Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Shopping for a new iPhone - is the Apple upgrade program the best route? Don't want to spend the money up front, and she likes shiny new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I heard the prepaid plans got a price cut recently - any possible price cuts on postpaid?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Interlude posted:

Shopping for a new iPhone - is the Apple upgrade program the best route? Don't want to spend the money up front, and she likes shiny new poo poo.

Yes.

Three-Phase posted:

I heard the prepaid plans got a price cut recently - any possible price cuts on postpaid?

No.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
drat!

Well the 4GB plan is cheaper than it used to be... and the safety and PopData hinge and carryover are nice.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Three-Phase posted:

drat!

Well the 4GB plan is cheaper than it used to be... and the safety and PopData hinge and carryover are nice.

So does the carryover data carryover? I have the L (8 GB) plan and usually end up leaving 1 GB on the table each month. Will I have 9 GB next month or 10 GB?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Carryover carries over into your next billing cycle, then expires. You'll also use your primary allotment first, then your carryover. So if you have 8GB, and use 7GB in Oct, you'd end up with 9GB available for November. If you only use 7GB in November, the October carryover expires, and you carry over the unused primary allotment to December, so you'd have 9GB available for use in December.

Haven't hit Safety Mode since it became available, but I'm sticking with our 4GB plan this month, so we may hit it by the end. Normally I flip between 4/8/12GB, depending how much we end up using during a given month. Safety Mode means no more hawk-like watching, since they won't murder me with a $15 charge for going slightly over. I can't see Pop Data being THAT much of a draw, unless I had to download something huge faster than I could over available wifi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pop data is worthwhile if you want to download a movie or two before hopping on a plane (local wifi probably isn't fast enough for that) or if you need to get your PC online to do a bunch of stuff in a short span of time (since tethering is allowed.) It's not a very wide use case, but if you have a need to use a ton of data in a short span of time, it's sure as hell better than paying the per gb amount for data later.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
To the Verizon employees here:
I ordered my wife an iPhone 7+ 256GB in Rose Gold on Oct 27th. It was scheduled to ship on 11/9 and on the day of shipping, I got an email that it's pushed back to 12/5. OK, whatever. My order page on my Verizon account reflected this information. Now as of yesterday, my order no longer has a status when looked at on the computer, and if I look at the order on the phone app, it doesn't exist.

I've chatted with the reps and they don't seem to want to give me any kind of answers. Did my order get cancelled or some poo poo?

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 14, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They jacked up the price again for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. It's almost to the point where I might start to consider switching plans. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fuzz posted:

They jacked up the price again for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. It's almost to the point where I might start to consider switching plans. :smith:

Wait, from what to what?

Also, I hate it too, but $49.99 for 'unlimited' (or ~100GB before a nastygram) is still a good deal. I just wish they'd offer ULD customers a "100GB for $49.99 for Life" plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

To the Verizon employees here:
I ordered my wife an iPhone 7+ 256GB in Rose Gold on Oct 27th. It was scheduled to ship on 11/9 and on the day of shipping, I got an email that it's pushed back to 12/5. OK, whatever. My order page on my Verizon account reflected this information. Now as of yesterday, my order no longer has a status when looked at on the computer, and if I look at the order on the phone app, it doesn't exist.

I've chatted with the reps and they don't seem to want to give me any kind of answers. Did my order get cancelled or some poo poo?

A Corp store employee would at least be able to see if there is a pending order. Not much more then that, but they could see that. Otherwise no idea.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wait, from what to what?

Also, I hate it too, but $49.99 for 'unlimited' (or ~100GB before a nastygram) is still a good deal. I just wish they'd offer ULD customers a "100GB for $49.99 for Life" plan.

Verizon hates "for life" promos.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

A Corp store employee would at least be able to see if there is a pending order. Not much more then that, but they could see that. Otherwise no idea.

Verizon hates "for life" promos.

If I call the phone help, the first thing it says is that the line has a pending order that should ship on December 5th. We will see.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Verizon is finally starting to do holiday promos :

1. iPhone SE is $15 a month now until Nov 23

2. Waived upgrade fees

3. Certain metro areas: New York, Philly, etc, customers can get an individual plan of 7GB for $70. Can't have more than one person, no contracts.

Android phones are still Buy one get one 50% off.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wait, from what to what?

I live in NYC, so just to another carrier entirely since all of them have decent coverage now, or at least Sprint does.

Problem is every time I consider it I happen to travel, you know, literally anywhere else and then I remember, "oh yes, this is why I use Verizon," when I see people struggling on 3G because they have no better service or the reception on their GSM network is spotty or utter poo poo. :shepface:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I have a question that I think I know the answer to: Is there anyway online to see what my ETF will be if I cancel service? I have one of those 4G home routers that I don't need anymore. When I signed up for it, I unknowingly signed into a 2 year contract on it. I have about 176 days left according to Verizon but I don't know if the ETF is $15 per remaining month or what. It's currently sharing the smallest T-shirt plan with my wife's phone so I'm paying $20 a month for something I'm not using.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Crossposting from the Android discussion thread, since other people might be interested in this deal too.

quote:

http://www.androidcentral.com/veriz...ffers-pixel-240

Godfuckingdammit, they might have just sold me on getting a Pixel sooner than I'd planned. $240 for a Pixel or an XL is pretty hard to pass up.

VZW still lets you get a new device on their payment plan without killing your grandfathered unlimited data plan, right?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Holy gently caress, looks like I'm getting a Pixel XL.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Can I keep my unlimited?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Can I keep my unlimited?

On device payment sure.

Edit found a copy of that link. Can't comment on that otherwise yet.

I can't post promos on Friday yet, but the 50% off is very good.

FYI if you are out of contract, worth calling customer service and asking what they can offer on an upgrade, there are a bunch of retention offers loaded in the system. Varies by account as always.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 23, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Try this link

http://m.androidcentral.com/verizons-black-friday-sale-offers-pixel-240

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Wickerman posted:

Holy gently caress, looks like I'm getting a Pixel XL.

I posted in the Android but Droid life stating that's only regular Pixel price not the xl which makes sense

nerox
May 20, 2001
My pixel xl 128 order from October 22 is showing ship date of 12/2, other people who had earlier ship dates are now being told late December. This black friday sale is going to be back ordered to valentine's day.

Unless they are going to guarantee having them in a Verizon store, then I may go camp by the door.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nerox posted:

My pixel xl 128 order from October 22 is showing ship date of 12/2, other people who had earlier ship dates are now being told late December. This black friday sale is going to be back ordered to valentine's day.

Unless they are going to guarantee having them in a Verizon store, then I may go camp by the door.

Pixel 5.0 32GB inventory is pretty solid in store, 128GB and all XLs are pretty backordered.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So what's this $400 off a phone if you switch to Verizon I read about in this article? I can't find it anywhere.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I posted in the Android but Droid life stating that's only regular Pixel price not the xl which makes sense

I dunno, this looks legit. http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-latest-google-pixel-phones-daydream-virtual-reality-headset-and-now-google-home-verizon

I have the day off Friday so maybe it's camping time for me!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'll make a list of Black Friday promos and post tonight.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I'm sure the xl is on sale just not for only $10 or $15

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm sure the xl is on sale just not for only $10 or $15

Ok I misread it, it's just the 32 and 128 Pixel.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
As much as I would enjoy a new phone, I don't think I should get a Pixel over a Pixel XL.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I legit got a Pixel XL through dumb luck on the Google Store but am not even sure I want to try to switch to Android or just stay with iPhone :( It is really, really pretty though and you should get the XL.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I tend to switch between "lol huge phone" and "useable with one hand phone" with each new device. I currently have a 6P, so I'm probably going to go with the Pixel over the XL. I do wish the Pixel was a 5.2" screen though, as I find that to be the perfect middle ground.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I went from a 5.7" MXP to the 5" Pixel and couldn't be happier. I have giant hands too, but I just like the 5" form factor better.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
How do you feel about the battery life as compared to the MXPE?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's much better. Same daily usage on my MXP would leave me at the end of the day around 27%. With the Pixel, it's around 48%.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I guess you should stop by a store or order a Pixel on Friday. Friday only, very good promo. I honestly thought at first it was $10 off the monthly, not $10 a month total. For the record, any of the promos are like he others, over 2 years, so if you leave you owe balance on phone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

Can I keep my unlimited?

Looks like a no. It specifically says you need to sign a new 2 year contract, so it's the same as trading in on one of their "free upgrades" which voids your old plans. They never let you retain your old data plan since Verizon is actively trying to kill off all the old unlimited plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Looks like a no. It specifically says you need to sign a new 2 year contract, so it's the same as trading in on one of their "free upgrades" which voids your old plans. They never let you retain your old data plan since Verizon is actively trying to kill off all the old unlimited plans.

It's not a 2 year contract, it's a 24 month payment plan. I would be pretty sure unlimited is fine for this.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm still trying to figure out these Pixel deals, because it sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Here's how I think it works:

1.) If you don't want a payment plan, the 32GB version of the Pixel and XL is $240 and the 128GB version are $360, but you have to pay $650 upfront and then the difference is credited to you over the next two years on your phone bill.

2.) If you want a payment plan, you can get the 32GB version of the Pixel for $10/mo and the 128GB version of it for $15/mo. You can't get the Pixel XL going this route.

3.) If you're a current Verizon customer and you have an Android smartphone worth at least $400, you can get an additional $100 off either the Pixel or XL.

4.) If you switch to Verizon and you have an Android smartphone worth at least $400, you can get an additional $200 off either the Pixel or XL.

So, here are my questions:

- When exactly are each of these deals running?
- Do you have to buy in-store on Black Friday, or can you order online?
- If you can order online, can you go to the store once it arrives and have them transfer your contacts list from your old phone to the new one? What if you're switching networks and need to keep your old phone number, how does that work?
- If you go with option 1 and just straight-up buy the phone, how can you figure out in advance what the monthly bill would be? Is it basically one of the two plans offered on the smartphone tab of this page? From clicking through, it seems like they also offer $45/mo and $60/mo plans. Is that right, or is this something totally different?

If anyone knows the answers to those questions, it would be an enormous help. I'm freaking out because I was desperately hoping that there would be a deal on Pixel phones this winter, and this is way better than I anticipated, but I'm also in a totally different part of the country due to the holidays and I've never switched carriers before, so I'm trying to figure out how this stuff works.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, from what I've found online, you can keep unlimited with a payment plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

XIII posted:

Yeah, from what I've found online, you can keep unlimited with a payment plan

I can confirm that I'm still on ULD despite having a PXL 128GB coming sometime before the heat death of the universe.

• Locked thread