Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

this list of "nonfiction modern classics" put together by my local library contains The World Is Flat, The God Deluision, and Freakonomics

does it have guns germs and steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Forget the stupid app, just PM me your sins and I'll forgive you free of charge.

Is it lawful to just forgive any sin

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

exmarx posted:

is an ambassador appointment an "i'm making you leave the country to kill your ambitions and stop you causing trouble for me" thing in the us?

if you're referring to the un post it's a actually a cabinet position now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

UberJew posted:

it could be worse; it could be the pipeline thread

how many people are arguing that the use of eminent domain in this case was good

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

UberJew posted:

does it have guns germs and steel

duh

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
actually tbqh the world is flat shouldn't be compared to any of the other books mentioned b/c while all of the others are disgusting friedman is a complete idiot to a possibly unchallenged degree and frankly illiterate

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i don't think he can be compared with an evil piece of poo poo like levitt, he's just incapable of thinking or speaking in any way comprehensible to other humans

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

how many people are arguing that the use of eminent domain in this case was good

idk because it is mostly an argument involving the only two people in america who believe the sheriff's press releases

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i realized the other day that now people might think i have my avatar because of the tolerance frog on twitter

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

UberJew posted:

idk because it is mostly an argument involving the only two people in america who believe the sheriff's press releases

i overestimated the complexity of the thread's arguments

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Eminent domain is always good because property is theft

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hmm you might have a point

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Eminent domain is always good because property is theft

eminent domain is often used to hand property over to a private company

double theft

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why is there a limit on the number of "copies" of an ebook that can be checked out from my library

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

why is there a limit on the number of "copies" of an ebook that can be checked out from my library

because publishers loving loathe libraries and want them to be destroyed forever

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

that's how electronic ebook licenses purchased from publishers work. it's pretty much the same in most if not all libraries.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

well as a taxpayer,

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

that's how electronic ebook licenses purchased from publishers work. it's pretty much the same in most if not all libraries.

even better they usually have a circulation cap, where after a given ebook 'copy' has been checked out a certain number of times the license is terminated

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I actually would've benefitted from a Charter School program as someone with HFA.
I'm going to give DeVros a good pass.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

UberJew posted:

even better they usually have a circulation cap, where after a given ebook 'copy' has been checked out a certain number of times the license is terminated

yikes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I actually would've benefitted from a Charter School program as someone with HFA.

get the gently caress out of here

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

As an aspiring novelist I can't be against practices that might cause more copies of my book to sell.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

As an aspiring novelist I can't be against practices that might cause more copies of my book to sell.

guillotine

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

tip: none copies of your book are going to sell

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

get the gently caress out of here
How is she bad, compared to the rest of Trump's cabinet?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
tip: supporting publisher in loving over libraries so that there's even fewer ways to access books is not good, and in fact i would post, bad

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Grouchio posted:

lol

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
oh dont worry about her shes not bad compared to this literal nazi

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

UberJew posted:

guillotine

B-b-but it's about the glorious proletariat!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

*through white hood* how am i racist, compared to the rest of the people at this cross burning

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

"How is this bad, compared to the other layers of hell?" asked grouchio as they were carried away by the hurricane winds that tore unceasingly at their body

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
so it goes, he intoned

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

she's not a nazi, she just hates the idea of public schools

it's fine

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

B-b-but it's about the glorious proletariat!

you are a shame to the cause of anime marxism

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Badger of Basra posted:

tip: none copies of your book are going to sell
you're so vicious :allears:

sng i'm an aspiring novelist too and next year i'm going to do what my family have been dreading all my life, quit my job to work full-time on my book. i never intended to do this but trump and leonard in one week have thrown my world view into total disarray and i am not entirely sure that we as a species will make it through another decade so my new philosophy is "gently caress it"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

UberJew posted:

"How is this bad, compared to the other layers of hell?" asked grouchio as they were carried away by the hurricane winds that tore unceasingly at their body
That does seem to be the impression these circumstances are giving, yes. Okay, here's a better question:
What if I just ignored all of this and went on with my daily college routine? There's nothing I can do really.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Avshalom posted:

quit my job to work full-time on my book.
*Sucks air through teeth*
The election has been bit of a trauma to the benifit of my writing too.

UberJew posted:

you are a shame to the cause of anime marxism

Pretty sure a tsukumogami of the communist manifesto causing trouble in Neo Makai is the zenith of anime Marxism.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

you're so vicious :allears:

sng i'm an aspiring novelist too and next year i'm going to do what my family have been dreading all my life, quit my job to work full-time on my book. i never intended to do this but trump and leonard in one week have thrown my world view into total disarray and i am not entirely sure that we as a species will make it through another decade so my new philosophy is "gently caress it"

I think that's a good idea, good luck!!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Pretty sure a tsukumogami of the communist manifesto causing trouble in Neo Makai is the zenith of anime Marxism.

Not if the trouble caused is to free public libraries to provide profits to capitalist publishers comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think that's a good idea, good luck!!
lol thanks matoi

i trust your advice on life and careers about as much as i trust vanya's, i'm not sure if that means i do or don't trust it but either way it's the truth

• Locked thread