Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah basically the pre-bank meta will exist for ~2 months so people just want to get into the real deal faster. There's a pretty popular pre-bank ladder too that people use but most are going straight to post-bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zore posted:

That person does not exist.
You know, when the sea people chief takes you go to exeggutor island, I thought that was going to be the dragon-type trial, because he mentioned it "used to be a trial grounds." I thought he was just screwing with us like Lana did in the water trial. "Oh, you didn't know you were about to go through my trial? To bad, girl, fight my giant fish." But no. Oh well.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Countblanc posted:

mega scizor is incredibly scary right now, and beats basically every new mon i like.

Sash Salazzle with Corrosive and Toxic will at least put a clock on it. I have been using it against all the really frustrating guys like Celesteela and That drat Sandcastle.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How hard is breeding at EV training in this game? I tried to get into competitive I think in ORAS but it was kind of, a lot more effort than I wanted to put in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How hard is breeding at EV training in this game? I tried to get into competitive I think in ORAS but it was kind of, a lot more effort than I wanted to put in.

EV training is about as piss easy as ever. EV training has not been remotely an obstacle for 3 or 4 generations now, realistically. Sadly we don't have Reset Bags anymore but meh, no big deal.

Breeding is a big ol' "it depends" but breeding for IVs doesn't really matter anymore since you can manipulate those once a Pokemon hits 100 regardless. So, somewhat easier.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Arrgytehpirate posted:

EV training is pretty easy this gen. Here's an in-depth tutorial for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTg_K4sT9Jg

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Using Mean Look and then calling for help is kind of a hosed up thing to do

The help didn't show up, but it's the principle of the thing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thank you team :3:

MvP spot goes to Snorlax who I got by surprise in Mystery Gift. She never left my team, helping me catching everything with Yawn and Hold Back and generally being a swell Pokémon! Special thanks to Lilligant, Goodra, Cutiefly and my bowtie babby Rowlet who helped me underway.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Someone in my festival plaza has a rare kitchen ***** and I need 1500 coins to get it and holy poo poo gently caress what

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm thinking, Game Freak only has Mega Stones available right now for the Pokemon you can get somewhere in Alola, as well as the gen 1 Starters through a scripted event (also the non-Mega Stone stuff for the gen 3 legendaries). So, it might be that they're actually planning an update for when Bank goes live, where they add in the rest of the Mega Stones. They might even be planning it so they fix various bugs and forgotten items at the same time, which would be a pretty smart plan of action. I'm realizing that Sun and Moon were possibly an actual rush job, with Nintendo insisting it be released during the 20th Anniversary year. This would explain why Pokemon Z never materialized, they just didn't have the time, between ORAS and then this.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, how do I find the Dragon type Captain? I've seen official artwork of him and he looks dope and I wanna see him

apparently you just sit on the champion throne and see who pops up

and goddamn that design is stupid as hell

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dropped my DS and the cart popped out and I lost somewhere around 6 hours of playtime and grinding for eevees and the third trial and mom quite sad :smith:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Pyukumuku is fun as gently caress to use on Battle Spot so far--it's psyching people out like crazy. Either people know what he does and avoid him to an insane degree leaving it easy to predict their moves or they don't know what he does and OHKO him and gently caress themselves

I've been running it next to Togedemaru w/Spiky Shield and Soak on Pyuku so I can turn opponents into water types to Zing Zap with the hedgie

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sockser posted:

Dropped my DS and the cart popped out and I lost somewhere around 6 hours of playtime and grinding for eevees and the third trial and mom quite sad :smith:

Save regularly, my friend

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Sash Salazzle with Corrosive and Toxic will at least put a clock on it. I have been using it against all the really frustrating guys like Celesteela and That drat Sandcastle.

I'm not playing competitively, but Corrosive is one of my favorite new abilities. I've been going out of my way to poison everything.

I even poisoned Guzma's Ariados, and then just spammed Nasty Plot while it tried to sucker punch me until it died :allears:

...maybe I'm the real villain.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

apparently you just sit on the champion throne and see who pops up

and goddamn that design is stupid as hell

Alright!

You're right and it is THE BEST.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain Oblivious posted:

EV training is about as piss easy as ever. EV training has not been remotely an obstacle for 3 or 4 generations now, realistically. Sadly we don't have Reset Bags anymore but meh, no big deal.

Breeding is a big ol' "it depends" but breeding for IVs doesn't really matter anymore since you can manipulate those once a Pokemon hits 100 regardless. So, somewhat easier.

Thanks for the EV guide! That looks much easier than when I tried it. How do you manipulate IVs at 100? I remember asking on smogon back when I was thinking about it last time and the answer was to ask for a ditto of the nature of the mon you wanted with max IVs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After giving up on chaining one with a HA, I went on GTS and grabbed the first gible I could

It has rough skin and outrage. Wrong nature but who the gently caress cares

Thanks random japanese person

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks for the EV guide! That looks much easier than when I tried it. How do you manipulate IVs at 100? I remember asking on smogon back when I was thinking about it last time and the answer was to ask for a ditto of the nature of the mon you wanted with max IVs.

This time you can just go to the Hyper Trainer to give them bottle caps to cause the IV to be flagged as maxed out, which maxes out the stat, but doesn't actually change the IV. This lets you keep your Pokemon's Hidden Power type, if that matters to you. Gold bottle caps do the same thing, but "max out" all the IVs instead.

I don't know where the NPC who handles that kind of stuff is, though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The two grunt girl roommates in Po town. Oh my god.

the defeated pause and hand gesture the one makes when the other says the shirt stinks is amazing. The whole convo is great especially the part where they just start throwing signs at each other silently

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How are people afraid of ghosts if ghosts are tangible, feedable friends you can carry around
And why is rotomdex afraid of them? He's a ghost!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Dr. Fetus posted:

This time you can just go to the Hyper Trainer to give them bottle caps to cause the IV to be flagged as maxed out, which maxes out the stat, but doesn't actually change the IV. This lets you keep your Pokemon's Hidden Power type, if that matters to you. Gold bottle caps do the same thing, but "max out" all the IVs instead.

I don't know where the NPC who handles that kind of stuff is, though.

He's at the shopping mall in Hau'oli City.

e:

Calaveron posted:

How are people afraid of ghosts if ghosts are tangible, feedable friends you can carry around
And why is rotomdex afraid of them? He's a ghost!

Because they literally kill people regularly according to their 'dex entries. Also Rotom most likely acts scared of them as part of a campaign to screw with the player, which I also believe is the reason for the especially dark Pokedex entries this gen.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Been seeing a lot of Zygarde 10% on the ladder even post-Complete. Mostly Choice Band I think. I guess CB Extreme Speed and Thousand Arrows is pretty scary from something that fast and strong.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So EV talk; is there a way to reset it or are the friends you carried with you the entire game just useless for endgame tryharding (since they inevitably have a huge spread of EVs)?

Also, I need some help understanding the stat screen. From the video that was linked, I see that I can press Y and get a visual representation of the EVs but I'm not sure I understand the different colored shapes. On my "oldest" Pokémon like Snorlax there's a large blue shape with a small yellow shape on top, while on newer members of the team there's a smaller dark yellow shape with a relatively tiny yellow shape on top. What does it all mean :iiam:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Your Computer posted:

So EV talk; is there a way to reset it or are the friends you carried with you the entire game just useless for endgame tryharding (since they inevitably have a huge spread of EVs)?

Also, I need some help understanding the stat screen. From the video that was linked, I see that I can press Y and get a visual representation of the EVs but I'm not sure I understand the different colored shapes. On my "oldest" Pokémon like Snorlax there's a large blue shape with a small yellow shape on top, while on newer members of the team there's a smaller dark yellow shape with a relatively tiny yellow shape on top. What does it all mean :iiam:

You can feed them berries that reduce their EV's in a specific stat (and as a bonus increase happiness) . It is what I am using my island berry farm for.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Just beat the Elite 4. Holy gently caress that fight against Kukui was so good. I had 5 pokemon fainted, and my Primarina at 1 HP (Thank you, Pokemon Refresh) at the end.

AND THE MUSIC, HOLY poo poo.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

You can reset stats with certain berries in the game. There's also another way using the festival plaza but using that garbage feature isn't worth the effort.

The yellow shape is the Pokemon's original stats. The blue is the EV stat spread. With proper EV training, that large blue blob would instead be two blue triangles that are pointed to the stats you specifically trained.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

Just beat the Elite 4. Holy gently caress that fight against Kukui was so good. I had 5 pokemon fainted, and my Primarina at 1 HP (Thank you, Pokemon Refresh) at the end.

AND THE MUSIC, HOLY poo poo.

:swoon::hf::swoon:

I'm also legitimately thrilled that petting my Pokémon actually helped me win against the Elite 4.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The triangles (Or blob if it's evenly distributed) will be orange if your Pokemon doesn't run into the EV cap, 510. If a Pokemon has their EVs capped out, they'll turn blue. A maxed out stat (252 EVs in it) will have the stat sparkle when the EVs are checked.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Waffles Inc. posted:

Pyukumuku is fun as gently caress to use on Battle Spot so far--it's psyching people out like crazy. Either people know what he does and avoid him to an insane degree leaving it easy to predict their moves or they don't know what he does and OHKO him and gently caress themselves

I've been running it next to Togedemaru w/Spiky Shield and Soak on Pyuku so I can turn opponents into water types to Zing Zap with the hedgie

Minior is another one, the people that know about Shell Smash, Power Herb, Shields Down, Acrobatics shenanigans go crazy trying to kill it, the ones who don't know about it get a nasty shock.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

The triangles (Or blob if it's evenly distributed) will be orange if your Pokemon doesn't run into the EV cap, 510. If a Pokemon has their EVs capped out, they'll turn blue. A maxed out stat (252 EVs in it) will have the stat sparkle when the EVs are checked.

Thanks! (Also thanks to everyone else who answered) That explains the colors and why my newer members aren't blue (since I've used them less) :3:

I checked and the only one on my team with a sparkly stat is Salazzle... with Attack.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Postgame spoilers:
Fighting Tapu Koko with a Lightningrod Marowak is hilarious. :allears: It can't do anything besides Nature's Madness to me, and I'm pretty sure that just halves your HP, and can't kill you.
e:

Your Computer posted:

:swoon::hf::swoon:

I'm also legitimately thrilled that petting my Pokémon actually helped me win against the Elite 4.
:yeah:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The more I look at Aloan Muk, the more strongly I consider it as a special wall, it seems like it would do a fantastic job thanks to its typing.

Though could anyone clarify how the heck power of alchemy works? Is it only useful in doubles or does it do something in singles fights as well?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

The more I look at Aloan Muk, the more strongly I consider it as a special wall, it seems like it would do a fantastic job thanks to its typing.

Though could anyone clarify how the heck power of alchemy works? Is it only useful in doubles or does it do something in singles fights as well?

It's a doubles only ability. It does nothing in singles. Stick with Poison Touch for that format.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

For the love of God how do you get to the lower level with the water in vast Poni canyon? I can't find an entrance anywhere and the online guides aren't goddamn helping at all.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Farg posted:

what are the Coolest pokemon to make my team out of in the main game. I have a rowlett and a litwick and a magnemite so far

how'd you get a Litwick?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This game lets you climb into peoples' beds and comment on the smell, feel, just you know whatever. I'm in the big bad boss base and I climbed into their bed and I'm like "pretty good".

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

AAAAHH This is my favorite game in the series. It's so good. SO GOOD.
Slight spoilers, but I hope if Lillie shows up in later games she fights you as a full fledged trainer with a kanto starter.
Also the credits are adorable and I love them. Especially Gladion & Silvally.
e:oh no there's a picture of Lillie nuzzling Solgaleo and it's adorable

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

This game lets you climb into peoples' beds and comment on the smell, feel, just you know whatever. I'm in the big bad boss base and I climbed into their bed and I'm like "pretty good".

I know it's an RPG staple to go into people's houses and check their drawers, take their items and so on.. but this is one hilarious step further and I love it :allears:

Blaziken386 posted:

AAAAHH This is my favorite game in the series. It's so good. SO GOOD.
Slight spoilers, but I hope if Lillie shows up in later games she fights you as a full fledged trainer with a kanto starter.
Also the credits are adorable and I love them. Especially Gladion & Silvally.

I'm glad I'm not the only one freaking out right now. IT'S SO GOOD. I haven't been this into Pokémon since Gen 2, and it took me completely by surprise. I can't wait to get started on the post-game quest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Make the next game star Hau and Gladion on a road trip.