Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

RBX posted:

Ok I'm not being funny or anything but why can't people just play the game? Why does the rating matter so much?

It's less rating for me and more that there aren't that many people on the AU servers right now. I have played with and against the same handful of people most nights. Hopefully F2P will improve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I definitely saw someone from these forums in the battlerekt 3s tournament.

I want a trip report.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 19, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Khorne posted:

I definitely saw someone from these forums in the battlerekt 3s tournament.

I want a trip report.

Trip report: Sat around for ~25 minutes waiting for our first opponents to show up before they got dq'd. Breezed through round two. They made us wait like an hour and fifteen after hitting quarters because they apparently advertised their stream starting at a certain time in PST. This caused some decent amount of salt from the players, and by the time they started at 11:10pm I was falling asleep in my chair. We got kinda stomped. My team had decided to take the hour off, which was a mistake in retrospect because we were all basically playing first game of the day again vs a fresh team. To their credit, they played a lot better as a team. Which makes sense, given that they have something like ~100 games together compared to my teams 5ish. I still thought it was ours to lose, but such is life.

Tourneys are fun and everyone should try one and come out to support if you can't! Gotta get those ~scene~ numbers up 'n all that.

e: vvvv I'm not sure we've had a game knowledgeable caster yet, which usually makes them hard to listen to.

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2016

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Stunlock needs to advertise that poo poo. Any time there's a tourny, ESL or community-ran or whatever, there needs to be a HEY GUYS THERE'S A TOURNEY COMING UP with a link in the main menu. Whenever a tourny is going on there should be a big WATCH THE STREAM HERE link.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man those commentators were really obnoxious. Basically anytime any random thing happened they freaked out, they had it turned up to 11 the whole time. I remember there was a part where it was 3v1 and not even a particularly close one, and whenever either team did damage they went ham before the obvious finish happened. Hopefully they get some more relaxed personalities soon.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Man those commentators were really obnoxious. Basically anytime any random thing happened they freaked out, they had it turned up to 11 the whole time. I remember there was a part where it was 3v1 and not even a particularly close one, and whenever either team did damage they went ham before the obvious finish happened. Hopefully they get some more relaxed personalities soon.

The game hasn't had enough time to develop jaded vets to co-cast.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I just bought this game on Steam sale, and the same god damned thing that happened in their first failure of a game. No idea who the gently caress you are fighting. Pictures don't mean poo poo. Hovering over said picture doesn't do poo poo. You have no idea what character just killed you, so it's loving obnoxious to try and look the poo poo up to find out the toolkit of the hero.

It also doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any matchmaking in this game at all.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 23, 2016

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If you look at the hero models you will be able to tell who it is. Hope this helps in the future

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

strong bird posted:

If you look at the hero models you will be able to tell who it is. Hope this helps in the future

What if you are blind?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Zotix posted:

So I just bought this game on Steam sale, and the same god damned thing that happened in their first failure of a game. No idea who the gently caress you are fighting. Pictures don't mean poo poo. Hovering over said picture doesn't do poo poo. You have no idea what character just killed you, so it's loving obnoxious to try and look the poo poo up to find out the toolkit of the hero.

It also doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any matchmaking in this game at all.

Not saying there isn't stuff to hate about this game but what are you actually talking about? Is your monitor turned on? Are your eyes open? Are you sitting in the chair facing your monitor? The pictures are literally of the characters you're playing against. You can also tell what's killing you by looking at your screen with your open eyes and seeing who's killing you. Take 5 minutes to go into the training match to hit dummies and learn a character's move. All of the abilities have descriptions. You can even change heroes on the fly in that mode so you don't have to constantly hop out and load in a new one.

Do you have a learning disability? Of all the things to complain about these are objectively the dumbest.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

What if you are blind?

Bad decision

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Public Service Announcement: stop ulting after you get the orb from your teammate.

They're expecting you to have it, and I cannot count how many times my teammate will uselessly ult only for the opponent(s) to dash away mostly unscathed or just CC them outright. This sucks because now you're down 100 energy and your options are limited at a point in the match where you need as many as possible. Wait a while, bait out their own escapes (I've noticed bad players will burn everything to catch you), and then ult. Or just, you know, not ult and use your other energy skills.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Public Service Announcement: stop ulting after you get the orb from your teammate.

They're expecting you to have it, and I cannot count how many times my teammate will uselessly ult only for the opponent(s) to dash away mostly unscathed or just CC them outright. This sucks because now you're down 100 energy and your options are limited at a point in the match where you need as many as possible. Wait a while, bait out their own escapes (I've noticed bad players will burn everything to catch you), and then ult. Or just, you know, not ult and use your other energy skills.

This extends to nearly everything. Being thirsty to do your cool rear end burst is the #1 way to lose a game. Build up pressure, slowly maneuver them into a corner with no defensive cds, then slaughter them. The team that's more shook is gonna lose the round 9 times outta 10.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kevin Bacon posted:

What if you are blind?

Open your eyes. Duh.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Free Weekend coming up for those who were on the fence about the $20 price tag: http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/261602305761800952

Note that the game will be Free To Play in a month or two, so you can hold out for that if you like but not *love* the game. Definitely give it a shot, it's a ton of fun and there's nothing else like it on the market now.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Anyone want to play standard or ranked? I'm mid g9 (haven't played a ton lately but now i'm playing more, and I didn't know ranked had placement matches when I bought the game a month ago). IGN Alarik

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Have a hype tourney vod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVOC-BN1HUU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

i watched that vid last night, it's super sick though i cant help but feel a lot of those rounds were lost off mistakes rather than god plays.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Countblanc posted:

i watched that vid last night, it's super sick though i cant help but feel a lot of those rounds were lost off mistakes rather than god plays.

That's most of high level play, especially in 3s. Either you force your opponent to make a mistake and burst them for a yeuge chunk of true hp, or win the neutral game.

Patch notes for today sans numbers: http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/261602939040145982

Also chests!
http://stunlockstudios.nouncy.com/battlerite-freeweekend#/

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I tried out Freya for the first time last night, and drat she's so fun.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

In it for free weekend. Tell me how to suck less.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

Hit your poo poo, dodge their poo poo.

Don't hit counters, do get the middle orb when it comes up -- it gives each member of your team +25 health/energy. Don't blow your defensive cooldowns without a drat good reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ignite Memories posted:

it's easier to hit poo poo when you're close up. this sounds obvious but it's sorta unintuitive since your first instinct as someone playing range is to stay far away. obviously this is ideal against melee characters but if you notice an enemy ranged character doesn't have defensive options available or is tied up with someone else (either that they're focusing or trying to get away from) you can improve your chances of landing some damage by walking closer.

obviously this is a double-edged sword since you're giving them the same advantage, but if you stay aware of the battlefield and who has what abilities available it's a pretty useful thing to keep in mind.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The free weekend has pretty well sold me on this even though I am the opposite of a tryhard. Having played a lot of Rocket League in 2v2, which isn't the "cool kids" player count, I'm curious if 2v2 and 3v3 in this have the same dynamic, or if they're both equally valid.

Basically I like 2v2 because when I feel good enough to try ranked I can solo queue and not be at a giant disadvantage. So if 2v2 is a super gimped version of the game that would be good to know.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Nah, most people play 2v2s in ranked at the moment. They do, however, end up playing a lot differently.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

2v2 is the popular meta choice right now. The playstyle of 3v3 is completely different and in most cases your battlerite picks will be different too. I think once the game opens up F2P then the meta will shift a bit more, but right now if you want a short queue time then you pick 2s.

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 5, 2016

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Ended up purchasing after free weekend as well.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/261603576429049184

Lots of salt in the comments for those waiting for F2P. It doesn't surprise me that they want to push it out to implement a better ranking system, but waiting almost a whole year might not be the best decision. Hopefully they have a stellar PR team and an advertising campaign in the works.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Late 2017 is definitely a pretty rough look. Fortunately everyone I know who is even remotely interested owns the game already, but it isn't doing any favors for general game population.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Bold move. It's exciting that the game has done well enough for them to be able to do this, I just hope the playerbase doesn't dry up over the course of the next year.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They're basically Bloodline Champions-ing it. Game is gonna be limping along a year from now if that's how long they're actually planning on waiting. I don't know if they expect to suddenly get a huge influx of players because they officially took the Beta label off a year later, but that's a booold assumption.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
You only get to release f2p once so makes sense they want it to be amazing. I paid 15bux so i don't care.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Draynar posted:

You only get to release f2p once so makes sense they want it to be amazing. I paid 15bux so i don't care.

While that's true, they also had free to play weekends and stuff already, right? If you're worried about bad first impressions, people already had their taste. If they think this is a "bad" product, they're already soured to it.

Also it's kind of backwards that the game is good enough to charge money for but not good enough to let people play for free. I think (but hope I am wrong) that they are assuming there will just be a massive flood of people because hey it's free now, but are dramatically overestimating the response. There are tons of F2P games on the market already. They got a lot of their initial exposure from the Steam release. Will they really pick up that many people when it says NOW FREE? I dunno, but I doubt it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Yeah I think it's a bad idea

Population is already kinda meh and people are waiting for the F2P to bring the game to life

Saying the game is going to take a year to get that population is insane

Who's still going to be playing a year from now?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I'm not knowledgable about the biz, but I can see why they'd need that time to scale up the dev team, if nothing else. With the current speed and scale of patches + their communication, I could see this not doing to hot if released Q1. I suppose it remains to be seen how much of a f2p bump would occur later, but we can definitely expect to see more lull times like there was leading up to the f2p weekend.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Has a game ever successfully pulled this off? That is, released as an open beta, limped along for a year, ignored all possible hype and tourneys etc. and then finally when there's like 200 players left had a successful 'launch'?

It just seems to me like people in late 2017 won't think 'oh cool what's this new and exciting game?', they'll think 'oh it's that old dead game'. It doesn't really matter whether it has an early access label.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Wasn't HOTS in early release/beta for like loving forever? And seems to be doing just fine with that extra dev time now that they're f2p.

I mean Early access get any new future hero for free so long as there are games which it takes me like 30 seconds to get a 2v2 or 3v3 so far I don't see issue with people paying not have giant f2p community in 2 months vs 10.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Here is why people want it to go F2P sooner rather than later:

Ranked 3s, the mode I like to play, can take like 2+ minutes to fire now and that sucks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

muon posted:

Ranked 3s, the mode I like to play, can take like 2+ minutes to fire now and that sucks.

Fixing the matchmaking/SR system could help at least. It seems like lots of interested people stopped playing because of their SR system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

muon posted:

I'm not sure what your point here is. That timeframe shows the Ruh Kaan/Jumong patch, and the game came out of that patch bump with a higher concurrent population than before it. Content patches always draw new players/see old players return, and some percentage of those stick around.

I mean, going F2P today would see a huge bump in new players, but the key metric is retention. They don't think the game is developed enough to retain players and there is some truth to that.

• Locked thread