Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

To elaborate: The ability to move your trade capital, or Main Trade City , independently was introduced in Wealth of Nations. Without Wealth of Nations you will have to move your actual capital. In either case it will be one of these buttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so im thinking of later converting this ck2 game im playing right now, and i've got a question about ai hordes: how well would an ai mongol empire do if it has p. much the entirety of eastern europe? would it be able to eventually reform itself given what it has, or is the ai kind of lacking in that regard?

im p. sure it'd be beastly early on, but i guess i'm wondering if i should expect a power vacuum in the region in the mid-late game

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
67% off DLC at WinGameStore right now. Is it likely to be any cheaper during Steam sale or should I hop on the ones I want now?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Chin Strap posted:

67% off DLC at WinGameStore right now. Is it likely to be any cheaper during Steam sale or should I hop on the ones I want now?

I haven't seen a Paradox DLC go on more than 66% sale for ages so they probably stopped doing 75% ones on Steam.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I hope Rights of Man goes on some sort of sale over Thanksgiving, I am being cheap and waiting, but really want it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wafflecopper posted:

I wish the AI would stop spamming me with pointless 30 ducat loan offers when I'm at war with someone they don't like. I'm not even losing money and most of them are the same or higher interest rates than just using the bank. gently caress off.

Also if it would stop sending me loan offers for more interest than I can get from my own loans (whilst I have zero loans no less), that'd be pretty nice.

Soup du Journey posted:

so im thinking of later converting this ck2 game im playing right now, and i've got a question about ai hordes: how well would an ai mongol empire do if it has p. much the entirety of eastern europe? would it be able to eventually reform itself given what it has, or is the ai kind of lacking in that regard?

im p. sure it'd be beastly early on, but i guess i'm wondering if i should expect a power vacuum in the region in the mid-late game

It can do OK, but a slow and prolonged collapse cycle is not out of the question. The problem with AI Hordes is that they're super brittle; left alone they do a good job at reforming, but once they're beaten once they usually get overrun by rebels and crises, and their neighbours will knock chunks off them until they no longer exist.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You know you can take loans from the AI and just not pay them back right? Yeah so what they get pissed off and get a CB but it's free money!

My least favourite thing about a Byzantium start is that inevitably the amount of territory you take from the OE in the first war is too little to really cripple them, so they end up taking all their Anatolian cores during the 15 years truce and round 2 is always more difficult :(

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 23, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everything except rights of man on sale. But the DLC seems to have almost no features unless you're Fetishist or Coptic. Building stuff in subject states looks cool, but not $20 cool.
I feel like an idiot because I just bought Cossacks for full price a couple days ago just for the better culture conversion and to try out estates (which are a boring useless feature you can ignore).
Got mare nostrum for $6 though! I'd buy rights of man for $6 as well.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Everything except rights of man on sale. But the DLC seems to have almost no features unless you're Fetishist or Coptic. Building stuff in subject states looks cool, but not $20 cool.
I feel like an idiot because I just bought Cossacks for full price a couple days ago just for the better culture conversion and to try out estates (which are a boring useless feature you can ignore).
Got mare nostrum for $6 though! I'd buy rights of man for $6 as well.

Ruler/leader traits, queen consorts, and disinheriting are not exactly nothing...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
great powers too. i think it's the most worthwhile expansion since art of war.

and estates are good and very useful. boring is up to personal taste i guess

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I guess it's finally time to pickup Mare Nostrum? I don't even know what that dumb expansion changes

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Ignoring estates is a huge mistake. They add immense value to your country. They can be frustrating to deal with but not boring, in my opinion.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

LemonyTang posted:

Ignoring estates is a huge mistake. They add immense value to your country. They can be frustrating to deal with but not boring, in my opinion.

it's not complicated either; but combining things like burghers and lots of trade buildings can make a huge difference in certain nodes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Ruler/leader traits, queen consorts, and disinheriting are not exactly nothing...

I'd buy Rights of Man for queen consorts alone; not having to deal with regencies anymore (unless the queen dies too, I guess) is extremely good. And ruler traits and general traits are really great!

The Great Power mechanics in Rights of Man are also really good. Even if you're not a GP, I feel like it probably reduces the chance of any one AI country snowballing since other GPs can simply intervene.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And yeah estates give you crazy good benefits if you're willing to engage with the system; perpetual +20% manpower recovery, trade efficiency, and taxes nationwide is a big perk and it takes very little effort to keep your estates in that sweet spot. And the -10% development cost that you get from having Burghers/Merchants at high loyalty is extremely useful with the new institutions system, if you need to seed institutions at all.

The occasional free monarch points and free money is really just icing on the cake

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Estates are great, you deal with the occasional rough patch and get piles of cash and free MP thrown on your lap. If you're Orthodox it's even better as it lets you take more good results from patriarch authority events meaning even more free money, stability, etc.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
half price, high level advisors with some of the most useful abilities, no autonomy on a part of a new province, reduced unrest, extra missionary strength, free heavies, money when you want it, extra settler growth right from the start... As eastern tech or islamic there's even more.

They're not the fleshed out peacetime mechanics we hoped they'd be when they were first announced, but they're very powerful and work pretty well. I still like them for adding weight to events too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think I'm just a very non-competitive player and extremely lazy so the time it takes to go into the interface to get some tiny amount of points every 20 years or so ends up not being worth it, or the bonuses hard to notice. Eu4 is full of tiny bonuses you have to really work to earn but they're so so tiny, yet obviously add together and add up over the long term. But it makes it hard, for me anyways, to really stay motivated to chase after them all when I'm far more worried about border prettiness and there's so many other things to micro-manage to squeeze out another 2% here or +1 there.

I also found with estates that they're not safe to mess with too much. I tried bribing them and extracting from them every 20 years, but sometimes I'd have an event during those 20 years that would set them to very low loyalty, or dangerously high power. So out of fear I'd just leave them be because "I don't want to use my +10 loyalty option now in case I need it later due to some random events". I'm also usually playing some juggernaught like france and painting the world my colour so a few hundred gold here or 100 monarch points there every 20 years ends up feeling pretty tiny. Then again it's not like monarch points scale with empire size, they're always valuable. I'm just a poo poo player.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 23, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baron Corbyn posted:

Looks like Gaeldom. I've been seeing them break away from Scotland and colonising America a lot recently.

Yeah same. In my Ethiopia game they owned all of Brazil which gave them enough of a economic base to turn around and beat England into submission. It was kind of awesome that something like that could happen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jumping on the "Estates are good and useful" bandwagon. They can be annoying to micromanage though, and a lot of the events suffer for usually only having one good choice (give a province to the Burghers and receive development, or don't?).

RabidWeasel posted:

You know you can take loans from the AI and just not pay them back right? Yeah so what they get pissed off and get a CB but it's free money!

:aaaaa: no I did not

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
estates are not very exciting but they're better than they used to be. I do like how they interact with events.

the problem is that micromanaging province autonomy & estate influence rarely presents interesting or dynamic choices for the player. more power to people who like that sort of thing, i guess; for me, it's a distraction from the parts of the game that i find fun.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Jumping on the "Estates are good and useful" bandwagon. They can be annoying to micromanage though, and a lot of the events suffer for usually only having one good choice (give a province to the Burghers and receive development, or don't?).

:aaaaa: no I did not

the pro way to discover this to give loans to the AI yourself. I'm not sure if the AI will ever pay loans back, but I've certainly never seen it if so

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RabidWeasel posted:

PleasingFungus posted:

the pro way to discover this to give loans to the AI yourself. I'm not sure if the AI will ever pay loans back, but I've certainly never seen it if so

:lol: I thought that poo poo was why they removed the country-to-country loan system from release EUIV.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

:lol: I thought that poo poo was why they removed the country-to-country loan system from release EUIV.
Wasn't it because people used it as a way to get CB's on countries they didn't rub borders with?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm playing around for the first time really digging into modding. I want to add a commune government, trying to represent medieval communes (that had mostly died out, been conquered, or evolved into city states by eu4's period) that represent some form of very early pre-marx communism.

Because of the nature of the government, I was hoping to use the faction system rather than estate system. I looked at the government files to look at a government that uses factions, merchant republic, and it just seemed to list the 3 factions but doesn't have any sort of estates = no entry, so I assume if you specify factions the game turns off the estate system? I was hoping to have a few factions representing the pacifistic christian element, the more jacobin element, and the common people/workers.

The wiki has some bare bones modding info, but is there a better place/community to go for questions on this? An irc/discord channel? Anything like that for babby modders?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Factions = no estates. One of the biggest reasons I don't like playing Merchant Republics is because you lose estates.

Poil posted:

Wasn't it because people used it as a way to get CB's on countries they didn't rub borders with?

Yep.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If I buy Cossacks, will I be able to use the new features on my current iron man save?

I'm guessing no, but you never know.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Factions = no estates. One of the biggest reasons I don't like playing Merchant Republics is because you lose estates.

I'm really surprised they didn't just replace merchant/ming factions with estates. I suppose they would have to leave them on for people who didn't buy the DLC though. They really need a better way to integrate all of their DLC together.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Looking through the faction files it looks like they added factions for revolutionary republics, which is a paid DLC feature, except they're sitting there just with a tag like "requires_dlc: rights_of_man". seems easy enough to "mod in".
Also it seems a lot of the fun and flavour around factions are events that can fire, and I really don't have the skill right now to make a bunch of events, that's a serious undertaking. I guess I'll just leave the default estates on.

Also, to show how long it's been since I've looked at any EU modding I was just thinking "hey wait, isn't there is a really prolific and good eu modder in the SA thread? What's that guy's name again? Oh yeah, wiz..."

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 24, 2016

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

If I buy Cossacks, will I be able to use the new features on my current iron man save?

I'm guessing no, but you never know.

Itīs perfectly possible to add DLC to ongoing ironman games, but achievements will be disabled.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Silent Banana posted:

Itīs perfectly possible to add DLC to ongoing ironman games, but achievements will be disabled.

That works for me! thanks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Encountered a weird bug. I created a custom nation with a republic, and it won't let me play because it's saying the ruler trait I have, infertile, requires me to be a monarchy. Yet I can't see any sort of "ruler creator" or access to these traits.

It seems odd I'm even getting anything about personalities as I don't own the latest DLC that adds it. Disabling the little custom government mod I made doesn't seem to help, what triggered it seems to have been buying mare nostrum.

Apparently this is a known bug, the game randomly assigns some traits even if you don't own the DLC, it just makes it invisible. People told me to change your rulers age up and down as it re-rolls but nothing I do seems to fix it. Clearly this is a bug added in to force us to buy the DLC!!! Does the DLC at least let you pick personalities and let me fix this? Seriously about to drop $20 to bypass a bug.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 24, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
the paradox devs have created a combinatorial explosion of possible bugs caused by mixes of purchased and not-purchased dlc. they are living in a hell of their own creation

also, baronjutter, i don't want to rain on your parade, but were you aware that paradox is adding a Peasant Republic govtype in the next patch?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm playing around for the first time really digging into modding. I want to add a commune government, trying to represent medieval communes (that had mostly died out, been conquered, or evolved into city states by eu4's period) that represent some form of very early pre-marx communism.

Because of the nature of the government, I was hoping to use the faction system rather than estate system. I looked at the government files to look at a government that uses factions, merchant republic, and it just seemed to list the 3 factions but doesn't have any sort of estates = no entry, so I assume if you specify factions the game turns off the estate system? I was hoping to have a few factions representing the pacifistic christian element, the more jacobin element, and the common people/workers.

The wiki has some bare bones modding info, but is there a better place/community to go for questions on this? An irc/discord channel? Anything like that for babby modders?

From when I was doing some modding myself, the best resource I could find was actually the paradox forums. They're generally pretty helpful in that part of it. The wiki only served to confuse me.

The other way to do it was to look at what was actually in the game files. I often thought "there's an event for this country that does what I want" and I'd go find it and adapt from there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PleasingFungus posted:

the paradox devs have created a combinatorial explosion of possible bugs caused by mixes of purchased and not-purchased dlc. they are living in a hell of their own creation

also, baronjutter, i don't want to rain on your parade, but were you aware that paradox is adding a Peasant Republic govtype in the next patch?

Sounds awesome, I found a tweet with a screen shot but any idea on it having custom factions or estates?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

At the moment it's literally just another republic type with different modifiers (and hilariously keeps getting made into an HRE free city). Dithmarschen doesn't even have its own NIs which is a shame.

Also my recent Byzantium games have reminded me of the one true constant of EU4: gently caress Venice forever.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

RabidWeasel posted:

Dithmarschen doesn't even have its own NIs which is a shame.

I refuse to believe that this'll stay in.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'm sure that they will get their own before the beta ends (at which point I am going to try them out)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

I guess it's finally time to pickup Mare Nostrum? I don't even know what that dumb expansion changes

Yeah same. I think that's the one where you can sell your armies to other people or lease them out or whatever?

I also never bought Conquest of Paradise or the Incan one so I'll get those two.

I know this is horrible but are any of the new unit packs pretty enough for a dollar or whatever they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do I remember seeing that someone picked a certain faction in the War of the Roses that let them get rid of their lovely unique English government form?

• Locked thread