Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I am Otis posted:

I set mine to 90. I don't tab anymore :p
At some point it's actually more harmful for me because my chance of hitting the wrong direction and walking (diagonals :argh:)outweighs the risk of hitting tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
How good are Mana Vipers in extended? I'm thinking of dropping PArrow now that it's outlived its usefulness.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mana vipers are good for the entire game. Their raw attack power isn't great compared to other summons but their antimagic bites combined with fast speed makes them great support summons. Basically every dangerous enemy in extended counts as a spellcaster and all of them are vulnerable to antimagic. Using summon mana viper to support you means they can end up missing several turns due to failed casting attempts.

Just be aware they aren't a summon you use for damage in extended so you should only use them if your own damage output is good. Also they don't work very well against opponents with AOEs unless you get the drop on them. Trying to summon vipers midfight against a hell sentinel, for example, probably wont work well since it'll just blow them up while also hitting you.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I would have Firestorm, Shatter, and Glaciate. So damage output is good, if not very target-specific, maybe I should drop one of those three for OoD.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I walked down some stairs, saw Nikola. Before I could react he chain lightning'd me for about 80 hp and then chain lightning'd me again for the remaining 50 before I could go back up, killing me.

Enemies with lightning damage are rare but holy poo poo they will slaughter you if you can't get away.

edit: JFC he can hit up to 256 with a single cast!

Carcer fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I just ran a HOMo of Ieoh Jian, holy poo poo that was one of the most absurd and beautiful things I've experienced in crawl. I loving loved it. Crazy strong but not broken really. Kind of like a mix of Usk and Hep. I really hope they make it to Trunk without getting nerfed much if any.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I would have Firestorm, Shatter, and Glaciate. So damage output is good, if not very target-specific, maybe I should drop one of those three for OoD.

Don't bother.
All thee of those are fine for single targets. The only issue you might have is ice or shadow* fiends in melee range but OoD isn't great there either. The secret to blaster endgame is realizing that level 9 spells can replace almost all other damage sources. OoD is great and still useful in extended but it's completely outclassed by all three of those spells, don't drop one for it.

*I really dislike the new name for shadow fiends, it's completely out of place with the other fiends. Now if you want to describe the group of greater demons that also have torment it's "fiends and also twizzlers"

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

I walked down some stairs, saw Nikola. Before I could react he chain lightning'd me for about 80 hp and then chain lightning'd me again for the remaining 50 before I could go back up, killing me.

Enemies with lightning damage are rare but holy poo poo they will slaughter you if you can't get away.

edit: JFC he can hit up to 256 with a single cast!

That's specifically Nikola; most other elec using enemies are high damage but pretty predictable in how much they can do in a turn. Never fight him without rElec or a potion of resistance. If you don't have either, you can risk it with summon butterflies/loads of summons or undead to try to mitigate the chain lightning bounces until you kill him (but you should only do this if he's blocking the only way you can go and you have no alternative routes left).

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It was in swamp and I immediately decided to go and try snake instead. I didn't realize he'd get 2 casts off before I could even move, though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Okay the code for entering a new level for the first time is, IIRC empty energy for all monsters which theoretically should allow you to jump back up the stairs without anything being able to do anything to you except maybe one thing. All other times, monsters are playing by the normal rules. Couple this with it actually takes 1.5 aut to take the stairs instead of maybe the expected 1.0 for a move (taking more for slower moving species and vice versa) and an unfortunate player could have a monster decide to cast spells twice.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, it wasn't my first entry into the level. The other stairs I tried was out in the open with a pack of weird things and a couple swamp dragons in sight. I didn't know it took 1.5 aut to move up stairs, though. Looking at my inventory I did have a potion of resistance, and should have drank it, but didn't want to give him another shot at me, which is ironic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Motherfuck. I had a great merfolk going, steamrolling the midgame. Cornered by Norris. He berserks. That's real bad. I read tele. Quaff some un-IDed potions hoping for agility or something. It's loving lignification and cancels my tele.

Someone please peel my smashed merman off the walls of orc.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Motherfuck. I had a great merfolk going, steamrolling the midgame. Cornered by Norris. He berserks. That's real bad. I read tele. Quaff some un-IDed potions hoping for agility or something. It's loving lignification and cancels my tele.

Someone please peel my smashed merman off the walls of orc.

drat man, how do you get to mid game with un-ID'd pots?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It happens, it's just rare for it to be a reasonably common potion like lig.

The moral of the story is, know what unided potions are left before panic chugging in midgame. Same goes for scrolls. (unless you enjoy inner flames on the thing you're panic-reading from :v:)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't usually quaff-ID. I might get a lovely mutation or waste a good potion that I could use later. Usually I find enough ID scrolls.

It wasn't a good move, but the tele probably would have just dropped me into a pack of sorcerers anyway.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Man, I'm dying right before my first rune on like every run now. Just ran into Bai Suzhen for my first time. She's pretty mean and I suck at playing casters. Also, I should probably stop autoexploring Shoals.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there a decent mobile crawl app

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is there a decent mobile crawl app

crawl is goddamn impossible to play on a small screen

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I figured but I thought I might as well ask.

No tablet, so vOv

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

crawl is goddamn impossible to play on a small screen

It's possible, but you have to play console. I don't know if the app on the Google Play store has updated to the most recent version yet.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's one that just loads up webtiles, if you've got wifi floating around.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I had a beautiful Demonspawn gladiator with a superb axe trying to clear the bottom Orc floor. The vault, specifically, which seemed Hell related. I drop below my HP safety threshhold and so quaff a tele potion, and it delightfully throws me two rows into the mob I was trying to escape. Yes, I had a blink scroll. Yes I died.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I had a beautiful Demonspawn gladiator with a superb axe trying to clear the bottom Orc floor. The vault, specifically, which seemed Hell related. I drop below my HP safety threshhold and so quaff a tele potion, and it delightfully throws me two rows into the mob I was trying to escape. Yes, I had a blink scroll. Yes I died.

thank you for dying to my lovely, hand-crafted Pandemonium orc ending. i'm really hoping to make a strong placement in the Player-Killing Competition this year and i'll need a lot of help to get there! every death counts.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

resistentialism posted:

There's one that just loads up webtiles, if you've got wifi floating around.

The webtiles one for android is pretty good, I won my only game last tournament on it using a tablet and Bluetooth keyboard. Only problem I had was it hates the keyboard for free text entry (searching, specifying a branch level to run to, etc) and refused to accept any text. Minor niggle, and it might be fine with a soft keyboard.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I just had the sickest recovery involving memorizing Regeneration at 6 HP while lethally poisoned and then drinking brilliance to have it castable at 1% and bring me out of lethally poisoned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Twenty minutes later, gets shafted into Depths 5 and leaves a sick-looking splatter on the floor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darox posted:

*I really dislike the new name for shadow fiends, it's completely out of place with the other fiends. Now if you want to describe the group of greater demons that also have torment it's "fiends and also twizzlers"

I agree with this. Before all the 1s capable of casting torment were fiends. When pit fiends got reworked into sentinels they lost torment so the name change makes sense. The change from shadow fiends to titzi-whatevers barely changed anything about how they work. They are still the negative energy fiends, just with a stupid name that's impossible to remember. Which is why I just keep calling them shadow fiends.

But their tile is cool.

PleasingFungus posted:

thank you for dying to my lovely, hand-crafted Pandemonium orc ending. i'm really hoping to make a strong placement in the Player-Killing Competition this year and i'll need a lot of help to get there! every death counts.

You need to make more acid vaults if you really want to rack up that player kill count. Maybe something early in the dungeon with entropy weavers.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whoever made the vault that's got 2 orc warriors, 2 rust devils and can show up around d:5 is a real bastard

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm gonna take the record with my new ending "Mara's Sister and her Shard Shrike Aviary"

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I found a vault with runed doors and glass walls, a small box with the shield of resistance in the center guarded by two fire dragons and two ice dragons. It was a neat thing and I planned on cracking it open after another 6~ or so levels. A little while later on that floor I met trouble and used a teleport. In this giant empty level, I landed in the middle of the sealed glass box and the dragons quickly obliterated me.

Never trust teleport.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I need to stop feeding strong characters to orc mines, I am starting to see my own ghosts there every single game.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Latest guy, I was a troll with a huge number of good mutations, had 5 star piety with ashenzari, and had just found an unarmed combat manual. I could have xp transferred my skills to the moon, but I fought the queen bee and the queen bee +10 berserk killer bees won.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I decided the game wasn't unpredictable enough so I chose a Troll Wanderer. Game gave me a bow, crossbow, and ammo and skills for both. Probably about as good as it is going to get.

Edit: D6, go down the stairs and Sigmund and Eustachio are having a staring contest.

Elusif fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 24, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

It's possible, but you have to play console. I don't know if the app on the Google Play store has updated to the most recent version yet.

I play Android console every day during my lunch break. It works even on a fairly small phone, but only has the latest stable version, not Trunk. I imagine it will update to 0.19 in the next couple weeks.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Christ cyclops stones hurt like heck.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I have made a very grave error. A troll should not worship gozag.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Just buy all your food :downs:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Ok, I'm pretty sure at this point I just subconsciously don't want to win at this point. I had an amazing MiGl^Makhleb going and I just threw it away fighting Mara for no reason at all. I could have just blown a couple of more resources and it wouldn't have been an issue at all, but I got stubborn for no apparent reason. I had a ton of excellent mutations, no bad mutations, rods of shadows/lightning/iron, etc. I don't even have the excuse that I forgot how dangerous he is. Argh.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Decided to try a spriggan assassin and it actually worked out so far. I've never had much luck with stealthy characters. What should I have as a goal right now? My sneakiness seems to be falling off, I haven't been getting too many stab chances lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

taqueso posted:

Decided to try a spriggan assassin and it actually worked out so far. I've never had much luck with stealthy characters. What should I have as a goal right now? My sneakiness seems to be falling off, I haven't been getting too many stab chances lately.

++++++.... seems way too low for a Spriggan with 18 DEX and 15 Stealth. Did the values for how much stealth is in each plus change or something?

• Locked thread