Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

The base stats are higher because it's a starter? Hmm, these 4 levels make a big difference. Thanks!

You've killed more things with it.

Each Pokemon you beat gives a hidden bonus to stat growth in a specific stat. Kill more = better stat gains. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't already know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Are there big changes to how damage is calculated in longer battles or when using the same moves?

Against the elite four, the moves I'm using keep dealing slightly more damage each time, and they're just Dazzling Gleam and Brick Break

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Ughhhh, this Razor Claw. 5% chance to be held by a 5% spawn. Even with a compound eyes/thief Butterfree leading the party, still no sign of one. A handful of Jangmo-os, but all empty handed.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
4th island spoilers:
god dammit, Hapu, why does your gastrodon have recover. :argh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jarbv posted:

Are there big changes to how damage is calculated in longer battles or when using the same moves?

Against the elite four, the moves I'm using keep dealing slightly more damage each time, and they're just Dazzling Gleam and Brick Break

Moves vary between 85% and 100% of their base damage, randomly. You're just getting weird damage variance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jarbv posted:

No, but every time you use a move it does between .85 and 1× damage so your rolls may have lined up weirdly.

Also if your holding a metronome and do th3 same move in a row it gains power.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
So I guess the best early combination to do HA/SOS chaining would be an abra with sync+nature, compound eyes/thief butterfree, lvl 25 Sylveon (it will learn skill swap). Wish I had known this earlier haha. Just got to the 3rd island and man this game is great.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Does anyone know how to get a pikachu with a hat yet? Asking for a friend.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Reiley posted:

look left buddy

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Reiley posted:

Probably an event Pokemon like Spiky-eared Pichu

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

So I guess the best early combination to do HA/SOS chaining would be an abra with sync+nature, compound eyes/thief butterfree, lvl 25 Sylveon (it will learn skill swap). Wish I had known this earlier haha. Just got to the 3rd island and man this game is great.

You don't really need the abra if you're willing to do a bit of breeding. If you catch a female with the hidden ability you can just breed it with a male of the right nature who holds an everstone. If you catch a male with a hidden ability you just breed it with a ditto until you get a daughter with the ability then do the everstone thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

this is a good choice, alola raichu is good & strong & also maybe the cutest

[source]

I just decided to bring one of these cuties onto my team, this is good :kimchi:

e: it might also be the #1 Pokémon I want a shiny of right now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

why is there such a lack of shoes & socks in this game
the only socks that are visible only go to below the knee (with the exception of the god-awful camo ones), there aren't any tights, and the only shoes that don't look like sneakers are sandals
and I can't wear socks with sandals, no matter how fancy the sandals are

I know "classy fashion" was supposed to be XY's main thing, but c'mon gamefreak, you are killing me here

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

the only socks that are visible only go to below the knee (with the exception of the god-awful camo ones), there aren't any tights, and the only shoes that don't look like sneakers are sandals

I know "classy fashion" was supposed to be XY's main thing, but c'mon gamefreak, you are killing me here

I just made it an effort to look goofy instead :3: Still, they should've had 3x the fashion options now that you get to see your character in combat, doing silly dances and such.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I just made it an effort to look goofy instead :3: Still, they should've had 3x the fashion options now that you get to see your character in combat, doing silly dances and such.
See, the thing is, in XY, we already had the giant character model for showing off fashion, it was just never utilized outside of trying on clothes + the battle intro animation
why didn't they just port over a ton of the models from XY that never got used aside from that

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Did you check the clothes store in the mall next to the pokemon center in the first city? I know I've seen what looked like overknee socks on someone in the festival plaza.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

See, the thing is, in XY, we already had the giant character model for showing off fashion, it was just never utilized outside of trying on clothes + the battle intro animation
why didn't they just port over a ton of the models from XY that never got used aside from that

The fancy store in Hau'oli City would be the perfect place to put all of the XY fashion and have it "make sense". They could even have made it super expensive and I still would've bought it :( Missed opportunity for sure.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Akett posted:

Did you check the clothes store in the mall next to the pokemon center in the first city? I know I've seen what looked like overknee socks on someone in the festival plaza.
That store sells expensive shoes and even more expensive hats
The only tall socks I've seen are the ones from konikoni, that end just below the knee. No thigh-highs or tights anywhere in sight. :(

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Blaziken386 posted:

That store sells expensive shoes and even more expensive hats
The only tall socks I've seen are the ones from konikoni, that end just below the knee. No thigh-highs or tights anywhere in sight. :(

At least for the girl protagonist, you can get thigh-highs in the first or second boutique.

I know this because I wore them for the entire game.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm usually more into the monster collection in these games than any real strategic stuff, but I've been planning out my team today. Mostly just going for type coverage and using new guys, how does this look?

Incineroar, Toucannon, Raichu, Crabominable, Mimikyu, and Toxapex

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You can high five Mimikuyu in Pokemon Refresh. :swoon:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pyroi posted:

At least for the girl protagonist, you can get thigh-highs in the first or second boutique.

I know this because I wore them for the entire game.
what. :catbert:
how did I miss them?
e: they were in the first shop in the game, am I friggin' blind or something

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 23, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Countblanc posted:

Give the drat horse Slack Off

I'm pretty sure that the lack of recovery is specifically an intentional balancing factor, given Stamina Mudsdale is already incredibly good.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Blaziken386 posted:

what. :catbert:
how did I miss them?

Did you remember to channel the spirit of FABULOUSNESS?

(They're called Over-The-Knee)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there some tool where I can plot in my Pokémon types and see what I cover/what I'm weak against?

After some quick googling I just found tools that want you to put in specific Pokémon but of course they don't have the SuMo ones, and I'm pretty sure some of the type combinations in SuMo are new?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm usually more into the monster collection in these games than any real strategic stuff, but I've been planning out my team today. Mostly just going for type coverage and using new guys, how does this look?

Incineroar, Toucannon, Raichu, Crabominable, Mimikyu, and Toxapex
Looks fine, just know that the crab doesn't evolve until the area right before the E4. (Its pre-evo still does fine before you get there, just don't get surprised at how long it takes)

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm pretty sure that the lack of recovery is specifically an intentional balancing factor, given Stamina Mudsdale is already incredibly good.
It's broken enough in-game, where you can healspam while stacking up Stamina, and then murder dudes with Earthquake/Heavy Slam/whatever. God bless this stupid horse.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pyroi posted:

Did you remember to channel the spirit of FABULOUSNESS?

(They're called Over-The-Knee)
I now have the best socks.
Kinda wish they included striped ones too, but oh well.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

spoiler in the ending credits: your boy guzma has a regular looking pair of shades in his photo wtf

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

other big spoiler: who else has a mom this crazy?? huh??

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Does Akala Island not have a hair place?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cicadas! posted:

This is correct with the caveat that if breeding with a ditto, the males WILL pass down their ball type now.

Does this apply to genderless mons? I'd like to pass down the ball my metagross is in for instance.

Also is the game going to have a national dex? Like after we transfer our pokemon via the bank is that going to pop up because I'm reading some confusing poo poo about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've been avoiding this thread ever since the game got leaked, but I just beat Moon and I gotta say, it was really really good. If not the best Pokemon game, definitely one of the best. Probably my favourite either way. And since I don't know what spoiler policy has been since the game got released, i'll just put all my thoughts under bars.

Everything about the game was fantastic. Great Pokemon selection, most of the new mechanics worked well and were interesting, great music, good characters, it had everything. Moreso than any other pokemon game Sun and Moon used returning pokemon from old generations really well. Not just through Alola forms, but through how pokemon you'd usually get late in other pokemon games you can find in the first few routes in gen vii. It's awesome that I can get a Misdreavus from route 2, or Delibird or Vullaby from route 3, a Growlithe before the first trial. It's awesome, and gives reason to use some older pokemon I liked but never had in my main party before since they showed up too late. I hope they keep this trend in future games. Most of the new Pokemon are also really cool, and I could find most of the ones I wanted to use in the first half of the game (Except Mimikyu :( ). I had like 10 pokemon I was consistently switching through throughout the game, and some more I played around with for a bit, which was a new experience for me but I liked it a lot.

I was a bit worried about trials before I played the game, since they were an entirely new thing I thought they might not have been implemented well but I found them pretty fun. Totem Pokemon were more challenging than I expected and some had pretty Interesting strategies with their helper pokemon. And since those were occassionally long drawn out battles with one super-powered pokemon, it kinda encouraged me to use all those x-items i'd been accumulating, which I appreciated. The trial format was also good for fleshing out the captains. As a whole they're a lot better than any gym leader group, even the Unova ones. They just get more appearances and chances to interact with the player, and a couple of them even basically have small sidequests you can do to face them in a battle after their trial which was really neat.

Speaking of that though, most of the characters in this game were pretty cool, even if their teams could've used an extra pokemon or two. Kukui is easily the best professor and although it takes a bit for Hau to get more than two pokemon I thought him a good character and rival. And most of the important characters had decently interesting relationships with characters outside of the protag, which helped them out a lot (even if that made the silent and un-emotive protagonist feel out of place and even more boring). Even some of the minor characters ended up being pretty memorable, and it felt like the game had a fairly developed cast and story. Although I wish the Team Skull stuff got to breath more rather than being basically all in the 3rd island, what we got from them showed them to be a fun team and their grunts are great so I wish they got to do more stuff. They were still cool but I wanted more.

In general though the game might have been stuffed with just a little too many things. I enjoyed the concept of the Zygarde cells but they really could have used a map, and things like Festival Plaza and Poke Pelago just open up without telling the player and feel like ideas the creators thought would be cool but weren't entirely sure of how to introduce them to the player. It sets good precedent for these things to become common to future games in the series though, which i'm cool with because they were all pretty fun. But as a whole I think everything came together really well.

Basically this game ruled a whole lot, and I might need to get Sun so I can play it again in a slightly different format since I enjoyed it so much. And also use Alola Vulpix, since it's incredibly messed up that you can't catch one in Moon. :argh:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

jarbv posted:

other big spoiler: who else has a mom this crazy?? huh??

Was she really crazy? Or was she was possessed by interdimensional Jellyfish?? Probably a bit of both tbf, but that should be taken into account.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SyntheticPolygon posted:

most of the characters in this game were pretty cool, even if their teams could've used an extra pokemon or two
This has been my biggest complaint about the game. I don't mind randoms only having one or two mons, but it's a bit silly when you get to the plot climax and most major characters still only have 4 mons at most.

Is Gamefreak worried we don't have the attention span for longer fights or something?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I don't know why they don't provide clothing of all the trainers you find in the game. I would like to look like an ace trainer or a swimmer. It is there already!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I want to wear the Exeggutor dress the dancers wear

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Was she really crazy? Or was she was possessed by interdimensional Jellyfish?? Probably a bit of both tbf, but that should be taken into account.

no, her mom's just crazy. Kind of like how my mom spends the entire game unpacking boxes, then never removing the boxes. Except she calls her children literally useless and is the most harsh parent in the Poke universe, and other universes. It's weird how much more empathy I had for Lillie and Gladion after the whole thing, too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Haifisch posted:

This has been my biggest complaint about the game. I don't mind randoms only having one or two mons, but it's a bit silly when you get to the plot climax and most major characters still only have 4 mons at most.

Is Gamefreak worried we don't have the attention span for longer fights or something?

Yeah it's weird. The fact that Hau and Gladion only have 4 each in their fights right before the league is incredibly messed up. Even if they have pretty decent choices for those 4 pokemon. I think X and Y had a similar design philosophy though. maybe they just want it to be a real big moment when you finally fight someone with a team of 6 or something?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Anyone know which berry trees can spawn Hondew, Qualot, and Grepa berries? I have the other three EV-lowering berries, but I'm having a tough time on the others, and I especially need me a Hondew berry for my physical attackers. Outside of Super Trainer in Gen VI that made it trivially easy and Game Freak should be ashamed they didn't bring it back, I don't generally min-max EVs, but using berries to eliminate useless EVs gives me something to do once I've finished all the other major postgame stuff since I hate and avoid Battle Tower-type stuff and will just be grinding cash from repeatable fights.

Also, I'm planning to trade for version exclusives with a friend of mine, but they always nickname all their Pokemon and I never do, but I thought it'd be nice to nickname the ones I trade over so their collection looks consistent, but I'm having trouble coming up with pro-tier names. So far, I've only got one for Passimian, Eli Mandrill (I'm open to suggestions for improvement on this one), but still need names for Alolan Vulpix, Turtonator, Buzzwole, and Kartana, though for Kartana I was thinking "Paper Mon" like Paper Moon but while they'd get the reference it feels like a weak pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Ughhhh, this Razor Claw. 5% chance to be held by a 5% spawn. Even with a compound eyes/thief Butterfree leading the party, still no sign of one. A handful of Jangmo-os, but all empty handed.
Are you chaining SOS battles? That way you get way more Jangmo-os and Hakamo-os without having to hit the 5% again and sometimes they spawn a Kommo-o, which has 50% chance to hold one (or 60% depending on if Compound Eyes works for helping pokemon or not, I'm not sure). Note that the Kommo-o doesn't call for help though, so if it doesn't have a claw, kill it and keep chaining with the others.