Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Homestuck game seems like it's gonna happen still, that one is a different kind of mess than Kaiju Combat and its ilk. Also, from what I've been told, Kickstarter covers its legal bases pretty drat well, so I don't see a class action lawsuit ever sticking to them. If it was gonna happen it'd already have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, at least that one has a better reason in that the King's Quest '15 guys robbed them blind.

Yeah, I don't care about HS anymore but I can't blame Hussie for that happening.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Did the Homestuck game's Kickstarter promise that it would be anything other than the Telltale-style side story it's going to be?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Solitair posted:

Did the Homestuck game's Kickstarter promise that it would be anything other than the Telltale-style side story it's going to be?

It seems like it might be less of a sidestory than originally stated, actually.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cb45IfoJ-8
new shirts, this one is pretty cool

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, I don't care about HS anymore but I can't blame Hussie for that happening.

I, too, no longer care but also hold no ill intent toward the so-called Shamdrew Hussatan. For that guy to get way in over his head with a story thats ambition far outreached what a single man and a meager team could reasonably accomplish on their own, AND get hosed over by a bunch of opportunistic scumbags all in the space of a couple years is heartbreaking. Especially considering how excellent his earlier works had been.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Justice Sloth posted:

I, too, no longer care but also hold no ill intent toward the so-called Shamdrew Hussatan. For that guy to get way in over his head with a story thats ambition far outreached what a single man and a meager team could reasonably accomplish on their own, AND get hosed over by a bunch of opportunistic scumbags all in the space of a couple years is heartbreaking. Especially considering how excellent his earlier works had been.

I got him to sign a :sbahj: book at TCAF a couple years back and he looked loving tired.

And then someone gave him a huge painting of himself in a wedding dress

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

All this talk about bad KS games kind of reminds me of two fighting games that had all sorts of issues, but ended up in different places: Beast's Fury and Fightin' Herds.

Both of them started out on IndieGoGo (Which makes KS look clean as gently caress), both were fighting games and both had a decent amount of support. But Fightin' Herds, which started as an MLP fighting game, of all things, ended up getting leaked, shut down and went quiet. Beast's Fury ended up putting out a demo, and it actually looked good.

About a year later, and the creator was fighting with Mike Z on the Skullheart forums and refusing to return any sort of funding. The demo never got updates, no work got done, and he ends up taking his ball, putting out an 'apology' video, and going home with all that backer money.

Then, the MLP team comes back. They hired Lauren Faust for spritework, created a roster of actual characters and start doing streams every two weeks, which they're still doing. Characters are fleshed out, systems are built in and stuff actually looks pretty good for what, at the time, was a tossed together fangame. So it actually looks like one's going to get a release, while the other is long dead.

One thing to look for: How often does the team update? And what do they show? Seriously, check that poo poo before you put in some money, it's been a pretty good strategy for me so far.

In short, flex funding is usually a scam, and the fighting game community is kind of loving weird.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

I got him to sign a :sbahj: book at TCAF a couple years back and he looked loving tired.

And then someone gave him a huge painting of himself in a wedding dress

His decrepit monkey skeleton is propelled solely by licorice scotty dogs and equine fan art.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

J.A.B.C. posted:

In short, flex funding is usually a scam, and the fighting game community is kind of loving weird.

Flex funding in 100% a scam

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You know what else is a scam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBesHFU5NyM

I'm so glad David Cage blessed us with the gift that is Omikron.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Nowadays you just gotta ask yourself three questions: do you know these guys? Does the scope of the project matches the funding required (if you're in doubt, does the team explain to you where the money is going and if it's the only source of funding they have)? Do they already have a concept demo out? Then at least you can be sure the game is coming out. Of course, you can always get a Mighty Number 9, but them's the risks of crowdfunding.

Like, I still adore the concept of KS, Patreon and all that jazz. It's great that people can get their niche product funded by a niche audience. However, it is a new model, and there's still a lot of traps both backers and developers are learning to avoid. By the way, that's a pretty cool thing in itself, KS kinda forced people to learn about game development and real production costs. Remember the OUTRAGE at Skullgirls' DLC campaign values?

Also I'm still waiting for Heart Forth, Alicia because much like Liam I'll sell my body for more Metroidvanias.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Blockhouse posted:

It seems like it might be less of a sidestory than originally stated, actually.

I ask because one of my IRL friends said he expected a playable version of SBURB, which struck me as much too ambitious for a Kickstarter project, but I never checked the page while it was up except to look at the merch available for backer tiers that I couldn't afford, so for all I know that was the plan at one point.

Justice Sloth posted:

For that guy to get way in over his head with a story thats ambition far outreached what a single man and a meager team could reasonably accomplish on their own, AND get hosed over by a bunch of opportunistic scumbags all in the space of a couple years is heartbreaking. Especially considering how excellent his earlier works had been.

I still like most of Homestuck, and if the game comes out with good enough reviews I might watch a Let's Play of it. (But he absolutely should have waited until HS was finished before he launched a Kickstarter for a spin-off game.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Solitair posted:

I ask because one of my IRL friends said he expected a playable version of SBURB, which struck me as much too ambitious for a Kickstarter project, but I never checked the page while it was up except to look at the merch available for backer tiers that I couldn't afford, so for all I know that was the plan at one point.

I still like most of Homestuck, and if the game comes out with good enough reviews I might watch a Let's Play of it. (But he absolutely should have waited until HS was finished before he launched a Kickstarter for a spin-off game.)

If anything he should have work with a company that wasn't going to run off with the money

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, as far as I can remember the plan was "make an adventure game in the Homestuck universe", no SBURB-like promises or anything. Definitely not by the time the KS went live, so if someone believed that when they backed it, it's on them. The funny thing is that Hussie's plans were to finish the story in 2013 before starting work on the game...we all know how well that worked out, huh? I think dude bit a LOT more than he could chew with both his plot and the game, being scammed just made everything worse.

i hope hussie gets to finally rest in peace amongst his horsies and vriska (vriska)

Also MMX Command Mission picked up a bit. I'm still watching that on the background, the main issue with it is that they talk about the game TOO MUCH.

edit: ALSO also, lemme be an rear end in a top hat as per usual and point out that Pat saying "go listen to Bowie's many albums, which are astounding" is great considering he didn't know the fuckin' man who sold the world during the mgsv lp aaaa

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 23, 2016

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Dias posted:

Also MMX Command Mission picked up a bit. I'm still watching that on the background, the main issue with it is that they talk about the game TOO MUCH.

Man I love Megaman so god drat much and even I don't have the patience for the odyssey of needlessly contrived bullshit that is this game's premise.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Justice Sloth posted:

Man I love Megaman so god drat much and even I don't have the patience for the odyssey of needlessly contrived bullshit that is this game's premise.

Megaman is contrived bullshit, so that problem I can deal with easy. It just feels kinda uninteresting overall, it's a regular JRPG with way too many sub-mechanics. MMBN is dumber and has more variation and depth both in combat and in puzzles. It's also a series Woolie and Liam should never ever play unless Liam is actually real fuckin' good at it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm just waiting for the part where they finally decide to read Spider/Redips backwards.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dias posted:

Megaman is contrived bullshit, so that problem I can deal with easy. It just feels kinda uninteresting overall, it's a regular JRPG with way too many sub-mechanics. MMBN is dumber and has more variation and depth both in combat and in puzzles. It's also a series Woolie and Liam should never ever play unless Liam is actually real fuckin' good at it.

If Liam turned out to be good at it a MMBN LP would be great. Battles are fun to watch when the player knows what they're doing, and the dumb Saturday morning cartoon poo poo makes for great joke fodder.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SONIC UNLEASHED LP.

SPINDASH LET'S PLAYS ARE BACK.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got so scared at the start of the intro when only Liam and Woolie appeared on the window, thank god Matt's there.

e: ...is Liam loving avoiding the Boost?? My thumb is getting super antsy watching him not boost forward.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 24, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That the intro looks like TGT is such an amazing touch

e: wow HARD SHUTDOWN of Woolie's brexit joke

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 24, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Sonic has one of the best CG crew in the game industry"

I mean, if you take every single company and indie team in existence, yes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

"Sonic has one of the best CG crew in the game industry"

I mean, if you take every single company and indie team in existence, yes

I mean, they ARE pretty good. Not Blizzard or Squeenix but still, pretty good. Like, Sonic 06 still has pretty legit visuals.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't watch this why is he not boosting why

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Matt is bad at sports, the cleats with spikes are good.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I never understood why they made the werehog when they could have just used Knuckles for the fighting sections.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rhonne posted:

I never understood why they made the werehog when they could have just used Knuckles for the fighting sections.

I don't understand why it needed fight sections

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rhonne posted:

This is them taking a hard left from '06. One of the problems was too many playable characters with the same maps, so the solution in all games so far has been to go Sonic-only.

Also, Matt is right, these cartoony human designs are great. Except for that loving child.

Blockhouse posted:

Liam mentions that he doesn't like the reaction time you're given in this game and I can tell that this is the LP that'll make me scream at my screen. I'm usually good with seeing them play things badly, even with games I've played as well, but I put too many hours into the daytime segments in this and Generations. I don't wanna think of how bad it'll feel on those maps with long stretches that are made for boosting.

Oh god i s2g if Liam doesn't boost through the section of Rooftop Run in the alleyway....

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 24, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rhonne posted:

-the werehog design focus-tested extremely well with children
-they wanted to be able to say "Sonic's the only playable character" but still wanted to flip-flop between different gameplay styles

I don't understand why it needed fight sections

The daytime stages took an obscenely long time to make relative to how much time you spend in them and there was no way they were going to be able to make a sufficiently long game of just daytime levels; the nighttime stages were much faster/easier to make and could be made in parallel to the daytime stages so they were the most efficient way of lengthening the game, basically.

It's easy to forget that Unleashed was a really pretty console game for its time and some of the effects like the lighting were actually watered down in Generations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just finished the train saga in taz. the way taako gets away with all the loot is loving hilarious.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-they wanted to be able to say "Sonic's the only playable character" but still wanted to flip-flop between different gameplay styles

The daytime stages took an obscenely long time to make relative to how much time you spend in them and there was no way they were going to be able to make a sufficiently long game of just daytime levels; the nighttime stages were much faster/easier to make and could be made in parallel to the daytime stages so they were the most efficient way of lengthening the game, basically.

It's easy to forget that Unleashed was a really pretty console game for its time and some of the effects like the lighting were actually watered down in Generations.

Adding to this: The 3D Sonic games have been looooong games up to that point.
SA is 8-12 hours
SA2 goes 9-18 hours
S06 is 18ish
Secret Rings goes to 9
And this game is 12 or so hours, with the vast majority being talking or werehog. You just don't sell games that don't take you over nine hours!

Then Colors and Generations cut the fat and made them 5 or so hours, with Generations selling for 40 dollars at launch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Don't you have to get it as a powerup in Unleashed? Or is the thing I'm thinking of just a... boost to the boost?

I remember getting really pissed because there's a boost that gets added to the same button as the homing attack so I would keep accidentally launching into space when I wanted to home into something that the game hadn't locked onto.

Edit: Nevermind he just mentioned it and used it, must be an upgrade.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 24, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Phantasium posted:

Don't you have to get it as a powerup in Unleashed? Or is the thing I'm thinking of just a... boost to the boost?

I remember getting really pissed because there's a boost that gets added to the same button as the homing attack so I would keep accidentally launching into space when I wanted to home into something that the game hadn't locked onto.

Edit: Nevermind he just mentioned it and used it, must be an upgrade.

it's not an upgrade

it's literally a core mechanic of the game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

it's not an upgrade

it's literally a core mechanic of the game

No I remembered that, I was just thinking about the air boost upgrade that fucks up your homing jump and was initially mistaking that for the boost at large.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heck I think the daytime stages don't even exist on Wii.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got a 2ds for dirt cheap a while ago, will the new pokemon work on it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I got a 2ds for dirt cheap a while ago, will the new pokemon work on it

Yes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sweet, haven't had a pokemon game since red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

HGH posted:

Heck I think the daytime stages don't even exist on Wii.

There are fewer daytime stages but it still feels relatively even for most of the game because the nighttime stages are shorter and you don't have to grind them for levels.

Then you hit the final zome with 5:1 nighttime stages and uuuugh

Liam is still getting off way, way too easy with this game. There are entire games of sub-werehog combat that he plays every week for fun. I also think I just prefer the dynamic of "Liam insists a game doesn't suck while the others sandbag him" to "Liam insists a game is bad and the others politely agree".