Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

botany posted:

In some game a while ago I got a "naturalist" that was supposed to do something something nature park whatever. I couldn't figure out how to use him and just parked him somewhere, hoping he's become useful eventually. Then I won the game and that was that. In my latest game toward the end I noticed that Spain also had one of those guys sitting around doing nothing, so now I'm wondering what that unit is supposed to do? The Civopedia is incredibly unhelpful.

I typed "what do naturalists do in civ vi" into a website called Google and the top result gave me the answer. I hope you find this exciting new website more useful than the in-game documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So in the game where my field guns and bombards had 6 base range for some reason, upgrading the latter to artillery had no effect on range and upgrading to machine guns resulted in MG Corps with 5 range.

This has proven especially vexing for Tomyris, who surprise-declared me a few turns before I was going to CB-declare her, only to find out that I had been waiting for the MG upgrade to enhance the majority of my army. Not that I had much trouble wiping out her carpet of obsolete units, but Mechanized Infantry started showing up on the front presumably when she started pumping out units to replace casualties, and they take a lot of focusing to batter down. Fortunately, they tend to retreat once damaged but never far enough to get out of range of glitched MGs!

Newly-built Artillery units seem to retain the range glitch, but newly-build MG units do not. Fortunately the only reason I've been building either is to boost my army from being mostly Corps to being mostly Armies.

botany posted:

In some game a while ago I got a "naturalist" that was supposed to do something something nature park whatever. I couldn't figure out how to use him and just parked him somewhere, hoping he's become useful eventually. Then I won the game and that was that. In my latest game toward the end I noticed that Spain also had one of those guys sitting around doing nothing, so now I'm wondering what that unit is supposed to do? The Civopedia is incredibly unhelpful.

National parks have mildly-screwy rules which have to be fulfilled in order to be placed, and then on top of that you need to be concerned about Appeal as that has a pretty loving huge impact on how well they work.

Regardless, the only (I think) things they do revolve around Tourism so if you're not pursuing a cultural victory you don't really need to gently caress around with them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Military Engineers can build roads.

Military engineers suck horribly. 2 charges, really? Need an armory and cost 4 gpt maintenance? Can't even build forts when you first get them.

They'd be better if building roads didn't use charges. But alas.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Magil Zeal posted:

Military engineers suck horribly. 2 charges, really? Need an armory and cost 4 gpt maintenance? Can't even build forts when you first get them.

Airfields are really handy, but yeah the road building function is pretty much worthless. Should be a charge to set down a starting point (maybe free if it starts in a city), then another charge to build a road some amount of tiles (say, 6 or 7) away.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Well, that took an unexpected turn. Stated up a game as Montezuma to check him out and to try to explore culture victory a bit better. Instead, around turn 50 it struck me that I was in a perfect position to use a wonder I always ignore: great zimbabwe, and that the available city-states included LIsbon, Nan Madol, and Carthage. With Zimbabwe adding a flat +20 gold onto every trade route from my capital, I abandoned culture and starting expanding in earnest. Rushing trade districts with builders and buildings with gold, I ended up with a culture win anyway thanks largely to the trade routes and the great people that make industrial and campus districts generate tourists. e: Also like a dozen seaside resorts, because Eiffel Tower + Island Plates map

Sometimes all roads literally lead to Rome... or Tenochtitlan in this case.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 23, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Armories? So that's why I have never actually seen one in the build list. :downs:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

10% discount on Steam right now, not likely to see another discount until the Summer sale next year

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I love the addition of Builders and to manage and build my civilization in this Managing and Building Game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

First time I booted up the game since the patch, and I have to say the game creation menu is far, far better. Or at least the civ readout is. you get a big ol' page full of detail instead of a drop down with "Gets thing that does thing."

Mondian posted:

Well, that took an unexpected turn. Stated up a game as Montezuma to check him out and to try to explore culture victory a bit better. Instead, around turn 50 it struck me that I was in a perfect position to use a wonder I always ignore: great zimbabwe, and that the available city-states included LIsbon, Nan Madol, and Carthage. With Zimbabwe adding a flat +20 gold onto every trade route from my capital, I abandoned culture and starting expanding in earnest. Rushing trade districts with builders and buildings with gold, I ended up with a culture win anyway thanks largely to the trade routes and the great people that make industrial and campus districts generate tourists. e: Also like a dozen seaside resorts, because Eiffel Tower + Island Plates map

Jezus gently caress, +2.5K gold/turn!?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That single city has a higher output than most entire empires I've created so far, even during my deity win.

Reminds me of what happens when you get an ideal Petra city in Civ V. Ain't nobody able to compete with that!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mondian posted:

Yea. The ability to rush districts with gold shouldn't be over looked. Aztecs are pretty good imo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a reason I can't declare a protectorate war when Brazil is owning one of my city state buds? Even after he has captured it, the casus belli doesn't show up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can any warmongers honestly say that the warmongering amount means anything? I had -300 relations with the AIs from warmongering in my last game and only once did one of them attack me unprovoked. As we all know that meant I just had to kill a few units to being them to the peace table, even on Deity.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

JVNO posted:

That single city has a higher output than most entire empires I've created so far, even during my deity win.

Same, the gold was crazy from the start but once I unlocked the right civics (and built Ruhr) all those numbers just exploded.

Powercrazy posted:

Yea. The ability to rush districts with gold shouldn't be over looked. Aztecs are pretty good imo.

Really wish I'd been able to build the pyramids too. drat you Pericles :argh:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

Is there a reason I can't declare a protectorate war when Brazil is owning one of my city state buds? Even after he has captured it, the casus belli doesn't show up.

City States are never considered "owned" by anyone as far as diplomacy is concerned. You will get warmongering penalties for attacking them, but there is absolutely no way for the player to use them for diplomacy.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I can't find my archeologist. Do they just disappear after a certain time period or number of uses? I can't build a new one either and for some gently caress reason there's no list of all your poo poo. I really regret buying this game.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

I can't find my archeologist. Do they just disappear after a certain time period or number of uses? I can't build a new one either and for some gently caress reason there's no list of all your poo poo. I really regret buying this game.

Select an unit, then click it's name in the unit panel. That should pop out a list of all your units.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gay Horney posted:

Yeah, they disappear after three uses (forget how the English ones work exactly). You can get a list of all your units by clicking on a unit's name.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Gay Horney posted:

They disappear if youve filled up the museum from their home city.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
There's no option to build another one though? Do you only get one archeologist per museum? Thanks to the both of you for telling me where to find that list

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

There's no option to build another one though? Do you only get one archeologist per museum? Thanks to the both of you for telling me where to find that list

Only the city with the museum can build the archaeologist by the way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gay Horney posted:

Right. Archeologists exist to fill up their home museum. That is it. English ones work identically.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
I just wish they put in an option to clear out the artifacts if you don't have archaeologists so you can use the hex for your city. It's happened in a few games now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

City States are never considered "owned" by anyone as far as diplomacy is concerned. You will get warmongering penalties for attacking them, but there is absolutely no way for the player to use them for diplomacy.

But what use is the protectorate war then?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

I just wish they put in an option to clear out the artifacts if you don't have archaeologists so you can use the hex for your city. It's happened in a few games now.

that could be a cool mechanic if the other civs get angry at you for destroying invaluable cultural artifacts.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jastiger posted:

What use is any CB? Everyone will hate you regardless of what you use anyway. Just kick their poo poo in and stomp on their irradiated remains until no one remembers they existed in the first place.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Poil posted:

What use is any CB? Everyone will hate you regardless of what you use anyway. Just kick their poo poo in and stomp on their irradiated remains until no one remembers they existed in the first place.

Everyone will hate you if you are a warmonger no matter what and you are practically guaranteed to have a casus belli against the AI because they denounce you over and over again or a territorial(?) one because you have already taken some of their cities.

It doesn't work at all but sounds cool. Like many of the mechanics.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Everyone will hate you if you are a warmonger no matter what and you are practically guaranteed to have a casus belli against the AI because they denounce you over and over again or a territorial(?) one because you have already taken some of their cities.

It doesn't work at all but sounds cool. Like many of the mechanics.
They denounce you over and over for annoying them, violating their hidden agendas, boredom and because the sky was a bit too blue that morning.

Maybe I'm just too bitter and grumpy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mondian posted:

great zim is ridiculously strong and is worth building in every game. its an extra +10g or whatever per trade route, internal or foreign. so it's basically the "do you want 100 or more gold per turn" wonder

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

boner confessor posted:

great zim is ridiculously strong and is worth building in every game. its an extra +10g or whatever per trade route, internal or foreign. so it's basically the "do you want 100 or more gold per turn" wonder

But it's from that one city with Great Zimbabwe, correct? If you are using trade routes to boost new and un/underdeveloped cities, then I believe you have to sacrifice that +10 gold route for some food and hammers.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Poil posted:

Actually as far as I can tell the Protectorate War actually removes all warmonger penalties and you can use it only if the City-State is still alive. You can't use the Protectorate War CB after the city-state is already captured.

Only exception seems to be capturing cities gets you a warmonger penalty with the city owner but not with anyone else.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

If a city state is declared on by anyone, you can wage a protectorate war. Once the CS is conquered, that's it. You are screwed. Your status with the CS doesn't matter as far as CB is concerned afaik.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So I have like 100 hours in Civ4, and skipped Civ5 entirely, and jumped into Civ6

I thought I was having a decent time with Civ6, but Civ5 is on sale so I thought I'd check out what I'm missing.

Only about 3 hours in, but I'm liking it a lot. Seems like a better single player experience than Civ6, in fact I cant think of anything Civ6 does better. Its kinda nice ignoring districts

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Madcosby posted:

So I have like 100 hours in Civ4, and skipped Civ5 entirely, and jumped into Civ6

I thought I was having a decent time with Civ6, but Civ5 is on sale so I thought I'd check out what I'm missing.

Only about 3 hours in, but I'm liking it a lot. Seems like a better single player experience than Civ6, in fact I cant think of anything Civ6 does better. Its kinda nice ignoring districts

Well there are opinions but builders are much better for 1UPT than workers.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

If a city state is declared on by anyone, you can wage a protectorate war. Once the CS is conquered, that's it. You are screwed. Your status with the CS doesn't matter as far as CB is concerned afaik.

Weird, i didnt have an option to use that casus belli at all the entire time it was under attack. Of course he declared war on me soon after capping it, but still.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Madcosby posted:

Everything you do is to increase your population. You win by prioritising food above all, and making sure you never hit negative happiness. You can't put down a new city unless it has access to new luxuries, and you can't put any new ones down past a certain point in the early-midgame.

I mean, I still like 5, and I think it's probably the better game in its current state, but 6 gives you way more freedom to actually build a big mean empire.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Powercrazy posted:

Doesn't liberating a conquered City State reduce Warmonger points?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Playing a bit of hotseat on Warlord difficulty and I attacked Germany, took 2 of his cities and he never attacked me once. Not with his city, not with his units, even those in the garrison. Known bug? Closing and reopening the game didn't seem to fix.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Madcosby posted:

City states and barbarians and trade routes are more interesting in 6. The split in the tech tree and the technology boosts also mean there's a little more variation from game to game. Civ V is further developed in every other way (for now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

homullus posted:

City states and barbarians and trade routes are more interesting in 6. The split in the tech tree and the technology boosts also mean there's a little more variation from game to game. Civ V is further developed in every other way (for now).

Economic management is also generally more fleshed out in VI. Civ V lacks the interesting and powerful tile yields of IV (along with their feeding into %-based buildings) as well as the district placement puzzle and trade route management of VI (granted the trade route management system needs work). It's a lot of pop scaling which means that the one right answer is to grow nonstop since there are few limits on it other than global happiness and it gets you everything else.