Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would be very behind that as a concept for an alien sequel/rip off. Upstream Alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always assumed the whole alien life cycle was to produce a creature perfectly tailored to the host's environment, down to possibly having some basic memories/concepts like how to use a door and generally understanding your prey.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

The hieroglyphics were a little on-the-nose, though. :v:

So in this delection, there's no queen, but instead a giant biomechanical xenolady birthing or laying an egg. Hmm

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So in this delection, there's no queen, but instead a giant biomechanical xenolady birthing or laying an egg. Hmm

I like that the ancient aliens poo poo is already implicit in this concept art. It directly mirrors the most common depiction of Nut, the Egyptian sky goddess, whose headdress was a pot that symbolized the uterus. She is generally depicted with her brother-consort Geb lying beneath her, often with an upward pointing erection. Their son Osiris was killed and dismembered, but put back together by his sister-wife Isis and then climbed a ladder back into his mother to assume the role of King of the Dead.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hey, that's AvP!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sockser posted:

When a caterpillar cocoons itself and metamorphoses into a butterfly, the entirety of the caterpillar dissolves into a goo that by no standard could be considered an organism, which then reconstitutes itself into the butterfly that will break free. Studies have shown that caterpillars can form memories that carry over to the butterfly phase of their lifecycle, despite essentially not existing in between.
This is genuinely really fascinating, I had no idea that's what happens. Thanks for this, you learn something new every day. :cheers:

Baronjutter posted:

I always assumed the whole alien life cycle was to produce a creature perfectly tailored to the host's environment, down to possibly having some basic memories/concepts like how to use a door and generally understanding your prey.
You're not totally off-base - even though the whole "taking traits from the host" thing wasn't made explicit until the third movie, it was an idea that Ridley Scott and James Cameron had in the backs of their minds while making the first two.

If we throw AvP Requiem's Predalien into the mix, you end up with some interesting implications: the Predalien literally skins the corpses of the other Predators on the ship at the beginning of the movie and strings up their remains (you can see the corpses in the unrated cut when the main Predator investigates the crash). It's a kind of weird thing for the Predalien to do, unless it's not a cultural behavior and is actually an instinctive one (similar to the dog-Alien "playing with its food" in the third movie). So if the Predalien skinning corpses is an instinctive behavior, performed without conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality, what does it say about humans when the one in 'Alien' is a violent rape-monster? Is that the Alien's natural behavior, or is it merely expressing something from the host?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

Although even if the eggs in the hold aren't the Derelict's crew, the implication behind the egg morphing is still that all those eggs were morphed from something, and that's pretty hosed.

The egg morphing/Derelict crew idea isn't something I'm inferring out of thin air, that actually was the original intent in an earlier draft of the movie. It was conveyed a bit differently, though: originally there was the crashed Derelict ship and a separate "egg silo" sorta-pyramid structure that had all the eggs, with a bunch of hieroglyphs depicting the Alien life cycle. The Nostromo crew would find the Derelict, find the Space Jockey, and then move on to find the egg silo, climb the side, and Kane would get lowered down an opening at the top, find a bunch of eggs, and get facehugged. It was ambiguous whether the Derelict and the egg silo were related, or if the Derelict was just another ill-fated explorer like the Nostromo.
I think they were even intending on giving the Derelict and Pyramid/Egg Silo to different artists in the final designs to differentiate them but it's been a while since I read through all this stuff.

Dan O'Bannon's original idea was that the Alien was a symbiotic life form that lived in conjunction with some kind of space cow on the planet. They were relatively advanced and built structures like the Pyramid with all the hieroglyphics as decorations. Some kind of planetary catastrophe killed off all the cows and turned LV426 into the inhospitable hellhole that we know and love, so all that survived were the eggs. The alien in the movie is a killer because it's a feral child - nobody is around to teach it to behave otherwise. I'm not clear how much of this was ever written down in any scripts; this is all very early on and may just have been ramblings between O'Bannon and Ron Cobb. In case you're struggling to imagine the xeno's sitting around drinking tea and debating philosophy, this is way before Giger was involved so nobody had a good idea of what the alien looked like.

I had forgotten that Giger actually tried to save the hieroglyph in the movie somewhere but got shot down. You can actually see an outline of it above the middle bulb in the egg chamber painting:

I think I agree with Ridley on taking it out. Having it there would make it unmistakeable that the Jockey knew exactly what it was carrying and that they had a long history together (one way or the other). I prefer having it be a total mystery what the relationship is between the two species.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is there any other live action film or film series, sci-fi or otherwise, where a (non film) visual artist's work has had such a singular effect on the film's success? Its easy to imagine that without Geiger's input, Alien would have ended up maybe being a cult favorite like The Thing, but not the acclaimed (at least at first) franchise that it became.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is there any other live action film or film series, sci-fi or otherwise, where a (non film) visual artist's work has had such a singular effect on the film's success? Its easy to imagine that without Geiger's input, Alien would have ended up maybe being a cult favorite like The Thing, but not the acclaimed (at least at first) franchise that it became.
It could have gone all the way with Ron Cobb! ALL THE WAY

There's probably plenty of similar examples in animated movies but I can't think of one for live action stuff. People like Syd Mead and Jean Giraud obviously shaped a ton of movies (both directly and indirectly) but I don't know how critical their exact design language were to any particular franchise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You could say that Alan Lee and John Howe had that type of influence on the look of the Lord of the Rings films. They had done some of the more famous illustrations even before then, but Jackson brought them on board very early on and used their drawings as a major foundation for the production design of the films.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lee / Howe has essentially become 'canon' (ugh) for LOTR. It's just how Middle-Earth looks now. If only Del Toro had more input - it'd be interesting to see if he would've stuck to the aesthetic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The closest you get is Stan Winston with the Terminator series, but even then, it's a stretch, since Cameron himself is such a keen designer.

I gotta say, I do prefer SMG's take on Alien. Such a nice illustration of the banality of evil. For Ripley, it was a life defining event. But, for the company, it was just standard procedure.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In Aliens, Ripley comments that the aliens don't gently caress each other over for a percentage, but in Resurrection two of them do kill a third in order to make an escape.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

In Aliens, Ripley comments that the aliens don't gently caress each other over for a percentage, but in Resurrection two of them do kill a third in order to make an escape.

Well its not like they hosed over the other one for an extra percentage of the escape, it was either do that or not escape at all.

The Xenos are the real protagonists!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

To be fair it was for the good of the whole.

Putting multiple Aliens in each cage was pretty goddamn dumb, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sure, I get that it's a more understandable betrayal. It's more that my recollection is that the one who dies doesn't exactly go willingly. In the second movie Ripley is speaking to the aliens' unity, but there's obviously a limit to that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, I get that it's a more understandable betrayal. It's more that my recollection is that the one who dies doesn't exactly go willingly. In the second movie Ripley is speaking to the aliens' unity, but there's obviously a limit to that.

Yeah I seem to remember the alien who drew the short straw being pretty upset about it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Something something human impurities in the DNA making them selfish, imperfect organisms

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The doctor's face as they escape is amazing though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
New Alien: Covenant teaser poster:

This is pretty bold in terms of saying this movie's gonna be fuckin' nuts, which will make the nerd rage if it's similar to Prometheus all the more satisfying since folks will naively get hyped up again just from a few posters like this and an intense teaser trailer or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 24, 2016

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's gonna be funny if the supposed spoilers that the film features poisonous spores that crew members inhale and then have neomorphs erupt from them like William Gibson's terrible Alien 3 script are true.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope this movie generates even more heat than Prometheus. Bring on airborne spore infections and aliens calling your mom on the phone like in the original script.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As long as I get to see my Xenos again as the poster implies, I'm loving down for anything

Also new ideas, right direction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

It's gonna be funny if the supposed spoilers that the film features poisonous spores that crew members inhale and then have neomorphs erupt from them like William Gibson's terrible Alien 3 script are true.

This would legit own. I mean I don't miss it in Alien 3 since Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was loving awesome but it seems like a natural extension of how some of the transformative stuff happens in Prometheus.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'd be in favour of it since, as much as I love Aliens, it let their life cycle make too much sense. It should be some insane moebius strip structure, rather than a more horrifying version of things we have on earth.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

New Alien: Covenant teaser poster:

This is pretty bold in terms of saying this movie's gonna be fuckin' nuts, which will make the nerd rage if it's similar to Prometheus all the more satisfying since folks will naively get hyped up again just from a few posters like this and an intense teaser trailer or whatever.
This poster is pretty great, I love the simplicity of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like Gibson but holllly poo poo his script was so loving bad. I read the whole thing once and half again thinking I missed something, nope, just real bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Well its not like they hosed over the other one for an extra percentage of the escape, it was either do that or not escape at all.

The Xenos are the real protagonists!

They also did capture some dude right away after they escaped. Did they really lose any numbers?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I'd be in favour of it since, as much as I love Aliens, it let their life cycle make too much sense. It should be some insane moebius strip structure, rather than a more horrifying version of things we have on earth.

Oh, but it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I love that stuff.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Baronjutter posted:

I like Gibson but holllly poo poo his script was so loving bad. I read the whole thing once and half again thinking I missed something, nope, just real bad.

Gibson didn't write that script.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AlternateAccount posted:

Gibson didn't write that script.
The spore thing? He wrote two drafts of it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Getting back to Eggs Derelict chat for a moment:
I believe HR Giger insisted that there should be only 7 eggs inside the derelict (get it?) but Scott was like "Nah, there should be lots".

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
So there were these series of comics published throughout the 90s and 00s set in the Alien universe; and now, apparently they are releasing novelizations of them that began in January of this year. Maybe the hype for Alien Covenant and Blomkamp's possible sequel spilled over into the book world? Each volume is going to have a multiple adaptations, and two of them are available now:

From what I've read, there will eventually be a total of 7 volumes.

For people here who've read any of the novels set in the Alien universe: were they any good?

Also, I saw the leaked set photos of the new movie, and it looks creepy as hell. Maybe we'll get a teaser trailer in December since the studio moved the release date up to May from August?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The novels were released in the 90s as well. As far as are they any good? I dunno, it was pretty standard grim future dystopia stuff, and they do some creative writing to cover up the fact that certain characters are robots.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

In the novelisation the short straw alien is selected because it's percieved to be slightly weaker, and although it agrees with the plan it's instincts are too strong to not fight for survival. The novelisation is kinda dumb, but there's some good things like the alien and Ripley having shared memories of flames, wanting to protect offspring and something orange and feral.

A Deacon posted:

For people here who've read any of the novels set in the Alien universe: were they any good?

No. Dear god, no.

Which is to say "yes" if you're absolutely craving for a fix, but they're pretty bad. Awesome it you were 14 at the time of release, but bad, bad fiction. Some decent ideas here and there and the fact that they actual have the Aliens gently caress up Earth is great, but be aware of what you're getting youselves into.

It also doesn't help that the first few were originally written as having Newt and Hicks in them, but then Alien 3 came along and suddenly they were reprinted to be completely different people that just happened to have had the same experiences on another colony. But if you can get round all of this, they're not bad for the Xeno obsessive.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A Deacon posted:

So there were these series of comics published throughout the 90s and 00s set in the Alien universe; and now, apparently they are releasing novelizations of them that began in January of this year. Maybe the hype for Alien Covenant and Blomkamp's possible sequel spilled over into the book world? Each volume is going to have a multiple adaptations, and two of them are available now:

Also, I saw the leaked set photos of the new movie, and it looks creepy as hell. Maybe we'll get a teaser trailer in December since the studio moved the release date up to May from August?

In one of those books there's a timed sex part wheres it supposed to mimic the solders training. I don't remember which one, I was in middle school or high school.

:thumbsup:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was maybe 16ish when I read those novels and I barely made it through Nightmare Asylum because it was so bad but kept reading them because I was a dumbass and hey more Aliens stuff. That whole Alien "3"/Earth Hive trilogy is some of the worst stuff I've ever read in my life. I read another one, uh, Harvest? The one with the professional theif and the dweeb that builds a robot alien suit to help smuggle large amounts of the alien queen secretion to make a lot of money.

It was mediocre too but it stuck out to me because it had some more time spent on earth and a lot of it was like a heist story. It was cool to see some more of how society works and uses for alien stuff outside of potential military applications like in the previous ones and a bit of how the economy works in the future. But it was a bad "Aliens" story in a way in that the only interesting parts didn't directly involve alien action.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 27, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A Deacon posted:

I have the Aliens: Book One comic book series mainly for nostalgia reasons (I guess it's called "Earth War" now) and the story is OK. I think the artwork (at least in its original B/W) is great:

(Best scan I could find) Unfortunately they now have a colorized one that looks utterly abysmal.

A novelization of a comic book, though? Why do you think this would be good?

I read a few of those books in middle school and I guess they were entertaining back then, but even then I could tell that the prose was a bit questionable. Lots of violence and sex though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

The one with the professional theif and the dweeb that builds a robot alien suit to help smuggle large amounts of the alien queen secretion to make a lot of money.

Ugh... I'd forgotten about this. International ninja thief girl and pet robot alien. Even as a kid I remember thinking "what the hell?"