Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Weird they seemed to get grandpa's and uncle's names mixed up.

I'm disappointed one of the bullet points for "sally's new boyfriend" isn't "tell sally to dump the stupid motherfucker".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Octatonic posted:

I'm disappointed one of the bullet points for "sally's new boyfriend" isn't "tell sally to dump the stupid motherfucker".

But Sally is a stupid motherfucker too, so...

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

yeah, fair enough.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

negromancer posted:

But Sally is a stupid motherfucker too, so...

And apparently wearing a MAGA hat to Thanksgiving like a complete turd.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Baronjutter posted:

I love it when right wing politicians take left wing songs and use them for their campaign because the song has the word "america!!" in it or sounds patriotic if you only listen to 2% of the words.
Then again there's people who don't think Robocop is political satire on police militarization, the "war on crime", and corporate control of government. Or that starship troopers isn't a huge gently caress you to Heinlein's hard on for authoritarianism and worship of the military.

My heart breaks every time i remember that Rush opens his show with "My City was Gone/Back to Ohio" by the pretenders :smithicide:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

My heart breaks every time i remember that Rush opens his show with "My City was Gone/Back to Ohio" by the pretenders :smithicide:

My old Mark Levin bingo card had "left wing bumper music" as a space because he loves him some Bon Jovi.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A perfect example of this is how many white people thought Rhianna's "Work" was just nonsense syllables. Saw one youtube teen covering it say "I wrote some real lyrics for Work!"

:psyduck: What do these people think when they're listening to a song that's in a language that's not even related to English? Or simply when they hear people speaking an entirely different language, for that matter?

Death Bot posted:

I grew up on white dad music, and spent a very long time thinking of vocals as basically another instrument rather than having much of a message. So much of it was either thinly veiled "I wanna bang" or nonsense words.

I can definitely see how someone who grew up hearing The Message (I didn't hear it until last year I think) or rap in general, where the content of the lyrics is a bit more of the formula, would have a different relationship to music than me, who heard the Beatles sing the incredible line "And when I touch you I feel happy inside"

There's plenty of white dad music that has a deeper message you can only appreciate by actually listening to the lyrics, even if it's still not socially conscious to the same degree as The Message (or maybe my White Dad was broken and listened to different music from most). You can choose to engage with a song on a superficial level, or choose to engage with it on a deeper level (if present). I would tend to agree with Lightning Knight's take on white privilege and how it affects that choice:

Lightning Knight posted:

As to privilege, I'm sure that, that notion, that underprivileged people of all kinds would pay more attention out of a justified suspicion, but I'd also argue that as somebody who is privileged, I for example could afford to just listen to songs by Beyonce and not look for any hidden meaning because if there was one I'm only going to appreciate it on an academic level. Her strong message on, say, black women should feel empowered and good by virtue of their black womanhood just isn't going to mean as much to me as, say, TB, because I have the privilege of not having to engage with that experience, ever, if I so choose.

And I would add that, when a person with privilege to actually critically listen to a song (or consider any work of art) made by someone without privilege, it's inherently going to be a "challenging" experience, for lack of a better word, because it will often remind of and confront that inequality. Since this is usually an uncomfortable experience for most privileged people, even if it can be rewarding, it doesn't surprise me terribly that it's often avoided by choice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also a song can have a whole different context based solely on where it falls in an artist's project

Formation feels like a completely different song when it comes at the end of Lemonade compared to just hearing it as a single.

Ditto with "i" from Kendrick Lamar which in the context of his album hits waaaaay harder than the single.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dexo posted:

Also a song can have a whole different context based solely on where it falls in an artist's project

Formation's feels like a completely different song when it comes at the end of Lemonade compared to just hearing it as a single.

Ditto with "i" from Kendrick Lamar which in the context of his album hits waaaaay harder than the single.

Or in the context of the artist's life, or the historical context in which it was written, for example: David Bowie's Blackstar, Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker, possibly Don Killuminati (though 2Pac presumably didn't know it would be his last album while writing it), Kortatu's song Desmond Tutu, etc.

Really, music is like any form of literature and failing to consider it in context means you're missing a whole bunch. And while arguably you're not missing much if you choose to listen to The Beatles or Nickelback in a very superficial way, it's certainly inconsiderate at the very least to reduce a work that was intended to have a strong message to just an assembly of pleasing sounds, and doubly so when it's a privileged group doing so to art created by people who are outside that group.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

PT6A posted:

And while arguably you're not missing much if you choose to listen to The Beatles or Nickelback in a very superficial way, it's certainly inconsiderate at the very least to reduce a work that was intended to have a strong message to just an assembly of pleasing sounds, and doubly so when it's a privileged group doing so to art created by people who are outside that group.

Early Beatles sure, but the later Beatles stuff was actually really good and people shouldn't write them off as superficial just because they're the Beatles.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

Also, this is for the white people that frequently drive through Negrotown and enjoy our shops and clean streets:

Where the one for "let me tell you what I'd do if I met one of those Black Lives Matter protestors in person..." So loving glad my folks aren't doing a big Thanksgiving this year.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Oh yeah I didn't mean to imply that anything I said was actually correct, it's definitely a problem of oversight and lack of exposure. A lot of music isn't fluff but plenty of it is, and thinking of a lot of music as an excuse to hear a cool guitar solo for a lot of my life probably didn't help :v:

Going back and listening to The College Dropout and getting hooked on Das Racist were both pivotal in getting me to think about this differently.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Eletriarnation posted:

If there's anyone reading who feels like they would benefit from or be interested in a primer on how the black struggle in America has developed between the Civil Rights Act and today, PBS has a four hour two-part series called Black America Since MLK that just aired the first half. It goes into Stokely Carmichael and the origin of the Black Panthers, the impact of white flight and responses like busing, the increased prominence in America of distinctly Black forms of appearance and expression through art, and a lot more.

I feel like a lot of American civil rights education below the college level focuses strongly, almost exclusively on MLK and the campaign to overturn Jim Crow in the South with Malcolm X mentioned as an afterthought - or at least mine did. For anyone in a similar position, this may help give more detail to what the zeitgeist was like and how the struggle developed in the decades between then and now - particularly in cities and areas outside the South.

Part two airs tonight btw.
https://twitter.com/KQED/status/801183601509285888

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of my Dad's favourite albums (and consequently one of mine) was Axis: Bold as Love

I guess most people just like it for the cool guitar riffs, like most of Hendrix's stuff, but it has some really deep poo poo on it that is far more political than his 'political' song, Purple Haze.

Yeah, it really seems like such a huge thing that so many people seem to miss that almost every piece of media is political by accident, if not by design. Not to invoke the devil but the whole Gamergate shitstorm and how basic critical thinking seemed to be anathema to most consumers really brought that point home.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, games consumers largely epitomize the inability to understand that artistic works are inherently political. Even the most consumer safe corporate product is saying something political through it's existence, but it's very easy to ignore that when the political view it's espousing is something you're on board with. Gamers complaining left right and center about SJWs ruining their vidja games with politics when the media they've been consuming is steeped in white male power fantasies. It's like crying about 'Happy Holidays', blissfully unaware that Christmas and Christianity is NOT the default for everyone.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Is this on Passport? I missed part one.

Also unrelated but if you donate to your local PBS station you should get a free Passport account and its awesome. Basically Netflix for PBS shows. NOVA, Frontline, back episodes, documentaries, its all there.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

A perfect example of this is how many white people thought Rhianna's "Work" was just nonsense syllables. Saw one youtube teen covering it say "I wrote some real lyrics for Work!"

Yeah every few weeks there's always a not-racist reddit post:

Whenever someone posts "Hey Jude" in comparison, it just gets dismissed as "yeah well the Beatles suck too"

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

In some moderately good news, a Montgomery cop who shot an unarmed black man was indicted for murder.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/us/alabama-police-indict-murder/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/20/what-it-s-like-to-be-black-and-atheist.html
Article on "what it's like to be black and atheist".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just want to say this was a very good watch, and it cleared up some poo poo I never really understood from the black point of view. I think the real question is how you get the average white person to watch something like this and apply empathy and critical thought to what they see. How do you make sure this is seen by the people who need to see it the most?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The movie "Get Out" looks intriguing. We don't get too many horror movies with black leads. I'm wary because I strongly dislike Key and Peele and it was written and directed by Peele.

I guess it couldn't have come out at a better (or worse) time because white anxiety is so high, especially since it features the black lead meeting his white girlfriend's parents for the first time.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I guess it couldn't have come out at a better (or worse) time because white anxiety is so high, especially since it features the black lead meeting his white girlfriend's parents for the first time.

For me, they perfectly encapsulated the feeling of the initial first "meet white boyfriends white parents" nightmare scenario. I'm dragging the partner to see it when it comes out, if it comes out in Sweden.

I'm sort of hoping it can jumpstart at least better diversity in horror outside of "spooky curse from amalgamated nonwhite land!"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

LunarShadow posted:

In some moderately good news, a Montgomery cop who shot an unarmed black man was indicted for murder.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/us/alabama-police-indict-murder/

I don't really get hopeful until I read about them convicted and sentenced properly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

blackguy32 posted:

The movie "Get Out" looks intriguing. We don't get too many horror movies with black leads. I'm wary because I strongly dislike Key and Peele and it was written and directed by Peele.

Can I ask why?

I'm also looking forward to Get Out but admittedly at least a quarter of my interest is from the amount of white rage fodder it's going to generate.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

1stGear posted:

Can I ask why?

I'm also looking forward to Get Out but admittedly at least a quarter of my interest is from the amount of white rage fodder it's going to generate.

They kinda play to a lot of black stereotypes for the entertainment of white people. Their East/West Bowl sketch is really bad about that.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

zegermans posted:

I don't really get hopeful until I read about them convicted and sentenced properly.

Oh most definitely, but with the way things had been going it was doubtful he was even going to be indicted.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Gringostar posted:

Early Beatles sure, but the later Beatles stuff was actually really good and people shouldn't write them off as superficial just because they're the Beatles.

Early Beatles don't even sound like the Beatles. Early Beatles wouldn't sound out of place in the 50s, and a lot (most?) of their hits were covers

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

1stGear posted:

Can I ask why?

Like Zegermans said, I found their show to be pretty stereotypical at times with very little of the awareness of the Chappelle show.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

What was the best sketch/comedy show aimed at a black audience?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I would say Family Matters.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

blackguy32 posted:

Like Zegermans said, I found their show to be pretty stereotypical at times with very little of the awareness of the Chappelle show.

I think they were very aware of their type of comedy considering they were both biracial. They had a bunch of skits where they would have to deal with being black and acting white.

To say a black comedian can't do black comedy because of the optics is kind of...obtuse.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Chappelle's Show, followed by In Living Color, which are both also up there for best sketch/comedy shows period

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Sometimes we want to critique and satirize our own culture without catering to white audiences. That was part of the reason Chappelle walked away from his show too - white people turn laughing with into laughing at.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
^^ EFB

Skinty McEdger posted:

What years? And what demographic of Black audiences.

Because It's probably the Chappelle Show. Even though most white( and black folks too) didn't pull the right lessons from that show. And were laughing for the wrong reasons.

edit:

And yeah like how the Chris Rock (Black people vs "NIGGAAAAAZ") bit, suddenly became an acceptable thing for white people to use against black people.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
FRIENDS was the white Living Single.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sometimes we want to critique and satirize our own culture without catering to white audiences. That was part of the reason Chappelle walked away from his show too - white people turn laughing with into laughing at.

White people still get really salty about his white person character

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Charlie Murphy and C! True Hollywood Stories is still one of the funniest things ever committed to film.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

I think they were very aware of their type of comedy considering they were both biracial. They had a bunch of skits where they would have to deal with being black and acting white.

Of all things this year a Video game managed to capture this poo poo perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrePfqalRw&t=567s

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Key and Peele have some loving brilliant sketches but they definitely tap the well of stereotype humor a bit too much.

A shame because poo poo like this is actually funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uScCrpAW4U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

To say a black comedian can't do black comedy because of the optics is kind of...obtuse.

I never said that they couldn't do it. I said I disliked them for it. I don't really find their show funny and at times it feels like a minstrel show.

• Locked thread