Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game is so depressing sometimes.

Just played a couple NC games. In both I was landing incredible shots, supporting teams at caps getting big damage numbers and then in both games my team folded like a wet paper bag. In the first, I deleted a full health Nurnberg and nearly deleted a broadside Dunkerque. In the second I took on a Scharnhorst *and* an Iowa at the same time and nearly killed them both. But I didn't have any support because my team up and killed themselves two minutes into the game.

This entire Thanksgiving weekend is gunna be like this isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

PST posted:

The Gnevny is fun. The Gnevny trying to fight 2 fletchers is not fun. Thank you very much wargaming.

A fail division of a Gnevny and a tier VI will see at most Bensons (tier VIII), so that's quite a trick you pulled off.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Just played a couple NC games. In both I was landing incredible shots, supporting teams at caps getting big damage numbers and then in both games my team folded like a wet paper bag. In the first, I deleted a full health Nurnberg and nearly deleted a broadside Dunkerque. In the second I took on a Scharnhorst *and* an Iowa at the same time and nearly killed them both. But I didn't have any support because my team up and killed themselves two minutes into the game.

I've just set Nachi as my universal voice to help chill.

I've actually researched the Iowa, but don't have the credits for it yet. Are Iowa and Montana worth getting, or does the US BB line peak with the NC?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Iowa is good, Montana is the worst of the T10 BBs though. Guns don't match Yamato or Kurfurst, and the improved AA doesn't make up the difference.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I haven't really played this since beta. I have a poo poo-ton of doubloons. Are there any must-buy premiums? What's the best money-printer? I have a murmansk and gremyashchy already.

Also, I should pick out 3-4 lines to go up at once so I can keep playing games. How are the Russian DD's and cruisers (already have premiums to train those captains?) What's the best battleship line overall? Should I just jump in and figure poo poo out? When I last played carriers were the scourge of the seas.

What are the must-have skills for different ship classes?

Sorry that's a lot of questions, but the game is pretty overwhelming and I don't want to gently caress up placing points or grinding down dead-ends.

Mahasamatman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 24, 2016

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mahasamatman posted:

Are there any must-buy premiums? What's the best money-printer?
If you like cruisers in general and IJN cruisers specifically, Atago is arguably one of the strongest cruisers in the game and makes tons of cash. Kutuzov is also very good and makes good money but has a less aggressive playstyle (like to sit back and spam HE from smoke). Tirpitz is also good but has been power creeped out a bit.

Really it depends on what you want to train captains for.

Mahasamatman posted:

Also, I should pick out 3-4 lines to go up at once so I can keep playing games. How are the Russian DD's and cruisers (already have premiums to train those captains?)
Both are quite good - cruisers in particular are very good. The Russian T7 and T8 DD's are widely regarded as being a bit weak at the moment but they're still fun ships.

Mahasamatman posted:

What's the best battleship line overall?
All three (IJN, US, Germany) are good and have particularly strong ships but the US T10 (Montana) has been quite underpowered for a long time. Pick Germany if you like brawling and going balls deep, IJN if you like fast BB's with somewhat less armor (at least up to T9) and/or want the most faceroll-y T10 BB, or US if you hate planes, want good generalists and can tolerate going 20 knots up to and including T7.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 24, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Mahasamatman posted:

Also, I should pick out 3-4 lines to go up at once so I can keep playing games. How are the Russian DD's and cruisers (already have premiums to train those captains?)

What are the must-have skills for different ship classes?

For what TheFluff hasn't already covered, the Khabarovsk is widely considered the best destroyer in the game on the Asia server and quite possibly the NA server as well. If you're aiming for end game ships to play tier 10 or clan wars in 2019, I think the safest choices at the moment are USN and VMF (Russian) DDs, IJN CAs and BBs, and German BBs. On that note, they've added a PvE/Cooperative mode for you to wiggle about with ships that you've unlocked if you're undecided on lines just to become acclimated with a general feel of a branch if you wanted a personal feel.

As for skills, not all lines are universal and it'd definitely be easier to narrow down the skills once you've decided on lines to grind. I mainly play destroyers, so I can't particularly help you with the other lines as much as a dedicated cruiser or battleship player presumably could. I'll put two ship types below as an example up to 15th skill:

VMF DDs:
1.) Basic Firing Training [1]
2.) Last Stand [3]
3.) Superintendent OR Vigilance [6] (I personally prefer superintendent)
4.) Advanced Firing Training OR Demolition Expert [10-14] (I took both in lieu of Concealment Expert)
5.) Concealment Expert IF you did not take both of the above. [15]

USN DDs:
1.) Basic Firing Training [1]
2.) Last Stand [3]
3.) Superintendent OR Vigilance [6]
4.) Demolition Expert [10]
5.) Concealment Expert [15]

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The cookie cutter cruiser build:
1. Basics of Survivability. Not arguable, just get it.
2. Expert Marksman. There are some lower tier cruisers where you don't really need it but neither Last Stand nor Torpedo Armament Expertise are all that useful.
3. Superintendent is non-negotiable on higher tier cruisers that get any of the holy trinity of consumables: radar, heal or smoke. On lower tiers Vigilance is better since you really don't use hydro or defensive AA that much, but only pick that if you're sure you don't want to re-use the captain for a higher tier cruiser.
4. Here it starts diverging a bit. Most cruisers probably want Demolition Expert, but there are exceptions - all Royal Navy cruisers except the Belfast, most of the Germans that get lovely HE but really good AP, etc. The alternatives are either Advanced Firing Training (AFT) or Manual AA, and which one is better depends on whether the majority of your AA DPS is in high caliber guns or not. On most ships it's not so AFT is the safer bet.
5. Concealment Expert. Yes it's a boring choice but concealment is so incredibly important that everything else just isn't relevant.

After this you have three points left when you eventually get to 18 points after hundreds of games, so you probably should take Vigilance. The alternative I think is Expert Loader plus Last Stand or something but eh, I don't like it.

Battleships are the exact same except you replace Demolition Expert with AFT (or possibly manual AA on some ships but I don't remember which ones). If you intend to use the captain on German BB's on T8 or above pick Manual Fire Control for Secondaries for your 5 point skill, otherwise Concealment Expert is a safer bet on almost everything.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 24, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is there a standalone high-resolution crosshair mod anywhere? I'm playing on downsampled 4K resolution and I could use one along with a battle interface UI scaled for 4K in general, though I'd rather not get Aslain's modpack for it because of :tinfoil: weird uninstallation issues.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

I would imagine so. My last 7 games in a row as a Gneis have been one shitter team right after the other. Either one side completely collapses, or they take some damage and then refuse to push any farther while the enemy team surrounds and eats them. New Mexicos and Konigs sniping with HE. It's making me ragey.

e: make that 8. This is what I get for starting off my evening with 3 straight 100k+ damage games in it. Should have logged off there.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 24, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My favourites are the teams who say "Take AB", then after taking A they all stop, selling out the handful who kept going to B, before getting picked off piecemeal as they mill about in a small bunch

Mordachi
Aug 9, 2006
Goon swarm stole my virginity
I'm relatively new to WoWS and my highest tier is 5 in IJN trees, i just opened a super container with 50k free exp which pretty much allows me to skip an entire ship research line in its entirety, what ship line should I focus on or the best?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mordachi posted:

I'm relatively new to WoWS and my highest tier is 5 in IJN trees, i just opened a super container with 50k free exp which pretty much allows me to skip an entire ship research line in its entirety, what ship line should I focus on or the best?

Bank that free experience to unlock modules on new ships. Some ships (looking at you there Fuso) are extraordinarily painful in their stock configurations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mordachi posted:

Well 50k won't skip an entire line, but it should let you skip most of tier 2-5 on one line - in which case I suggest Russian DDs, because the tier 4 and 5 are rear end and not remotely relevant as teaching tools, and the line starts getting good at tier 6, which makes it a perfect candidate for skipping.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

El Disco posted:

A fail division of a Gnevny and a tier VI will see at most Bensons (tier VIII), so that's quite a trick you pulled off.

Somehow I meant Mahan and wrote fletchers because i'm an idiot.

Apparently these are the black friday deals in the US:

United Task Force Bundle

Lo Yang
Blyskawica
Dunkerque
Anshan

Price: $72.99 USD

Imperial Japanese Navy Bundle

Atago
Fuujin
Kamikaze
Ishizuchi
Yuubari
Tachibana
Mikasa

Price: $83.99 USD

All of 'em

( Does not have every single premium as it seems to be missing a few)

Price: $397.96 USD

I Want It All

500x of ALL Flags (Not including Dragon Flags as per Q's word)
90 Days of Premium
12,000 Doubloons
15 Million Credits

Price: $98.99 USD

Edit: And now it's up there's a bunch more than just the above, with US, Russian and German bundles, discounts on all sorts of things:
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/worldofgravyboats/

I'd really like to get a Scharnhorst but not bothered by the rest of them so will wait for it to go back on sale.

PST fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 24, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PST posted:

United Task Force Bundle

Lo Yang
Blyskawica
Dunkerque
Anshan

Price: $72.99 USD

This is a good bundle of good ships

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?

Gwaihir posted:

Iowa is good, Montana is the worst of the T10 BBs though. Guns don't match Yamato or Kurfurst, and the improved AA doesn't make up the difference.

Are you kidding me? My Montana's guns absolutely WRECK yamatos and kurfursts. Yamatos aren't a threat to me anymore and as long as I keep the wurst at a distance they're not a threat either.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Missouri when

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seal Team Six is five minutes out

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

PST posted:

Somehow I meant Mahan and wrote fletchers because i'm an idiot.

Ok yeah that's pretty rough. You can do ok at a distance but if they get you at close range you're probably dead if you can't smoke and disengage.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

If this is true then I may become just the biggest whale. God drat it.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

If this is true then I may become just the biggest whale. God drat it.

Then it's your lucky day!

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/worldofgravyboats/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

hah, all those premiums, yet the gremy and nikolai are not in them :getin:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PST posted:

( Does not have every single premium as it seems to be missing a few)

I THINK the huge deal is only missing five premium ships that have appeared on the main server: Imperator Nikolai, Gremyashchy, Kitakami, Iwaki Alpha, and Arkansas Beta. So the two ships they've said they're never selling again, the one ship that has been flat out removed from the game for the foreseeable future, and early tester exclusives.

I could be forgetting something though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

My favourites are the teams who say "Take AB", then after taking A they all stop, selling out the handful who kept going to B, before getting picked off piecemeal as they mill about in a small bunch

This happened to me the other day. I was in an Edinburgh and my entire team stopped in B. When I said something in chat a Tirpitz said, "you're in the cruiser, that's your job."

We of course lost, and then, because it was like 7:00 am we ended up in the next two matches together where he kept trying to mock me for suggesting a German battleship help push a cap.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Here is some interesting fun.. Eurobeat doing just under 212k damage.. in an atlanta. No torps used either. What is also interesting is this isn't an atsf video, but an aerroon video. Note that this is a full replay with commentary. Not the normal atsf clip highlights we usually see from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ZU7kHwJIE

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh, hey, there's a completely new, never before seen premium in that Armada Bundle.

Wargaming posted:

• Tier III cruiser Katori + Slot

So if you have a pressing desire to own a ship specifically designed as a training cruiser, whose only claims to fame were getting sunk by Iowa and being the original IJN T1 ship way back in the beta, here's your chance! It's only going to cost you $400. :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm more interested in the 50% off premium time. Hell yeah.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Im more interested in getting more dragon flags.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So. I should re buy the fubuki hatsu and Kagero ahead of the patch

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jownzy posted:

So. I should re buy the fubuki hatsu and Kagero ahead of the patch

You won't get any free ships out of it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus Christ this game is expensive to buy poo poo for. Do people actually fork out hundreds of dollars on pixel spaceships because I would think that anyone willing to do that would already be bankrupted by star citizen.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

(not) Shockingly, there are many fiscally responsible people who can do so. The people who do bankrupt and ruin themselves on pixel whatevers often have much deeper problems than just financial irresponsibility.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but like, the cost of a new game for a boat.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/main/

I could buy an entire game, or I could buy a pixel boat.

I just can't get my head around it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I think I played the Scharnhorst more than ninety percent of the games I own. Atago 99.9%.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

NTRabbit posted:

Which developer did you talk to?

"As usual, we'll compensate for this change and you won't need to upgrade your favorite ships again."

If I have a Kagero, I should get a Yugumo.
If I have a Hatsuharu, I should get the Akatsuki.
If I have a Fubuki, I should get the new Kagero.

I'm assuming I should also get to keep the present forms of the ships I have, so I should walk away with the Fubuki and Hatsu as well.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 24, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

You will.
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/67220-15-patch-and-another-ijn-dds-thread/page__pid__1449730#entry1449730

If you dont want to click:
Having a ship that is being moved grants you that ship at its new slot, as well as the ship that is being moved into that ship's original tier (so, you have T8 Fubuki, after patch you will have the moved T6 Fubuki and a T8 Kagero, etc). Obviously no dupes if you have a Mutsuki too (Get T6 Fubuki, along with T5 Mutsuki in gunboat tree).

Also to note: If you have PERMANENT CAMO, that is the permanent doubloon purchased camos, you get it on the original ship you bought it for, and the ship that replaces it in its tier slot. So you have permaflage on the Fubuki, now you will have permaflage for T6 Fubuki and T8 Kagero, or say, T7 Hatsuharu splits into T7 Akatsuki permaflage and T6 gunboat line Hatsuharu permaflage. So if you wanted permaflage on your IJN DDs, THIS is the time to get it.

Also from what I hear Isokaze and Minekaze are getting utterly wrecked with nerfs so prepare your buttholes. At least the Fujin/Kamikaze R will be untouched.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but like, the cost of a new game for a boat.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/main/

I could buy an entire game, or I could buy a pixel boat.

I just can't get my head around it.

The people who really get into these games often play them for a ton of time, in which case it's often a similar amount of playtime for both.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The premium looks to the be the best deal, unless someone really needed ships. I was hoping for a sale on individual ships though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

You will.
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/67220-15-patch-and-another-ijn-dds-thread/page__pid__1449730#entry1449730

If you dont want to click:
Having a ship that is being moved grants you that ship at its new slot, as well as the ship that is being moved into that ship's original tier (so, you have T8 Fubuki, after patch you will have the moved T6 Fubuki and a T8 Kagero, etc). Obviously no dupes if you have a Mutsuki too (Get T6 Fubuki, along with T5 Mutsuki in gunboat tree).

Also to note: If you have PERMANENT CAMO, that is the permanent doubloon purchased camos, you get it on the original ship you bought it for, and the ship that replaces it in its tier slot. So you have permaflage on the Fubuki, now you will have permaflage for T6 Fubuki and T8 Kagero, or say, T7 Hatsuharu splits into T7 Akatsuki permaflage and T6 gunboat line Hatsuharu permaflage. So if you wanted permaflage on your IJN DDs, THIS is the time to get it.

Also from what I hear Isokaze and Minekaze are getting utterly wrecked with nerfs so prepare your buttholes. At least the Fujin/Kamikaze R will be untouched.

I wasn't aware the wows Wargaming devs were living in 2010