Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

tenderjerk posted:

Can anyone recommend the currently on sale I am Setsuna? I'm ok w/boring narratives/characters as long as the gameplay is cool

And recommend me an av if you've got the time/inclination

It's fine. It has some really cool atmosphere in places but the characters are pretty flat. I bought it and played through it and felt like it was a decent game overall, but your mileage may vary. On sale it's a much safer bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

tenderjerk posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tenderjerk posted:

Can anyone recommend the currently on sale I am Setsuna? I'm ok w/boring narratives/characters as long as the gameplay is cool

It has some cool ideas but devolves into using one move over and over to win every fight which is not only the fastest but mechanically most optimal way to win the fight

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Getsuya posted:

Recently I dug up this bizarre gem of an RPG on GBA called Tomato Adventure. It's an original game by the folks who made the Mario & Luigi RPG series for GBA. In it you play a few kids in a country populated entirely by children, but you're locked up in this prison town because you don't like tomatoes and apparently the child-run government worships tomatoes (the country is called Ketchup Kingdom). According to Japanese fans there's all kinds of weird Earthbound-esque mindscrewery that happens but even without that it's got a really neat art style, nice music and an awesome combat system. Each of your characters can equip 'gimmicks' which are individual attacks, each with their own special QTE you have to do to use them. Each has a base damage level if you fail the QTE, but then you can also go in and tweak the difficulty level of the QTE to adjust the damage for when you're successful. The unfortunate thing is that the highest levels of the QTEs are absolutely broken, making it impossible to succeed with even the first weapon you get if you try to set it to max, but it's a good risk-reward system if you just play around between difficulty levels 1-5 or so. I set them at 4 and that seems to be a pretty good sweet spot of not being really easy and still giving me good damage output.

I don't think this was every translated but it uses 9/10ths hiragana with very little kanji so as far as Japanese games go it's actually on the easier side if you've studied at all.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who ever bothered to import this :) It's a fun little gem of a game, isn't it? You can certainly see the AlphaDream/Mario&Luigi influence within it, but it has it's own unique spin on the formula.

Incidentally I found this early-stage translation patch here, which apparently translates some menus and text but is far from complete: http://matotree.com/2010/12/tomato-adventure-translation-stuff/

Nevertheless, it might help out if someone wants to give the game a try.

Speaking of old GBA stuff in Japanese, I'd highly recommend Magical Vacation. This is a turn-based title by Brownie Brown, who were apparently involved in several titles in the Mana series. The visuals are gorgeous and it's really a joy to play. The follow-up, Magical Starsign, was released in English on the DS but I'd say the original is worth playing as well.

There's also a full translation patch here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2662/

edit: Apparently the translation patch for Magical Vacation can cause some sound issues, so you may have to try different emulators like No$GBA or whatever. Supposedly it works perfectly on gPSP Kai on PSP, which is fantastic and I'm going to load it up now, since I missed out much of the story with my poor Japanese ability back in 2003-ish. Also it seems to work flawlessly on 3DS as a CIA, if you've got homebrew.

edit2: Here's a YouTube playlist of a live translation of Tomato Adventure, if anyone wants a preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTXHERfsLtg

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 23, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Omega Quintet worth 8 dollars? I'm not really expecting quality since it's Idea Factory but i think I remember buzz that it has a sphere grid progression system which piqued my interest.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If you're playing Cold Steel or Cold Steel 2 please use the Strongest Pair of Laura and Fie. They're kind of exceptional, especially when Fie is given all the speed+, crit+ and ailment materia and wields Laura as a second weapon.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Omega Quintet worth 8 dollars? I'm not really expecting quality since it's Idea Factory but i think I remember buzz that it has a sphere grid progression system which piqued my interest.

Yeah, I'd say so. I mean, it's their first try at a PS4 game so the performance isn't as good as it could be, but it's a pretty different game and an interesting thing to try out so long as your expectations are set at the right level. Don't play hard on your first try because the game will slaughter you with the worst gimmick imaginable, the resource-free 'gently caress you I interrupt and get a turn'.

Plan out your sphere grids to get to the good stuff quickly, because you are extremely unlikely to complete it on your first go through the game.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
I'll go echo that - don't play Omega Quintet on any difficulty higher than the easiest one because of that mechanic on your first playthrough. It is incredibly unbalancing and will likely make you swear off the game because it makes everything a pain in the rear end, especially if you run into the unfortunate problem of getting a surprise attack in and getting hit with it, because they completely nullify your surprise attack. Yes, enemies can bust out a super from that gimmick, and they can wipe your team before you get to do anything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

And do it multiple times in a row!

But, yeah, the rest of the game isn't what I'd call good but is kind of a surprising shift in tone by IF's standards.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

e: unsticking an incredibly insightful post

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

good av, don't let em have

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

hubris.height posted:

good av, don't let em have

It's buried in a dead lp thread and probably wouldn't see light otherwise. I'm not going to use it, so I don't really mind.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the king of dragon pass port on steam sucks. no resolution options and the text cuts off the right side of my monitor, making the game unplayable :waycool:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Getsuya posted:

It's buried in a dead lp thread and probably wouldn't see light otherwise. I'm not going to use it, so I don't really mind.

What game is even involved with that weird and good av?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
What RPGs are y'all buying on sale?

I feel compelled to complete my Nepnep collection, but I'm only like 2 hours into the first game :I

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What game is even involved with that weird and good av?

Popolocrois for PS1. It's an amazing classic and is one of the most nostalgic and beloved PS1-era RPG franchises in Japan, but the only version we got was a butchered stitched-together abridged version of 1&2 that was on PSP. Also we got the 3DS sequel/midquel/crossover Return to Popolocrois.

My own av is also from it. I was LPing the first game but real life got in the way so it's basically dead. It's also physically impossible to fan translate so sadly about the only way to experience it is to look up translation LPs on Youtube. There probably is one.

One of the best parts of the series were the great TV ads. They pretty much pushed the emotional fairy-tale story of the games more than anything else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gQwxm50NQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgorGQctf9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2UQ_s9a1EE

The Machine posted:

What RPGs are y'all buying on sale?

7th Dragon III for 3DS. It's only $10 off but I've been looking for an excuse to grab this since it was one of my favorite PSP series.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm gonna pick up a PS4 on Black Friday, my current plan for games is World of Final Fantasy and possibly Dragon Quest Builders and then to hold off and pick up FFXIV next week. If I get games at Gamestop, I can get a buy two get one free deal and pick up maybe Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Any other PS4 exclusive rpgs I should keep in mind?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm gonna pick up a PS4 on Black Friday, my current plan for games is World of Final Fantasy and possibly Dragon Quest Builders and then to hold off and pick up FFXIV next week. If I get games at Gamestop, I can get a buy two get one free deal and pick up maybe Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Any other PS4 exclusive rpgs I should keep in mind?

Just to make sure, you're picking up an mmo for consoles...?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tae posted:

FFXIV is fine on PS4. The controller interface is great (I use it on PC) and there aren't really any third party mods you're missing out on. All you can't do is parse your DPS, which is against the TOS anyway.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tae posted:

I meant fifteen gently caress

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I was just clarifying because what I learn is that a lot of ff people literally do not know 14 exists.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tae posted:

I was just clarifying because what I learn is that a lot of ff people literally do not know 14 exists.

I actually played 14 on PC because I was incredibly bored, it was a decent game but eventually I realized I was going to have to interact with other people and guilds and poo poo and I hate doing that and I realized that I have no business playing an MMO if I think guilds are stupid. I very actively hated FF13 and was not planning on playing 15 but I saw someone play the Japanese demo where they had the Stand By Me song playing while the party was pushing the busted down car and that was a pretty cool piece of cinematography and I'll give that poo poo a shot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's worth playing through ff14's main story because it's actually really good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's like chrono trigger but without the sprite animations that made that slog halfway bearable.

wait did you just call chrono trigger a slog. what, how. it's one of the best paced RPGs ever and is over in about 20 hours, you never need to grind, there's no random encounters to bog you down, you're never stuck in one area doing menial tasks too long, etc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

wait did you just call chrono trigger a slog. what, how. it's one of the best paced RPGs ever and is over in about 20 hours, you never need to grind, there's no random encounters to bog you down, you're never stuck in one area doing menial tasks too long, etc

The combat is pretty mediocre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Congrats on finally getting a hook Endorph

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i enjoyed chrono trigger but i don't think its encounter system is a point in its favor. on one hand, you don't randomly get tossed into encounters because of rng. on the other hand, you get tossed into encounters constantly anyway and you get tossed into the exact same encounters when revisiting an area. there are other jrpgs that clock in around the same length or shorter that i had more fun with overall

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 24, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

I love Chrono Trigger, but I can see the issues people have it gameplay wise, it has the same problem as FFXIII where location/positioning of enemies and your party is something that matters, but there is nothing you can actually do to alter that during battle and while no random encounters can be something going for it there is also problems with it such as dick enemy placement or just straight up battle rooms that might as well be random encounters because there was nothing you could to stop the battle from starting without knowledge ahead of time or creeping around the edges of the map because of development oversight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like CT but the way it handles on-field encounters becomes a pain the second you retrace a step.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
:henget:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm like 4 hours into cold steel and man, it's kinda painfully cliche in a way that's disappointing compared to Trails in the Sky. I also want Machias to be kicked in the nuts.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't call it more cliche, but the setting and cast size mean you're starting off with a lot of surface-level introductions before getting to know the characters better.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

I'm like 4 hours into cold steel and man, it's kinda painfully cliche in a way that's disappointing compared to Trails in the Sky. I also want Machias to be kicked in the nuts.

Machias, thankfully, will get his poo poo fixed relatively quickly in the game. He's also not that major a protagonist compared to some of the other Class VII members, and you're gonna get a pretty long break from the colossal chip on his shoulder soon with the first Field Study.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Tae posted:

it starts off anime, becomes less anime, then becomes Anime+

its good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's anime all the way down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tae posted:

The competition for worst first impressions is fierce but most of the cast will turn out okay or at least have their moments, and they're all better in CS2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

The story goes really interesting places and I like the cast more than I did in Sky.

And Machias chills out. The entire cast is messed up teenagers tossed together at random with a bunch of people they have nothing in common with and put into a really volatile situation. of course they're all kind of pissy at each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Congrats on finally getting a hook Endorph

im not baiting. i'd prefer random encounters to chrono trigger's system, at least random encounter systems usually have some sort of item or trick you can do to make them pop up less and at least it doesn't make retreading through areas even more of a pain than it already is in RPGs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tenderjerk posted:

i can't anti-recommend im setsuna hard enough. i finished it two weeks ago and i'm reposting my reaction to it from the steam thread:

im setsuna trip report:

I AM SETSUNA is a modern jrpg developed by one of Square Enix's child companies that tries to be Chrono Trigger. And I don't mean that lightly--sure, you play as a silent protagonist and have extremely open-ended partybuilding, but this game gets really loving on-the-nose about that poo poo. There are locked chests all over frickin' creation that you can't access until you get an ancient heirloom artifact. The silent protagonist's ultimate weapon is literally Crono's strongest sword, the Rainbow, all the way down to how it makes you do critical hits like 80% of the time. The girl's best weapon is Marle's Valkyrie Bow, somebody gets Robo's Crisis Arm, etc. Someone learns Frog's strongest spell. The team techs are straight lifted from Chrono Trigger, with a couple cute references to Romancing SaGa 3(!), of all things. Just before the final boss, a character who's essentially Magus joins your party. I mean, the plot even goes off the loving rails to shoehorn some time travel in at the eleventh hour, along with a Chrono Cross reference.

I really liked the character and costume designs. Even if the main character does have a "Dark Knight Cecil's fursuit" thing going on with his helmet. The characters who are most inappropriately-dressed for im setsuna's perpetual winter setting are all dudes. Everyone has like fluttery clothes and poo poo, I love it.

There's a huge variety of attacks to choose from. They're all very powerful, but unfortunately, you don't really get to play around with them until later in the game. Furthermore, your access to spells is limited by the drops you manage to farm off enemies, so if you like having a good assortment of magic, well, I hope you like killing tons of poo poo, sometimes killing an enemy with no more than 3% damage over its max HP--yes, there's a drop condition for every item (though it's generously a 100% chance, except for their rare drop, which feels as high as like a 20% chance), and one of them is getting a more-or-less exact kill against a monster's health.

There were a lot of low-level spells I never had access to because their drop conditions are a little weird or require some cruel backtracking to get once you actually recruit characters with <appropriate magic element>.

I really liked some of the area designs. The music is great, but I would've liked more instruments instead of just the piano. C'mon, gimme some drums and brass or synth or something.

That's where the good ends.

The characters are superficially likable, but they just never, ever get enough screen time. I'm serious: by the time you get to the final boss, your party of only seven has had less character development than Lucca or Marle before you even learn about Lavos. I wanted to know them better, but unfortunately, the bulk of your playtime will be spent fighting poo poo and going through unnecessarily long caves and forests rather than on getting to see your characters shoot the poo poo.

I used a walkthrough for the endgame sidequests (because they're kind of stupid to find) and it describes some of the scenes as being extremely long-winded and among the most wordy ones in the game--and they're right, the scenes are probably longer than the big reveal right before the final boss--but none of them are any longer than Cecil and Rosa talking in his bedroom at the beginning of FF4.

The actual gameplay design is kind of abysmal. I already posted about the dungeon that resets itself every time you give the wrong answer to its questions. The entire game is kinda like that, though. It has that "old school" unforgiving JRPG attitude where you lose your progress to your previous save if you die, but it has those "new school" balance problems where some normal encounter enemies can wipe you by accident.

The boss fights are goddamn nightmares. You need to know the boss's gimmick before going into the fight. You need to know it. Or at least get lucky and bring the character you need with the correct skill equipped. It starts about halfway into the game with the Aurorean Tiger or whatever it's called, a boss that hits your party members so hard and fast that he'll one-shot any casters without a second thought and if even one hit in its combo is a crit, it'll will down anyone but the tankiest character in your roster. The solution? Cast Counter, which makes you evade all physical attacks and counterattack. You become literally invincible, but it takes like 30 minutes to whittle him down because of course you can't have a tank character with a high attack stat now, can you.

The next boss after him is a very powerful enemy who can heal himself faster than you can damage him, unless you bring the character who learns Dispel... but this presumes that you got the Exact Kill material off a specific type of bird enemy to get access to Dispel in the first place :downs:

Apparently, if you're really lucky, you can cheese it with status effect, but that requires you to land them.

The difficulty curve falls off sharply shortly thereafter. You get access to both passive and active abilities that basically quarter all incoming damage and double the damage you do... when you don't crit, but because of how these buffs and passives stack, when you do crit, you're doing like 16x damage. I killed the final boss in one attack. Which isn't a bad thing, I'd pretty much checked out by that point.

The ending... man, I dunno. It's maybe too existential for me. It was way too short for the length of the game (my personal philosophy is to shoot for roughly 30-60s per hour of game time, right), and it was, like... you can choose not to kill Setsuna when she asks you to, but she dies anyway? But then she comes back at the very end and watches you walk off into the distance without calling out to you or anything and ?????????? :psyduck: It feels like they missed the boat on this one: they made a game that tries to ape everything from the SNES era, but then fumbles it on the goal line because they needed it to have a melancholy ending per the demands of the modern era instead of just going all out like the games they purported to mimic did and make this no-holds-barred saccharine ending sequence that lasts like an entire frickin' half hour. HUGE mark against it.

I really wanted to like this game more than I did. Maybe I should've played the entire thing impaired out of my mind instead of just the first half of it

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Which Final Fantasy is better, 7 or 8?

9. But 6 before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

The story goes really interesting places and I like the cast more than I did in Sky.

And Machias chills out. The entire cast is messed up teenagers tossed together at random with a bunch of people they have nothing in common with and put into a really volatile situation. of course they're all kind of pissy at each other.

I don't dislike anyone except Machias. Everyone except him seems chill with each other. It's just a very annoying and persistent "CLASS SYSTEM!!!" when nobody remotely cares about that except him, even Jusis from his very first scene.

I got into my first battle at Celdic and almost lost half my party because these bugs were doing half my HP to my team. I'm assuming to just sell all my good and sepith mira to buy armor because wtf.

One minor confusing thing is when every other single person is voiced and for some reason Rean is just text at times, when he was talking just as much before.