Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I recently commissioned a canvas painting and I have a question regarding etiquette. If he shows me the final piece and I think it needs more, touching up or it just doesn't impress me, is it ok to ask to change/add something? Or would that be a dick move since the artist felt it was complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

goodness posted:

I recently commissioned a canvas painting and I have a question regarding etiquette. If he shows me the final piece and I think it needs more, touching up or it just doesn't impress me, is it ok to ask to change/add something? Or would that be a dick move since the artist felt it was complete.

Often, artists will have a policy on the number of revisions they'll accept. Usually though, its fine to request changes within reason. If you do want changes, make your requests as specific and crystal clear as possible. Also be prompt in getting back to the artist and don't do something like wait weeks after the piece is done or whatever to say something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You could also ask if they do 'works in progress' snapshots to give you an indication of where they're going.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Is there any real difference between the Steam version of openCanvas 6, and the license key that you can buy from their own site? Steam has it on sale at the moment, 20% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/301610

The site is more expensive but not tied to Steam-are there any realistic or likely scenarios where having bought it through Steam is going to cause issues?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
What font is this? No success at Identifont or Whatthefont.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm looking to make a custom printed hoodie, and while there are plenty of sites offering the service, I have no idea which ones offer the highest quality fabric and printing. Can anyone point me in the direction of luxurious hoodies and durable printing?

Having worked in the t-shirt printing industry for a few years, our go-to wholesale brands for soft and warm clothes were Canvas and Next Level. Ask for those and you should be pretty happy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

For the writers here: How much of your characters do you have (fully) developed in your mind before you write a story? Also, how do you write from an experience other than your own (e.g. Female if you are male, or other ethnicity) so that characters you create don't appear to be stereotypes?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Alright. I guess I upgraded Illustrator Cloud whatever recently. Everything looks different. I can live with the solid and hollow arrows looking different. I can change. I can.

But how the hell do I turn the bounding box off? It keeps coming on overtime I select something. 've been up to VIEW > HIDE BOUNDING BOX constantly. NOTHING!

It's frustrating and I hate it. I know some people like the darn thing. Not me. Help!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Can anyone ID either of these typefaces? Identifont doesn't know.

edit: "MOTORS" is very close to 3D Fantablock Beveled. Still seeking "Murfreesboro, TN."

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 29, 2016

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm trying to draw myself as a simplified, stylized, cartoonish thingie. My drawings are either overly realistic or an unrecognizable, generic comic style.

Does anyone have process tips to make a stylized version of myself?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm trying to draw myself as a simplified, stylized, cartoonish thingie. My drawings are either overly realistic or an unrecognizable, generic comic style.

Squint

Squinting blocks out the details, leaving the basest of parts. Let's you strip things down to their barest form (this combats your overly realistic bit).

Exaggerate

After blocking out the unnecessary, now pump up the leftover. So, do you have, maybe, sort of big ears? Make 'em huge. Kinda messy hair? gently caress that up! Big chin/facial hair/etc? And so on.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I messed around a bit and came up with this:

This is just a quick sketch, bad line work and even quicker Photoshop paint job. I can do better with more effort, but what do you think?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Can anyone ID either of these typefaces? Identifont doesn't know.

edit: "MOTORS" is very close to 3D Fantablock Beveled. Still seeking "Murfreesboro, TN."

Looks like Lobster to me: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/lobster

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

KittenofDoom posted:

I messed around a bit and came up with this:

This is just a quick sketch, bad line work and even quicker Photoshop paint job. I can do better with more effort, but what do you think?

It's a good caricature. I don't know what you look like though so can't really say for certain how accurate it is. Like, I can't say "Oh that's definitely kitten of doom". But it's good. It's stylized. And it avoids the big-head-little-body trope used by carnival caricature artists (them guys...yeesh)

BurritoEclair
Jun 16, 2012
I'm trying to grab some cash for the holidays and help people get or improve some gifts. I work exclusively digital and want to offer some print options. Anyone know any good printers? I'm keen for canvas.
Also does anyone know a way to effectively find clients? I keep searching through a few different threads in SA and the odd website or two.

Much appreciated.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Holy cow you're awesome

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

KittenofDoom posted:

A caricature series just started on Proko this week, if that's your bag.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

99% of the time that curly fancy font is Lobster

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Argue posted:

A caricature series just started on Proko this week, if that's your bag.
To be honest I'm going more for a comic-friendly style. I'm not looking to make a webcomic, but C. Cassandra has the kind of range of style I'm going for:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Im looking for a pixel art character generator, to make some basic representations of some people.

This site looks close, by is there anything slightly more featured? http://www.avatarsinpixels.com

I'm looking to avoid doing each one by hand.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need buying advice. I've been tasked to buy a sub $100 graphics tablet for my nephew. Needs USB, Mac compatibility. I have a Wacom tablet, but it's a lot bigger than what I could get for that price. All the sub $100 Wacom tablets are small. Am I better off getting him a small tablet, or is there a bigger one that's from a cheaper brand that's worthwhile? I'm pretty sure he doesn't need a lot of features other than pressure sensitivity. He's mainly gonna doodle on it. Bonus points if I can get it Amazon Prime. Thanks in advance.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I need buying advice. I've been tasked to buy a sub $100 graphics tablet for my nephew. Needs USB, Mac compatibility. I have a Wacom tablet, but it's a lot bigger than what I could get for that price. All the sub $100 Wacom tablets are small. Am I better off getting him a small tablet, or is there a bigger one that's from a cheaper brand that's worthwhile? I'm pretty sure he doesn't need a lot of features other than pressure sensitivity. He's mainly gonna doodle on it. Bonus points if I can get it Amazon Prime. Thanks in advance.
I have one a Bamboo Tablet. Decent size (8.5" x 5.3" drawing surface) and I got mine for under $70.

It's not nearly top of the line, but it does a great job for the price.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I couldn't find a thread about writing non-fiction and I was wondering if there was anyone here involved in writing articles instead of stories to ask for advice. I've thought about trying to write about my own interests and so on before and I've noticed Medium seems to becoming more popular and if anyone had experience or thoughts about it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone familiar with Sony Vegas? I know my way around some basics but this is one that should be really easy and I can't figure out. I've got a video where I want to freeze frame for a moment and narrate what's going on in the shot, then resume video. What's the easiest way to do that? I'm using Vegas 13 but most stuff from nearby versions seems to translate just fine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't know for Vegas specifically (nobody really uses it anymore), but you might try inserting a screenshot as a frame and copying it over for the length of the VO.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I don't know for Vegas specifically (nobody really uses it anymore), but you might try inserting a screenshot as a frame and copying it over for the length of the VO.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm not doing top quality poo poo obviously so that'll cover my needs just fine. Thanks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I had a font I used a bunch in InDesign, Eurostile.

I packed a bunch of files for a client.

Now all InDesign seems to not include that font. Even though it's clearly synced at the Font typekit.com website which I access through InDesign.

How do I get this font back?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you have your creative cloud desktop app open when you open indesign?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Dave posted:

Do you have your creative cloud desktop app open when you open indesign?

Oh my... :doh:

Thank you Dave

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Copic Markers Question

For Christmas I'm planning to buy some more Copic markers for my best friend. She usually uses less expensive markers, but I know how much she loves Copic. Here's her small collection now:

What kind of colors/shades would you guys recommend to fill in her collection? She draws mostly people and comics, though she does branch out into more fantasy scenes occasionally. I'm thinking I'll get 8-10 more markers for her but I want to get ones that are actually useful.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Queen Gnome posted:

Copic Markers Question

It would help if we knew what kind of color schemes she likes to use in her art cause artists often end up favoring certain colors more than others in their work. That said, what might be a good way to approach this is to look at her work and see what colors are in her work that she does not have expensive markers for. If you need help you could ask any art friends that you have, or the people in the art store (if they happen to have knowledgeable staff which isn't always the case) or even show us some pieces and ask in the thread.

If we are just going by colors in the color wheel that aren't in the picture, you might look at getting her: a green, a yellow green, an orange, a yellow orange, and a red violet. Maybe also get a more saturated yellow too. But say if she happens to really love palettes based around blues, it might be better to just get her a lot of blues and purples of varying values instead. For instance you could get her a lighter teal, some dark blues, maybe a couple of different purples, etc. Cause its one thing to notice there isn't really any greens there except the one blue green, but if she doesn't have them because she doesn't use them then there is no point in getting her a bunch of greens.

If you are really unsure though, a gift card for the closest real art store (Dick Blick, Utrecht, Jerry's, etc) could also be an option so that she'd be able to choose the colors she needed herself. I know that's less fun but it would ensure that she gets exactly what she needs.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 12, 2016

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

JuniperCake posted:

It would help if we knew what kind of color schemes she likes to use in her art cause artists often end up favoring certain colors more than others in their work. That said, what might be a good way to approach this is to look at her work and see what colors are in her work that she does not have expensive markers for. If you need help you could ask any art friends that you have, or the people in the art store (if they happen to have knowledgeable staff which isn't always the case) or even show us some pieces and ask in the thread.

If we are just going by colors in the color wheel that aren't in the picture, you might look at getting her: a green, a yellow green, an orange, a yellow orange, and a red violet. Maybe also get a more saturated yellow too. But say if she happens to really love palettes based around blues, it might be better to just get her a lot of blues and purples of varying values instead. For instance you could get her a lighter teal, some dark blues, maybe a couple of different purples, etc. Cause its one thing to notice there isn't really any greens there except the one blue green, but if she doesn't have them because she doesn't use them then there is no point in getting her a bunch of greens.

If you are really unsure though, a gift card for the closest real art store (Dick Blick, Utrecht, Jerry's, etc) could also be an option so that she'd be able to choose the colors she needed herself. I know that's less fun but it would ensure that she gets exactly what she needs.

Thank you! She tends to use a lot of blues and purples, in addition to the usual skin colors and hair colors. I think going for some blues/greens/purples and a staple color or two that she's missing is a great idea. I just snuck around in her room a bit more to look at the other markers she's got. I found most of them:

Most of them are Copic, but the less-expensive kind, I think. Not sure if it'd be worth buying nicer versions of these markers or if they're sufficient... she really does love her nice Copic ones, though.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I know it's kind of a tricky question, especially without knowing the person and their art. She gives almost all of her art away as gifts, so I don't have any examples on hand, unfortunately. I wish gift cards were more popular here in Japan, that would be way easier :smith:

edit: okay I'm stupid. These are apparently more watercolorish pens. It seems like she uses these ones much more often, too. I might look to buy this type

Queen Gnome fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 12, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I want to start painting acrylic. What else do I need besides paint, brushes, something to paint on? Anything to help mixing the paint? What is good material to practice on that won't break the bank.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You'll definitely want a palette a couple of palette knives. A good easel wouldn't go astray either.

You'll probably want to practice on stretched canvas, but buying pre-stretched can add up pretty quickly. Stretching your own will save you quite a bit of money and it's a fairly pleasant activity once you've done one or two. I had a buddy in college who trawled apartment building dumpsters for disassembled Ikea furniture – he used the pieces of unfinished particle board instead of canvas. It made for some cool pieces and some fun stories, but for the time it took he may as well have bought unstretched canvas.

Really, you can paint on anything that won't turn into a soggy mess and that the paint can adhere to.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah. Back in art school I'd stretch old shirts or athletic socks or whatever over frames to paint on.

But she of that poo poo you gotta gesso first. If gesso is to pricey (and you should really gesso every starting surface) you can get by by just covering the whole surface first in pure white acrylic.

So buy a larger bottle of white. Actually, buy a quart or whatever of paint/primer from home depot and save some dough.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Ferrule posted:

Yeah. Back in art school I'd stretch old shirts or athletic socks or whatever over frames to paint on.

But she of that poo poo you gotta gesso first. If gesso is to pricey (and you should really gesso every starting surface) you can get by by just covering the whole surface first in pure white acrylic.

So buy a larger bottle of white. Actually, buy a quart or whatever of paint/primer from home depot and save some dough.

It looks like a bucket of gesso is $5-10, not too bad. I have a couple small canvases I picked up from Michaels for 1/2 off.

I'm starting to paint because I recently learned I was colorblind. It never affected me and I only knew after looking at one of those colored dot number tests. I want to use this to learn what I see differently and how it looks to other people.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

goodness posted:

It looks like a bucket of gesso is $5-10, not too bad. I have a couple small canvases I picked up from Michaels for 1/2 off.

I'm starting to paint because I recently learned I was colorblind. It never affected me and I only knew after looking at one of those colored dot number tests. I want to use this to learn what I see differently and how it looks to other people.

Also take a look at canvas panels. That tends to be cheaper than a normal canvas and are often in variety packs so if you buy a set with one of the 30-40% coupons they have (or during a good sale) you can get quite a lot of them pretty cheaply.

Another budget option would be to get some bristol board which holds up just fine with acrylics. You can buy the strathmore brand (any brand should do) for less than a dollar a sheet. Then you just need to buy a corrugated plastic board (art stores usually sell these too but you may need them to cut it if it's too big) and some blue painter's tape to attach your bristol to the plastic.(if you tape it down on all four sides then you'll have a nice clean white edge when you remove the tape too). That'll give you a good portable surface to paint on that you can lean on a chair or whatever.

One thing to watch out for with acrylics is that they dry really fast and having the paint dry on your brushes is a pretty quick way to wreck them. So just make sure to always have water nearby and clean the brushes well when you are done. Dish soap like dial works fine don't need any specialty stuff. Even meh brushes will last a while if you do the bare minimum in maintaining them.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 15, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

JuniperCake posted:

Also take a look at canvas panels. That tends to be cheaper than a normal canvas and are often in variety packs so if you buy a set with one of the 30-40% coupons they have (or during a good sale) you can get quite a lot of them pretty cheaply.

Another budget option would be to get some bristol board which holds up just fine with acrylics. You can buy the strathmore brand (any brand should do) for less than a dollar a sheet. Then you just need to buy a corrugated plastic board (art stores usually sell these too but you may need them to cut it if it's too big) and some blue painter's tape to attach your bristol to the plastic.(if you tape it down on all four sides then you'll have a nice clean white edge when you remove the tape too). That'll give you a good portable surface to paint on that you can lean on a chair or whatever.

One thing to watch out for with acrylics is that they dry really fast and having the paint dry on your brushes is a pretty quick way to wreck them. So just make sure to always have water nearby and clean the brushes well when you are done. Dish soap like dial works fine don't need any specialty stuff. Even meh brushes will last a while if you do the bare minimum in maintaining them.

If I plan on doing oils eventually should I start with that? That would be better for learning color/blending since they don't dry as fast

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

goodness posted:

If I plan on doing oils eventually should I start with that? That would be better for learning color/blending since they don't dry as fast

It's up to you and your budget. It would definitely cost less money to get started with acrylics than it would with oil. You also don't have to deal with paint thinners, room ventilation, stuff taking forever to dry if you are doing glazing, the fact that everything you use is really flammable, etc. However if your end goal is oils, then it's not a bad idea to start with them since painting with them is a very different experience. Oils are pretty nice and my personal favorite so I am a bit biased. The only caveat is if you haven't done either you may not know which one you'll enjoy more. You might end up liking acrylics more than oils so it's worth to do a little of both if you can before you heavily invest in one or the other.

If for now you just want to slow down drying time, you can use a slow-drying medium with your acrylics. That stuff is not terribly cheap but a little bit of it can go a long way. There is also stuff like Golden's open acrylic line which take much longer to dry than normal acrylics. You can also try misting your palette to keep your paints moist and sometimes the stay-wet palletes they have at the art store do a pretty good job of keeping paints wet a long time. So there's several options for making that work.

Also if you do go oil, keep what Ferrule said in mind. If you come up with any custom painting surfaces, you will need to gesso it (multiple coats) before you can paint on it. Oil is far more picky about surface treatment than acrylic is. It will crack or even fall off the surface if it hasn't been prepared correctly. Ideally, you'll also want an easel and have a set up that is not in the same place you eat or sleep for health reasons if you can. You can get by without an easel with acrylic but you'll really need it with oils. You can build your own out of some wood or maybe re-purpose a chair, but you'll need something.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

goodness posted:

You can buy retarder medium that you can mix with your colors so they won't dry as fast. Not sure how it affects color property but if fast drying turns out to be a problem there's ways to slow that down.