Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Can we not have the "Where were you on 9/11" derail? We've had this like once a month it feels like.

So where were you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

Can we not have the "Where were you on 9/11" derail? We've had this like once a month it feels like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHnadJ-0hE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So where were you?

Celebrating with all my fellow Muslims outside Trump Tower.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

yoctoontologist posted:

The 9/11 attackers basically found a loophole in the American security state, which has since been closed (with reinforced cockpit doors). If there is another way for a small number of people to do that much damage with readily available materials, no one has found it yet.

Eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.
Our security is still rather easy to bypass. It's just that now it requires basic competence instead of no competence. It's a rather involved situation that is hard to balance the need to point out flaws vs leaving out key details for security researchers.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

There was no vote tampering on election day. Hillary simply lost by razor thin margins. Maybe the recount will go through, but it won't turn over one of the states, let alone three. Don't embrace this small ray of hope because it will be ripped viciously away from you

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chomskyan posted:

There was no vote tampering on election day. Hillary simply lost by razor thin margins. Maybe the recount will go through, but it won't turn over one of the states, let alone three. Don't embrace this small ray of hope because it will be ripped viciously away from you

i'm only in it for the comedy potential

if it actually did flip the election the level of yukks wouldn't be quantifiable

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Mantis42 posted:

If people were better at remembering 9/11 this wouldn't happen.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I remember how I looked on in horror as Hulk Hogan turned his attention to the second tower...

Also this recount won't result in Hilldogg getting in but could be useful as the "EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS" coming from the right. Keep the possibility of Russian meddling in the news forever. Have people doubt the legitimacy of the right for reasons they don't really understand but they've just heard something about Russians over and over again. Use their poison against them.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 24, 2016

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

fishmech posted:

Well the thing to remember is the successful attacks hit in two different cities at roughly the same time, and if flight 93 hadn't been taken down over PA a third would have been hit (NYC, Arlington, and 93 was probably going to hit DC). No single city single target attack can match that.

And remember, the attackers only hit vulnerable infrastructure by accident. Let's say instead of hitting the WTC, they'd crashed one into the George Washington Bridge and one into one of the East River bridges, maybe the Queensboro Bridge. They'd probably have killed and injured many more people, and they'd absolutely cripple local traffic and even traffic for hundreds of miles in every direction by severing those connections during heavy morning drive time. Or for a real area disrupting cluster gently caress, they could have hit the main Oakland - San Francisco Bay Bridge which would result in massive detours at best, aside from all the immediate death.

But of course it's more headline grabbing to smash into a tall or otherwise large building, so that's what they did.

Yeah that's more or less why I wonder if they even care about dealing a blow to infrastructure. It's almost a virtual certainty that nobody is ever going to be flying a plane into anything ever again, but there are plenty of other options available to attack infrastructure.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think a major attack on the infrastructure, some kinda cyber that took down the grid for a big part of the US for a week+, would have a serious detrimental effect on the US for decades afterwards. that sort of thing would convince a lot of people that the country, and society in general, are not reliable or sustainable. 9/11 convinced people that America could be attacked. A major attack on the infrastructure could convince people that America can not survive attacks.

Fair point.

yoctoontologist posted:

The 9/11 attackers basically found a loophole in the American security state, which has since been closed (with reinforced cockpit doors). If there is another way for a small number of people to do that much damage with readily available materials, no one has found it yet.

Eh, I dunno. As I mentioned above, there are plenty of ways other than flying planes into things to gently caress poo poo up. I used to work for a natural gas pipeline company and now I work in the power distribution industry and both have critical facilities that aren't really all that secure. A lot of them could easily be crippled with explosives made from household chemicals (or in some cases in the power distribution industry, with just a few keystrokes by someone with a moderate level of industry-specific knowledge).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Confounding Factor posted:

Listening to MSNBC right now on the Secretary of Education pick, holy poo poo she is going to be a nightmare. Charter schools are evil, you could have made a mint in that business.

One of the nice side-effects of this Trump pick for Secretary of Education is that it will make Democrats hate charter schools of the first time in decades.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
A friend of mine suggested that should a recount in MI, WI, and PA show conclusive proof that the Russian government tampered with voting machines, that it could be considered an act of war.

Even if that were proven true, what in the hell would we actually do diplomatically?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

paperwind posted:

A friend of mine suggested that should a recount in MI, WI, and PA show conclusive proof that the Russian government tampered with voting machines, that it could be considered an act of war.

Even if that were proven true, what in the hell would we actually do diplomatically?

In the very unlikely event that the recount finds anything: Sanctions.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

One of the nice side-effects of this Trump pick for Secretary of Education is that it will make Democrats hate charter schools of the first time in decades.

:laffo:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I was in my junior year & one of my best friends from Dallas was visiting. We'd woken up early since I was going to have to take him to the airport in Baton Rouge that day to fly back.

We both just sat on my sofa watching the live coverage, mouths agape. He ended up taking a bus back to Dallas, paid for by Delta Airlines, his employer at the time.

Oh yeah, I was in Baton Rouge at LSU at the time. Everyone went out and bought gas.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Hollismason posted:

Oh yeah, I was in Baton Rouge at LSU at the time. Everyone went out and bought gas.

This is the most South Louisiana response to a crisis.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

duz posted:

Eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.
Our security is still rather easy to bypass. It's just that now it requires basic competence instead of no competence. It's a rather involved situation that is hard to balance the need to point out flaws vs leaving out key details for security researchers.

It seems like a new 9/11 would be even easier, actually, if you had some hijackers that knew how to take off, since the pilots still chill with the door open while everyone's boarding. Once those reinforced doors close it's not like anyone can Todd Beamer it. Unless there are failsafes that would prevent taking off that I'm unaware of.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So after that recount hits the $2.5 million goal, are they going to update the tracker to account for this?

Green Party Recount page posted:

Here are the filing fees and deadlines for each state:

Wisconsin: $1.1 million by Nov 25
Pennsylvania: $0.5 million by Nov 28
Michigan: $0.6 million by Nov 30

Those are filing fees alone. The costs associated with recounts are a function of state law. Attorney's fees are likely to be another $2-3 million, then there are the costs of the statewide recount observers in all three states. The total cost is likely to be $6-7 million.

Also, is that $6-7 million actually reasonable? Given some of the things you guys have been posting, that seems fairly low.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weird BIAS posted:

So in 10 hours the green party has raised over $2,000,000 for the recount.

for context, she only raised $3.5m for the election itself

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

DrNutt posted:

It seems like a new 9/11 would be even easier, actually, if you had some hijackers that knew how to take off, since the pilots still chill with the door open while everyone's boarding. Once those reinforced doors close it's not like anyone can Todd Beamer it. Unless there are failsafes that would prevent taking off that I'm unaware of.

The failsafe is that the national guard has more time to shoot down a plane that gets hijacked on the runway. Communication can be legitimately lost mid-flight. It's much more rare for it to happen on the ground.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll still despise Jill Stein for enabling antivaxxers don't you worry.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

Can I live in your world where the Democrats presumably actually fight the right over things?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mustached Demon posted:

I'll still despise Jill Stein for enabling antivaxxers don't you worry.

Speaking of enabling antivaxxers...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Can I live in your world where the Democrats presumably actually fight the right over things?

They are too busy fighting themselves, much like every protest since Iraq they can't coalesce around a strong or simple set of messages

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The recount won't prevent Trump from being president but anything that hurts his legitimacy in the public eye is a plus for me

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

We had to elect Trump to get the Dem to stop being terrible. Time will tell if it was worth it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I mean a Jill Stein recount is still better than no recount.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sir Tonk posted:

We had to elect Trump to get the Dem to stop being terrible. Time will tell if it was worth it.

When do they stop being terrible exactly?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah democrats don't even get excited about their own ideas. They should have owned Obamacare and talked it up instead of distancing themselves from it. They might have changed the narrative if they got a little excited. Regardless of its problems getting millions of people health care is a good thing, why wouldn't you cheer it on? This election has proved that people are dumb and will believe what you say if you say it the right way.

Come on you fucks! Get me fired up about something god damnit!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

King of Solomon posted:

So after that recount hits the $2.5 million goal, are they going to update the tracker to account for this?

Also, is that $6-7 million actually reasonable? Given some of the things you guys have been posting, that seems fairly low.

If they get the ball rolling it'll probably be easier to get people to donate if they need more. Either that or the Clinton campaign might actually get involved, although I doubt it. They *might* promise to pay the Greens back if it works out, but that also seems unlikely.

greatn posted:

When do they stop being terrible exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bro-WwwroEA

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pretty funny that we went from "Donald Trump is threatening democracy itself by refusing to say he'd accept the results of the election" to "the Russians hacked the scantron machines in Wisconsin that aren't network connected".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

I mean a Jill Stein recount is still better than no recount.

A Jill Stein recount is actually the best recount because if things go south in terms of public opinion it can't be pinned on the Democrats

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Pretty funny that we went from "Donald Trump is threatening democracy itself by refusing to say he'd accept the results of the election" to "the Russians hacked the scantron machines in Wisconsin that aren't network connected".

They'd just have to hack the network connected sos computer where they're entering the results.(I don't think this happened, but it is possible)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

HorseRenoir posted:

A Jill Stein recount is actually the best recount because if things go south in terms of public opinion it can't be pinned on the Democrats

you know, you KNOW the Republicans will blame the Democrats.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

greatn posted:

They'd just have to hack the network connected sos computer where they're entering the results.(I don't think this happened, but it is possible)

This assumes that no county level officials in three separate states looked at the Secretary of State's report and said, "Hey, that wasn't what I reported."

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Joementum posted:

Yeah I don't even wanna start down that path because I refuse to be "that dude". Trump is my president now no matter how sick that makes me. Starting this gives too much credit to the "both sides are the same" argument.

Although everyone should keep talking about what we actually do know until people can't forget it. The Russians definitely hacked one specific party and flooded the media with embarrassing emails. How this is not alarming to everyone blows my mind. The media and US government should be shouting about this every day and upping the sanctions already. Nothing will be done though, because it worked. Not to say by any means that it was the single factor in Trumps win, but it didn't loving hurt.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Stallion Cabana posted:

you know, you KNOW the Republicans will blame the Democrats.

doesn't matter, Clinton can keep silent and just let Jill Stein do the dirty work on this one. It's not like Jill would ever give up an opportunity to make everything about her anyways

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Harton posted:

The Russians definitely hacked one specific party and flooded the media with embarrassing emails. How this is not alarming to everyone blows my mind.

Someone phished Podesta and sold that information on. It's not alarming at all.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harton posted:

Yeah I don't even wanna start down that path because I refuse to be "that dude". Trump is my president now no matter how sick that makes me. Starting this gives too much credit to the "both sides are the same" argument.

Although everyone should keep talking about what we actually do know until people can't forget it. The Russians definitely hacked one specific party and flooded the media with embarrassing emails. How this is not alarming to everyone blows my mind. The media and US government should be shouting about this every day and upping the sanctions already. Nothing will be done though, because it worked. Not to say by any means that it was the single factor in Trumps win, but it didn't loving hurt.

It reminds me of 2000. It doesn't matter that Gore should have won, Bush won even if unfairly and against the will of the people. Same with Trump.

Even if there was sworn confessions, video evidence and a clear chain of custody, do you think Republican officials in those states will actually stop Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

Someone phished Podesta and sold that information on. It's not alarming at all.

Podesta was not the only hack and even the IC publicity stated it was Russia. I agree the jump to "they also hacked the voting machines" is a huge leap. But we shouldn't underplay the scale of hacks.

• Locked thread