Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

I did the research and found that Nanu is The Best Character

you're not wrong

this game has a lot of best characters, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hiker David is my new buddy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I have to say, going in, I did not expect the frail shy girl to wind up one of my favourite characters. This game totally nailed its characters.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Lillie is the best new character, but Gladion and Professor Kukui are very close. Kukui is easily the most interesting and fun professor in the franchise. Every other professor is ultra bland and forgettable in comparison.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Just caught Solgaleo.
I feel kinda bad about stuffing it in the box, but my hands are tied here. I never use legendaries, and I already have a team full of 6. It's got a neutral nature which is... not great, but not bad either, though, so I might pull it out for some postgame stuff.
Also, I was originally gonna give it a nickname based on FMA (probably Alphonse) due to the references to Alchemy in it's design, buuuutt at the last moment I caved and named it Nebby.

Funky Valentine posted:

Hiker David is my new buddy.
:agreed:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lillie is the best new character, but Gladion and Professor Kukui are very close. Kukui is easily the most interesting and fun professor in the franchise. Every other professor is ultra bland and forgettable in comparison.
I'm sorry, are you sassing my boy Professor Rowan

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The stronger story focus has definitely helped make the cast more memorable. I mean, seven games in, there's no way I'd remember the gym leaders if they still had as little characterization as they did in Red and Blue (as demonstrated by such non-entities as the grass gym leader from X/Y).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

The stronger story focus has definitely helped make the cast more memorable. I mean, seven games in, there's no way I'd remember the gym leaders if they still had as little characterization as they did in Red and Blue (as demonstrated by such non-entities as the grass gym leader from X/Y).
The only reason I remember him is because he had a gogoat, and gogoats are great.
No idea who any of the other gym leaders were, though. I remember there was a fairy lady, and a psychic lady... and that's it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm glad the npcs finally figured out the single most important thing in pokemon: coordinating your pokeballs with your pokemon

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blaziken386 posted:

Just caught Solgaleo.
I feel kinda bad about stuffing it in the box, but my hands are tied here. I never use legendaries, and I already have a team full of 6. It's got a neutral nature which is... not great, but not bad either, though, so I might pull it out for some postgame stuff.
I wish there was an option to tell Lillie to keep her moonbat/sunlion. Who cares if you're not a trainer, you can become one with a dimension-warping thing as your starter. And then it'll see more of the world than the PC box I'm leaving it in!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

based on some postgame stuff
she went mad with grief when Mohn left her (or was sucked up into a wormhole, the game doesn't seem to be super clear which one it is), then presumably continues his research in the hopes of getting him back, and then probably gets her crazy brain hypercharged by a nihilego

based on what lillie says she wasn't always a terrible mother, so after Mohn left/vanished it seems pretty likely that in her madness she was ready to denounce anyone else who was willing to abandon her, even if they were her own children

Wait, what? I remember it saying her husband vanished but I don't remember it saying it was Mohn.... Where did I miss that part?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Wait, what? I remember it saying her husband vanished but I don't remember it saying it was Mohn.... Where did I miss that part?

She didn't I don't think, but NPCs in Aether and the dimensional research lab both mention it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I wish there was an option to tell Lillie to keep her moonbat/sunlion. Who cares if you're not a trainer, you can become one with a dimension-warping thing as your starter. And then it'll see more of the world than the PC box I'm leaving it in!

I agree. I wanted her to keep her Nebby and become a strong trainer with him! Solgaleo is an excellent starter Pokemon, Lillie!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

To be more specific, in the secret labs the books/computers mention him. Also you can figure it out organically--most people did as soon as poke pelago was previewed before release--because he also has a German flower name, blond hair and green eyes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Trying to battle tree or battle royal without EV training is impossible, and EV training is hell without BP-bought items

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Is there like a basic-rear end beginners' guide to stuff like postgame content and competitive battling and stuff somewhere? It's something I've always been way too intimidated to dip my toes into but I don't know why, I kind of want to try it this gen.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Trying to battle tree or battle royal without EV training is impossible, and EV training is hell without BP-bought items
That's another reason I can't wait for Bank to get updated. I never needed to use many Battle Points, and I keep my livingdex + several boxes of reject breeding project pokemon in the bank, so I've got around 750 BP just sitting there. And another 800 or so on Alpha Sapphire.
And I never fight in the Battle Chateau.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

tyblazitar posted:

Are you chaining SOS battles? That way you get way more Jangmo-os and Hakamo-os without having to hit the 5% again and sometimes they spawn a Kommo-o, which has 50% chance to hold one (or 60% depending on if Compound Eyes works for helping pokemon or not, I'm not sure). Note that the Kommo-o doesn't call for help though, so if it doesn't have a claw, kill it and keep chaining with the others.

I tried it a few times, didn't have any luck and they never spawned a Kommo-o. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Still need a Castform too, maybe I'll try tossing a Goomy up on GTS and see if someone has an extra.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I beat the game. Pretty good, though I have to say the plot felt weird.

Mainly because Lusamine's obsession with getting rare pokemon, display of them in a private collection, and disdain for any pokemon she doesn't like is way too close to how I play the game :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

someone awful. posted:

you're not wrong

this game has a lot of best characters, though.

Maybe every character in the game is the best character?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyone who likes Hau is wrong.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Except Faba.

He's not terrible or anything but we need someone to pick on. :v:

Internet Kraken posted:

You're wrong. :colbert:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

hau is a videogame kid who actually acts like a kid, for once. he's fantastic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

He's good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Mainly because Lusamine's obsession with getting rare pokemon, display of them in a private collection, and disdain for any pokemon she doesn't like is way too close to how I play the game :v:

I kinda liked that part :getin:

She even has a team of cuties, just like me!

cheetah7071 posted:

Really? :ohdear: I was looking forward to trying out post-game PvE stuff for the first time but if it's that tryhard then I'm not so sure anymore.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Internet Kraken posted:

Reported

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Internet Kraken posted:

IK with the coldest of pokemon takes as per usual.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah Hau already grew on me, and makes me really want to try malasadas even though they're probably just greasy donuts

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Really? :ohdear: I was looking forward to trying out post-game PvE stuff for the first time but if it's that tryhard then I'm not so sure anymore.

Well, grinding for BP against the AI isn't that bad. At least in X/Y even with a story team you could probably win some Maison battles. You probably wouldn't get far but with persistence it you could get enough BP for the grinding items.

someone awful. posted:

hau is a videogame kid who actually acts like a kid, for once. he's fantastic.

He does nothing but state the obvious and doesn't contribute anything to the plot. He's like the "rivals" from X/Y, though better by virtue of there not being 4 of them this time.

I like most other characters though. Even Gladion, who I thought would be obnoxious. The game goes over the top with his little edgelord status and makes fun of it though so he's great.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

That scene where you confront Lusamine for the first time took me by surprise, because I thought the collection of frozen Pokemon was legitimately creepy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The game goes over the top with his little edgelord status and makes fun of it though so he's great.

:yeah:

I think he and Hau complement each other too, since the game (and the characters) make fun of both of them for being anime stereotypes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

It's not such a disaster. You can use Isle Evelup to train your first three pokemon, then use them to grind the battle tree

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Fetus posted:

That scene where you confront Lusamine for the first time took me by surprise, because I thought the collection of frozen Pokemon was legitimately creepy.

I mean when you think about it is it really any different than shoving pokemon in the PC box for eternity? I have 700+ pokemon in the equivalent of limbo just so I don't have to fill out my dex again.

At least once they come to S/M they'll have Pelago.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Endgame spoilers:

Actually, the final battle with Lusamine reminded me a bit of the climax of The LEGO Movie, where it turns out the moral of the story is that LEGOs are children's toys and while it's okay to play with them as an adult, you shouldn't take it so seriously. It's Game Freak not-so-subtly owning players that discard any Pokemon that isn't "perfect" and take the whole competitive thing way too seriously.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

EclecticTastes posted:

Endgame spoilers:

Actually, the final battle with Lusamine reminded me a bit of the climax of The LEGO Movie, where it turns out the moral of the story is that LEGOs are children's toys and while it's okay to play with them as an adult, you shouldn't take it so seriously. It's Game Freak not-so-subtly owning players that discard any Pokemon that isn't "perfect" and take the whole competitive thing way too seriously.
this was also my reading while playing through this portion of the game. as a 28 year old who grew up on red/blue, i took her point.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Yeah Hau already grew on me, and makes me really want to try malasadas even though they're probably just greasy donuts

I haven't googled malasadas yet but if they are greasy donuts I want to eat them more

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
On the subject of that last fight;

I really wanna know why they had Lusamine turn into a weird jelly monster if all she was gonna do was chuck pokeballs. Unless her killing the framerate was supposed to be part of the challenge.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I haven't googled malasadas yet but if they are greasy donuts I want to eat them more

I don't know if they're actually greasy (they're supposed to be very buttery though based on the wikipedia page) but their name literally means "badly cooked" so I bet at least they're chewy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Your Computer posted:

:yeah:

I think he and Hau complement each other too, since the game (and the characters) make fun of both of them for being anime stereotypes.

In a way Hau feels like he's more of a rival to Gladion than the player is. They have some pretty funny interactions together too.

Though in general with the game having a pretty big cast of fun characters they all bounce off each other better than they do the protagonist. Since they're an un-emotive mute with the same creepy smile in every scene they're in.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

they are fried balls of yeasty dough covered in sugar, so yeah very similar to donuts. some have fillings but i don't think they do traditionally.

they are also real good

e: i think they have eggs in the batter? and donuts don't have eggs usually, so that's one difference

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
If anyone is looking for free Focus Bands, you can farm them from the machoke at the Vast Poni Canyon (outside grass patches). I just got one when I was trying to catch a Lycanrok over there with my Toucannon. All you need is a flying/psychic type strong enough to OHKO the machoke and if they survive the game tells you if they used a focus band. Even if they "use" the focus band you'll still get it if you capture them, so it's a pretty fast farm method.

Also, if you want a focus sash you get that from the dancer at Poni island from defeating all the other trainers in the first area.