Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Oh man you guys are in for a treat. Havent seen any episodes other than the one I was audience in, but he was probably told "be as southern and insufferable as possible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Granted he is from rural California, but it would be nice if he would just be normal.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Antti posted:

This sounds like a really flimsy explanation for what was almost certainly just a poorly thought out bit. Getting a work permit for Ben Collins should be absolutely trivial for a company like Amazon, if you even need one for the few weeks he would've needed it for.

Particularly since he's been over here in the US a lot this year, working. Ford had him on hand at the Focus RS drive to give us hot laps.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

So since we're a couple hours from the show airing, here's some spoilers. Do not read this unless you want to know what happened.
Lo and behold, it turns out this woman is the wife of a guy I only know through the internet. I've never even met him other than through POASTING and I somehow identified his wife out a group of randoms on a bus in the desert by the cars she said they owned, and the location they had traveled from.

Plot twist: That poaster is someone from here. I'll let him out himself if he likes, but it was truly one of the all-time "What a small world!" moments of my life

This is old but I am just reading up on this thread but that sounds like it could only be on poster that I haven't seen around these parts in some time that can't take his bull through a car wash without the thing dying and a had his Focus RS that got lost by Ford.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm willing to give him a chance, he only said a line or three at all and i'd love to see an american racing driver perspective on some of the poofter-european supercars they are going to throw at him. Hopefully he can get to a point where he says what he actually thinks instead of canned southern-isms.

Does seeing an american person with a southern accent for a grand total of 20 seconds really bother you that much?

I was more concerned with his qualifications. I don't know the guy so I have no idea what his experience is before doing NASCAR, but I wouldn't assume that because someone can drive very fast at full throttle and slight turn on an embankment it necessarily makes them a perfect choice for getting the most out of a wide variety of the world's fastest production vehicles on what admittedly seems to be a very non-standard small race track. I have no idea who else was considered so I honestly don't know if he was the best pick or not.

I can say I just plain don't like southern accents but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the show. I'd rather hear the driver talk about his experience as it's happening than Clarkson describing to me what I'm already watching on screen like with The Stig.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

davebo posted:

I was more concerned with his qualifications. I don't know the guy so I have no idea what his experience is before doing NASCAR, but I wouldn't assume that because someone can drive very fast at full throttle and slight turn on an embankment it necessarily makes them a perfect choice for getting the most out of a wide variety of the world's fastest production vehicles on what admittedly seems to be a very non-standard small race track. I have no idea who else was considered so I honestly don't know if he was the best pick or not.

Let's not pretend there's anything scientific about the timed laps for these cars. The fact that they are using the same driver is for a bit, nothing more.

Don't forget that the old driver was behind a helmet the whole time and likely wasn't always the same person (mostly the same person, but there's likely times when that has changed.)

They also run these laps under a wide range of weather conditions.

People want rankings so they give them rankings, but the timed lap is simply a bookend to a review that's not too be taken too seriously.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

davebo posted:

I can say I just plain don't like southern accents but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the show. I'd rather hear the driver talk about his experience as it's happening than Clarkson describing to me what I'm already watching on screen like with The Stig.

I'm guessing you don't know anything about NASCAR or oval driving then. Just because he mostly turns left (there are road courses in the NASCAR season) it still requires a lot of car control. They are still managing tire traction and the position and rotation of the whole car. At 200mph mind you. I'm not a fan of NASCAR but I still respect the people who drive in it.

Also, he's not southern. He's from northern California.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing you don't know anything about NASCAR or oval driving then. Just because he mostly turns left (there are road courses in the NASCAR season) it still requires a lot of car control. They are still managing tire traction and the position and rotation of the whole car. At 200mph mind you. I'm not a fan of NASCAR but I still respect the people who drive in it.

Norcal is most definitely redneck territory.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The impression I got from the American's bit was that his canned terrible southern opinions were meant to be the equivalent of the Stig's terrible music choices; just a bit of silly flavour to keep the lap video from being too dry.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wasabi the J posted:

Norcal is most definitely redneck territory.

As someone from there I ...

遥eah

E: working at a small-town ISP in the mid-90s, kept having horse farmers come in to sign up and ask questions about how to use a thing called "McWayub"

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I work at a rural California WISP and there's definitely real country folk here. Merle Haggard country!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Seconding cojas statement. Oval racing drivers are world class and dont deserve the shade they get thrown from snobs in the internet. I'm sure that homeboy can drive.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DJ Commie posted:

I work at a rural California WISP and there's definitely real country folk here. Merle Haggard country!

I'm sorry you work in Oildale. I thought I worked in a terrible environment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Seconding cojas statement. Oval racing drivers are world class and dont deserve the shade they get thrown from snobs in the internet. I'm sure that homeboy can drive.

No one even in old Top Gear denies the driving skills of NASCAR. they simply say it's not very entertaining to watch for people used to road races, which I agree with. I KNOW how hard it is to drive in 3 dimensions and close quarters, is just hard for me to stay interested for 200 laps.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Though they have gone to pains to point out how it can be a lot more fun to watch a pack of cars barreling along together at 200 mph in full view of the stands at all times, than to see a bunch of F1 cars flash past your vantage point once per minute and maybe (if you're amazingly lucky) the order has changed.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I actually just went to the NASCAR finale in Homestead this past weekend. My first race. The cars sounded awesome but they throw a full-course caution with safety car (truck) literally every time somebody has a puncture. It should either be 50 laps total or they should have more endurance racing like attitude to wrecks. If they had a dedicated road racing only series on the side I would 100% absolutely watch it

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Plus aren't the restrictions on the cars in NASCAR equally as stupidly strict as in F1? So that they have to worry about all the things like "managing tire traction and the position and rotation of the whole car"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Budgie posted:

Plus aren't the restrictions on the cars in NASCAR equally as stupidly strict as in F1? So that they have to worry about all the things like "managing tire traction and the position and rotation of the whole car"

Yes, managing the car is what racing is.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Budgie posted:

Even more than F1. Nascar is still running iron blocks, and carbs. They also are running full steel chassis. and live axles. Nascar is typically driven on "that far edge" of traction. While F1 varies from "lightly loaded to braking, to cornering to accelerating, to lightly loaded" wash rinse repeat. Nascar sits on the edge of it's traction circle for large fractions of the time. F1 cars can't tolerate the sort of sliding that Nascar does. Yaw angle really effs up the day for a F1 car. As does chassis angle.

The fact anyone can get a F1 car, quickly, around a track, is just stunning to me. Half the things they do to make them go fast, put them in a position where "getting anything wrong" puts you on the wrong side of the traction slope, and it's all over with.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Nerobro posted:

Even more than F1. Nascar is still running iron blocks, and carbs. They also are running full steel chassis. and live axles. Nascar is typically driven on "that far edge" of traction. While F1 varies from "lightly loaded to braking, to cornering to accelerating, to lightly loaded" wash rinse repeat. Nascar sits on the edge of it's traction circle for large fractions of the time. F1 cars can't tolerate the sort of sliding that Nascar does. Yaw angle really effs up the day for a F1 car. As does chassis angle.

The fact anyone can get a F1 car, quickly, around a track, is just stunning to me. Half the things they do to make them go fast, put them in a position where "getting anything wrong" puts you on the wrong side of the traction slope, and it's all over with.

Hey, now. They switched to EFI a couple years back.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nerobro posted:

Hammond driving an F1 car was actually one of the neater "learn an actual real thing about a race car" bits from TG because it really got across how F1 cars simply don't work like a normal car at all.

Drive slowly: cold tires, no downforce, spin out, might also turn itself off to prevent engine-killing stall and do nothing
Drive dangerously quickly: still have cold tires and no downforce, spin out
Drive AT SUPER TURBO HELLSPEED: tires are warm and you have downforce, everything is OK, unless it isn't, then you're hosed again

:stare:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, seeing relatively talented journalist/semi-pro drivers utterly toddlerized by driving F1 cars is always a real big reminder of just how insanely good those guys are. Also watching the usually flawless wheel to wheel racing at insane speeds at insane G levels with relatively 'cold' tires in the first 45 seconds of any F1 race (because you'll know who wins after that) compared to the total clusterfuck in even 35hp cars on the first corner by just about everyone else's ability to 'drive' in Forza/GT/Etc.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

wallaka posted:

Hey, now. They switched to EFI a couple years back.

I'm ~shocked~. Ever since car of tomorrow though, they are essentially a spec racer. And i'm not saying that's a bad thing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
If driving a stock car were so easy, every open wheeler (minus a couple) wouldn't be so loving bad at it.

And most of them came up in karting and all kinds of other poo poo at this point. And try to say a dirt track driver doesn't have loving amazing car control.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone who is driving in a top level of motorsport is guaranteed to be a good driver. Even the backmarkers in F1 are good drivers because they still have to prove themselves in lower series before they are allowed to get a license to drive in F1. Saying that someone who drives race cars professionally isn't qualified to drive a car fast is a moron.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bear in mind everything this country knows about NASCAR is based on Days Of Thunder and American forum posters taking the piss out of rednecks.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
If they just popped some canned laughs after the american's jokes it would have gone over much better.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Bear in mind everything this country knows about NASCAR is based on Days Of Thunder and American forum posters taking the piss out of rednecks.

Well it is a documentary.

Not even denying the racing is boring sometimes, but the drivers are legit good.

Anyway, I wonder if EP2 is going to come out Thursday night again.

Edit: VVVV probably the 200+ when Hammond almost died...so I don't see that happening again.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Most of what I know about Nascar comes from Ricky Bobby.

What's the fastest they ever got on Top Gear? I saw the desert intro and thought they might do something with that because I know somewhere in desert-y america is where they do land speed records.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Well it is a documentary.

Not even denying the racing is boring sometimes, but the drivers are legit good.

Anyway, I wonder if EP2 is going to come out Thursday night again.

Edit: VVVV probably the 200+ when Hammond almost died...so I don't see that happening again.

It's like baseball. That game is boring as poo poo but those guys can still hit a fast moving ball and knock it out of the park.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drunken officeparty posted:

Most of what I know about Nascar comes from Ricky Bobby.

What's the fastest they ever got on Top Gear? I saw the desert intro and thought they might do something with that because I know somewhere in desert-y america is where they do land speed records.
James May did a hair under 260mph in a Veyron, I think other than aircraft, that's the fastest any of them have gone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fact that they could casually go over 200 in those three cars was pretty crazy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

James May did a hair under 260mph in a Veyron, I think other than aircraft, that's the fastest any of them have gone.

Hammond was doing 288 when he crashed.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry I didn't think my post made it sound like I thought NASCAR drivers were somehow untalented, just that like others have said, those stock cars are a different animal from other types of racing. I would think Ben Collins' career skills would better translate to driving some AWD supercar around the Top Gear or new Grand Tour tracks compared to the usual NASCAR tracks and you're right they do have some road courses. But ultimately bull3964's reply was perfect. The mask gave the Stig the illusion of a consistent robot-like performance despite us never being sure it was always the same person, and the conditions were so variable as to be essentially useless so I shouldn't really care about the driver's ability.

I guess if they had wanted an American driver with a bunch of experience driving production cars around a track they could have hired Randy Probst.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grakkus posted:

The impression I got from the American's bit was that his canned terrible southern opinions were meant to be the equivalent of the Stig's terrible music choices; just a bit of silly flavour to keep the lap video from being too dry.

Seconding this. He was intended to be a caricature of an American redneck. There was nothing spontaneous about his performance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, in my opinion a driver that spends more time on diverse tracks than ovals is more worth his salt. Also, in regards to Collins, he's a stunt driver and probably has a generally better skill set due to that, with what throwing cars around on narrower roads and such. That said, someone else posted a video about Mike Skinner doing hillclimb pretty well, so he definitely knows other things than oval.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guarantee that truck was harder to drive on goodwood than an M2 is on the eboladrome.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Also NASCAR isn't only ovals anyway.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

sean10mm posted:

Also NASCAR isn't only ovals anyway.

Some of them are TRI-ovals!

Seriously though the two road courses per year is the best racing they have all season, but isn't really a factor over the 34 oval course races they do per season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Nascar is boring if your sitting at home sober by yourself. Get a party together multiple monitors for different in car views and what not and a keg of beer and Nascar races are good poo poo. Also helps if you-know all the rivalries and scandals.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 24, 2016