Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

eddiewalker posted:

There's a new replacement program for 6S phones doing that thing where they shutdown while the battery still shows 40+%

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

I know I saw someone complaining about it here very recently. Go get your free battery. Edit: oh hey, you. Top of this page.

Yay, this issue has been bugging me since a few months into owning my 6s. Just support chatted with Apple and my phone is eligible. Made an appointment for the 30th and hopefully that's the end of it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Glazier posted:

I have had personally, and supported professionally, every iPhone since the first one and I have never found a way to activate the phone without a SIM in it.

I believe you can via jailbreaking, although that obviously doesn't help the OP.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dali Parton posted:

Is it really that bad though?

Yeah, it's real bad. It's kind of exactly like windows laptops around 2010, tons of lovely bloatware that you can't really get rid of, terrible battery life, inexplicably bad performance for the hardware, constant threats of malware and viruses, and a bizarre lack of quality apps for basic phone poo poo compared to iOS (like, play an audiobook lol why'd you want to do that?). Backing up and restoring is also a total nightmare.

Edit: And I want it to be good so bad, I'm totally platform agnostic otherwise but Android is shockingly bad even when I try acclaimed phones like the one pluses and nexuses. I haven't seen a pixel in the wild yet, though. Most people are using some Samsung piece of poo poo or a brand I've never heard of like Blu.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 24, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone have an opinion on the new Google Play Music vs Spotify?

I currently pay for 6 people to use Spotify because why not, but Google Play Music lets you do the same thing AND it has Youtube Red for everyone on the plan, which is amazing. I really like Youtube Red because supporting content creators is good.

I've been using it for a couple of days now and it seems really cool. One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to set the audio quality (if you can at all). Does Google Play Music have the same general catalog as Spotify?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Has anyone had their phone repaired through the battery replacement program?

Do you really have to erase your phone? That seems like such a pain. I'm mostly worried about migrating my google Authenticator codes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ethereal posted:

Has anyone had their phone repaired through the battery replacement program?

Do you really have to erase your phone? That seems like such a pain. I'm mostly worried about migrating my google Authenticator codes.

They say you should have a backup. Just backup to iTunes, that's a complete image of your phone. Your codes will stay. Erase, do whatev the gently caress you want, restore from backup. Also maybe you should put those codes in a password manager like 1Password so you don't have to worry about losing them.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Eligible iPhone 6s serial numbers will have these characters in the 4th and 5th position: Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 QC QD QF QG QH

I've got a q9 but it's a 6s plus. I don't really notice a battery issue. Does it not affect the plus?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose the weird as gently caress feel of my iPhone, when it is charging, is due to the aluminium shell?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

Yeah, it's real bad. It's kind of exactly like windows laptops around 2010, tons of lovely bloatware that you can't really get rid of, terrible battery life, inexplicably bad performance for the hardware, constant threats of malware and viruses, and a bizarre lack of quality apps for basic phone poo poo compared to iOS (like, play an audiobook lol why'd you want to do that?). Backing up and restoring is also a total nightmare.

Yeah I'm trying to do this before I give the phone back in case I ever need it again but I haven't found a proper way to just .... back up the whole phone.

Basically android bad
iOS not as bad

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I'm trying to do this before I give the phone back in case I ever need it again but I haven't found a proper way to just .... back up the whole phone.

Basically android bad
iOS not as bad

There is literally no actual way to back up an android phone or even do a 100% transfer, it's all hopes and dreams on penny whistles and gumdrops.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The dudes in the repair shop said I should have my phone back late this week or early next and it is insane how awful it is not having a proper phone. Even just for taking pictures and listening to music.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Helith posted:

As for the ringtone not sure what's going on there, maybe double check in the settings app that it is definitely set as the ringtone for phone calls and not for texts or something else.

Yup, it's definitely set as the standard ringtone.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Went to the Apple Store for the 3rd time now about my "unexpected shut downs" for my 6S. The first two times they told me it was a software issue and told me to gently caress off but since it magically became a hardware issue last weekend, I figured this time there would be no problem getting a new battery. Welp, they were OUT OF BATTERIES at the store. Do they offer me a replacement to make me happy and get me out of there, especially considering I've brought my phone in multiple times for this issue? Of course not. Supposedly they're going to call me when new batteries come in and I get to come back for the fourth time.

Thanks Apple.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
They probably would have replaced it for you as a courtesy if you were nice enough.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Biodome posted:

They probably would have replaced it for you as a courtesy if you were nice enough.

Worked for me before the issue became official, guess I'm just a good person.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Yup, it's definitely set as the standard ringtone.

Never mind, apparently she and my wife messed around with it yesterday and now the ringtone is working correctly. I dunno.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Taima posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the new Google Play Music vs Spotify?

I currently pay for 6 people to use Spotify because why not, but Google Play Music lets you do the same thing AND it has Youtube Red for everyone on the plan, which is amazing. I really like Youtube Red because supporting content creators is good.

I've been using it for a couple of days now and it seems really cool. One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to set the audio quality (if you can at all). Does Google Play Music have the same general catalog as Spotify?
Personally I strongly dislike Google music, even though I got it free for three months somehow from Runtastic. It especially blows IMO if you want to play/upload music on a Mac.

The only setting I can find for quality is for when you're using mobile data.

Not sure about library comparisons, but in my fairly limited use Google seems to really, really like to only offer non-explicit versions of songs, and I haven't found an option to change that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dutchbstrd posted:

Went to the Apple Store for the 3rd time now about my "unexpected shut downs" for my 6S. The first two times they told me it was a software issue and told me to gently caress off but since it magically became a hardware issue last weekend, I figured this time there would be no problem getting a new battery. Welp, they were OUT OF BATTERIES at the store. Do they offer me a replacement to make me happy and get me out of there, especially considering I've brought my phone in multiple times for this issue? Of course not. Supposedly they're going to call me when new batteries come in and I get to come back for the fourth time.

Thanks Apple.

Should have asked to talk to a manager, the Genius only has so much discretion in situations like this and can't tell you to ask for a manager. Especially if they look up your previous appointments and confirm you've been in that many times for the same issue. Managers can over ride drat near anything if you're a squeaky enough wheel without being belligerent.

Source: former genius

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
So I have paid zero attention to the Apple Watch since its announcement. I thought about getting my gf one this holiday since she likes watches and gadgets, but she doesn't have an iPhone. Will it be a complete waste without a nearby iPhone?

She has a MacBook and an iPad but they aren't always with her, if that matters.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

spongeworthy posted:

So I have paid zero attention to the Apple Watch since its announcement. I thought about getting my gf one this holiday since she likes watches and gadgets, but she doesn't have an iPhone. Will it be a complete waste without a nearby iPhone?

She has a MacBook and an iPad but they aren't always with her, if that matters.

It is an iPhone extension and useless without one.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It is an iPhone extension and useless without one.

Thanks, figured as much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there an iMessage app that lets me search JUST for still images? All the ones I've store so far have just linked to gifs. Nobody's hacked together a google image search add on I take It?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

tuyop posted:

Yeah, it's real bad. It's kind of exactly like windows laptops around 2010, tons of lovely bloatware that you can't really get rid of, terrible battery life, inexplicably bad performance for the hardware, constant threats of malware and viruses, and a bizarre lack of quality apps for basic phone poo poo compared to iOS (like, play an audiobook lol why'd you want to do that?).

The security situation on Android, as recently as 6.0.1, is also so completely laughable IMHO that I wound up not trusting *ANY* credit info I put on my old S4 and S5. Never got any softs anywhere else but the Google Play store and *still* wound up with my cards being charged for first class tickets from Luxembourg to Tokyo. When I created a disposable CC as some cards will allow you, and only used it on the Android, they inevitably got hacked within 6 months.

Switched to an iPhone 6S (was stolen) and 7 recently, have several cards in Apple Pay/Wallet, not one bad charge ever since, even on a card on the stolen 6S. Of course someone will likely break into some 3rd party vendor database somewhere and make me look stupid again, but knock wood.

quote:

Backing up and restoring is also a total nightmare.

Kinda ridiculous that there's no encrypted system level total image, simple loving one-click backup like you get in iTunes, all I could ever find were shady fly-by-night backup utilities that all look the same from software companies I'd never heard of, or Google's built-in backup that I never could figure out totally. Apple was genius enough to create an Android app called "Move to iOS" that did a better job of moving all my data to an iPhone than any Android native backup app I could find.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would just like to post about trials of the spare android phone I'm using until my iPhone returns so you guys get a laugh.

It's an LG G4 running android 5.0.1.

It has a "feature" where the phone will alert you that the battery is full and it tells you to plug it out to save energy.
This comes in the form of a very loud notification noise if the phone is on a normal setting or an EXTREMELY loud vibration if it's set to vibrate.

What happens if you set it to Silent, androids version of do not disturb? Absolutely nothing!
This has resulted in the phone waking me up at 2am to tell me to plug it out.

There is no way of turning this off without either rooting the phone or Installing an app called tasker and running a bizarre sort of workaround.

So I decided I'd leave it plugged out so it wouldn't wake me up! I woke up the next morning to find the phone was dead and I'd nearly missed an important alarm.

Android also has a system where you can hide the "sensitive" content of a notification on the lock screen. It asks you this in a pop up. Should you accidentally click yes and want to turn lock screen notification information back on, where would you look for this?
Display? Notifications? No, it's found in a submenu of the Sounds settings of course!

:suicide:

This week on android has convinced me to never ever use it again. No matter how bad some of the stuff on iOS is, it is infinitely better than the alternative.

Please pray to Stebe that my iPhone is returned soon :v:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Prayin 4 u :ohdear:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Stay safe android ghost

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is "plug it out" a new way to say unplug something that the hip kids are saying these days or something?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Plug. it. out.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Are there any downsides to using my email to connect to iMessage instead of just my phone number? I still use my iPhone 4 to listen to music or stream video while my 6+ is charging, but sometimes I miss messages because I forget that it's charging and ignore it. It'd be nice to get messages back on my 4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

None at all, if the accounts are linked you should get them on all devices.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If you use your email, you can get them anywhere you can get iMessages and you can even push normal texts to it too.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Alright, I'll go ahead and do that then. Thanks guys! No more missing texts while I poop.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What ended up being the *proper* solution to getting those spam calendar invites removed? I got a bunch more today.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

What ended up being the *proper* solution to getting those spam calendar invites removed? I got a bunch more today.

Go to icloud.com on a desktop browser, go to Calendar, click the cogwheel in the bottom left, go to Advanced, and change calendar invites to email. To remove existing ones, just toggle Calendar on and off in Settings > iCloud.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

enojy posted:

Go to icloud.com on a desktop browser, go to Calendar, click the cogwheel in the bottom left, go to Advanced, and change calendar invites to email. To remove existing ones, just toggle Calendar on and off in Settings > iCloud.

Thanks for this. Got *two* calendar spams today.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way you can disable the carrier on the status bar at the top of the phone?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Why would you want to do that?

Aside from autism.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is a silly thing to fret about, but on the other hand it's completely useless information to put up there.

I guess roamers might care?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's not possible to change without at least a jailbreak because of ~*~branding~*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I wish there was a way, Public Mobile takes up like 20% of the space on a 5S and causes all sorts of weird padding issues with loading spinners and stuff.