Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently some shitheads with tons of hours in the game are abusing some exploit to refund the game now that its out of EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Skoll posted:

The games legit fun as gently caress right now on PC, I think. My old crew has been tearing it up, Hans AND Patriarch. Soon as they get their levels up, it'll be fun to do Suicidal without randos.

Drop me a line and I'll join in for Suicidal.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002294036/

On the topic of Firebug, it used to be my favorite class just because of how plain overpowered it was. With the pulse-fire exploit and the Microwave gun just outright murdering everything it touches, you could solo entire hordes of enemies even on Hell on Earth because the sheer amount of damage you outputted was ridiculous, on top of the perk that made zeds explode just clearing whole rooms with a single puff causing a chain reaction.

When they added resistances, Firebug was still good. The catch was that there were things that took nearly no damage from fire, but conversely those same things were weak to the microwave gun, and vice-versa. So you had this nice sort of duality where you had a gun that only worked with trash, and a gun that only worked with big zeds. Even with the universal nerf resistances brought, Firebug was the least gimped perk out of the bunch.

Now Firebug is just bad. I don't understand what it's supposed to do now. It was handy before they patched the bug that made zeds bumping into each other instantly die, but the ironic thing was that this bug only made Firebug viable on Suicidal/Hell on Earth, and merely because it cleared out trash easily. Big zeds were still an issue. During this time, I even described it "mandatory" for Hell on Earth, but only just as "mandatory" as picks like Medic, Support, and Berserker. When they fixed that bug, they dumped Firebug into the realm of uselessness, and then decided to nerf its damage even farther because it wasn't useless enough.

The biggest tragedy is the Microwave gun at the moment. When people are using an earlier tier weapon over the supposed "final tier," that's a sign that either the early tier is too strong or the final tier is too weak. I just hope Tripwire realizes that, given how many people are saying that Firebug is useless now, it's a case of the latter.

I think they want Firebug to panic groups of enemies or something? Or build up damage over time? But there's two issues with that. The first is that panicking is borderline random, and zeds are even harder to hit when they're panicking versus just running straight at you. The second thing is that the DOT doesn't persist long enough to make it viable as a tactic. Even with the skill meant to spread fire between zeds, and even in difficulties where you'll be swarmed by zeds to begin with, the range of them bumping into each other to reignite is so tiny that it's basically down to luck once again. But the biggest flaw is that anyone will look at the DOT Firebug puts out and just think, "or I can just play a good class that will kill them when I shoot them instead." The only things DOT would be useful for is big zeds, and surprise surprise, big zeds resist fire. Oops.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 22, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alteisen posted:

Apparently some shitheads with tons of hours in the game are abusing some exploit to refund the game now that its out of EA.

Yeah there's a ton of people doing that over in the Killing Floor general thread over on 4chan, although it's technically not an exploit, it's Steam's policy that when a game exits EA that for three days afterwards the refund period gets reset for anyone who had bought a game during it's EA

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Been spending some quality time with Survivalist, trying to get into (what I assume to be) the spirit of the class. Hit level 6 and I've been kitting myself out with the double shotty for close range, that 50-clip SWAT gun for mid range and the nade launcher for groups and heavies. Looking forward to getting the +5kg perk and working the AA12 into the mix somehow.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...nch-work-begins

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I reinstalled the PC version again, played about two solo matches and died in both. First one was with SWAT on normal, second with Gunslinger on hard. I think I might be hella rusty vs bosses.

Also my SG 500 Mint skin is going for $3-$4? I wanna sell but... I dunno. Should I just sell and grab the Battlescarred version or.

Mace and Shield sounds like it'll have awesome parrying. Also wonder what rewards EA people will get.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah there's a ton of people doing that over in the Killing Floor general thread over on 4chan, although it's technically not an exploit, it's Steam's policy that when a game exits EA that for three days afterwards the refund period gets reset for anyone who had bought a game during it's EA

That sounds more like a loophole to me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Oh, there's a few EA games I'll be refunding then if they ever "release". (doubtful)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Skoll posted:

Oh, there's a few EA games I'll be refunding then if they ever "release". (doubtful)
I didn't know that the policy let you refund an EA game within 3 days of release. Any mediocre-to-bad EA game is basically incentivized to never release and turn into vaporware if they can expect a decent chunk of previous sales to get refunded. Then for decent-to-good games, they just hope it's a wash with new purchases being more than people who decided their 200 hours of gameplay in EA wasn't worth the ticket price.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

I didn't know that the policy let you refund an EA game within 3 days of release. Any mediocre-to-bad EA game is basically incentivized to never release and turn into vaporware if they can expect a decent chunk of previous sales to get refunded. Then for decent-to-good games, they just hope it's a wash with new purchases being more than people who decided their 200 hours of gameplay in EA wasn't worth the ticket price.

Personally, I find Steams 2 hour limit is bullshit, I'd have refunded a few games were it not for that. As it stands, there's only about two or three games I legit want refunded but cannot because of that policy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Elysiume posted:

games that fail to live up to promises/turn into vaporware get unlimited license to be refunded (this was basically the case with Towns) so the alternative is frequently worse

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Does the survivalist get like random grenades or something? Because I had a match where someone was throwing Molotovs and medic grenades and there was no firebugs and I was the only medic. :confused:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

one of the perks changes the grenade from medic grenade to molotov

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thefluffy posted:

Does the survivalist get like random grenades or something? Because I had a match where someone was throwing Molotovs and medic grenades and there was no firebugs and I was the only medic. :confused:

Normal frag grenades until Level 15, then at 15 you have to pick between Molotovs or Medic grenades. It's really dumb.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hans just blew my rear end up so fiercely that my health went into the negatives. :newlol:

Why does he drop a carpet of grenades WHILE RUNNING :psyduck:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Coolguye posted:

games that fail to live up to promises/turn into vaporware get unlimited license to be refunded (this was basically the case with Towns) so the alternative is frequently worse
Is that on a case-by-case basis? I'm pretty sure I have at least one vaporware game in my library.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Is that on a case-by-case basis? I'm pretty sure I have at least one vaporware game in my library.

generally yeah, try some refund requests and see what happens, worst thing they can do is say no

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thefluffy posted:

No, but they really should. Either with or without indication of what it'll be.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

widespread posted:

So I reinstalled the PC version again, played about two solo matches and died in both. First one was with SWAT on normal, second with Gunslinger on hard. I think I might be hella rusty vs bosses.

Also my SG 500 Mint skin is going for $3-$4? I wanna sell but... I dunno. Should I just sell and grab the Battlescarred version or.

Mace and Shield sounds like it'll have awesome parrying. Also wonder what rewards EA people will get.

That sounds more like a loophole to me.

The reward they mention is just the Horzine armor for people who didn't log in during the Tactical Response update

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Horzine armor is pretty baller too, fyi. I use it on Classic Masterson.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is the game good yet?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
it's okay

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's fun with friends, the gunplay is fun, the game is gorgeous.

Basically the only real flaw imo is the love/hate affair with TW balancing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The other real flaw is the staggering amount of grinding.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The grind is nowhere near as bad as KF1. Maybe that gives me some sort of perspective but I don't view KF 2's grind as terrible.

I mean, I hate all kinds of grind, don't get me wrong, but in the scheme of things KF 2's is laffo easy. Click head, get XP, repeat.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Kf1's grind was skippable with SAM. I know I gave up on KF1 like 5 hours in until I found that out and just instamaxxed everything. Now I have like 190 hours :v:

Turns out if the game isn't a pile of poo poo, grinding isn't necessary.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What made KF 1's grind intolerable was that it was objective based. Leveling up Commando was a pain in the dick because you were constantly yelling at people not to shoot Stalkers.

Turns out that modern psychology shows that if you give players a carrot on a stick, they'll keep playing and putting money into your game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah I'm a 5 commando in 1. Christ might even be 6.
But the perks being locked behind hours and hours of game play is way worse than the better numbers in 1. The perks are really tied to class identity and everything is poo poo and boring before 15. I got like 50 hours and 2/10 of the game at just 15 let alone 25

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It's fun but I will refer to my original criticism which is lack of variety. Not even the enemy types but some sort of other upgrades, more bosses etc would make it that much more engaging

But I will also refer to the fact that I compare any horde type mode with gears which did it perfectly and surprisingly the closest thing I've played was Call of Duty's Extinction mode.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Getting perks from 0 to low teens is pretty fast and fun. Then it gets slower, but depending on how fast you get through all maps on suicidal, it can still be enjoyable.

The real pain starts in the 20s.

TW should either cap the perks at 20 and redistribute the bonuses accordingly or just lower the XP requirements.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel TW should put every skill in a pool and let you choose exactly which to slot, but that would make too much sense. God forbid I want to take Tactical Reload AND HiCap mags.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I like the idea of starting every class with the level 5 bonus and capping XP at level 20 instead. Raise the requirements for each level to keep the same overall leveling curve, but that way you get a good idea for what your perk feels like without having to put a couple hours into it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The other real flaw is the staggering amount of grinding.

You can use a trainer to get to max level.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I like the idea of starting every class with the level 5 bonus and capping XP at level 20 instead. Raise the requirements for each level to keep the same overall leveling curve, but that way you get a good idea for what your perk feels like without having to put a couple hours into it.

I'm kind of glad the level 25 bonus is a Zed Time bonus of often iffy value because that means unless you are generally hosed without/expected to have that last little bit of passive statistics, having the last most grindy portion of the levels not be a proper talent takes the edge off.

With how many iffy decisions they have made, I am pleasantly surprised that (so far) none of the class overhauls have gone "You know what? Everyone only ever picks this talent and considers it basically the one most essential talent to making the class viable. So let's make them always have it instead of a non choice!... As your level 25 final upgrade!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Exp feels much faster unless the console balance is different, I bought the game when it came out and I'm already a rank 20 zerk, I play about 4 or 5 hours on average and didn't even play on monday. I am pretty aggressive and try to get as many kills as possible.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 23, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Alteisen posted:

Exp feels much faster unless the console balance is different, I bought the game when it came out and I'm already a rank 20 zerk, I play about 4 or 5 hours on average and didn't even play on monday. I am pretty aggressive and try to get as many kills as possible.

Console balancing is gonna be different, afaik. I think some TW Devs confirmed it once, and people in this thread have linked to a post.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

It's fun but I will refer to my original criticism which is lack of variety. Not even the enemy types but some sort of other upgrades, more bosses etc would make it that much more engaging

But I will also refer to the fact that I compare any horde type mode with gears which did it perfectly and surprisingly the closest thing I've played was Call of Duty's Extinction mode.

:sigh: I should fire up that game again. Got it for $15 with all the maps, too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea they said balancing but they never mentioned exp.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwCm-b6XEKw

Give pubs your money.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pubbies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's always fun to see a fleshpound or two charge right in there and kock the whole thing every which way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pech
Jul 19, 2004

Is welding useless on every difficulty? It seems like holding out a position is a lot less viable than in kf1? Every game I've joined has just had people standing in the same spot