshare (even if it's operated by Virgin).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Noctone posted:

I'm a 1K, except that I've got more than 205,000 PQMs flown this year (and a few more if my unprotected connection in LIM holds tonight) so I really should be a 2K. Sadly, all I got was a couple more upgrade certs. ;)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

pig slut lisa posted:

You should not feel bad about anything. If you were supposed to have access and she didn't want to let you in, then she's a crappy agent. If you weren't supposed to have access and she let you in but made you feel bad about it, then she's a crappy person.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How do you guys transport extra AAA batteries for your noise cancelling headphones. I have the QC15, same as everyone else, and the little mesh pocket in the case had its zipper break.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

How do you guys transport extra AAA batteries for your noise cancelling headphones. I have the QC15, same as everyone else, and the little mesh pocket in the case had its zipper break.

In the little mesh pocket? poo poo bro if that's not an option. They're AAAs just toss a few in the bottom of your bag and fish them out.

Should we just upgrade to the 35s with the built in battery?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

FunOne posted:

In the little mesh pocket? poo poo bro if that's not an option. They're AAAs just toss a few in the bottom of your bag and fish them out.

Should we just upgrade to the 35s with the built in battery?

I generally would want to keep the batteries separate from any other possible metal connections with the wires in such in that case. Sure, I could toss them in a bag but if there was a good replacement I'd prefer that.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Surely there are little plastic cases you can buy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Buy headphones that don't say Bose on them.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Buy headphones that don't say Bose on them.

A million times this.

Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you use bose you deserve to pay full fare everyday

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

caberham posted:

If you use bose you deserve to pay full fare everyday

why would you punish someone's clients like that

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Because they should know better and hire someone else for the job

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Not to ruin the circlejerk, but to be fair, the Bose headphones are regarded as the best over-ear headphones for noise cancelling (not sound quality). Not that you can't do similarly for cheaper, but c'mon.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Canceling sound with sound ruins quality, so I prefer in ears since it's kinda like putting in earplugs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you want to buy overpriced crap, that's your business. But just know if you're on the same plane as me, I'll secretly judge you. Ditto for Beats.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KillHour posted:

If you want to buy overpriced crap, that's your business. But just know if you're on the same plane as me, I'll secretly judge you. Ditto for Beats.

What's your stance on wearing a suit while flying?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you want to suffer for 8 hours just to show up to your business meeting in a wrinkled, sweaty suit, be my guest. I'll stay comfy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I always end up in the seat next to chatty Carl and his tinfoil hat conspiracies

:tinfoil:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

I always end up in the seat next to chatty Carl and his tinfoil hat conspiracies

:tinfoil:

You and me both man. Even with my headphones on and my eyes closed, they always just keep talking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I just mean mug at whoever's sitting with me as soon as they sit down. It seems to work. Plus I'm Asian so I'm sure White Grandma / MAGA hat wearer sales man doesn't think I speak English.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Flew on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend with 3 seats empty in the first class cabin of a CRJ9. FA said it was for weight and balance. I thought this was supposed to be a busy travel day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hi business travel thread. I am trying to decide between two job offers, and one of them requires 25% travel (one M-F week out of every 4, on average, mostly domestic I think). I'm trying to quantify this on the pros/cons list, and I'm pretty sure it falls between con and huge con. I've never had to travel for work, but I can't imagine it being a plus in any way. The other three weeks per month are working from home, so that's a plus over the other job, which requires a 30 minute commute (I walk to work, so relatively speaking, that's a huge increase in commute).

I've read the first few pages of the thread, and that has assured me that the travel aspect is a net negative. I'm 35, so I'm not old but I'm not as energetic and willing to live out of a hotel as I was when I was younger. I don't have kids. I live about 40 minutes from the airport (PHL) but it can be 1.5 hours in bad traffic.

Anyway, how should I factor this into my decision? Is 25% travel low enough to not really be that bad? Or should I just avoid travel if the other job is fairly equal in other aspects?