Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Baloogan posted:

lol bush killed loads more tho lolol

Not personally though. Needs that personal touch tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/801588967942615042

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

what

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Obama overtime is dead

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

that seems kind of thin skinned???

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i see that tracey has taken on the hipster version of the bernie->trump scam that harlan hill did

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Zikan posted:

i see that tracey has taken on the hipster version of the bernie->trump scam that harlan hill did

Tracey is king Bernie bro/secret Trump supporter.

I bet he was really upset when Trump said he wasn't going to 'lock her up'.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

lol I don't blame the base, I blame the candidate who failed to turn out the base. Who gave the base away. Who didn't solidify the base and tried to run up the score and ended up looking like an idiot with the band already on the field when it was returned for a touchdown.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

kerry doesn't want to kill more people. webb would like to tell you about the person he killed last night

Well depending on who that was, it's another reason to vote Webb, imo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

Obama overtime is dead

it was suspended, but it may as well be dead. Obama self-owned.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

Tracey is king Bernie bro/secret Trump supporter.

I bet he was really upset when Trump said he wasn't going to 'lock her up'.

It's not so much that Tracey supported Bernie, as that he really hated Hillary.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

idgi, why does he want people to start calling other people friend of the family?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/801592201834856448

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/everybody-hates-cornel-west/
https://libcom.org/files/ReedWhatAreTheDrumsSayingBooker.pdf

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Agrajag posted:

idgi, why does he want people to start calling other people friend of the family?

It's because when you are obsessed with race you become a racist, and then assume everyone else is one too.

Similar to how people were gleefully describing their fantasy moment where Trump would finally call Clinton a oval office. Which in a surprise to very few, never actually happened.

Tl;dr don't stare into the abyss.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:yikes: what a racist.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

:yikes: what a racist.
as an experiment i logged off and saw how soon it took to look at a democrat shooting themselves in the foot

just 12 seconds scrolling down on twitter and we already have people dogpiling people who express that economics concerns are just as important as identity politics as "racists" while they continue to prop up right-wing economic policies in their party because hamilton tickets aren't cheap

and democrats keep wondering why they lose elections

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Nonsense posted:

it was suspended, but it may as well be dead. Obama self-owned.

That's kinda been one of the sad things of Obama's presidency. Whenever we've taken a few modest faltering steps via bureaucracy and executive, hailed as triumphs, and it's all gonna be erased.

Obama's "Look forward" when he started out was the death knell of any progress. Should've been a dozen or more investigations of all the myriad failings, corruptions, and abuses of power, but no. Oh well. Can we relitigate Obama's failings now too? There's so many reasons the dems are in an absolute shambles right now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the absolute #1 reason behind the shambolic state of the Democratic Party is the 2010-ish shift in the DNC's priorities from being competitive in every race to helping incumbents keep their seats

everything else is secondary to that. even with a Hillary loss there's no reason we should be in such bad shape nationally but for the DNC's incompetence

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

as an experiment i logged off and saw how soon it took to look at a democrat shooting themselves in the foot

just 12 seconds scrolling down on twitter and we already have people dogpiling people who express that economics concerns are just as important as identity politics as "racists" while they continue to prop up right-wing economic policies in their party because hamilton tickets aren't cheap

and democrats keep wondering why they lose elections

I was in college during George W Bush's first term so I guess my concept of the left was frozen in that time.

Then during the general election I was shocked when people were cheerlead globalization, neoliberalism, and 'Red Scares'.

I remember during the early 2000s ID politics were important, but the focus was on economic justice.

I'm not sure what happened on the left in the past 14 years but here we are.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the absolute #1 reason behind the shambolic state of the Democratic Party is the 2010-ish shift in the DNC's priorities from being competitive in every race to helping incumbents keep their seats

everything else is secondary to that. even with a Hillary loss there's no reason we should be in such bad shape nationally but for the DNC's incompetence

There is evidence of this with Schumer pulling away a decent amount of change in a critical period from the DNC to run ads in NY talking about how great he is. (Expected to be Majority Leader)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What's the opposite of a spirit animal? Anti-spirit gremlin? That's what Matt Yglesias is, for me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

And the reason for that shift? To get Hillary elected.

Who was the DNC chair in 2010? Maybe just some bureaucrat? Oh it was the 2016 VP pick of Clinton? Huh, must just be a happy coincidence I guess.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Montasque posted:

I was in college during George W Bush's first term so I guess my concept of the left was frozen in that time.

Then during the general election I was shocked when people were cheerlead globalization, neoliberalism, and 'Red Scares'.

I remember during the early 2000s ID politics were important, but the focus was on economic justice.

citizens united happened and democrats started getting dependent on the teat of the ouroboros circlejerk of corporate welfare like their gop compatriots

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grondoth posted:

Billy Bob Ray Cletus Sue is a communist, so yes

as a weird~~~Appalachian i would like to take a moment out of my salt-sowing say that memes like this (and more especially this 'un) tickle my innards much like a stoneware jug of white lightnin' capped off with a plug made from a corncob would on a cold autumn's night.

:bernin:

bump_fn posted:

I don't want a witch hunt I want a dem party that wins elections

and while i agree with this prima facie, i will say this: if the party incumbency wants to dig in its heels and try the same path that led to this ruination (as i'm slowly wanting to suspect, but i'm willing to hear out arguments), then it's gonna be time for guillotines.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

poo poo-talking HRC is only useful insofar as it destroys the credibility of these people and aids in marginalizing and sidelining them, which needs to happen.

or what this goon expressed far more eloquently than i could right now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

It blew my mind when leftists pointed to bankers threatening to leave as evidence that Brexit was a bad thing

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

It blew my mind when leftists pointed to bankers threatening to leave as evidence that Brexit was a bad thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qYQXRk5glA

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

And the reason for that shift? To get Hillary elected.

Who was the DNC chair in 2010? Maybe just some bureaucrat? Oh it was the 2016 VP pick of Clinton? Huh, must just be a happy coincidence I guess.

The attempt to make Tim Kaine cool with the cocked-eyebrow logo branding made me cringe. Really, the entire Clinton campaign just felt... prepackaged. Like a Big Mac or a Snickers Bar or something. A bunch of men in suits with thick data reports build a factory. A tube excretes some flesh-colored paste onto a conveyor belt. The belt carries the paste into an oven for precisely 15 minutes. A robot claw reaches into the oven, grabs the paste, and wraps it in a piece of plastic with a flashy label on it. Bam, there's our candidate.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Aurubin posted:

So back on the topic of organizing and salvaging rather than knifing one another over what was, how do you bridge the gap between the professional class and the working class when the former genuinely wants to make inroads. How do you do that without sounding wooden?

Get the professional class to realize they are also working class, benefit from many of the same things, and have many of the same interests just in a different environment. At least for younger professionals, focus on the difficulty even the professional class now has accumulating and keeping wealth - no matter how high their income gets, they're still drowning in debt to the extent their net worth is hardly more than that of rural blue collar workers. Draw contrasts between that and the robber barons doing everything they can to raise property prices and rents and make real progress in the professional class more difficult for their own benefit.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bernie isn't even a member of the democratic party. He zipped out right after he lost the primary.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Corek posted:

Bernie isn't even a member of the democratic party. He zipped out right after he lost the primary.

All the more reason he should lead the new democratic party.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is Jim Webb the most Jim Webb candidate?

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

hobotrashcanfires posted:

That's kinda been one of the sad things of Obama's presidency. Whenever we've taken a few modest faltering steps via bureaucracy and executive, hailed as triumphs, and it's all gonna be erased.

Obama's "Look forward" when he started out was the death knell of any progress. Should've been a dozen or more investigations of all the myriad failings, corruptions, and abuses of power, but no. Oh well. Can we relitigate Obama's failings now too? There's so many reasons the dems are in an absolute shambles right now.

I remember in 2008/09 conservatives (like, real people -- not articles, pundits, etc.) complaining about the fanaticism surrounding Obama by the left/Democrats as treating him as some messianic figure. Well, as we can see, one cannot simply claim to "believe in him" and win elections.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
It ain't gonna happen, but hypothetically what in the gently caress would occur if they find the election was tampered with and Clinton actually won? Like no time to set up a cabinet or staff. It's too crazy to ever happen but, wow what a cherry on top that'd be.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Captain Internet posted:

It ain't gonna happen, but hypothetically what in the gently caress would occur if they find the election was tampered with and Clinton actually won? Like no time to set up a cabinet or staff. It's too crazy to ever happen but, wow what a cherry on top that'd be.

If you are going to huff fantasy fumes go whole hog: enough people wrote in Bernie and communism is starting tomorrow.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Internet posted:

Uncharted territory is fun.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Captain Internet posted:

cool poo poo

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haha too late for Yglesias to try to redeem himself.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Haha too late for Yglesias to try to redeem himself.

the joke is that all that stuff was on the 2016 democratic platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Captain Internet posted:

Clinton's had a cabinet and staff picked out since 2000. Some adjustments have been made since then, sure, but there's always been a list

• Locked thread