Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Chaos in Canberra :supaburn: Election NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jesus Christ. Surely the government can't keep him on now.

Condemn and cut loose, Malcolm. Condemn and cut loose!

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Could this be part of Abbott's plan to get back in?
Dutton did support him against Turnbull in the last spill? They're working together?

Malcolm firing Dutton is just fodder for Abbott to use to claim he could run things better.

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 24, 2016

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

quote:

Dutton condemns threats

Labor MP Anne Aly, the first Muslim woman to be elected to Parliament and an expert in counter-terrorism, said the Immigration Minister's comments were "extremely disappointing" and feared they were made in malice.

Dr Aly linked Mr Dutton's comments to death threats she and her family received along with an email telling her to go home and "take all her terrorist friends with her".

Mr Dutton condemned the threats, but said Dr Aly should be asking questions of her party leader.

"I would condemn anybody that has made any death threat, of course I would," he said.

"But again, the question she should be asking Bill Shorten is why did he seek to whip this up into an issue of political advantage for himself?"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pauline is having a serious meltdown.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ora Tzo posted:

Could this be part of Abbott's plan to get back in?
Dutton did support him against Turnbull in the last spill? They're working together?

Malcolm firing Dutton is just fodder for Abbott to use to claim he could run things better.

Yes, it’s a long bow but reckon this could add to the federal destabilization.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Scientists successfully teach gorilla to read at a Daily Telegraph-level
The great ape has now sadly become Islamophobic.

ZOOKEEPERS AT DUBBO’S WESTERN Plains Zoo are delighted to announce this morning that scientists from the nearby TAFE college have successfully taught Glenn, a four-year-old juvenile gorilla, to read at a Daily Telegraph-level.

Named after Narromine-born cricketer Glenn McGrath, the gorilla was the first to be born at the zoo. His birth heralded a new beginning for the nation’s gorilla breeding programme.

“It’s a truly remarkable achievement,” said Head Ape Keeper, Debby Frog.

“Glenn has always been a bit slower than the other gorillas we have here. While his cousins have recently been observed using tools for the first time, which is a major cognitive milestone in a gorilla’s development, Glenn has not,”

“But he’s now the only gorilla in the world who enjoys reading the Daily Telegraph, which is just amazing.” she said.

Originally published as “Ape reads, two die in horror crash near Gilgandra” in The Daily Liberal.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/scientists-successfully-teach-gorilla-to-read-at-a-daily-telegraph-level/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Pauline is having a serious meltdown.

Please explain?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's pulling the :siren:REVERSE RACISM:siren: card

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/801631563775545344

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What's the backpacker tax?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Aside from the aforementioned meltdown about people calling her Racist, One Nation got tricked hard by the Coalition today. They agreed to vote for the increase in the passenger movement charge (from 55$ to 60$ every time someone travels out of Australia) on the condition that it would be frozen (I.E no more increases) for the next 5 years. After the vote Penny Wong got up and pointed out the freeze was meaningless because in the future the parliament could just increase the charge and remove the freeze, she went on to say that One Nation had been tricked and so on.

Then Pauline got up, absolutely furious, going on how about it was all so complicated and she had only been in parliament for a few months and blah blah blah. Not sure if she was mad at Penny, the coalition or both. Meanwhile Her Senator Culleton is in Lala land again.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

quote:

Peter Dutton says Labor has 'misrepresented' his remarks about Lebanese Muslims

‘The facts here are indisputable … I’m on safe ground because I’ve relied on the facts,’ immigration minister says

Peter Dutton has claimed to be a victim of Labor’s “misrepresentation” of his comments about Lebanese-Muslim immigration in the 1970s – while continuing to argue that the facts are “indisputable”.

The immigration minister told 2GB and then journalists at a press conference in Canberra on Thursday that the Labor leader, Bill Shorten, had “sought to completely misrepresent what I said” about Malcolm Fraser’s decision in the 1970s to allow Lebanese Muslim migrants to come to Australia.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Aside from the aforementioned meltdown about people calling her Racist, One Nation got tricked hard by the Coalition today. They agreed to vote for the increase in the passenger movement charge (from 55$ to 60$ every time someone travels out of Australia) on the condition that it would be frozen (I.E no more increases) for the next 5 years. After the vote Penny Wong got up and pointed out the freeze was meaningless because in the future the parliament could just increase the charge and remove the freeze, she went on to say that One Nation had been tricked and so on.

Then Pauline got up, absolutely furious, going on how about it was all so complicated and she had only been in parliament for a few months and blah blah blah. Not sure if she was mad at Penny, the coalition or both. Meanwhile Her Senator Culleton is in Lala land again.

What is the aforementioned meltdown? I haven't seen it yet :(

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This + the cape york time thing, dutton really is just some thick as poo poo racist

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...124-gswjxp.html

An excerpt

quote:

Senator Hanson, anyway, had moved on to offering her knowledge of constitutional matters. Specifially, Section 51 (xxvi), the one that excluded, until 1967,  the Parliament from making any laws affecting Aboriginal people - thus, for two thirds of last century, ensuring Indigenous people were not considered worthy of any place in federal law.

Mountains of opinion have been written and spoken by eminent lawyers and High Court judges about this "race power" section, but Senator Hanson had her own - and you'd have to say, unique - take on it.

It wasn't about Aboriginal people at all, she said.

It was to do with the Chinese and the Afghans "and the opium and the immigration

Theres more

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Milky Moor posted:

What's the backpacker tax?
The Administrative Appeals Tribunal determined that backpackers are not allowed the tax free threashold. Unless parliment enacts special legislation they will be taxed at 34(?) %. A negotiation was done and 22(/) % was 'agreed'. When the legislation was put lambie said 10.5(?)% and Labour jumped on it like a starving seagull.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartoon posted:

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal determined that backpackers are not allowed the tax free threashold. Unless parliment enacts special legislation they will be taxed at 34(?) %. A negotiation was done and 22(/) % was 'agreed'. When the legislation was put lambie said 10.5(?)% and Labour jumped on it like a starving seagull.

And now it's all over the place with people arguing if it is set high enough farmers will be forced to employ "cheaper" Australian labour thus good for us VS the people saying if it is set too high farmers won't have the money to hire people to support the chunk of the agricultural industry that actually relies on the backpacker labour for harvests.

Ta will give it a read!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0AK349A7aQ

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The man Cullenton threatened a magistrate over

quote:

Walter was barred from legally representing others in Queensland in 2011 after acting in at least 10 cases where a judge said he ran the same “peculiar” but futile line of legal argument challenging state and local authorities over legislation including tree-clearing controls.

He argued unsuccessfully during bankruptcy proceedings that legislation passed in Australia since 1966 is unconstitutional because it has been signed by governor generals who were paid in dollars, not pounds as specified by the constitution.

Gargan argued the same point to press the former officer’s case in a letter to the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, in April.

He urged Turnbull to call a “referendum to normalise the currency” as “no legislation since 1966 has been legitimately approved by any governor general because none of them have been paid in legitimate currency”.

There's so much more and it is hilarious

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/nov/24/rod-culleton-and-the-associates-who-claim-50-years-of-australian-laws-are-invalid

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
<3 Jacqui

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/801653174570393600

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Tough first day on the job.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

The man Cullenton threatened a magistrate over

There's so much more and it is hilarious

Actual freemen on the land, classic case. Reminder that people voted this moron in.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ewe2 posted:

Actual freemen on the land, classic case. Reminder that people voted this moron in.

The voters needed to send a message to the inner city elites

butthold
Apr 5, 2009
Gee, it's almost as if Pauline Hanson isn't qualified to be a senator. :raise:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

butthold posted:

She is the representative her voters deserve.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

I think I got my hopes too high with how well Ricky turned out.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

butthold posted:

It's fascinating how Queensland this all is. It's just a big authoritarian racist corrupt white trash inferiority complex state, and reliably throws up this kind of politician.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just goes to show barely anybody votes for their local representative, they vote for the party and their buzzwords.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

I think I got my hopes too high with how well Ricky turned out.

Ricky turned out well because he wasn't a fuckwit with his head stuck up his arse. Thus, he was able to look at things clearly and have a non-hack staff.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

australia didn't deserve ricky and that's why he was taken from us

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ricky owns the sawmill now :unsmith:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
No coincidence he came from the best state.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

In doing up that sawmill he has also done more for the region is from than the nats have in 50 years.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Guardian posted:

Tasmanian town may rename cricket oval after Donald Trump

The small town of Westbury in Tasmania is considering changing the name of its cricket ground to the Donald J Trump park in a gesture of friendship toward the US president-elect.

Councillor John Temple suggested the name change at a Meander Valley council meeting this week, noting that Trump was “likely to be the greatest agent of change this century”.

Despite the chortles of his fellow councillors, Temple assured Guardian Australia it was a genuine suggestion.

He cited the importance of the Australia’s military alliance with the US and the relative exposure of Tasmania as an island, should anyone decide to attack.

“It is in our best interests to extend the hand of friendship to the new president of the United States, who is not a politician and will likely come at things from a different perspective,” he said.
The response, Temple said, had been mixed.

“The personal conversations I have had have all been positive,” he said. “I have seen things on Facebook calling me an idiot.”

Temple said he suggested the cricket ground not because he believed Trump had any great affection for the sport, but because the oval, known for the giant stumps that serve as a gate to the grounds, happens to be opposite his workplace.

According to local paper the Examiner, the extent of Trump’s interest in cricket is that he briefly followed former Australian test batsman Damien Martyn on Twitter.

The Examiner noted Temple’s suggestion was followed by another question by councillor Bob Richardson, who sought official clarification on whether Trump had promised to “make America great again” or “make America grate again”.

It’s presumed Richardson spelled the pun for the transcript.

It is, Temple conceded, unlikely that naming an oval after Trump would induce the property mogul turned politician to visit the small town of 1,500. After all, there are so many other buildings bearing his name.

If Trump did visit, he would be the most famous person to visit Westbury since 1954, when the Queen and Prince Philip drove through on their inaugural visit to Australia.

According to Temple, some in the town still talk about it.

It is anticipated a presidential visit would have a similar impact.

There is precedent for renaming sporting areas in the Meander Valley council area, shire president Craig Perkins said. The Deloraine football ground changed its name to the Bendigo Bank football stadium after a particularly lucrative sponsorship deal.

“Maybe if he [Trump] wanted to throw some dollars at the cricket club they would agree to change the name,” he said.

Perkins said he had assumed Temple was joking and did not intend to pursue the suggestion, saying: “I would be surprised if that actually came to fruition.”

But he said Trump was welcome to visit regardless. “If he wanted to come over I’m sure we could talk the cricket club into getting him in the batting line-up,” he said. “He wouldn’t be the starter, I don’t think.”

Perkins said he had raised the idea with Trump on Twitter, but “he hasn’t replied yet”.

The suggestion has been referred to the council’s workshopping committee.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/24/tasmanian-town-may-rename-cricket-oval-after-donald-trump

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
slow news day, aye Ratbag Ciarg?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

ewe2 posted:

It's fascinating how Queensland this all is. It's just a big authoritarian racist corrupt white trash inferiority complex state, and reliably throws up this kind of politician.

Rod Culleton is from WA though, so it's not just qld

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ricky is the hero Australia needed but didn't deserve.

ewe2 posted:

As a native Queenslander this makes me feel very sad :(

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
A legal argument based on the currency the Governor General who signed it into law was paid in is amazing. I'm still in awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

Rod Culleton is from WA though, so it's not just qld

They are oddly similar in many ways. WA is wealthier which might explain the veneer of civilization compared to Queensland. Queensland is so much more badly managed, though. Once they're done plundering the ground and climate change fucks up primary industry, it'll be a proper basket case. WA isn't far behind, what with the salt problem.

Gridlocked posted:

As a native Queenslander this makes me feel very sad :(

It makes me sad too, I lived there and lived in towns from the top to the bottom of the state. But it's run by hillbillies on behalf of bloated pigs. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

• Locked thread