Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I figure it's topical enough.

I've been struck by the desire to experience Fist of the North Star. Other than some clips over the years, I've never read or seen any of it. What's the best way to go about this? This is the manga thread so I figure the answer will be 'manga,' but I'm nonetheless curious. I did some reading and it seems like the movie is abridged and entirely different while the anime is less so but it still changes some things around; is there filler too, or is it still over-all good and faithful? Or no, stick with the manga?

My suggestion is to watch the first 25~ or so episodes of anime, and then switch over once Shin is defeated. Watching the anime he feels like a major boss at the end of the first chapter of a long RPG, whereas Ken beats him in like volume 2 of the manga. I enjoyed the buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

no one in manga has parents

This is kind of a thing in western comics too because it serves as a convenient reason for teenage superheroes not to be supervised and also can serve as motivation. I think it's even more prevalent in japanese manga probably because fathers tend to be pretty much absent in their children's lives because WORK WORK WORK (by which they mean sit at your computer at work accomplishing gently caress all while waiting for everyone else to give up and go home so you can look good in front of the boss)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Begemot posted:

I'm glad he takes regular breaks now, because I don't want him to die before he turns 40.
This scenario has been impossible for over a year now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slime posted:

This is kind of a thing in western comics too because it serves as a convenient reason for teenage superheroes not to be supervised and also can serve as motivation. I think it's even more prevalent in japanese manga probably because fathers tend to be pretty much absent in their children's lives because WORK WORK WORK (by which they mean sit at your computer at work accomplishing gently caress all while waiting for everyone else to give up and go home so you can look good in front of the boss)

Have you ever seen Huey, Dewey and Louie's parents? I don't think so.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Coaaab posted:

This scenario has been impossible for over a year now

Yeah, but turns out both ghosts and telekinesis are real, so that's cool.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
She Is The Rokurokubi (Kanojo wa Rokurokubi) ends next month :(

It was a cute series and had some really great art. A shame it only made it to 22 chapters. There's still some things left that probably won't get wrapped up in the last chapter.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RubberLuffy posted:

It was a cute series and had some really great art. A shame it only made it to 22 chapters. There's still some things left that probably won't get wrapped up in the last chapter.

It's a Stretch to hope everything will be resolved.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You monster

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not sad for WT. It had a cool idea in there and it refuses to pull the trigger on it.

I really want to like TPN but I really need it to get to the opposite end of this current arc before I can call it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 20, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

RubberLuffy posted:

It's alright for series to end. It feels like it led up to that point pretty naturally and gracefully, so having it end at its natural stopping point is pretty much the best thing that can be hoped for. I really enjoyed it too, I loved the characters' facial expressions. There is this kind of shakiness or "liquidness" to the art style that I find really appealing.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

It's alright for series to end. It feels like it led up to that point pretty naturally and gracefully, so having it end at its natural stopping point is pretty much the best thing that can be hoped for. I really enjoyed it too, I loved the characters' facial expressions. There is this kind of shakiness or "liquidness" to the art style that I find really appealing.

I like the "scratchiness" of the art, it's not super clean and it's really expressive and the characters designs are attractive. I really like how much fun the author had with a lead character with a elongated neck, lots of scenes of her just lazing about with her head like 20 feet away, and whenever she gets startled and her head flies into the air. And the kiss from the newest chapter. I look forward to the authors next work.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ConanThe3rd posted:

I really want to like TPN but I really need it to get to the opposite end of this current arc before I can call it.

I get the feeling that The Promised Neverland, if it makes it past the escape and becomes a long runner, will end up as something that would have worked better as a short story focused just on the escape.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

I get the feeling that The Promised Neverland, if it makes it past the escape and becomes a long runner, will end up as something that would have worked better as a short story focused just on the escape.

I don't know. It's possible, but personally with the twists and surprises this series has managed so far, I'm most interested in how they'll execute the escape but still quite interesting in finding out what's out in the world beyond the walls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet that in TPM at some point the kids are going to find out they have telekinesis and it's going to become a battle manga.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RubberLuffy posted:

I like the "scratchiness" of the art, it's not super clean and it's really expressive and the characters designs are attractive. I really like how much fun the author had with a lead character with a elongated neck, lots of scenes of her just lazing about with her head like 20 feet away, and whenever she gets startled and her head flies into the air. And the kiss from the newest chapter. I look forward to the authors next work.

Agreed. I can't really articulate what I like about the style so much but I think "expressive" gets me most of the way there.

I am what I was made into!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Jump's new manga Demon's Plan was neat. Has a different premise than usual at least. Hope Viz and/or a scanlator keep translating it, though I've felt that way about the last two new Jump manga too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Demon's Plan seems a tad more interesting than Red Sprite but WOW does it reek of fujo bait.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Demon's Plan seems pretty generic and potentially annoying to me. Remember the parts of Naruto where Naruto moped about Sasuke turning evil? Does anyone actually want to read more of that sort of thing?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Demon's Plan seems pretty generic and potentially annoying to me. Remember the parts of Naruto where Naruto moped about Sasuke turning evil? Does anyone actually want to read more of that sort of thing?

I find the battles to be confusing from Ch 1 and not sure if I can tolerate reading vol of it. If anything it made me miss HxH :sigh:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

Sure?

Like at least they set up their relationship early as hell, and thus given the reader proof that these two people at some point in time were actual real friends and had a close bond. Rather than shoehorning in flashbacks after the fact.

The Premise is interesting, they managed to create a world I find interesting enough(even if it is just a generic YA dystopia). And Both characters had been characterized pretty well for one introduction chapter.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The two guys in Demon's Plan wanna gently caress. And I'm glad of it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Rest in piss, Red Sprite. Last chapter is this week.

I kinda feel bad for the mangaka, this is his second cancellation I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

OTOH this happening led to My hero academia

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Promised Neverland is cool as poo poo. Is it a weekly series? I've been looking for another good weekly story to follow.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fabricated posted:

Aw, what? :( I was enjoying it too!

Guess I'll file it into the "too cool for Jump" pile, along with Double Arts and Mx0.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

Aw, what? :( I was enjoying it too!

Guess I'll file it into the "too cool for Jump" pile, along with Double Arts and Mx0.

Red Sprite has good art and alright fights, but the general plot and setting always seemed kind of uninspired. Mx0 had much better fights, which is pretty important in this sort of shounen manga*. Still always feel a little bad when a series that isn't super terrible is cancelled though (and also feel bad for the author, because getting into WSJ and then getting quickly cancelled must be super depressing).

* I feel like the most important thing is for the characters' powers/abilities to be easily understandable and for the fights to be interesting and make sense. This is important because you want something where the kids watching it can discuss match-ups between the characters with their friends or imagine them fighting with their action figures. Examples of series that are/were good with this are HxH and earlier Naruto; both had a stable of characters with well-defined abilities used in a creative fashion. Red Sprite (and also many other series) are pretty bad at this; the main character's ability is something that seems to just make him generically stronger/faster and he seems to arbitrarily win or lose. Magnetic guy was kinda cool, but he also never did anything that interesting with his abilities despite beat a bunch of mooks and job to that elite squad.

edit2: oh, World Trigger is another manga with great battles, despite its lackluster setting. I would enjoy that series even if it was nothing but a neverending tournament. It easily has the best team battles of any manga I've read.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 23, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fabricated posted:

Didn't even make it as long as his last series, Iron Knight, despite being way better :(

Oh well at least Promised Neverland continues to be great, and get good rankings!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

Didn't even make it as long as his last series, Iron Knight, despite being way better :(

Oh well at least Promised Neverland continues to be great, and get good rankings!

Oh, he did Iron Knight? I totally forgot about that series and never noticed it was cancelled, but I remember enjoying it. The guy is a great artist, so I hope he manages to succeed with something someday.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, he did Iron Knight? I totally forgot about that series and never noticed it was cancelled, but I remember enjoying it. The guy is a great artist, so I hope he manages to succeed with something someday.

Agreed, I didn't realize he was the Iron Knight guy. That series had some fantastic art and designs.

Seconding Jose, hope this guy finds his MHA soon. Even though I'm still bitter that Oumagadoki was canceled, that series was wonderful.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I want more from the Pretty Face/Mx0 author.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
At least we'll always have the Iron Knight one-shot which is still really rad.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sonata Mused posted:

I want more from the Pretty Face/Mx0 author.

Ahahaha, you might not actually. His current series is called KissxDeath and has lots of not good fanservice

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kiss x Death is okay. The story and action are pretty decent but yeah it's held back by the fanservice. Basically every modern shounen has fanservice though(even the really good ones like One Piece or MxO).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How are we defining 'bad' fanservice these days though? Just out-of-place T&A in scenes it has no reason to be in, camera angles that emphasise T&A over important things, or actual skeevy stuff like that one comic about the shrine girl/ghost-clothes whose name I don't care to recall?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Huh, no idea he had a new series.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The second chapter of Demon's Plan reveals that there's going to be a Highlander-style battle among 108 otherwise-immortal demons (including Boro and Carlos) with the winner getting their wish granted. I guess the idea is that to be selected by the Demon's Plan in the first place, you have to want whatever you wish for badly enough to be willing throw away immortality for a chance at it. Though if Boro and Carlos are the last two standing, I suppose nothing would stop them from just staying immortal instead of killing each other. Or maybe it will end with Boro being the last survivor and using his wish to bring Carlos back to life, assuming the manga doesn't get cancelled first.

This went in a somewhat different direction than I expected from the first chapter, but it's still not super-promising.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The second chapter of Demon's Plan reveals that there's going to be a Highlander-style battle among 108 otherwise-immortal demons (including Boro and Carlos) with the winner getting their wish granted. I guess the idea is that to be selected by the Demon's Plan in the first place, you have to want whatever you wish for badly enough to be willing throw away immortality for a chance at it. Though if Boro and Carlos are the last two standing, I suppose nothing would stop them from just staying immortal instead of killing each other. Or maybe it will end with Boro being the last survivor and using his wish to bring Carlos back to life, assuming the manga doesn't get cancelled first.

This went in a somewhat different direction than I expected from the first chapter, but it's still not super-promising.

Well, after they got super powers at the end of the first chapter there was no way this wasn't going to be a Battle Manga, it was just a question of how they were going to do it. But I didn't expect the Hunger Games either.

I gotta wait til Monday to find out how the execution is though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pierson posted:

How are we defining 'bad' fanservice these days though? Just out-of-place T&A in scenes it has no reason to be in, camera angles that emphasise T&A over important things, or actual skeevy stuff like that one comic about the shrine girl/ghost-clothes whose name I don't care to recall?

I think this would be actually an interesting topic of discussion for a thread. We've had some unusual, non-series megathread, non-"Just for fun" type threads over the years (like "What is slice of life?" ) and I think it'd be interesting to revisit such topics.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-25/knights-of-sidonia-tsutomu-nihei-launches-ningyo-no-kuni-manga-on-february-25/.109182

that one shot is getting a full series. i thought it was pretty subpar, but let's hope for a series with a better ending than sidonia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

I think this would be actually an interesting topic of discussion for a thread. We've had some unusual, non-series megathread, non-"Just for fun" type threads over the years (like "What is slice of life?" ) and I think it'd be interesting to revisit such topics.
TVIV and CineD often have threads focusing on eras, genres, or aspects of film-making all the time so that sounds cool. Fanservice specifically might be a lot of work for mods though since with a topic like that would probably have to be policed more heavily than your average ADTRW thread to keep the bullshit to a minimum.